Chapter 63: Drawback Theory
219 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiki said. "Do you have a sketch of the link between the two inscriptions?" Enrel was about to say something as her mouth was covered by Melanor's hand. Melanor said. "Wait a minute. Reiki, think about what you're doing. If you give her this she would-."

Enrel forcefully moved Melanor's hand that was on her mouth away, Enrel hastily said. "Don't listen to the stick in the mud Reiki, no one here can force you to do anything. On a different topic, I need the link between the two inscriptions the moment it's finished." Enrel reached into her pockets and took out her pouch as she took out three pieces of high-quality parchment and placed them on the coffee table.

Reiki was reaching out for the quill on the table when all of a sudden it was replaced with a dropper. Moranor had the quill in her right hand, she said. "I don't know what's going on but since Enrel is involved I'm guessing she's up to no good again." Enrel gave Moranor an odd look and said. "Is that how you talk to your elders?" Melanor turned her head and looked out a window, she said. "With the way you are only idiots with half a brain would consider you as one."

Enrel quickly turned her head to look at Melanor as she gave her a cold glare. With gritted teeth Enrel said. "Say that to my face." Melanor turned her head to face her as a smirk slowly formed on Melanor's lips. Melanor said. "I said no one considers you an elder, those who do are dumb or are just trying to get in your pants. Is this simple enough or do you need me to dumb it down for you?"

Both Reiki and Moranor were watching the two of them argue. Moranor sat next to him on the couch as it creaked, he tapped her forearm and said. "What are we supposed to do in this situation?" Moranor looked at him and saw he was watching everything unfold, she said. "Why are you helping her anyway?" Reiki somehow managed to pry his eyes away from the two elves arguing. He said. "I wanted to see if the inscription would work."

Moranor frowned, she said. "And what happens when she takes all the credit?" Reiki let out a chuckle and said. "I'm not worried about that." An amused smile slowly formed on his face. He saw Moranor had an unimpressed expression on her face. Reiki let out a chuckle and said. "Trust me on this. I'll make sure to teach her everything."

Moranor let out a sigh as the frown on her face disappeared, she said. "That doesn't tell me anything." Reiki rolled his eyes, Moranor seeing this was about to grab his forearm. He made a gesture to come closer as a confused expression appeared on Moranor's face. She subtly leaned her head closer to him as he moved closer to her which made her vaguely blush.

Reiki whispered. "I'm going to teach her made-up things and see how deep the hole she'll dig herself." Moranor eyes widened, she said. "Seriously?!" Reiki bluntly said. "Nope." The corner of her eye twitched as she punched his chest.

[System: User has received 4 Damage.]

Reiki chuckled as he massaged where Moranor punched him. He said. "I'm just going to teach her using a ratio of seven to three, seven parts of it would be correct while three parts would be completely made up." Moranor looked at him like he was an idiot. She said. "Then wouldn't she notice you intentionally gave her fake information?" Reiki let out a sigh, a smile slowly grew on Moranor's face. She said. "Looks like someone didn't learn from their first two lessons." She slowly reached for his neck as her eyes turned cold.

Reiki caught her hand and started playing with it, he said. "I'm going to have to make up a plausible theory that has a few small holes but upon a closer look would easily make the theory invalid." He started to compare his left hand with Moranor's right and placed them side by side.

Moranor froze by his actions as she was staring at what he was doing while she slowly blushed. Reiki placed the hand on the sofa and softly pinched her backhand. He thought. Smooth and squishy. He said. "Give Melanor a rough run down as she gets a front-row seat of her friend's demise." Reiki turned his head to see Moranor was still staring at his hand that was playfully pinching her skin.

He stopped and tapped her forearm and said. "Moranor-san? Are you listening?" Moranor snapped back to reality and quickly nodded, she said. "G-Got it a quick rundown to mom. Anything else?" Reiki pointed at Enrel and Melanor fighting. Melanor was glaring at Enrel. Melanor coldly said. "And you think your intelligence is higher than others, just because you stole their life's work and got the credit?"

Enrel let out a chuckle and said. "That and the fact they're foolish enough to just give away their entire research to someone else." The air around Melanor started to softly crack as a few small strings of lightning traveled around her. Melanor said. "That's what I just said!" Reiki who was pointing at them turned his head to face Moranor, he said. "Can you please stop them from fighting? I would love to see this all unfold if not for the fact I am the weakest one here and would die if a stray spell went in my direction."

