Chapter 79: Lucky Guess
193 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The interval of the bolts of lightning traveling around the trees slowly came to a stop, Elora tapped on Melanor's shoulder and said. "Time to clean up." Melnor nodded, she turned her head towards Enrel and said. "Enrel, did you bring some saplings with you?" Enrel took out a pouch from her pocket, she said. "Yep, when that elf appeared in the garden and reported Reiki was being chased. I already knew an arrow was going to be shot."

The three elves looked around the large area of the forest that was charred with dozens of trees laid to waste. Elora let out a chuckle, she leaned on a tree behind her and said. "Hop to it you two. It's going to take a few minutes." Melanor and Enrel started casting spells left and right and started to fix the forest area Moranor destroyed.

______________________________________________________

Guest Room

Reiki was sitting by the edge of the bed while Moranor was looking at him oddly, and Enora was staring at him with interest. He said. "What's wrong? It's a spell, right? I should be able to see it." Enora placed both her hands behind her head as she made herself comfortable on the bed, she said. "Not this particular spell, you see the white bolt can is one of the very few self-made spells that you need a very high affinity with magic to see, let alone cast… It's like body training and muscles, a bodybuilder can throw a boulder like a rock. And this is an oversimplification."  Reiki crossed his arms, he said. "Try me." 

Enora was about to say something when suddenly Moranor said. "The density of mana around the arrow." Enora glanced at Moranor as she gave her a look of annoyance, Moranor continued. "If I were to give this an analogy it would be… Staring at the sun for too long, your vision is hindered and could have long-lasting side effects for your entire life. White bolt is somewhat similar in this regard, the mana or magic particles depending on the spell are being shaken at a rapid pace, not enough to cause it to explode but not too little to lose power. The mana around the arrow is so violent that individuals who have insufficient stats in intelligence or a low affinity for magic don't even see it because their brains can't even process that cluster of mana at high speeds…"

Moranor stood up from the bed ruining Enora's relaxing position, Enora picked up the pillow Moranor used and threw it at her back. Moranor ignored her as she stared at Reiki with a serious gaze, Moranor said. "And yet here you are… Not even at the tender age of eleven, but managed to see it… It would mean that-." Enora was staring at the ceiling, she said. "You would need a minimum of two hundred and forty-five in intelligence to see it…" 

A sly smile appeared on her lips as she moved her gaze onto him, Enora continued. "But that would be impossible for your age, so the conclusion would be a high affinity to magic." Enora gave him a meaningful look as she flashed him a smile. Reiki ignored Enora's smile, he looked at Moranor and said. "Then wouldn't that destroy part of the forest? What happens then?" Moranor turned her head to the left as she looked at a wall, Enora let out a chuckle, she said. "It's not the first time she destroyed something."

Reiki raised a brow, he moved his gaze onto Enora's face and then slightly moved to her plump chest. Enora's smile widened as she crossed her arms and pressed her chest against each other, she said. "The individual's parents are responsible for cleaning up the mess."

Enora glanced at Moranor, Enora said. "They're probably already started." Enora winked at him, Moranor turned her head to look at Reiki. Moranor gave him an annoyed glare and stopped when from the corner of her eye saw Enora emphasizing her chest and saw him staring at it. Moranor vanished from the bed as she appeared behind Reiki standing by the edge and lifted him using the collar of his tunic, she said. "Don't fall for her traps-!" 

The door suddenly opened as Melanor and Enrel walked in on Enora making herself comfortable on the bed while trying to find a position to lay down. Moranor was holding Reiki by the collar of his tunic a few feet off the ground, Reiki waved at the two of them and said. "Thank you for your hard work." Melanor raised a brow as she leaned on a wall while Enrel closed the door and stood beside her. Melanor said. "What is that phrase for?" Her gaze moved to her daughter as the two of them were having a mental conversation again, Reiki said. "It's something we say after a hard day's work and a way to show our appreciation for your help."

He pointed at Moranor who was still holding him by the collar and continued. "Or in this case her." Melanor nodded in understanding while keeping her eyes on her daughter, Enrel stared at her nails as she kept silent. Moranor eventually let him go as she walked to a wall on the left and leaned on it while crossing her arms, Reiki thought. It's nice to see a mother-daughter so close. 

