32: Solo quest
7.1k 14 169
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I left the city and dashed towards the forest, keeping my eyes peeled for anything suspicious. Since prison this is the first time I am alone again. At least this way I can go wild if needed. It's nice to have company, but sometimes if you want a job done right you have to do it yourself. 

I jumped from tree to tree and sprinted across this small forest. Eventually I felt it. A faint fragrance in the air. It was a sweet mix of lavender and crabapple. I activate my Ruin Eyes to detect it's trace. Just like in funny cartoons I could see a trail of smoke-ish scent. 

So I went after it. When I reached a cliff it was like the moss spread all across the wall made way and opened like a door. Surprisingly there was also a path to walk on and get there.

I stood by the entrance. And there I saw it. It was quite a vile scene. A scene from a horror movie. Girls suspended by plant like tentacles getting constantly raped. It's almost like this plant has a will of it's own. I could tell that the moment I reached the entrance it released an even powerful dose of pheromones to make me come inside. But it was pointless. It can't affect me if I don't breathe it. And I'm pretty good at holding my breath.

But these poor girls… they are all lifeless puppets before these tentacles. How should I handle this? The easiest way out would be to collapse this place all together. I'm not a hero of justice. But sadly… I'm not heartless. The only ones I will brutally murder are those 3 bastards. And besides, the quest form told me to bring back survivors.

I took small steps inside. When I got close enough… gigantic claws came swinging down. I evaded with the minimum amount of movement. When I turned around, it was a bear. It was a monster with the outward appearance that seemed like it was a fancy teddy bear. A bear that looks like a green bush. 

"I don't have time to deal with small fry. Get blown away! [Lightning Bullet]!"

My spell fired and a hole was drilled into the bears body blowing it away. But that wasn't the end. Several more bears came bustling. Is this the plants defense mechanism or something?"

"[Chain Lighting]!"

It was magic that dealt a powerful lightning attack to a whole crowd of enemies.

*Bachi bachi* Sparks scattered, and the group of bears spasmed. Although their exteriors were burnt black, they came charging in. Dang. These things sure are sturdy. But I can't afford to use too powerful magic. 

"[Ice Storm]!"

An intense squall of cold air was produced, and ran wild around the enemy. The monsters were freezing up.

*Gugaaaa!!*

They roared. Then they were smashed to pieces. Finally. They were extremely annoying.

The tentacles tried wrapping around me but just unleashing my aura was enough to blow them away. Something still feels wrong here. 

"Hey! How come you aren't affected by the pheromones?"

The one that appeared from the shadow of a pillar was a male Dwarf. Since a majority of his face was hidden with a rich beard, I couldn’t tell his age, but going by his voice, he was in the prime of his life. The man wore a full-body metal armor, and he held a dark grey axe in his hand.

"Were you expecting me?"

Mazoku anatomy is different from humans. I don't know why. But I can hold my breath and talk at the same time. This is an advantage although it feels weird. 

"Kuh. Did you come to ruin my business?"

"Business? I'm just here to get rid of these weeds."

"Bwah! The parasite plant is needed. I need to constantly feed it women so I can collect it's nectar. I won't let you get in the way of my gold mine!"

Sheesh! I know that dwarves like gold but this guy is completely crazy. He proudly held up the axe that shined in grey.

As might be expected of the Dwarf race that boasted proficiency in weapons making, it looked like it was top quality. Guess he wants to use force.

"You're such a fool. Very well. Try to amuse me with your look when you miserably fall."

Fast! While I was talking this guy charged at me. Dwarfs aren't very fast. His gear probably gave him short speed bursts. I prepared the magic barrier Fuka and was ready to take his blow.

"You fell for it!"

The moment they touched his axe emitted a brilliant radiance and my barrier vanished! What!? No. Even Einehal didn't make by barrier disappear. It simply cut through it. Does that weapon have some form of magic nullifying ability? I had no choice but to twist my body and dodge.

"Don't get carried away you small fry. [Flare Burst]!"

An explosion done through magic sprung forth. Within those flames, the two-handed axe Dwarf laughed.

The magic had no effect!? Is this similar to the armour Borgeos used years ago? I thought it was one of a kind. I unconsciously did a back step. If my reflexes didn't kick in, my body might have split in two. There was a large cut on my chest. Blood spilled on the floor.

"Guh……!?"

"Your magic is pointless before my axe and armor."

So I was right. It was his gear.

"This time, it's over! I'll cut your arm and knock you unconscious. The parasite plant can have you then."

Once more he came rushing. I stood upright, healing my wound in the process. His axe struck into my shoulder. But it didn't go all the way through. My bones… are quite hard. 

"What the!?"

Of course I felt pain. But I didn't raise a single scream. This guy right now… is too slow. Faster than he could pull out the axe, I lunged my palm at him.

The martial art Finger Blade, changes a bare hand to have the power of a dagger. The enemy’s armor specialized in anti-magic. In other words, its defenses against physical attacks were meagre. Adding my claws on top… With my hand blade, I pierced his armor and reached his flesh. 

"With this, the armor’s ability is meaningless! [Twilight Destruction]!!"

"Gogaaaaaaaaaaaー!?"

He screamed desperately. It was a wind and light Magic. With whirlwind cuts and lightning, it tears the opponent to pieces from the inside. Its an attack that continually gives damage for a fixed time while paralyzing the opponent. Without a doubt, this guy died. As for his weapon… something like this shouldn't exist. So I just destroyed it.

"Now let's take care of these weeds. Freezing them seems like my best bet. These girls might catch a cold, but they've already been through worse. So let's get this quest over with already."

169