Moranor looked at her mother and changed her gaze to look at Enrel, she let out a sigh and stood up from the charred couch, and walked towards Melanor, and poked her shoulder. Moranor whispered in Melanor's ear as her mother snapped her fingers as a mana barrier surrounded both of them.

Enrel walked towards Reiki with a big friendly smile on her face, she said. "I would have given you this sooner if it weren't for my friend." Enrel rummaged through her pocket and pulled out a parchment with a blueprint on it. Enrel placed it on the table next to him as she was about to lend him a quill, he was already dipping the quill in ink the same quill that Moranor took.

Reiki looked at the blueprint while carefully tapping the quill in the bottleneck to get rid of the excess ink as it was slowly enveloped with his mana. He thought. I expected the link to be more complex rather than just a line with a hollow circle on both edges. With a few strokes of the quill, he already drew both the inscriptions on a piece of parchment, and in between was the same line with a larger hollowed circle on both ends.

He started writing something in elvish in the top left corner that made Enrel a closer look, she read the first sentence and patted his shoulder. Enrel said. "I do enjoy working with individuals with high intelligence, it makes everything so much easier."

Melanor and her daughter walked towards the two of them as Melanor returned to her composed self with her usual straight face. Moranor gave him a meaningful glance as she tried her best to keep her lips from forming a smile. Reiki finished the inscription with a couple more strokes and gave the parchment to Enrel who was sitting beside him. Enrel quickly stood up, she said. "Something came up, I'll be back in time for dinner."

As she suddenly vanished on the spot. Reiki looked at the spot where she disappeared, he said. "Do all of you guys have the same spells? Every elf I know which I admit is not enough for a research sample but two of the three likes to vanish." Reiki turned his head to look up to Moranor, he continued. "With you being the only elf I have not seen vanish or more correctly teleport in front of me, and here I thought spells were supposed to be scarce."

Melanor gave him an odd look, she said. "How exactly would she be exposed? When even Enrel herself is fooled? I hate to say this but she's a genius. If not for the fact her majesty hated Enrel's character she would have long finished her research by the funding she could have received long ago." Moranor just stared at him keeping silent. Reiki let out a chuckle, he said. "The theory that I've written in the parchment is solid combined with the minor changes I made to the inscriptions it'll look authentic. If they don't look at it too hard or if they lack certain knowledge."

He gave both of them a meaningful smile. Moranor started thinking while Melanor said. "So you're betting on the chance that one of the elves who'll check her work will find that flaw?" She gave him a deadpan look. Moranor's eyes widened in realization, she said. "I got it! Knowing her character she'll invite everyone!" Melanor let out a sigh, she said. "She does that every time."

Moranor turned her head to face her mother, she said. "No, mom. She is going to invite everyone. To make sure they 'witness' her discovery." Melanor eyes slowly widened in realization, a smile formed on her face. She said. "I see what you're planning." Melanor let out a chuckle and continued. "You never had any intention of giving up the inscriptions."

Reiki shrugged his shoulders as he spread his arms helplessly, he said. "Weren't you just lecturing me a few minutes ago about how you should always put your guard up against my kind?" Moranor immediately turned her head and stared at a wall while whistling. Melanor let out a chuckle and crossed her arms, she said. "We still do, Enrel was just blinded by her greed when she thought about what's on the plate." Reiki stood up from the couch as it softly creaked on the shift of weight, he said. "On a more important note. Is she a genius like you claimed?" 

Melanor nodded, a nostalgic haze appeared in her eyes. She said. "Smarter. In high school, she would only attend when there was an exam or something important, on other days she would be absent. It got to the point where even the assigned elf didn't even bother taking the attendance anymore since only Enrel was the only one missing." She let out a chuckle as Reiki walked towards both of them. Moranor had a weird look on her face, she said. "So all those certificates on the shelves with her name written in gold, were real? I always thought she paid for those to be showcased..."

Melanor laughed, she looked at her daughter from the corner of her eye and said. "Every single one of those is real, even with her character no one in our generation could match her in terms of intellectual prowess. Her Majesty herself hasn't even won against her in chess, back when a human brought a set and explained the rules. The two of us played for a week, Enrel watched a single game between us and then proposed to fight a two-on-one…" Melanor let out an annoyed sigh, she continued. "We lost in sixteen moves."