Melanor gaze wandered onto Enora who was laying down on his bed, Melanor said. "Little Nora, your mother is looking for you, it's about your note." Enora's eyes brightened up, she quickly stood up from the bed and said. "Thanks for having me, I need somewhere to be, bye." Enora vanished from the room leaving the four of them, Enrel lazily stretched as she walked straight to the other bed and laid down without taking off her shoes. While laying down she snapped her fingers as Enrel's shoes were enveloped by a thin layer of mana and undid themselves and floated towards the floor near the nightstand.

While Enrel made herself comfortable on the bed, she said. "Another day of hard work." Reiki glanced at Enrel, he moved his gaze to Melanor who was staring at him. He said. "What is it?" Melanor shook her head sideways, she said. "Nothing, I'll just take my daughter off your hands for a while." Moranor sat up on the bed while she quickly tried to put her shoes back on, Reiki patted the area where Enora placed her foot on the bed while keeping her shoes on and said. "How long until dinner?" 

Melanor looked at him oddly and said. "Is food all you think about?" Reiki replied. "I'm a growing boy." Melanor rolled her eyes at him, she said. "Around eight-thirty." She walked towards the door and waited for her daughter to finish tying her shoes as she stood up from the bed and walked towards her mother. Melanor reached for the doorknob as the two elves walked out of the room and closed the door behind them. Reiki turned his head to look at Enrel who had her eyes closed while laying down, without making a sound he started tying his shoes and walked towards the door.

Reiki stopped when he heard Enrel say. "Where are you going?" Reiki turned his head and saw she still had her eyes closed, he said. "Meeting the girl who tried to kill me." Without opening her eyes, Enrel said. "Haruka? Good luck then." Reiki stared at her for a few more seconds, Enrel didn't say anything more as he reached for the doorknob and walked out of the room, and made sure to close the door behind him.

Reiki looked to his left and right, he thought. Hopefully this time I won't have to jump from a window. He took a couple of steps before he stopped and looked behind him, Reiki said. "If you don't mind, can you help me pass a message?" Fayeth suddenly appeared in front of him, with a surprised look on her face she said. "How did you know?" He thought. Stop staring at me then. 

Reiki waves his hand in dismissal, he said. "Can you pass a message to Haruka?" Fayeth smiled, she said. "Easy, for a small fee, I can-." He interrupted her and said. "How about you get to keep your job in exchange?" The corner of Fayeth's eye twitched, she said. "Come again?" Reiki looked up to her and continued, with a smile on his face he said. "You keep your job." Reiki emphasized the word 'job' and paused for a couple of seconds, he continued. "And all you have to do is pass her a message for me."

A look of confusion appeared on Fayeth's face, she said. "I don't quite understand." Reiki rolled his eyes at her as he let out an annoyed sigh which surprised Fayeth, his eyes turned somewhat hollow. He said. "I wonder what her majesty would think when she learns someone here is selling information to outsiders." Fayeth paused as silence overcame the atmosphere, she said. "I never sold information to Haruka." Reiki tilted his head sideways, with a smile on his face he said. "I never said anything about you, what made you come to that specific conclusion?"

Fayeth placed her hand on her hips, she let out a sigh of defeat and said. "What is it?" Reiki's eyes turned back to normal, he looked up to her and said. "Tell her I'll meet her inside the library by the entrance." Fayeth turned around and took a single step, she turned her head to look at him and said. "What gave it away?" Reiki let out a short laugh, he said. "That slimy smile on your face reminded me of merchants…" Fayeth was stunned for a moment, she said. "Merchants?..." As she tried her best to figure out what he meant, Reiki walked past her and lazily waved, he said. "You need to get a move on." Fayeth stared at him walking down the hallway for a moment as she suddenly vanished.

______________________________________________________

Private Library Room

Haruka was quickly writing in her notebook, they were roughly seven books with three of them being piled on top of each other. With one hand on the books, she was quickly reading the contents as she wrote down the important bits, the sound of knocking came from the door. Haruka continued to jot down as if she didn't hear anything, the sound of knocking became louder and faster to which she didn't even react to it. The door opened as Fayeth walked into the room and saw Haruka who was reading and writing.

