Book 1:Chapter 14: ♠ The Knights of the Breakfast Table ♠
483 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“It’s nice to see everyone gathered here again. Just as my husband said, we will tackle the village issues especially those which needs our immediate attention. ”The madame said as she read one the papers, divulging the core agenda of the breakfast meeting. “The first issue today will be the village trade activities with the peddlers and merchants. The current trade trend in this village is mostly one-sided, the villagers bought things and it's the end. In short, they don’t have much to offer to the peddlers aside from seeds and few raw materials coming from the forest of wilderness. The village chief’s records here show that peddlers only come here for at least once a month. ”

“It seems like that the profit-driven peddlers rarely visit this village. They will rather go to the other towns or villages which can provide them better goods to barter. With this situation on hand, I think we must encourage the development of new possible tradable goods,  something unique that can represent the village of Lothar. Perhaps, you guys can look for new products we can sell to the merchant and peddlers. After all, better trading can improve the status of the village coffers enabling us to do more. ”

Being one of the in-charge logistic personnel in the last monster campaign, the madame knew the value of active trade, it would bring goods needed to support a growing population as well as some coins to keep things running. Aside from those benefits, the peddlers and merchants also carry interesting gossips (news) about what is happening to the other cities or towns in the Kingdom of Rutherford. Keeping up with the latest news in the kingdom would help the village see the trends in the market.

“Though, the one I am more concern with is actually this second issue. The papers in my hand are telling me that the village only has a handful of active workers.” The madame said, swishing a piece of paper as she talked. “Based on the village chief’s list, there are only 33 active persons, mostly composed of the older generation. The current population of the village is about 500 plus persons. We must do something about this as most of the young one seems to love lazing around. Whipping them up a little might suffice, we already started this plan and as you all know Davin is the one responsible for this. We told him to reignite the passion within the men with some labor.”

“Oh, I saw their faces last afternoon, it seems like they are already loving it.” The knight added with a grin, enticing short guffaws from the crowd.

“Maybe I will join them next time.”

Hearing the second sentence of the knight, some of the knight’s official punching bags, aka - training partners grimaced,  their poor hearts almost leaping up to their throats.

“Milord, I-I think it’s a bad idea.”One of the brave attendants said as few strips of sweat shone on his forehead. “I believe Davin will do just fine.”

“Eh, really?”

Realizing the situation on hand,  the madame decided to cut-off the small talk, she smiled and said: “Ahem, Levo let’s focus on this topic first, alright let’s continue everyone.”

“Alright”, answered the knight as he scratched his head in turn.

“The last and third concern is about the current status of the village harvest. Looking at the data and records, a problematic downtrend on the amount of harvest is occurring and as of now the reason is still not completely known. Though some breakthrough on the issue was found through the help of our new members', village chief Bose who faithfully tabulated the records in my hands as well as Old Gazz who contributed the important details about the village soil that might be one of the causes of the low harvest yields. Take a look at the information I will distribute now, if some of you already manage to encounter the same  problem in the past, please do look for me later.”

“Any questions, clarifications or suggestions? ”

Suddenly, a black-haired man with wearing a butler uniform,  a monocle covering one of his eyes raised his hands and said: “Madam I would like to be a part of the villagers whipping sessions.”

“Why, Auburn?”

“I am really great at whipping madam.”

“Oh is that so, rejected, next.” The madame answered as the sides of her mouth moved upwards.

“Ugh.”

“...”

“Regarding the product of the village madame, I think I can help you with that madame.” A lady wearing a blue dress said, despite the fact that she wasn’t as eye-catching as the madame or as charismatic as the knight. The lady was exuding an aura of dependability as her black hair cascaded over her shoulders, her very presence calming and relaxing. “Though I will need the help of village chief Bose. In selecting and developing a product, someone who has the most knowledge about the whole village will be of utmost importance. Milord, please grant this request of mine.”

“Okay! Granted it will be. Bose, do assist the lady to the best of your efforts,” said the knight in a loud and reassuring voice.

“It will be a great honor Sir Knight”, the old chief answered in a beat.“I will also task the other villagers to assist and comply with the lady’s orders in relation to your orders.”

Looking around the village chief already guess that the people around the room were not ordinary persons, especially the tanned old man sitting near the knight’s family. His instincts and his years of experience were telling him that aside from the knight, that old guy was also someone to be aware of.

“Thank you, milord. Anyway, I’m sorry for my foolish brother’s antics. The lady sighed as she bowed her head.“Please forgive him sir knight, madam, and everyone.”

“It’s fine with us Leine, it’s not like this is the first time. Right everybody?”

“Haha.”

“Yep, don’t worry about it.”

“Hey, Auburn you’re going to make your sister cry again. Haha.”

“Want me to help you fix him up lady Leine, he’ll be good to go in no time?”

A cacophony of answers and waves of laughter hummed in the meeting room.

“It’s fine Leine, we already knew his preferences long ago.” The madam replied, a wallow of pity flowing in her gaze.“Besides, my husband seems to love the company of your brother, he even brags how sturdy Auburn is. Right, Levo?

“Yes, my dear. Aside from Davin, Auburn is good enough to withstand one or two of my secret moves. The knight answered as if trying to comfort the lady. “Don’t worry Leine, I’ll make sure to train him harder.”

“I’m deeply assured then, Milord.”

“Ugh.”

The people in the room turned their heads at the man named Auburn, their piercing gazes carrying either a funny or mocking glint. On the other side, Auburn eyes went wide, his legs wobbled as the echoes of the knight's words resounded in his ears. His back sloped to the seat, his eyes not daring to look at his older sister or the knight.

“I’ll report immediately to milord as soon I find a product good enough for barter and trade.” Lady Laine added, a warm smile now present in her face.

“Hmnn. Alright, anyone else?”

“Madame though I can’t make any promises as of yet, I will look for a solution about the harvest issue.” A burly old man with white-hair stood up for his seat, his eyes containing the wisdom of the passing years. “But, I wish to bring Old Gazzy with me. Will, that do? Haha.

Looking at each other's eye first, the knight and the madam nodded their heads towards the old man.

“That will be great Uncle Sept, but at least assure us that you will not break some of Old Gazz bones.” The madam answered. “Will this be fine for you too, Old Gazz?”

Seeing the smiling sun-tanned Sept looking at him, Old Gazz was enveloped by a deep sense of camaraderie. It seemed like he found a long-lost friend. Perhaps, he could share some of the village’s hidden spots to the guy later. He thought in his mind that he should agree to the madame’s order.

“Alright, Madam Annis. I will follow your orders.”Old man Gazz answered as he puffed up his chest, trying to show that he was someone you could depend on.

“Anything else?”

A few moments of silence enveloped the room signaling the end of the last portion of the weekly meeting.

“None? Then the meeting is adjourned. We’ll wait for your written suggestions after you analyze the data later. The madam said, her eyes now looking at the hungry Ciera and Liszt. Just jot down all your ideas, I will look at it later. By the way, do enjoy your food everyone.”

Just like that, the meeting ended, turning into a big food feast. It was one of the reasons why the weekly event was much anticipated by everyone.

Second Chapter of week is out. Thanks for tuning in. Keep the hearts coming, please click the button on the right side below. You can also support me by adding my web series to your reading list. Be my reader. Comment and questions about the novel are extremely welcome. Thanks and Godspeed. Zoom-zoom-zoom ^^

 

4