The three of them stood near the doorway. Reiki said. "I wonder how she'll feel the moment she noticed." Melanor let out a chuckle, she said. "She probably already noticed it and is on her way back. I know you hoped for a show, but if you've known her for as long as I do. She already started double-checking your work to see if it's feasible, Enrel should be-."

The sound of a doorknob being turned caught their attention as all three of them looked at the door. Enrel slowly opened the door as she was holding the parchment in her left hand, she looked around the room and stared at him. Enrel said. "Well played. Reiki…" A small smile formed on Reiki's face, he said. "Truth be told I am amazed at how fast you managed to notice it." Enrel let out a chuckle and said. "It was a good attempt, but it still isn't enough to fool me."

Enrel looked at the other two elves, she said. "I'm guessing you three are already planning to prepare dinner?" Moranor nodded while her mother chuckled. Melanor said. "Correct, you are free to join us if you want to watch." Reiki looked up to Enrel, he said. "Truth be told, I was expecting Enrel-san would also be capable in other areas when Melanor-san offered."

Moranor giggled as she quickly placed a hand over her mouth. Enrel rolled her eyes, she said. "I'll be keeping the parchment…" Her gaze wandered to Melanor. Enrel continued. "We'll meet both of you in the kitchen. I have something to talk about with my friend here." A smile formed on Enrel's face. Melanor narrowed her eyes as she glared at her suspiciously.

Moranor looked at her Melanor, her mother nodded towards her as she started walking towards the door. Reiki walked beside her as Enrel walked towards Melanor while leaving the door open. Reiki turned his head sideways to look up to Moranor, he said. "Wanna guess what their topic of discussion would be?"

Moranor reached for the handle, she said. "I guess they would be-." She closed the door on their way out as the sound of footsteps were becoming fainter the further they walked. Melanor kept her gaze on Enrel, silence slowly descended on the room as neither of them spoke. Enrel had a serious look on her face as she was contemplating something in her head. Enrel said. "Remember my initial offer?"

Melanor let out a chuckle, she said. "Yes, I do. And let me guess… You're planning on withdrawing it." As she crossed her arms. Enrel ignored her taunting and said. "Wrong, I plan on doubling it." A look of confusion quickly appeared on Melanor's face, she said. "Who are you and what did you do to Enrel?" Enrel maintained her serious expression and continued. "Just tell me what both of you planned for him tomorrow."

Melanor stared at Enrel in confusion. Melanor said. "The usual meeting her majesty-." Enrel rolled her eyes, she interrupted Melanor and said. "You know what I mean." Melanor had a look full of suspicion. She said. "Why is it so important?" Enrel replied. "Just because." As she crossed her arms.

A smirk slowly formed on Melanor's face, she said. "So you are irritated because he managed to fool you… The last time you crossed your arms was because we decided to eat at a different restaurant when it was supposed to be your turn to pick." Melanor let out a short laugh. Melanor noticed Enrel's jaw tighten. Enrel said. "Just answer the question."

Melanor had a playful smile on her face, she said. "What's it to you?" Enrel spoke through gritted teeth saying. "I already said because." The smirk on Melanor's face grew, she said. "Because?" Enrel's hand was slowly enveloped by a layer of mana and started visibly radiating a faint hue of light blue. Her entire body started pouring a small amount of mana around her as the air around both of them turned heavy and made the floorboards creak.

Melanor had a surprised look on her face, she said. "It's been a while since I last saw you like this." Enrel didn't reply as her glare stayed on Melanor. Melanor let out a chuckle filled with nostalgia, she said. "No matter how fun it would be to play with you, I don't want my house to explode… Fire away." The mana in the entire room fluctuated as it slowly turned back to normal, Enrel said. "What was his plan?"

Melanor walked to the closest wall and leaned on it, she said. "I only got a quick round down but let me remember… It was to let you expose yourself doing… Your thing… He said he wrote it with a seven to three ratio. Seven parts being true and the rest would be holes to make the theory invalid upon a closer look." The glare from her face disappeared, as Enrel hastily said. "Did… Did your daughter have a hand in any of this?"

