Chapter 121: Merry X-Mas!?(??)
1.2k 28 70
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I'm going to Malta in September. I can't wait, I'm so hyped for it!!

We wasted no time to get in our cozy sweaters, even though the outfits we were wearing wouldn’t really match anymore, it just felt like the right thing, and the most fun thing to do. After that we collected all the wrapping material, of which there was plenty, and stuffed it all in a cardboard box that had been hiding next to one of the cabinets earlier. Ilse said she would probably make some creation of papier-mâché with it so the packaging paper would definitely not go to waste.

With our cozy sweaters on, we all stayed in the sofas next to the fireplace. 

“If I might ask, Aurora, when do you think you are going to do a housewarming party?” Em’s mom asked. 

“I wasn’t really planning on doing one… but with all these gifts I might have to hold one after all.” I chuckled. 

“Please do tell us if you decide on it, we’d love to come and visit.” 

“You don’t need to wait for a party to visit. My door is always open to you. You are Em’s family, after all.” I smiled. 

“Doesn’t it get lonely?” Paul asked. “I heard it’s a rather big house.” 

“Pff, not really.” I shrugged. “I have my cat and Em and Ria are over plenty often. Besides, the granny next door is really nice and she has already invited me over to dinner once after I had done her groceries.” 

“She’s a nice lady.” Em nodded. 

Ilse smiled. “That’s good then. But why doesn’t your mom visit you more often?” 

While Ilse’s questions were rather inquisitorial, I could understand from a worrying mom point of view, so I didn’t mind answering them at all. “My mom is a rather busy lady. But if I call her or send her a message, she always makes time for me.” 

“Ah, so it’s someone like my husband.” 

Paul pouted a little but that quickly stopped when Ilse squeezed his thigh and giggled. 

“Plus, I have this adoptive uncle too who comes over once in a while too.”

“An uncle as well?” 

Em rolled her eyes. “Yeah, Auro and him like to duke it out.” 

“Have you met him?” Em’s mom turned her attention to herself. 

“Yes, before she moved. He’s a rather peculiar type, but he’s a really good person.” 

“Sounds like you found a nice family, Aurora.” Ilse looked back at me. 

“Well, I think it’s more accurate to say that they found me, but you are right, they are really nice.” And that wasn’t even a lie. They had accepted me fully as one of their own and have nothing but helped me along my journey. While they might not be always that present, it does feel like I have a family looking after me… and that does feel pretty darn nice. So does Em’s family of course, but it’s still quite a bit different… unless Em’s family are ‘tomato-juice enjoyers’ too… Probably not though, if I’d go off of Em, they would way more likely be a family of succubi. 

 

“Anyway.” Em’s mom clapped her hands. “Are you ready for dessert? I know I’m already getting a little bit hungry again.” 

“Yes!” Ria called out. 

“Can’t say I’m that hungry but the will is there.” Em chuckled. 

“Same goes for me.” I winked at her. 

“Okay, could you go and get it, honey?” Ilse asked, looking at her husband. From the looks of it, he was already getting ready to head over to the kitchen. 

So he just nodded with a smile and walked off. He was only gone for a minute before he returned again with another trolley. This one had three magnificent cakes on top of it.

“Woah, I’m not sure we will be able to eat all that.” Even with Ria’s help, that’d be rather difficult. 

“Don’t worry, these cakes last a while. It’s always nice to have as a little snack after dinner or in the evening when you get a little hungry in front of your fireplace. Feel free to take home a bit as well.” She looked at Ria and I. 

“I think my parents would appreciate that.” Ria smiled. It was nice to see her be able to talk about her parents with a smile on her face again. 

“I wouldn’t mind taking some of it home myself, either.” I nodded. While I admit that I’m not the biggest dessert enthusiast, these cakes did look really good. 

Em’s dad pointed at the cakes and looked at Ria afterwards. “Corelia, which cake would you like?” 

“There’s cheesecake with cranberry sauce, a fruitcake, like a cream pie with fruit on top, not the weird cake with fruit inside that looks like you mixed gummy bears into a cake, and a cream pie.” Em’s mom added. 

“Hmmm… It’s difficult to choose.” 

