Chapter 34
1.3k 10 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few days had passed since Omis and Addi took over the little wooden shop. A bored Omis was sitting down on a small chair near the entrance, as he kept watch over the end of the small alley, a blank look on his face. 

Letting out a long tired sigh, he grumbled. "It's so boring! Absolutely nothing happened at all!" 

Walking out of the shop, Addi replied with a smirk. "You were the one who wanted to choose this desolated location, something about playing the mysterious expert's role." He said while shrugging his shoulders. 

"Oh, come on! I thought there would at least be someone! Days had already passed and still not even one customer?!" Groaned Omis as he let out another sigh. 

"Well, I think it's great!" smiled Addi as he brought out another chair and sat down next to Omis. 

"What do you mean great? I'm bored to death over here!" scowled Omis as he glared at his friend.

Throwing his hand out in the air, Addi replied. "I mean think about it, such a peaceful place no fights no wars no battlefields, no Hive..." 

Looking at Addi with a strange look, Omis spoke. "Uh, who are you?" 

Puzzled, Addi asked. "Eh? What are talking about?"

"The Addi I know is a battle junky, not someone who speaks about peace, so who are you?" Asked Omis with a feigned shocked look. 

Letting out a laugh, Addi lightly hit Omis in the back of his head before replying.

"Shut up, I'm an old man now. I had my fair share of bloodshed, wars, and battlefields." looking up towards the sky, Addi spoke with a blank distant look on his face.

Silently standing up, Omis smacked Addi in the head causing Addi to shout. "What the hell was that for you brat?"

"You really do sound like an old geezer,  why the hell do you sound more of an expert than I do?!" 

"What the hell are you on about?!" Shouted back Addi, confused. 

Sulking, Omis replied. "That's not fair! You sound cooler than me! With all that bullshit of 'oh I'm tired of wars and battlefields' What the hell? Do you practice your speeches or what?" He added as he mocked Addi. 

Starting back blankly at Omis who kept ranting, Addi was unable to think of any reply as he remained quiet with his mouth opening and closing yet no words came out.

It was then that suddenly the voice of a little girl was heard stopping Omis from talking and bringing Addi out of his daze. 

"Mommy look! It's that grandpa and older brother we met before!" She shouted excitedly as she pointed at the direction of the shop. 

The mom hearing her daughter turned around to check, only to find Omis sitting down calmly as he gracefully fanned himself with a small fan. 

Looking at the sudden change in Omis's demeanor made Addi's eyes open wide open as his jaw hung low. 

"Where, no when did you even bring that fan out?!" he muttered as he stared at Omis, returning his gaze, Omis gave him a gentle smile that seemed to shine and capable of making anyone feel good before he replied casually.

"What are you talking about grandpa?" 

"Wha-" 

Before Addi was able to reply, the mother and child duo arrived towards the entrance of the small shop. Giving a light bow to Addi and then a gentle smile to Omis, the mom spoke. 

"Hello uncle, little brother, it's good to see you both doing well." 

Regaining his bearings, Addi gave a warm smile as his entire aura once again changed to that of an ordinary neighborhood grandpa before speaking.

"Oh, if it isn't little Meng. What brings you over?" 

With a smile Meng replied as she patted her little daughter's head. 

"I'm taking Lee-Lee to stay over at an acquaintance's place while I search for a job." 

"Oh, you did mention that you also came to the capital to start a new leaf." Replied Addi while rubbing his long beard. 

"Yes! Can't say I had a lot of luck finding anything, but it looks like you found a shop?" She asked in curiosity as her eyes looked over the small wooden restaurant. 

Smiling innocently, Omis spoke. "That's right Grandpa, didn't you mention that we needed to hire an assistant for the shop?" 

Confused, Addi replied. "Eh? I did?" 

Letting out a cough, Omis continued with an innocent smile on his face. "Of course! Now that I think about it, don't sister Meng fulfill all the criteria for the job?" 

Seeing the direction where Omis was taking the conversation, Addi squinted his eyes as he thought.

'What are you trying to accomplish.' 

Breaking him out of his chain of thought was little Lee-Lee who asked excitedly. "Mommy is going to work with big brother?" 

With an awkward expression on her face, Meng sneaked a glance at Addi. While the shop did not seem to be in any good spot with almost no traffic or visitors, Meng was truly desperate, she was at the end of her ropes, and any job was fine at the moment as long as it brought food to the table.

"Well, if you are okay with us we are indeed in need of an assistant to help with things in the shop, as you can see I'm getting too old for this." Hearing Addi say that made Omis smirk. 

"Really? I mean, I wouldn't want to impose or anything." Quickly replied Meng, her eyes shining with hope and expectations.

"Of course not! Food is on the house and your pay would be one silver per day." 

Gasping, Meng hurriedly replied. "N-no, that's too much uncle! One silver a day that's-" 

"Enough, I will not take no for an answer that's your salary. Little Lee-Lee can stay with you in the shop, we don't really get many customers around here as you can see." chuckled Addi. 

Giving out a deep bow, Meng's eyes teared up as she shouted. "Thank you, uncle! I will work hard!" seeing her mom bowing, Lee-Lee hurriedly followed her lead as well. 

Watching the scene unfold, Omis had a strange thought in his mind. 'Why does it feel like I turned into a side character...'

45