Chapter 88: 5 Minutes
193 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiki placed a hand on his stomach as he let out a small burp, he said. "Excuse me." As he stared at the ceiling at the basketball size light sphere. Elora pulled out a wine bottle alongside three wine glasses, she filled all three of them with wine and passed one to Melanor and Moranor. Enora looked at Melanor's glass of wine and before she could say anything Elora pulled out a mini sand hourglass. Elora said. "Five minutes at the shopping district. Sit by the fountain and wait." 

Elora placed it in front of her daughter on the table. Enora looked at the sand hourglass with a confused expression, she said. "That's it?" Moranor took a sniff of the wine while Melanor was slowly swirling it around her glass as she took a sip. Elora looked at the glass in her hand and nodded, she said. "That's it, do this and you won't need to attend Enrel's announcement-."

Before she could finish, Enora had already picked up the hourglass and teleported. Reiki immediately let out a sigh of relief as he placed his head sideways on the table. Melanor let out a chuckle and said. "You okay Reiki?" Reiki looked at Melanor while he kept his head on the table, he said. "Let's see… I was hit a total of twelve times, she splashed water on my pants, and nearly smashed a plate of roasted chicken in my face... All things considered, I'm doing fine. Thanks for asking." 

Elora let out a chuckle while Melanor flashed him a small smirk. Moranor had a visible frown on her face while she stayed silent. Reiki sat up straight and lazily stretched, he said. "Don't worry about it, Moranor." Moranor stared at her glass of wine, she said. "I'm not, that's how she always is. I'm just bothered that I can't put my finger on what type of wine this is… I'm guessing… mixed herb wine that's been fermented?..." 

Melanor placed her glass of wine on the table, with a smile on her face, she said. "Close, you were right about the wine does have a variety of herbs. But it's aged and not fermented, the reason for the similar taste is due to the combination of a handful of petals from a five-year-old fire lily giving it that faint burning sensation in your throat. A few crushed seeds that dissolved when added to the mixture are from an underwater pomegranate that was naturally grown in a controlled garden and lastly an inch worth of powdered bone from six-foot-tall lizardmen."

Reiki thought. Is that even wine? Sounds like something completely made up… Six-foot-tall lizardmen… With an odd look on his face, he said. "Wait… You guys eat other species like lizardmen?..." Elora who was about to take a sip of wine stopped, she nodded and said. "Yes and no… Lizardmen are another species but are more leaning towards livestock, Reiki. The species that are commonly eaten are lizardmen and wolfmen, a similar trait they have is that they can't talk but walk on two legs." He thought. Sounds about right. 

Reiki stood up from his seat, he said. "I'm going to take the long way toward the library. I need to learn what I can." He lazily waved at them while he walked towards the door. Reiki opened the door and closed it as the sound of his footsteps got farther. Melanor moved her gaze onto Elora and said. "You didn't think of that punishment, didn't you." Elora nodded as she took a sip of wine. Moranor raised a brow and said. "You mean the five-minute time out? Reiki was the one who suggested it?"

Elora took a small whiff of the wine in her glass, she said. "The one and only." Moranor had an odd look on her face as she stared at her half-full glass of wine in her hand and started pondering. Melanor was staring at the ceiling as she took a sip of wine, she said. "I think there's a small chance of it working. If certain conditions are met." Elora swirled the wine in her glass, she said. "I think it'll just annoy her, but we'll never know for sure until after the five minutes are up." 

Elora placed her glass of wine on the table and took out another glass from her pouch and filled it with wine from the bottle. Melanor nodded, she said. "Fair point." She raised her glass of half-empty wine which the rest followed suit. Her daughter Moranor said. "Cheers." Three glasses softly clinked together as all of them enjoyed their wine.

______________________________________________________

Shopping District

Enora was the only one sitting on the edge of the fountain with her legs crossed while crowds of elves continued about their day buying supplies or were just passing by. Enora had a bright smile on her face as she took a big breath of fresh air, she thought. Five minutes of sitting outside and I don't even have to attend that announcement surrounded by all those senile old elves… Enora started humming to herself as she glanced at the sand hourglass beside her. She thought. Has a minute always been this long?... 

