13: Complications
9.8k 24 231
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Sylvia's point of view-

I met quite a strange pair. A human and a Mazoku traveling together is quite rare. Even if all the races must ignore their grudges in Lyndwurm, the hatred between these 2 races still stands. And yet, these 2 defy that logic.

The human Yurishia is an odd one. She's acting like she is the boss of the spider girl Nelia. Yet normally something like that is unthinkable. It is common knowledge that for Mazoku horns are a sign of status. Judging by Nelia's horns she should be someone important. 

And Yurishia is really stiff. For someone like me who can't leave Lyndwurm, hearing stories about what other places are like is my only escape. Yet she was very rigid when I asked about her village.

The most shocking part was her strength. When she killed the dimensional monster she used demon magic. That shouldn't be possible. Not to mention she displayed holy magic too. Just who are these two? 

I decided to brush those feelings aside. They promised they wouldn't bring any harm to the town. My only duty is the protection of the town. If they will leave then I don't need to look into it. Even after our adventure was over and returned to Lyndwurm they assured me that their business is almost finished.

That was supposed to be the last time I saw those girls. Or so I thought. As I was getting my shoulder treated, one of the knights under my command came looking for me.

"Lady Sylvia, pardon the intrusion."

"Oh, it's you Rolland. It's fine. Did something come up?"

"Sure did. You heard about Titania Prison Island, right?"

"Yes. What about it?"

"It seems someone escaped. I was supposed to hand out these wanted posters to our men, but I thought I should inform you first."

"Hmm? But Rolland, that has nothing to do with us. You know very well that we don't get ourselves involved with that sort of stuff."

"Tell me about it. It goes against our rules. But we don't have much choice. This is an order directly from count Loyd. We can't really do anything about it. If we see her, we gotta apprehend her."

"Her?"

"Oh yeah. This is who we are looking for."

As I take one of the posters I couldn't believe my eyes. The woman in that picture… it was lady Yurishia. What strange fate is this? I thought I would never have to deal with her again.

I don't want to face her. I could just close an eye, keep the knights away from her and let her leave town. Then she'll be outside of our jurisdiction. But if I do that and the count finds out… my mother…

"You did well, Rolland. I'll take it from here."

"Eh? You mean you saw her? Shouldn't I go gather our troops?"

"No. And please don't inform them just yet. This is something I will do alone."

"Are you sure? None of us doubts your skills but wouldn't it be better…"

"Rolland, are you questioning my orders?"

"No! Not all! I understand! Then I will leave it to you!"

Out of chivalry and the honour of a knight, I must be the one that brings her in. I am the only one who can.

------

"It's ready."

I watched as the old elf finished brewing the tea. I had to pretend to pay close attention since I said I needed this for my village so I had to get the order right. 

"That's all?"

"Yes. This will definitely cancel the erosion."

"You drink it first."

"I beg your pardon?"

"I need to make sure it isn't drugged or poisoned."

"My God, what reason would I have to do that?"

For all I know you secretly want to kill me. You randomly popped up and offered to help me. It felt too convenient. I'm not gonna just trust you blindly. I need to be cautious.

"If the tea is good then there really is no reason to deny my request."

The elf took the cup and drank the tea.

"See? It's perfectly fine."

"Fine."

I poured another cup for me and drank it in one gulp. It didn't taste bad, but it was a bit sour. 

"Miss, didn't you say this was for your village? Why did you drink it too?"

"Just to make sure it's good."

I didn't know what other answer to give. Eventually I gave the elf a nasty stare. He remained content with getting a few flowers for himself and didn't pry any further. It was finally back to just me and Nelia.

"Lady Yurishia, maybe you should try being friendlier to people."

"Spare me. I don't have the mood and time to waste on trivial things. Let's just go and get the ship ready. I don't want to be around here when I shed this body."

"Ara, so the tea worked?"

"Yes. I can feel that the erosion is vanishing. We can be on our way."

"Where do you want to go?"

"Where else? That Demon King Academy you mentioned."

"About that… I said there are more issues that need to be handled."

"Like what?"

"Not just anyone can enroll. Your former companions made nobility stand out. For anyone that isn't pure blooded, they developed some requirements to reduce the numbers of those allowed to enter."

"And just what are those requirements?"

"Firstly you must have a minimum of 5 servants. So for now you lack 4 more followers. And secondly you must pass their aptitude test."

A master-servant contract, can only be made by a limited number of authorized people, and as you would expect, the fee that needs paid isn't cheap. Not everyone can afford it. This doesn't affect me though, as I can make contracts myself. As for the test I'm not worried. Now then, where can I find more slaves? I won't pick up just anyone.

"Hold it right there!"

I turned my head around to the voice that was calling us.

"I've finally found you."

"Sylvia?"

"Yurishia, you and I need to talk. Right now!"

231