Fayeth stood by the door for a few seconds and saw that Haruka was still focused on what she was doing. Fayeth slammed the door hard to which Haruka reluctantly pried her eyes away from the book and saw Fayeth was staring at her with her arms crossed, Haruka said. "Bad mood?"

Fayeth shook her head sideways, she let out a sigh and said. "Even worse… I'm doing something for free…" The quill in Haruka's hand almost fell as she managed to keep her grip on it, Haruka raised a brow and said. "You?" Fayeth let out a scoff dripping with annoyance, she said. "The more time I waste here, the more money I lose. The boy is going to meet you by the entrance." 

Fayeth turned around and walked towards the door, when she was one step away from hitting the door she suddenly vanished. Haruka scratched the back of her head as she looked around her room and saw it was mostly presentable, she stood up from her chair and started tidying up a little bit.

______________________________________________________

Luxurious Guest Room

Melanor was laying down on one of the two beds wearing a green bathrobe that hugged her figure, Moranor, on the other hand, was still wearing the same attire. Melanor reached for the pouch on her belt and passed her daughter a glass of wine, Moranor held the glass with her right hand as she took a sip. The two elves laid down on the bed in silence, Moranor took a glance at her mother, she said. "Aren't you going to ask?" 

Melanor smiled as she let out a chuckle, she said. "And what would it change?" Melanor turned her gaze as she looked at her daughter, she continued. "We've known each other for so long, even if we say nothing we can tell what the other person is thinking about…" Moranor faintly blushed as she turned her head and stared at a door. Melanor rolled her eyes and said. "Thought so." Moranor coughed as she tried to keep a straight face, she said. "You're not mad?"

With her free hand, Melanor reached for her daughter's face and softly caressed it, she said. "It makes you happy, right?" A moment of silence passed, Moranor nodded as a couple of seconds passed. Moranor said. "...Thank you…" Melanor let out a chuckle as she raised her glass, she said. "Cheers." 

Moranor raised her glass as it carefully hit Melanor's glass making a soft clink sound. Moranor took a sip of the wine in her glass as a faint smile appeared on her lips, Melanor glanced at the wall as she faked a cough and awkwardly said. "With that… I hope you won't be too upset at this… Abrupt news…" Moranor was about to take a sip and stopped herself, she said. "What is it?"

______________________________________________________

Queen's Personal Room

Enora was laying on the large bed while her mother Elora was opening a bottle of wine as she filled two glasses, Elora walked towards her daughter who sat up on the bed and gave her a glass of wine. Elora took a sip while her Enora looked up to her and said. "What about it mom? Can you do it?" Elora flashed her a helpless smile, she said. "I'll try my best but you know chances are he won't agree, since a mage's life is in his or her spells." 

Enora nodded, she said. "True, but you can't properly predict him." Elora said. "Is that so?" Enora's eye brightened up, she said. "It's true, a few minutes ago he just agreed to meet that uhh, Haruka girl that attacked him alone. I bet he even knows that there are elves watching him." Her eyes were full of expectations as she spoke about him, Elora smiled at her. Elora said. "Looks like he already caught your eye."

Enora narrowed her eyes, she said. "I don't like the way you said that." Elora's hands blurred as she ruffled her daughter's hair, she said. "You've already found someone better to replace… It…" Enora frowned at her mother's action, she let go of the glass as it floated mid-air as she fixed her hair, Enora raised a brow and said. "I wouldn't go that far… He's interesting, but other than that I don't see his appeal." 

Enora grabbed the floating glass and took a sip, Elora stared at her and let out a sigh. Enora raised a brow, she said. "What is it?" Elora shook her head sideways, she said. "Nothing important… It just seems like you need more time to…" Enora raised a brow, she said. "More time for what?" Elora flashed her an enigmatic smile and said. "You'll know soon enough."

______________________________________________________

Library

Reiki was outside by the library staring at the entrance, he thought. At least this time I didn't have to jump out a window… He walked towards the entrance and looked around, Reiki saw the same male elf standing behind the counter. Morthil looked in his direction and waved at him, Reiki headed towards the counter. Morthil said. "Remember me?" 