Melanor shook her head sideways, she said. "I admit she does know how to take care of herself and has more than the means to make a living… In terms of strategies, she's just like you unrivaled, and you've practically watched her grow up. We both know what she's capable of and…" Melanor let out a frustrated sigh and continued. "What she's incapable of…"

The corner of Enrel's lips curved up into a smile, she quickly hid it and kept a straight face. She said. "Did he explain his plan in detail?" Melanor lazily nodded as she stared at her right hand, as a string of lightning traveled between the gaps of her fingers going over and under. Enrel placed a hand on her chin, she said. "Did you notice anything off? Higher heartbeat, body language, or movement of pupils?"

Melanor lazily shook her head. Enrel moved the hand on her chin away, she said. "Well, I can tell you that he just lied straight in your face." Enrel let out a mocking chuckle, she continued. "And you didn't even notice." Melanor caught the string of lightning traveling between her fingers and crushed it with her hand. She said. "Explain." 

Enrel rummaged her pockets and took out the parchment Reiki gave her. Enrel said. "Read this for me please." She held the parchment with both hands and made sure it was facing her way. Melanor walked towards her and started reading. "Drawback theory. This event occurs when an inscription is sent too much mana in a short period. The reason for this phenomenon is when mana traveling in the inscription is activating parts of it and is constantly going back and forth-." 

Melanor turned her head to face Enrel. Melanor said. "Are you going to explain it to me or make me read the entire thing?" Enrel rolled her eyes at her, she said. "There were only a couple of sentences left. Now, tell me which sentence makes the theory invalid?"

Melanor looked at the parchment again, while looking at the sentence she said. "The part where the mana travels around the said inscription… And that's under the assumption of what I've been told." Enrel let go of the left corner of the parchment as she massaged her forehead using her left hand, she said. "I'm surrounded by idiots…" 

As she let out a sigh. Melanor ignored her comment as she took the parchment off her hands and took a closer look at the writing. Melanor said. "Then where did he make his adjustment?" Enrel stopped massaging her forehead, she said. "How did the crystal explode if the mana travels to both inscriptions activating it? If that were true then an explosion caused by mana would never happen and instead, the inscription would partly activate."

Melanor kept her eyes on the parchment, she said. "So the theory he made is wrong in its entirety?" Enrel raised her hand that was slightly shaking in anger, she looked like she was about to slap Melanor. Enrel said. "No you thick-headed troll! You said the words! Back and forth! The way to make this theory fall over itself is that specific word! Back and forth!... When I tried to replicate the experiment I was observing the mana flow of the inscription, the mana didn't travel to the two inscriptions. After the second interval was greatly shortened the second wave of mana was sent which ruined the flow." 

Melanor passed the parchment to Enrel as she folded the parchment and placed it in her pouch. Melanor said. "Then shouldn't the inscription have partly activated just like you said?" Enrel let out a sigh, she said. "It should have because we were taught that mana is another form of energy, meaning as those humans claimed energy can neither be created nor destroyed-." Melanor raised a brow and said. "If energy cannot be created then how come mana-." Enrel looked like she was about to explode as she spoke through gritted teeth, she said. "Let me finish…" 

She took a deep breath to calm herself as Melanor rolled her eyes at Enrel. Enrel took a second to compose herself, she said. "We don't create mana, we only manipulate it, some even say we command it… Do you know how particles work?" Melanor looked up to the ceiling, she said. "I think I remember…"

Enrel let out a sigh, she said. "That's good enough… We can manipulate mana to replicate the four states of matter… For example, if we agitate mana enough to a certain point we can make light, keep agitating it, it turns into fire, keep going and you'll make plasma… Though only a very small amount of individuals are capable of doing the third option." Melanor lazily said. "Why are you giving me a lesson again?" 

Enrel let out a frustrated sigh, she said. "Who was the idiot who asked in the first place?... Back to the main topic, when I was watching the mana flow from the inscriptions the second burst of mana ruined the process of activation, making the fluctuations of mana unstable. All of a sudden the interval was completely overridden and all the mana in the crystal went to the inscription making it worse, finally the inscription that overloaded failed to activate from the second interval combined with the unstable mana. All at once, the mana traveled through the link and tried to force itself in the crystal which cracked from the sudden surge and exploded."

Enrel turned her head to look at Melanor. Enrel said. "Now do you understand?" Melanor just stared at her, she said. "You lost me when you were giving me a lesson."

7