Book 1:Chapter 6 ♠ Nowhere to run ♠
573 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The esquire instructed the villagers to go home first since he was still going to scout and patrol the area to avoid any incidents and seek for clues.

Based on what he knows, the presence of a Rank 3 beast was something to be wary of. A Rank 3 beast could be considered as general among wild beasts and monster sheerly due to its capability to wreak havoc and cause deadly stampedes.

The orange tinted-veils plowing through the entire the sky enveloped the esquire's shadow upon his arrival to the village from the outskirts of the village. Davin was carrying the carcass of the dead beast in his back. Thus, attracting the attention of the curious villagers though they didn’t pry after seeing the esquire was going to the knight’s household.

After taking glimpsed at the big blob of meat behind the esquire, the villagers flocked around the house of the knight. The news about the beast behind the esquire noisily spread throughout the gossipy village.

Such topic was hot stuff in the village, a sizzling side-dish for the villagers' dinner.

Despite carrying such weighty monster, Davin ran as if a feather blown by the wind elementals. The esquire immediately determined to seek the Lord and the madame and report the incident.

He gently knocked on the wooden door of the knight’s family. The sound of the three gentle knocks resounded in the household.

Tock. Tock… tockk.

“Greeting to you, Lord Knight! This lowly esquire has something URGENT to report.” The knight respectfully said, standing ramrod straight, his hands on his left chest. The esquire put emphasis on the word urgent. He thought that the encounter with the Deviltusk boar was definitely fishy thus decided to inform the Knight as soon as possible.

As if responding from the rhythmic knock, creaking sounds were heard coming from the old wooden door, tickling the ears of the esquire and some watching gossipy villagers. Unhurriedly it was opened… Though the expected visage of the burly knight was nowhere to be seen. Instead, a jovial smile from a gray-haired kid was what greeted the esquire.

“Ah, little lord”,  the knight blankly stated.

The one who opened the door was actually the second son and the youngest child of the knight’s family, Klive.

The child puffed up his chest. Standing through the tip of his toes, looking oh so noble.

“Oh, Uncle…Where’s mom an’ dad? Whadda you need? Little Klive asked, his face sour yet respectful. The little guy seemed to be a little peeved.

The esquire’s straight eyebrows twitched. Isn’t he the one who’s supposed to ask that question? Anyway, their’s no point if he got annoyed. He should get straight to the point.

“Kuhumm, little lord where’s…

“Elder Brother!  Elder Sister! Davin’s here.”  Immediately cutting-off the words of the esquire, the irritated little guy shouted as he opted to call for a solid back up.

“Oh, he also brought a very big pig,” Catching a glimpse of the beast, Little Klive added, a glimmer of inquisitiveness arose from his droopy eyes.

Running like a wind, an amber-colored hair popped up out of nowhere. It was Liszt. Though, instead of talking to the esquire, the kid instead curiously gazed at the dead boar. He then walked towards Davin and gave him a full nod,  gently tapping his arms along the way. It seemed like the kid was trying to show his approval towards the esquire.

The esquire could not help himself from sighing. Ain’t this kid trying to act like his father?

Like father, Like Son. It was a weird feeling.

Suddenly, Ciera, the little lady with silver hair showed up. She inquisitively looked at the dead boar then carefully looked at the rugged esquire. Putting her dainty hand towards her chin, the girl pondered for a moment and asked.

Little Klive playfully poked the iron-liked hide of the boar on the other hand young Liszt carefully touched its shiny long tusk.

 “Uncle Davin, where did you found this fat pig.” The young lady inquired as her gaze continued to linger around the dead beast. She thought that this Deviltusk boar was too big as compared to what was described and showed in her book, “Rutherford Kingdom’s Atlas of Beasts and Monsters”.

“Answering the young lady! During the training for the villagers, I decided to patrol around the area to assure their safety. Then this esquire accidentally found the beast lurking in the nearby forest at outskirts thus I killed it.”

“ Eh, this type of beast? Lurking in the nearby forest? Was my father or mother already informed about this?”

“ Little lady, that’s what I’m here for,” Davin discreetly said throwing a glance and sign towards Klive and Liszt. “I came here to report everything that happened to milord, but the little lord was the one who opened the door after I knocked.

Hearing the explanation of the esquire, Ciera gazed at her grinning little brother. The little lady could already guess what happened next.