She looked around the elves around her and noticed they were only glancing at her from the corner of their eye, most elves didn't even try to look at her and glued their eyes to the ground. Enora scratched the back of her head, a young voice suddenly said. "You're pretty…" Enora saw a young female elf wearing a simple green tunic and brown pants that were handed down to her. The little elf's eyes were full of curiosity and admiration, she continued. "When I grow up will my hair be golden just like yours?"

Enora blinked twice as she stared at the child before she could say anything, the young elve's mother quickly walked towards her side and placed a hand on her forearm. The mother nervously said. "A-Apologies young majesty. If my daughter has bothered you, please forgive her. She is young and doesn't know anything about etiquette yet." The mother was slowly backing away from Enora while she held the young elf in her hand. The small elf eyes were glued onto Enora as they were brighter than stars. Enora lazily waved her hand and said. "... It's fine… Just don't… Make sure to keep your eye on her…" 

The mother quickly nodded and said. "T-Thank you for your understanding." The mother picked up her daughter as she quickly walked away before Enora could say anything else. Enora stared at the mother's back as she tried to speed walk out of the shopping district, she turned her head to look at the sand hourglass and saw only forty-five seconds passed.

She slowly inhaled and thought. Why was she so scared of me?... Enora looked around and saw dozens of elves whispering to each other and subtly nodding towards her. She suddenly felt all the sideways glances on her were full of judgment and the only thing she could do was wait for the five minutes to pass. Enora picked up the sand hourglass on her side and stared at it, she thought. This has to be enchanted… Right?...

______________________________________________________

First Floor Library

Reiki was standing near the counter as he saw the rows of tables and chairs were filled with elves that were quietly reading and jotting down notes. Behind the counter was Saria who was organizing some papers and writing something down on parchment. Reiki nodded and softly said. "Hi, Saria. How have you been?" Saria let out a sigh dripping with frustration and a hint of irritation, she was on the verge of screaming and said. "I said. I am not interested-." 

Saria looked up and saw Reiki, she immediately changed her tone to a more cheerful one and said. "Reiki! Is there anything I could do to help you? Looking for a certain book? Or are you by any chance booking a room for some time? I would normally recommend the tables over there but they are full for the next few hours or so." Reiki shook his head and said. "No, I'm just looking for-." 

From the corner of his eye, he saw Haruka carrying a stack of books and was trying to get one more book that was on the shelf. He turned his head towards Haruka and said. "Her. Thank you for your offer, I'll make sure to keep it in mind."

He waved Saria goodbye as he walked towards Haruka. Saria waved back at him as she let out a long sigh and stared at all the papers on her side of the counter. Reiki saw this from the corner of his eye and thought. And here I thought this position would be what every elf would fight over each other since they value knowledge so much...

Haruka placed her knee under the stack of books and struggled to reach for one more book. Reiki picked up the book she was reaching for and said. "Need help?" He read the title of the book and it said Herbology Tips. Haruka tilted her head sideways and saw him, she was stunned for a moment before she smiled and said. "Reiki… Appreciated." Reiki took half the books she was carrying, Haruka said. "My room." He nodded as Haruka walked ahead while Reiki followed behind.

______________________________________________________

Luxurious Dining Room

Elora and Melanor were laughing at a joke while Moranor had a smirk on her face. Melanor said. "Remember that time when-." She stopped when Enora appeared on Elora's left with a visible frown on her face. Enora's gaze dropped to the floor as everyone could tell she was in a terrible mood. Elora was surprised for a split second but quickly said. "Five minutes have already passed dear?" 

Enora just nodded, Elora picked up a glass filled with wine and held it closer to her. Elora said. "Then have about a glass of wine to lighten your mood?" Enora shook her head sideways which stunned all three of them, she said. "... I'll… Be in my room…" 

Without glancing at the glass of wine she turned around and walked towards the door. Before Enora could teleport, Elora said. "Dear don't forget we have…" She let out a long sigh and continued. "Afternoon tea with that dead bloodline…" Enora didn't even turn around and just said. "Thank you for reminding me…" Which stunned her, Enora vanished from the room leaving three elves who were completely speechless.

