Chapter 86: Coffee, Apple Juice and Conversation
1.5k 41 94
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Yesterday (two days ago for you) a story of mine trended again! It was on place 8 but it had been a while so I was happy about it nonetheless.

“Pancakes, waffles, crêpes, doughballs, sorbets, coupes of ice-cream… and that’s not even half the menu yet.” I commented as I was going through the entire list. “How do they even keep up with it.” 

“I don’t know, Auro, I just know that they do.” Em shrugged. “I think I’ll just go for a strawberry crêpe.” 

“Hmmm… these deep-fried doughnut balls sound good… but then again… this shop does specialize in crêpes doesn’t it?” 

“It’s not that it’s their specialty that you have to pick it.” Em replied. “Otherwise it wouldn’t be on their menu.” 

“As long as you don’t order something vegetarian in a restaurant that is known for its meat dishes.” Helen said, she was also still browsing. “I had a friend who told me that a friend of theirs had asked for a salad in this one restaurant that specializes in ribs… but then again… her date had just brought her along without asking beforehand if she was a vegetarian. That date didn’t go over too well.” 

“Ouch.”

“How do you ask someone out without knowing they are vegetarian?” Em looked at Helen. 

“It happens. Some people just aren’t very good at planning dates.” Helen shrugged. 

“At least we’ve never had that issue.” Ria smiled. 

“That’s just because she’s not asked us on many dates yet, Ria.” 

“Wow, that’s rude.” I laughed. “I’ve been to many places with the two of you.” 

“Weren’t dating yet, so that doesn’t count.”

“The lady has got a point, Aurora.” Helen supported Em’s claim.   

“Alright then.” I surrendered. “But I’ll definitely take you lots of places in the future.” 

“I know you will!” Ria replied before she looked back at the menu card in front of her. “Yet I do not know what to order.” What a smooth transition.

“Maybe let’s start with a milkshake so you have a bit more time to think about it.” Em proposed.

“Yeah, sounds good. As long as I don’t need to drink one.” I waved over one of the waitresses, who came over pretty much immediately. 

 

Em ordered a banana milkshake and Ria a strawberry one. As for Helen and myself, she just ordered a black coffee while I went for some fresh apple juice. In the meantime, Ria was still trying to decide what to order. 

I’d already made up my mind to go for a blueberry crêpe. 

“Do you need some help deciding, Ria?” I asked and scooted over so I could see her menu a bit better. 

“I don’t know, Rora. Everything sounds so tasty.” 

“Why not go for this Japanese styled crêpe with strawberry and banana? You always talked about wanting to try one of those, right?” 

“Hmmm…” 

“Don’t you want to?” 

“I do… but…” 

“But what?” 

“Wouldn’t it be weird?” 

“It’s on the menu for a reason, you silly.” I booped her nose with my index finger. 

“It’s not weird at all.” Em assisted. 

“See, go for it. There’s nothing wrong with liking Japanese stuff, even if it’s from manga or anime. And if anyone ever gives you shit about it, Em and I are going to kick their ass. And Helen would as well.” 

“Definitely. Insulting the partner of my employer’s daughter is worth a very stern talking to.” Helen nodded with an icy calmness in her eyes. -Helen, as long as you don’t kill them, I’m fine with that…- 

“Okay, then I’ll take it!” Ria’s smile melted away all that was bad in this world. 

When the waitress came back with our milkshakes and Helen’s coffee, we ordered our food. Helen just chose a normal pancake, and the three of us each ordered our crêpes. 

Our food arrived not that long afterwards, which was a bit surprising if you looked at the amount of people present. I hadn’t even started on my apple juice yet. 

 

“I have a question, lady Aurora.” Helen looked at me while she sipped from her coffee. 

“What's your question?” I mimicked her with my glass of apple juice.

“Why did you not want to order a milkshake?”

“Ah, Auro really doesn’t like milk.” Em replied. 

“You don’t?” 

“No, I really don't. I’ve never liked it. Don’t ask me why I don’t like it, it’s a mixture between the taste and the texture, I suppose. Why didn’t you order a milkshake?” 

“Lactose intolerance.” She replied. “And the lactose free milkshakes never tasted that good to me.” 

“Oh, so you can’t eat most pizza either?” 

“Yes.” Helen nodded. “I still can if I want to, it’s not like I would die because of it, my stomach would just really not agree with my life’s choices and when you need to be in a car for your job, it’s really not great.” 

“Ah… I understand.” 