“ I see…Unfortunately, Mom and Dad went outside. It seemed like they were going to look for something or someone. It looks like Dad’s animalistic instinct is kicking-in in again so Mom tagged along.” Shrugging her shoulders the little lady replied. “You know… it is really rare for my father’s instinct to kick in in times of peace like now, right?

Understanding what the little lady was pointing out, the esquire simply nodded. Remembering the weird actions of the knight during the monster campaign, the esquire could not help himself but anticipate.

Davin then moved his eyes towards the two young lords. It seemed the two were already starting to lose their interest. After feeding their curiosity, it seemed like the went back to their rooms.

A glint of excitement appeared on the eyes of the little lady. It was now her time to play with the monster. Thus, she waltzed towards carcass curiously prodding its body. Eyeing one place to another, the young lady giggled taking her time studying the dead monster. 

“Hehe, based on the looks of the Deviltusk beast, it looks like it was a rank 3 monster. The size and length of the tusk and its dark hide were a quality proof.” Ciera said as she continued an investigative monologue. Hmnn…The broken goldish crown-like hair on its heads indicates that it's at peak rank 3 and it’s a step away to becoming a rank 4 monster.

It seemed like the little lady was trying hard to emulate her mother. Having such a charming and lovely mother, who could blame her? It seemed like too much expectation had burdened the young Ciera.

Though looking like an invulnerable little girl on the outside, the young lady was perhaps the most vulnerable among the three siblings. Such rare sight was only open to people who the little lady is close to like her family or the Knight's family attendants.

Looking at the little lady, the esquire could not help but sigh at the sight.

...

Suddenly, a stifling cold penetrated the esquire's spine. His instincts called for adrenaline.

In a few milliseconds, his eyes coldly crept around the place, looking for the source of danger lying.

The esquire witness a shocking sight. The carcass of the beast suddenly showed a series of disturbing twitching movements.

With a swishing sound, the esquire rapidly pulled the little lady towards his embrace. Tightly hugging the little lady, with his body as cover.

A few seconds later.

...

"..."

It was awkward.

The carcass of the beast continued to twitch for a few moments. Then, it was gone.

It was rigor mortis. An event which causes the stiffening of the joints and muscles of a body a few hours after death.

The little lady was truly shocked by how fast things happened. She could not help but flushed-red and released a loud yet delayed yelp.

Ahh...

Hearing the little lady's cute squeal, two little kids rapidly ran for a call of duty with their weapons on their sides. On the other hands, the village gossipers hidden on the corners rapidly formed a crowd on both sides of the house, as if trying to witness the creation of a new mythic story. 

Seeing the intimate gesture, some of the villagers couldn't help themselves and whistle sweetly through the wind. They gave the esquire a thumbs up, acknowledging his thick guts.

Upon the arrival of the two kids eyes went saucers. Their gaze alternating along the little lady, the dead boar the esquire Davin... and the burly man behind the two.

Hearing the whistles, the esquire was jolted awake. Carefully looking at the truly dead boar, he sighed in relief. His alertness fading like the receding tide. He carefully released his hold of the little lady.

Feeling a little tipsy from shock, Ciera staggered and fell knee first.

Slowly turning around the esquire decided that he need to explain what happened t-to t-the crow-d.

...

"..."

A few meters away from him, he saw a thick burly man sizing him up. His aura and vigor continuously slapping his face making it feel sour.

Feeling danger, the esquire swerved his eyes around trying to find his chances of safety. Looking behind, he saw two little kids carrying a wooden sword and a terrifying dagger.

Wait -wait ain't that the poisonous dagger that killed the Wyvern in one hit during the campaign?

Leaning his gaze towards both sides of the house, he could see a sea of villagers which the end he couldn't see.

Ah... the rooftop he thought.

Steering his neck upward, the esquire tried to look for his escape route through the nearest rooftop.

Gently smiling, he saw the Madame standing there, steadily. In her hands lies two well-designed cold sword hooks. 

He closed his eyes and gulped.

What run? This esquire is going face this like a man.

Thanks for waiting for the chapter. It took me a long time to edit and rewrite. Thanks for keeping the Heart pumping! You can support Tryst: City of Scholars by simply clicking the heart button at the right side below. Comments and reviews are also much appreciated. You could also share this series with your friends, workmates, wife, children and even your Moms and Dads. Thanks, everyone!

6