Book 1:Chapter 2 ♠ The Village Meeting ♠
814 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The news about the arrival of the Knight and his contingent quickly spread throughout the village. It triggered the curiosity of the whole village. The villagers gingerly talked about the affairs that happened in the village plaza. There were some young men bragging about what they saw to the young ladies of the village. Their chest puffed up as if they were a protagonist of a heroic tale, adding sweet nothings to their every word. The ladies, on the other hand, giggled sweetly in turn, triggering the young’uns to brag to point of insanity.

The married women of the village gossiped about the secrets of the madame’s beauty. Wishing to learn how the madame maintained her beauty after carrying three children. After all, no women wished to be neglected by their husbands. Wanting to become beautiful was something inherent in every women.

Thus, they decided to ask the madame’s secret later.

The villagers and elders discussed the village issues discreetly. They were thinking about the new changes that the newly assigned lord might implement. They also planned to raise some issues about the village. Though, some of them ambitiously dreamt to become one of the lord’s steward by showing their worth.

========= Village of Lotar – House of Village Chief==========

After establishing his merits through the regular monster campaign enforced all over the country. Knight Brooks managed to earn the trust of the Baron he served. He was awarded a fief, the village of Lotar. From a landless knight to a pioneering knight. It was decided that the knight would facilitate the development of the wilderness to increase resources of the barony.

(1000 Acres = 4 square km)

“The village of Lothar is around 2000 acres alone.” The white-bearded elderly village chief seriously reported; “Aside from that, the size of the forest of wilderness is still unaccounted due to the presence of dangers caused by wild animals and monsters. Still, the forest of wilderness contains abundant resources of nature… though fraught with danger. We currently have about 73 families living here, a total of around 500 villagers. We also have self-learned carpenters, forest foragers, hunters, farmers, few militiamen, etc.”

The village chief was trying hard to get the new lord recognized the exact value of the village.

The pangs of passion coming from the old man received the nod of the other village elders. Knight Levo was also continuously nodding along with them.

The look of approval from the knight truly appeared genuine.

“Lord, what are your plans for the village. Should we expand to the wilderness? Plant more crops or focus more on foraging?” One of the elders asked. "How about the trade and caravans? Would you implement a new policy or continue with what we have?

“..”

The questions carried the hope of the villagers for new ideas for the development. The people seemed to be expecting a lot from the lord. Yet, looking at the dumbfounded face of their new boss. Their gazes wavered and dimmed a little.

It seemed like the knight does not know much about land management.

Seeing that face, the village head thought that the lord… was indeed more of a warrior than a manager. Something common to new lords originating from the military. Streaks of disappointment immediately flashed in the elderly village head's face. But nevertheless, he immediately hid it from the knight.

“Kuhumm, that’s enough let me handle this, Levo,” The madame intervened. “Let's first start with the introduction. He is Knight Levo von Brooks, my husband. I’m Annis von Brooks. I would be the one assisting my husband in issues about management of the fief, policies, taxation and land distribution. Now, introduce yourself and your duties to your new lord.”

The wise look of the madame alleviated some of the worries of the village elders especially the old chief. The eloquent introduction of the madame was rather effective.

In turn, the villagers introduced themselves one by one.

“This old man is called Bose, at your service lord Knight, I am the current village chief. I’m responsible for overseeing the whole village. Accounting and distribution of harvest and yields is something I also handle. I am also the one who received the sealed letter of the lord Baron.”

“Lord, I am Zaan, the head carpenter of the village responsible for building and repairing houses, sheds and tools.”

 “Higgs! Sir Knight. I’m the head hunter of the village. We scout the forest and wilderness for resources needed by the village. Hunting wild monsters to prevent monster overruns is my responsibility. We also foraged foods such as vegetables and berries from the forest from time to time.”

“Sean, my lord, I am the herder. I take care of the domesticated boars, goats, and cows of the village. I usually bring them daily in the nearby grassy hills.”

Gib, my liege…

The introduction took a lot of time during the meeting. It seemed like the madame was trying to get as much as possible information from village elders. The focal point of the meeting focused on the local specialties of the village. The madame's questions revolved around goods, peddlers, and skills of the villagers.

After the initial show of anticipation, the long introductions and queries dwindled the village elders' interest.

Some of the elders wondered why the Madame insisted on knowing such tedious thinks. If they were in her position they would rather talk about the new gossips coming from the nearby town. Going home and lazing around would be more interesting than remembering such wearisome things.

Forcing to keep their eyelids in check from sliding down, they nodded continuously to each of the introductions. Feigning attentiveness was their answer to this dreary experience. 

Well, anyway it’s rare for a village to have a lord presiding over it. Usually, the management of the village was left to rot in the old chief’s hand.

The usual routine was to follow the orders of the chief, then slowly finish it. Though they thirst for new interesting things, most of them doesn’t even put a little effort to do something new. As long there was food and water in their tables, all things were good and well.

Never did they thought that noble couple was actually watching their every movement, yes, everything. From the elders' room-exploring eyes, soft yawns, and even their unsettling fidgets.

Nevertheless, the meeting still continued. The madame only showed a beaming smile after each introduction.

Catching a glimpse of the madame's calculating grin, the esquires and attendants of the Lord’s family smiled wryly. The gentle smile of the madame was a bad omen. A simple simper carried the most terrorizing plots they knew in the knight's household. 

Never did in the minds of villagers pass that hard time was about to come soon at a time they least expected it.

Chapter 2 is rolling towards you. Thanks for keeping the Heart pumping! You can support Tryst: City of Scholars by simply clicking the heart button at the right side below. Comments and reviews are also much appreciated. Thanks!

12