“You can get a piece of each.” Ilse giggled. 

“I’ll do that then!” You really don’t need to tell Ria things like that twice. 

With my girlfriend served, I picked the cheesecake as it looked the nicest to me. But I’d probably take a piece of fruitcake later. As for Em, she’d picked the cream pie. 

We all sat around the table in the living room to eat our delicious cakes and pies. This table was sizably smaller than the one in the dining room but definitely a lot more cozy. I wouldn’t have minded the entire dinner party to be held here, but practically it was probably a lot more manageable to have done it at the big table, especially for the chef. 

In the end, though, we did not eat a lot, as expected. Ria only went back once to get another slice of cake and apart from me, only Em’s dad really went back in for more too. 

That hunger Em’s mom had must’ve been quenched rather quickly. 

“I’ll pack some in little cake boxes for you two.” Ilse stood up, her husband did so too. “I’ll put them in the fridge, so don’t forget to take them home with you tomorrow!” 

“I’ll try to remember.” I smiled. 

Ria leaned back into the seat and puffed once Em’s parents had temporarily left the room.

“Did you overeat yourself?” I asked. 

“No, but I do feel a bit stuffed.” She looked at me. “And I’m also starting to feel a little bit tired…” 

“So am I.” Karin agreed. 

“Well, it is already past midnight.” Em looked at the face of her newly received watch. “We should probably head to bed after our food has settled down. 

Karin then got up and started to collect all the plates. We all helped a bit with that. “It was a fun Christmas eve.” She said.

We all vehemently agreed. 

 

With everything stashed in the dishwasher in the kitchen, the party slowly but surely died down. From the look on their faces, I could see Em’s parents also didn’t want to make the evening go on for too much longer. As Karin had said, it had been a terribly pleasant evening, but for normal humans, it had also been pretty tiring. And that last bit of extra food definitely didn’t help keep the energy levels up. 

“Is it fine if we head up already?” Em asked her parents, taking the initiative. 

“Of course it is.” Paul nodded. “Have a good night.” 

“Sleep well! And don’t bother about getting up too early. We won’t be either.” Em’s mom chuckled as she wished us a good night as well. 

“I don’t think that will be an issue.” Ria had already started to doze off but after I poked her arm she shot wide awake again. 

“Oh! Good night! And merry Christmas!” 

“Merry Christmas to you too!” 

We all were obliged to say the same of course, but after that, the three of us, including Karin as well, left the living room and headed upstairs. 

“Could I sleep in your room as well, today?” Karin asked as we were about halfway up the stairs. 

Em looked at Ria and I but be both gave her a nod. Her sister probably didn’t want to be alone in a room today, and I could totally understand that. 

“Sure, we can both sleep in my bed.” Em smiled at her sister. 

Karin nodded happily. “Thank you.” 

Before we all went to bed however, Karin and Ria got the bathroom to themselves first to prepare for bed. In the meantime, Em and I were preparing some extra bedding for Ria and myself. 

At least, we were, until I felt my phone starting to buzz. 

“Hmm?” I took my phone out of my pocket. 

“Is Alessia wishing you a merry Christmas?” 

“No, it’s Aileen’s number.” I slid my finger across the screen to take the call. “Aileen, what’s up?” 

“Aurora, I need you to get out of the house now.” Aileen replied, it almost sounded like an order. 

“What? I’m at Em’s place.” 

“I know. Now. Leave the building, please. There’s not a lot of time.” 

“What’s wrong?” Em asked. “Is everything alright?” 

“Aileen, what’s wrong? What’s happening?” 

“Aurora, I’ll explain once you are in the car. It’s a life or death situation. I’m parked outside.” Aileen hung up. 

“Shit.” I looked at my phone’s background, immobilized by confusion. 

“Aurora?” Em put her hand on my arm. “What’s going on?” 

I looked up at my girlfriend. “I don’t know… But apparently I need to go… now.” I put my phone away. “I’m sorry but I’ll try to be right back, okay? I’ll let you know something if I know more.”

It pained me severely to suddenly leave my girlfriends there alone without answers, but there was no doubt in my mind that not listening to Aileen would be a very bad idea… 

If you have been to Malta, what is something I shouldn't miss?

70