The glass of wine in Moranor's hand almost fell from her loose grip, she managed to notice it and prevent the glass from falling. Moranor said. "Was that even Enora?..." Melanor nodded, she said. "No elf is bold enough to cast an illusion spell on themselves to look like her and walk inside the palace. Those who tried to infiltrate had their bodies riddled with arrows." 

Melanor drank the last bit of wine in her glass and reached for the bottle and refilled her glass with more. Elora had a hand on her chin as she was in the middle of thinking. Melanor tapped her shoulder and said. "Something on your mind?" Elora turned her head towards Melanor and said. "No, I'm just thinking about a few things about Enrel's speech."

______________________________________________________

Somewhere At The Hallway

Enora was slowly walking as she wandered around, she suddenly stopped and said. "What do you think about me?" An elf that was wearing a thick black cloak and had the hood over her face appeared behind Enora. The cloak-wearing elf said. "Powerful… Talented…" Enora raised her hand which made the elf stop, she said. "Vera, be honest with me and take your time. Both your vocals and lungs were especially affected by that fire…" 

Vera's breathing was erratic, she could barely stand up straight. Vera said. "Haughty… Ignorant… Naive…" Only the sound of Vera barely breathing could be heard, Enora turned around and said. "Is it… Is it too late to change?..." Vera's hood shook sideways, she said. "Time… Plenty… Noticed… Early…"

Enora stared at the floor and started thinking, Vera just stood in front of her while slowly breathing. Enora looked up and said. "Is that what you think?" Vera's hood shook up and down. Enora slowly inhaled, she said. "Take the day off…" Vera gave Enora a respectful bow and vanished. Enora wandered around the halls with a blank expression on her face.

______________________________________________________

Private Library Room

Reiki was leaning on a wall watching Haruka hastily write everything she could in her notebook. He thought. Nice handwriting. She let out a small sigh and stretched on the chair by the workbench. Haruka stood up and lazily fell on the bed as she softly bounced twice, she moved her bed in a better position and said. "Is there anything you need from me?" 

Reiki looked at the pile of books on the workbench, he said. "When are you planning on leaving?" Haruka pushed herself up the bed and took her combat boots off as they fell on the floor with a loud thud, she said. "I'll be leaving the day after tomorrow-." Before she could finish, Reiki had a smile on his face and said. "What if I told you I can get access to the second floor before nightfall today?" Haruka waved her hand in dismissal, she said. "Did I say the day after tomorrow? What I meant was the same time you were leaving. It's a dangerous world out there." As she let out a chuckle and put on a friendly smile.

Reiki rolled his eyes at her, Haruka put on a serious look on her face and said. "How sure are you that you're going to get access? And are we going to have to escape after today?" He let out a chuckle and flashed her a confident smile, Reiki said. "It's fine, we don't have to worry about having bows being shot behind our back. And the elf who'll give me the card is her majesty herself, so you can rest assured." Haruka looked at him up and down with a scrutinized gaze, she said. "And what do I have to do? Give you some money-?" 

Reiki let out a short laugh and pushed himself off the wall as he stood on his own two feet. He said. "Nothing of this sort, leave me alone in this room for a few minutes." Haruka stared at him oddly, a moment of silence past, she said. "T-That's it?..." Reiki nodded, another moment of silence passed as Haruka got up from the bed. She put on her shoes, tied her shoelaces, and started walking towards the door. Haruka placed her hand in the doorknob and glanced at him. Haruka said. "I'll be counting on you."

Reiki smiled, he said. "Not even gonna ask?" Haruka let out a chuckle, she said. "You managed to gain the trust of five different elves and get inside the library. That alone isn't something a normal kid can do." She flashed him an enigmatic smile and opened the door and walked outside. Haruka closed the door on her way out leaving him alone, Reiki walked towards the bed and sat on it. He thought. Hey, Ender. Can you give me a few pointers on formations?

______________________________________________________

Outside The Private Library Room

Haruka placed her ear on the door and tried to listen in on him. One of the other doors opened as a male elf closed the door behind him, he saw Haruka leaning on the door as he gave her a suspicious glare. Haruka rummaged through her pocket and took out the room key and showed it to the elf. The elf stared at the room key number and looked at the room number, he gave one last odd glance at her before walking down the hall. The sound of footsteps slowly getting farther, Haruka suddenly said. "Took you long enough, Fayeth." 

