Chapter 40
1.1k 8 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Special thank you to my Patrons Edward Garcia, Adigio, Legion, Adam D.F, Belduim, Bob Semxy, Fish, Jake Hewitt, Graeme Kent, Duncan Bauer, Jon Transfiguration, Corgi McStumperson, Georgina Singh. Up to 50 chapters ahead on Patreon! 

Walking down the street, Lee-Lee was happy as she bounced along the way. Her mother had finally been able to land a great job, and she got to stay with the mysterious brother and grandpa. Her mind was filled with various thoughts as she held her mother's hand and continued towards their destination.

'I wonder what should we play today?' She thought to herself.

'Last time big brother said that he would teach me how to use the power in my eyes.' She slowly moved her hand over her eye deep in thought.

Bringing her out of her chain of thought was her mother who suddenly pushed her away from the alley. 

"M-Mommy?" Asked Lee-Lee confused.

"Shush, stay quiet now my dear okay?" Hurriedly whispered her mother as she glanced towards the small shop at the end of the alley. 

Looking at her mother, Lee-Lee was able to see the fear and nervousness plastered on her face as she cautiously looked at the entrance of the shop.

With her curiosity getting the best of her, Lee-Lee turned her gaze towards whatever got her mother worried. There she saw them, a group of ruffians talking and laughing as they closed in on the store, as she continued to watch one of them knocked loudly on the door but to no response.

"Mommy, are those bad guys?" Asked Lee-Lee in confusion.

"Yes sweetie, those are bad bad guys." Replied the mother while gritting her teeth in anger.

As the mother and daughter duo carefully watched the scene unfold from a distance away, one of the thugs suddenly moved in front of the door and kicked it open. His companions laughed as they all walked inside.

"What do we do mommy? We can't let big brother and grandpa alone! We have to save then!" Protested Lee-Lee.

"I know sweetheart, that's why we need to quickly go and bring the guards back!" Replied Meng. She shot the store one last look before grabbing her daughter's hand and running away.

"Stay safe uncle Addi, brother Omis! I'll be back soon, wait for me!" She muttered a silent prayer in her heart before hastening her steps to look for the guards to help.

---------------------------------------------------

"What do you mean you can't come?!" Shouted Meng, her voice full of anger as she slammed the table in front of her with her palm. 

"Listen here lady, it's not in my hands." The guard replied, raising his finger towards the sky he continued. 

"The higher-ups and I mean the really big shots up there gave strict orders to not interfere nor come anywhere close to that shop no matter what." He shrugged his shoulders.

"T-That's ridiculous! So you are just going to let two law-abiding citizens get terrorized by thugs! What if something were to happen to them? Would you take responsibility?!" Yelled Meng, as she glared at the nonchalant guard sitting behind his desk. 

"No matter what you tell me, the answer will remain the same. Orders are orders, now please leave or I will have someone to escort you." He replied in a disinterested manner.

"Unbelievable!" Unable to believe why she was hearing, Meng was about to continue arguing when her little daughter Lee-Les grabbed the helm of her dress. 

"M-Mommy..." She whispered as she looked back towards the opened office door, there two fully armed guards were standing as they exuded a dangerous aura. 

Seeing that, Meng shot the guard one last dirty look before taking a deep breath to calm herself. Grabbing Lee-Lee's hand she stormed out of the office.

"Mommy, what should we do?" Asked Lee-Lee in a concerned voice. 

"I-I don't know sweetheart...I don't know..." With a defeated expression, Meng replied as she raised her head to look at the sky. It seemed like it was about to rain soon. 

Seeing her Mother's defeated expression, Lee-Lee resolved herself as she spoke. 

"M-Mommy, Brother, and Grandpa are strong!"  

Turning her head towards her daughter, Meng was unable to understand what would make her say that, yet as soon as she saw the serious look on her face, her expression quickly changed. 

Grabbing her daughter by the shoulders, Meng shook her as she spoke. "Lee-Lee, what did you do?!" 

Scared, Lee-Lee lowered her head in guilt. With a voice as meek as a mosquito, she replied. 

"I-I didn't do anything!" 

"You used your power did you not!" Asked Meng in a hushed tone as she turned her head left and right afraid someone would hear her. 

Lowering her head even further, Lee-Lee refrained from replying to her mother's question.

"Lee-Lee, look at me. When did you use your powers?" Her mom asked in an urgent low voice.

"T-The gate..." 

Holding her head in one hand, Meng took another deep breath before she asked. 

"Sweetie, I am not mad at you ok? But I need to know, what did you see?" 

"P-Promise you won't get mad?" Asked Lee-Lee in a sheepish voice. 

"Yes sweetheart I won't, just tell me. I need to know." 

"O-Okay..." 

---------------------------------------------------

"Oh, by the celestials. Lee-Lee, why did you hide this from me?!" Shouted Meng, before catching herself as she hurriedly turned to look at her surroundings before looking back at her child.

"B-Because, I didn't want you to get mad!" Urgently replied Lee-Lee in a futile attempt to explain herself, as tears started to well up in the corner of her eyes.

"Y-You promised you won't get mad!" 

Letting out a huge sigh of defeat, Meng kneeled down to Lee-Lee's level as she gently held her face 

In both her arms, her fingers tenderly wiping the tears that started to well up in the child's face. 

"Sweetheart, I'm not mad. But we talked about this, you can't use the powers of the ancestor like this, you have to be more careful from now on okay?"

Nodding in understanding, Lee-Lee replied. 

"O-Okay."

"Promise?"

"Promise." 

Come here, pulling her daughter into a tight hug Meng whispered. "I love you." 

"I-I love you too mommy."

27