Chapter 19
41 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reverie - Home Page


Natalin turned slowly, a smile painted onto her face. She was working her hardest to keep it looking like a smile, rather than the grimace it was beginning to resemble.

The temple was full. It was only expected, she told herself. Efren’s doors were open more often than not, and there was a steady flow of sailors and merchants passing through their halls, but this was different.

This was the day a week when she was tasked with wandering, listening to her god’s people and seeing to their needs.

Whatever that meant.

“And, I’ve always told ‘im,” a woman said from in front of her. A band of cloth held her hair back, bleached to white and worn almost through from a thousand washings but perfectly crisp. “I told ‘im, the next time he ignored the wind, t’would catch up with ‘im. I said so. And now ‘e went out there and-”

Natalin nodded her head, trying to sort through everything being thrown her way. These prayers weren’t for her, she knew. They were for Efren. There was nothing she could do to help a wayward ship, late to port. But standing there, surrounded by the whispers and murmur, the way the woman’s voice shook and the sheer trust in her eyes, it was almost more than the young Tideborn could bear.

She licked her lips, realizing that the woman had come to a stop at last. “I-I’m sure,” she began, catching herself a moment later as her voice cracked. “I’m sure that your Jessam will come home, mistress.”

“But what if he-”

“I will implore the Everdeep on your behalf.” The words were practiced, a line Gerd had fed her from the moment she’d started walking these halls. They’d always felt cheap to her, too canned. Too rehearsed.

In moments like that, though, it was all she could fall back on.

With a swish of a silver-stitched hem, a seer swooped in. The woman was ushered off to another corner of the temple, set against a man Natalin recognized as one of the temple’s apprentices.

She sighed, letting the tension slowly bleed away. Her neck ached, sore from constantly having to peer up into the eyes of sailor after sailor. For people who spent their whole lives living in close quarters, too many of them were big.

Natalin knew she was supposed to mingle, though. It was important for the people of Ondria to feel like they were connected, like their prayers were being heard. Pressing her hand against the back of her neck and stretching for a single, blissful moment, she let it go, and returned to scanning the crowd. Somewhere out there, her next charge was-

“Mistress,” a voice said from behind her. Natalin jumped, stopping herself before she could squeak in a manner completely unbefitting her coming ascension.

Another of the temple’s seers stood at her shoulder, tugging on the sleeve of her jacket. “Maltar,” she said, letting the last of her shock come out as a ragged exhalation. Her eyebrows pulled together as she took in the sight of him - the sweat glistening on his temples, the way his brown hair was in disarray. “What’s wrong?” she said, beginning to draw herself upright.

The seer shook his head hurriedly. “N-No. Nothing, my lady.”

Her lips curled down. “My name is-”

“The steward sent for you. He told me to fetch you.”

Natalin’s feet moved purely on instinct, twitching for the door - and then she stopped, glancing back towards the packed temple. “But...I’m supposed to.”

Maltar shifted uncomfortably, his eyes dropping to the ground. “Apologies, mistress. He seemed to think it was important. He told me to inform you visitation duties were lifted for the afternoon.”

It was Natalin’s turn to shift, rolling his words over in her mind. Gerd cancelling her chores was one of the last things she’d have expected. But if it was his instruction…

“I’m on my way,” she said, inclining her upper half in Maltar’s direction. In truth, the gesture was more akin to a nod than a bow - but he flinched all the same, going white as bone, and skittered back.

He’d vanished around a corner by the time she straightened, staring after him.

And then she muttered something under her breath, something low and dark and bitter, and strode for the door leading deeper into the temple.


The halls were quiet as she slipped through them, her boots clicking against the floorboards. The seers were all occupied, after all, busying themselves with the day’s tasks. Things which she should be helping with, the thoughts in the back of her head whispered.

She picked up the pace, her steps accelerating. The temple just wasn’t the same, when she was alone. A shiver ran down her spine. It was nonsense, she told herself. They were still in the middle of the city. The homes were wiped from sight by the wall, yes, and the only sound she could hear was the rush of water and the crooning of the wind, but it was still Efren’s home. She was safe.