Reiki nodded as Morthil continued. "Just call me Morthil, give Haruka a minute or so. She should be on her way here-." From the corner of his eye Morthil saw Haruka and pointed in her direction. Reiki followed where his finger was pointing and saw Haruka carrying a stack of books with her hands, she looked at Reiki and said. "Let's go." Haruka turned around and walked back to her assigned room, Reiki walked beside her and looked at the books she was carrying. He said. "Need any help?"

Haruka kept her eyes in front and said. "Nope." The two of them walked for a half a minute in silence, eventually reaching outside of Haruka's room. Was three to four stacks of books neatly piled on top of each other. On top of the tallest stack was her room number, Haruka placed the stack of books she was carrying down on the floor as she walked inside her room followed by Reiki. Inside was clean and a couple of plates of fries with a tall beef burger with four thick patties on the workbench along with some tissues. 

Haruka walked towards the bed as she removed her shoes and sat on it near the workbench, she gestured at the chair by the workbench and said. "Take a seat." Reiki walked towards the chair and sat on it, Haruka picked up one of the plates and placed it beside her, she picked up a couple of fries and said. "What are you planning?" She threw the fries in her mouth as she looked at him suspiciously, Reiki let out a chuckle. He said. "I'm not planning anything."

Before anyone could say anything Fayeth appeared in the room holding a tray with two glasses and a pitcher of water with some ice. Fayeth placed the glass and pitcher on the workbench as she glanced at him for a moment before she vanished, Reiki pointed at Haruka and said. "What about you? Is the second floor library worth the hard work?" 

Without any hesitation in her voice, Haruka said. "More. If you knew what's inside that floor you'd do everything to spend a day there." Her eyes were filled with expectation as she filled the glasses with water with the pitcher. Haruka glared at him, she said. "You don't expect me to believe that, do you?" Reiki let out a yawn as he scratched his back, he said. "No, but to a certain degree I am telling the truth." 

Before Haruka could say anything he raised his finger and continued. "You don't have anyone behind your back, do you." Haruka frowned at him, she crossed her arms and said. "So what if I'm a wandering researcher? I'm capable enough to protect myself."

Reiki let out a chuckle, he said. "Not enough to keep the contents of your jars secret." The corner of Haruka's eye twitched, she deeply inhaled to calm herself down. Haruka said. "In my defense it's your fault for being studious." Reiki raised a brow and with an odd look on his face, he said. "How is that a valid argument?" 

Haruka turned her head as she looked at the wall, she said. "I'm a girl, I can use the unreasonable card." Reiki rolled his eyes at her. Haruka quickly moved her gaze onto him, with a serious expression she said. "You're not normal are you." Reiki smiled at her and said. "In what way?" Haruka narrowed her eyes as she looked at him, from the somewhat worn down shoes he was wearing and unkempt and scraggly hair to the elven clothes he was wearing.

She placed a hand on her chin and said. "Every possible way I can think of…" Haruka's pupils faintly glowed as she stared at him, she continued. "Especially your mana." Reiki smiled at her and said. "I'll consider that a compliment." Haruka let out a scoff as the glow in her eyes slowly dissipated, Reiki said. "Is the government that tough on illegal activities in everything related to magic?"

Haruka suspiciously looked at him, she said. "You don't know?" Reiki kept a calm expression on his face as he shrugged his shoulders. He said. "I guess your compliment of me being studious is wasted." Haruka let out a sigh and said. "If you manage to get all the licenses, documents, and most importantly keep a constant record of all the herbs, where you bought them, who sold them to you, when did you buy them.

As long as you keep track of it most authorities would just ask to see your ledger and the off chance you don't expect to be a scapegoat..." She stared at him for a couple of seconds and continued. "You're an odd one alright, Akihito Reiki… You don't even know something as simple as this… Do you even know a smudge of history?" 

Reiki shook his head sideways, he said. "No, times have changed since, so I didn't bother." Haruka said. "Then use one word that describes both the dark and the Iron ages. Three. Two. One." Both of them simultaneously said. "Hell." Haruka narrowed her eyes as she glared at him, Reiki flashed her a smile as he chuckled. She said. "Lucky guess."

7