“And I like my coffee like this, it’s actually also a really good blend they are using here.” 

“I can’t say I have much experience with coffee. And tea isn’t really my thing either. The only tea I have at home is for Ria or Em… and occasionally I buy some for a classmate too.” 

“I think I’ve heard of her, President Darjeeling?” 

“No, Rosehip.” Emma chuckled. 

“Right.” Helen nodded and started cutting up her pancake. 

Ria was still staring at her Japanese crêpe. 

“Are you not going to eat it?” I laughed. 

“It looks so beautiful! I don’t want to destroy it.” 

“But I’m sure it’ll taste even better, Ria.” 

“Buuuuh.” Ria pouted. 

“We could always immortalize it by taking a picture of it.” Em proposed and took out her phone. 

“I can take a picture of the three of you.” Helen offered. 

“What do you think, Ria? If you take a picture of it, you’ll be able to look at it whenever you want and eat it right now.” I looked back at my girlfriend. 

“And we’ll have a nice picture to commemorate our date.” Em added on top of that. 

“Alright then!” Ria didn’t actually need that much to be convinced, but hey, a picture would be nice for everyone to have around… potentially for a new phone background as well.

Em handed her phone over to Helen, who stood up from her seat. With Ria in the center, both Em and I leaned into her while she was holding her crêpe.

“Everyone, smile.” Helen said. The flash went off a second or two later. “Doesn’t it look too blurry?” She handed the phone back over to Emma. 

“No, it’s perfect...” Em smiled at the picture and then showed it to Ria and I.

The picture was just great. The light through the window just made the entire scene almost look heavenly. My girlfriends just looked radiant and I completely loved it. “Looks like we need another picture frame. I want this picture in the living room.” I replied with a big smile on my face. “If it continues like this I’ll have to move just because I need more wall-space. 

“Are you planning on moving, Aurora?” Helen asked. 

Fuck, I probably shouldn’t have said anything. “Uh… In the near future… perhaps. I… Uh… I have a pretty good job lined up already… It’s more like an apprenticeship but it pays really well.” 

“I see… I hope it’s nothing shady?” 

“You can rest assured, Helen. Auro has gone over it with the two of us, she just got really lucky by meeting some good people.” 

“Well, if my lady says so, who am I to say otherwise?” Helen nodded and then stood up from her seat. “Please excuse me, I need to use the bathroom.” 

 

At pretty much the same time, the lady that was accompanying Aileen also stood up, probably for a bathroom break as well. Once the two of them disappeared out of sight, Aileen started talking to us. 

“Aurora, you are quite the security risk, aren't you?”

“It’s fixed, nothing to worry about.” I scratched my neck. “But it’s unavoidable to keep moving houses hidden for long though… So I guess it’s fine that she already hinted at it?” 

“That’s true.” Aileen looked over her shoulder and then continued. “But ain’t this a small world? Quite the coincidence to walk into each other like this.” 

“Are you on a date, Aileen?” Ria asked. 

“It’s pretty obvious, isn’t it, Ria?” Em looked at Ria. 

Aileen chuckled. “Yeah, I am. She’s a nice lass. Pretty good kisser too.” 

“Ria, quickly, cover your ears!” I laughed. 

“Eehh? But I want to hear all about it!” 

“Haha.” Aileen laughed at our little joke. “She likes ice-cream a lot, so I decided to take her here since it’s a pretty renowned shop. And the three of you went shopping?” 

“Yep, we had to buy Aurora some clothes.” Em answered her question. 

“I see, it fits you pretty well.” 

“Thanks.” I chuckled awkwardly. 

“And the other lady is your bodyguard?” Aileen turned herself to Em. 

“Yeah, Helen’s my family’s driver.” 

“She looks pretty cool, do you know if she likes women?” 

“Aileen! You’re on a date!” I protested. 

“Hey, all of my partners know that I only do open relationships and they are all more than happy with it. I wouldn’t do it without mutual consent, you know.” Aileen looked back behind her. “Oh, they are coming back, time to act normal again.” She winked and then pretended to take some bites from her ice-cream as Helen returned. 

The three of us couldn’t help but blush as she returned to the table unknowingly. 

“What’s up with the three of you?” Helen tilted her head. 

“Uh… nothing… Auro just made a… risky… joke.” 

“Wha…” -Thanks for throwing me under the bus, Em. How do I bullshit my way out of this?- At least Em’s expression told me that she was sorry for doing that. -You are definitely going to have to make this up to me.- 

In what way should Em make it up to Auro? :3

94