All the same, she breathed a sigh of relief as she came around the corner by the temple’s front and saw a cluster of people standing at the ready.

Gerd turned at her approach, his smile going wooden at the sight of her. “Natalin,” he said, his tone carefully cheerful. “At last, you decide to grace us with your presence. I thought I told Maltar to-”

“You didn’t tell him where you’d be,” she hissed, her chin dropping defensively. “I’m sorry.” In a brief moment of panic, she remembered that she hadn’t exactly asked, either.

The air around them thickened, soaking through with enough humidity to make her breath come heavy. Efren coalesced before she could so much as cough, his head high and his jacket flapping gently in the breeze.

“What’s all this, now?” the god said, folding his arms. He shifted from foot to foot, standing alongside her.

The rest of the group looked up - and stared at Natalin. Her face flushed at the sudden attention, at the feeling of eight pairs of eyes on her.

It was Takio’s group, she realized - and he stood in the center, glancing to Efren in an instant.

Natalin flinched, half-stepping backward as the air between the Charred and her exploded into searing, glimmering heat. Shiina stepped from the sparks, landing on the floorboards with a bounce of red hair.

She lingered, her hand resting on Takio’s shoulder. Efren shifted, passing his weight from foot to foot. “You can’t be leaving already, sister.”

“Now, now,” Shiina said, glancing to him. Her eyes shimmered, changing slowly between brilliant gold and glowing orange. “We have other obligations, Efren. Drenwell is still expecting our presence.”

“Rellan and his shifty little brother can wait,” Efren said. “You’ve only just arrived not a week ago. Really, you can’t-”

“Apologies, Everdeep,” Takio said, stepping forward so that he was half a pace in front of his goddess. Natalin paused, watching him. His skin was a bit pale, and he didn’t quite seem to be able to meet the water god’s eyes, but his tone was properly respectful.

He didn’t sound so polite when we were alone.

Peace, girl.

She crossed her arms, hearing in the god’s silent tone that he wasn’t interested in hearing her complaints right then.

Takio straightened from his bow, none the wiser that he’d missed out on an entire conversation. “It seems we’re needed back in Naraan,” he said, glancing back over his shoulder. Antiel stood at the front of his group, nodding solemnly. “It’s not...well, it’s best that we return to the mountain sooner rather than later.”

“But you’re still going to go to Drenwell,” Natalin heard herself say. “That’s-”

Shiina surged forward, leaping from the balls of her feet. Natalin spluttered to a stop as the goddess wrapped her in an embrace.

“Oh, really, child,” Shiina said. She beamed up at Natalin, her smile perfectly white and altogether too sharp. “Something like my boy’s introduction to the others is not so easily canceled. We are merely taking every precaution, after all.”

“If it’s important enough you’re leaving early, that doesn’t sound so inconsequential,” Natalin heard Efren say from alongside her. With Shiina still pinning her in place, she couldn’t so much as twitch in his direction.

Takio made a face. Natalin watched from over the Flameweaver’s shoulder as he scratched his head, still not meeting her master’s eyes. “Shiina’s hearing more prayers, that’s all. It seems that things aren’t as resolved as we thought. Nothing’s happened, yet. We think.”

“But he should still be there, among my children,” Shiina said, pulling free of Natalin at last. She crossed to Efren in a single bounding leap, clutching his hands in hers. “You understand, yes?”

“I’ve hardly seen you in a decade,” Efren said, smiling down at her. He pulled one hand free, dropping it onto her head and ruffling her hair from side to side. “Don’t fault me for being jealous when you leave early to spend time with our cousins.”

“It’ll take time for the vanguard to properly assemble at Ranctur,” Takio said. Natalin flinched, turning back to face him and his group. He was watching her. “We’ll be just fine, but thank you for your concern.”

His tone was just as biting as ever. She frowned at him, wiping the expression clear a second later.