Haruka turned around as Fayeth appeared with her arms crossed with a visible frown on her lips. Fayeth said. "Why is it that every time I'm called he's involved one way or another." Haruka grabbed Fayeth's left forearm and pulled her closer to the door, she said. "Try to listen in… And tell me what you hear." Fayeth let out an annoyed sigh. Haruka rolled her eyes at her and said. "I'll pay you for wasting your precious time."

Fayeth placed her pointy ear completely flat on the door as she closed her eyes and tried to pick up anything on the other side. A moment passed by, Fayeth said. "I hear one heartbeat through the door…" Haruka was just staring at Fayeth and a few steps away from the door, with expectation in her eye she softly said. "What else?" 

Fayeth moved her long and pointy ear away and softly said. "Nothing…"  Haruka pinched the bridge of her nose and spoke in a louder whisper, she said. "Then use a spell or something. I'm not paying you to listen to his heartbeat." Fayeth had an annoyed look on her face, she said. "Then why don't you do it since you have such a high education level?" Haruka placed a finger on her lips as she made a shushing gesture, she said. "I would if I could. I didn't bother learning any of those spells. If I did I would've never even called you in the first place." 

Haruka moved her finger away from her lips and used it to point at the door, she continued. "Ear on the door, that's what I'm paying to do, so get to it." Fayeth just stared at Haruka with a judging look on her face. Haruka pointed at the door and eventually, Fayeth let out a sigh and placed her pointy ear on the door again.

______________________________________________________

Luxurious Dining Room

Elora and Melanor were still in the same seats while Moranor was already gone. The two elves were enjoying each other's company, they heard the sound of an elf knocking from the other side of the door. The door slowly opened as a female elf wearing a simple green tunic and brown pants walked in, she said. "Your majesty, your… Afternoon tea has arrived earlier than scheduled…" Elora let out a long sigh as she started massaging the temples of her head. 

Melanor's smile quickly turned into a frown as she remembered a certain elf. Elora raised her hand and said. "Thank you for telling me… Just-." She suddenly remembered what Reiki said, Elora thought. After this, she'll be the one to cut the relationship. A sly smile suddenly appeared on her lips, she said. "Let him in." The elf that walked into the room was shocked by her response, Melanor almost spat out the wine in her mouth as she was in the middle of taking a sip.

Elora stood up from her seat all of sudden and said. "Prepare a special afternoon tea set. I'll bring little Nora." Melanor's eyes were wide as she stared at her weirdly. The elf who walked in said. "U-Understood…" She gave both of them a respectful bow, opened the door behind her, and walked out of the room while making sure to close the door. Elora picked up her glass of wine on the table and downed it in one go, she turned her gaze onto Melanor and said. "I need you to do one thing for me." 

Melanor was still processing what just happened in the last few seconds, she said. "Yes?..." Melanor stood up from her seat and walked towards Elora, she reached for her right hand and checked her pulse. Melanor said. "Your vitals are normal… Other than a sudden rush of adrenaline, I don't see anything out of the ordinary…" Melanor's pupils slowly glowed as she stared at Elora's head for any kind of signs as she saw her big smile while doing it. Her pupils eventually stopped glowing, with a helpless smile on Melanor's lips she said. "Reiki has a hand in this, doesn't he?"

Elora walked beside Melanor and grabbed her left hand and interlocked their fingers. Elora said. "I have a feeling this will be the second to the last time we'll see this dreadful bloodline." Melanor smiled, she said. "Now you have my attention. What do we do to have them meet and which result do you want to see?" Elora playfully slapped Melanor's shoulder with her right hand, she said. "Any result is welcome. I just want to see how he reacts."

______________________________________________________

Outside The Private Library Room

Fayeth still had her ear on the door as she concentrated as best as she could while Haruka quietly watched.

『Flash Has Been Activated. Mana Cost: 500.』

Reiki suddenly appeared behind both of them, he softly said. "What are we doing?" Fayeth's ear that wasn't on the door suddenly twitched, Haruka softly said. "Quiet. We're trying to see what someone in my room is doing."

8