“The riverlord was expecting to treat with you at the end of the week,” Gerd said from alongside her, stepping forward. Natalin glanced to him, wondering for a single second if he knew Efren and Shiina were among them. Probably, she decided. Even if they’d chosen not to reveal themselves to him, a mortal, he was accomplished enough that he’d probably feel them anyway. He certainly seemed nonplussed as he crept forward, resting one hand on her shoulder. “He was supposed to meet you with the rest of the council when you-”

“I’m sorry,” Takio said, something that looked like irritation flashing across his face. “I can’t stay. He’ll just have to-”

Natalin smothered a chuckle as Antiel kicked Takio in the shin. He’d probably intended the move to be discreet, but she saw the way the white-haired young man scowled. “There’s no doubt that we’ll be in Ondria again over the coming years,” Antiel said, pushing up alongside his charge. “It’s unfortunate that we weren’t able to meet them on this trip, but our duties care nothing for convenience or plans.”

She saw Gerd nod from the corner of her eye, his posture decidedly deferential. “Of course. I’ll convey that to him.”

“Takio,” one of the other Narai said, inching up. His eyes flicked to Natalin - and when he spoke, it wasn’t in Ondrian. Natalin glowered at him, recognizing she’d been excluded from the conversation, but the intent of it was clear.

Sure enough, Takio spun a second later, grabbing for the rucksack at his feet. “The horses are ready. We really shouldn’t delay, Waterbinder.” His expression was almost apologetic.

Natalin nodded quickly, seeing his orange eyes dart to her. “T-Thank you for making the journey here,” she said, remembering herself before Gerd could elbow her. “We look forward to seeing you more in the coming months.”

“Thanks for having us,” Takio said, hoisting the bag onto his shoulder. It bounced there, setting the sword slung over his shoulder to rattling.

“We eagerly anticipate your visit to our own halls, in a year or two,” Antiel said, scowling at Takio once the realization the Charred was done talking had sunk in.

Takio snorted. “Try and find a real weapon by then.”

Natalin opened her mouth, ready to retort, but the Narai turned as one.

Shiina lingered a moment longer, burying Efren in a bear hug. When she turned, looking over her shoulder to where her Narai were even then vanishing down the hall, Natalin heard her sigh. “Until then, brother,” she said at last. Her hand snapped out, her fingers dancing against Natalin’s cheek. The goddess’s nails were as sharp as talons against her cheek.

And then she vanished, dissolving into an ever-expanding cloud of embers.

The distant screech of wood against wood echoed down the hall. Shaking his head, Efren sighed. Droplets of dew scattered against the floor as he dissolved to nothingness.

And then the door slammed shut and dropped them back into sudden silence.

Natalin stood where she was, staring towards where the Narai had disappeared and feeling as though a whirlwind had just passed through. Gerd didn’t move either. For a long moment, the only sound was the quiet rippling of water under the temple’s stilted decks.

And then the steward cleared his throat. “Well.”

She’d had plans. Duties to attend to, obligations that were laid out for her. All of that had vanished along with their guests. Natalin shook her head slowly, glancing up towards her teacher. “Do you think-”

“I think you’re expected back in the main hall,” Gerd said, pursing his lips and giving her a look down the length of his nose.

“What?” she said, trying not to screech. She was pretty sure she’d failed. “But I just-”

“Don’t give me lip, girl. They’re gone. There’s business to be done.” His lips trembled. For a second, she thought she saw him smile. A horrible smile, but a smile all the same. “I hope you enjoyed your vacation.”

Her eyebrows pulled together, her mouth dropping open - but he’d turned on his heel, cutting off any attempt by her to argue. “Hurry, now. They’re expecting you out there.”

Despite herself, despite her irritation at being shunted aside again, Natalin found her feet were moving. The diviner was right, however much it rankled.

She settled for glancing back over her shoulder and sticking her tongue out at the rapidly receding shape of his back.

And then she trudged on, working her way back towards the temple’s entrance and the masses waiting there.

1