Book 1:Chapter 18 ♠ Paws of the Death Wolves♠
471 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Another Chapter is out. How are you guys? Going to start writing another chapter. Support me by clicking that heart-shaped button above or simply be my reader, it will absolutely help me keep my writing motivation through that. Thanks for reading and giving my novel a shot. 

♠♠♠Villager Outskirts - Forest of Wilderness♠♠♠

 

The outskirts of the forest of wilderness were covered by a vast grass field. Chirps and noises coming from animals and insects buzzed throughout the forest, a proof a thriving life in the area. In the middle of the grassy lands was a paved muddy road created by the villagers to navigate through the tall grasses, few old villagers would assure daily that the area would still be passable.

 

After getting kicked out by Uncle Sept, Davin strolled towards the outskirts of the forest of wilderness where Uncle Sept had left Old Gazz, a victorious smile plastered on his face.

 

“Hahaha, ahhh! So refreshing!” The esquire hooted as he transverse the muddy road. “I never thought I would be able to convince Uncle Sept to join the training. Damn! I wonder what those bastards’ faces look now.”

 

“Whose faces?”

 

“The faces of those bastards in the training grou-”

 

The esquire rapidly took a big leap back, feeling a bit rattled by the voice coming from a certain guy beside him, cold sweat built its way up to his forehead.

 

His hands gripping hard on the scabbard and hilt of his sword, Davin looked at the old man who just appeared somewhere all of sudden.

 

The old man definitely had something unnerving within him. After all, only stronger people could hide their presence before him and most of them were professional assassins, long-time mercenaries or powerful adventurers.

 

Most of those freaks he knew were in the knight’s personal circle or in his father’s personal guards. And he knew all of those guys faces. But this old man before him wasn’t someone he was familiar with nor met before.

 

“Who are you?”

 

“Me’?”

 

“Yes, you?”

 

“Oh. Hahaha. Where was my manners? Nice to meet ya’. This old man is called Old Gazz. The old man answered as he puffed up his skinny chest, extending his old hands for a handshake, a toothy grin showing on his aged face. “I was tasked by the madam and the knight to look the forest up for possible signs of monsters and beasts.”

 

Hearing the name of the old man, the esquire sighed in relief. So this was the guy, the madam was talking about before. The old man was the one who would inspect the area with me.

 

He almost thought that it was an assassin sent towards him by a certain person he had left in Gartner Town. Though, wariness could still be seen in his eyes as he looked at the harmless looking old man.

 

Better safe than sorry right?

 

Slowly thinking for a moment, the esquire then stretched out his right hand to receive the handshake.

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Davin, esquire to the lord knight Levo.” The esquire replied in turn, his eyes focusing on the old man’s thin visage then towards the eyes, trying to look for signs of danger in the old man’s eyes.

 

One of the things madam and the knight taught them was the eyes of a person was a mirror of his heart. So if you want to catch a glimpse of thought of someone, simply cast a deep look at his eyes.

 

Don’t judge anybody based on what he looks, analyze his every action. The movement of a person’s eyes, his gestures, and the way he talks could give you hundreds of facts about the person. How he was molded by his family, his hometown and many more.

 

Yet, the moment the esquire’s irises met the old man’s squinting eyes.

 

He froze.

 

A chill rose from the deepest depths of his heart. The gaze of the old man felt like it was coming from an unmarried old maid who was desperate to find a man, stripping everything within his mind and heart the moment he was caught. It was as if all his secrets were laid bare in the open, calling for everyone to witness all of its glory.

 

The old man then cast his eyes on every part of the esquire’s body before landing at the thing below his belt.

 

The eyes of the old man shone in delight and then he nodded as if to show his approval, before murmuring something.

 

“Big.”

 

 

“…”

 

All of a sudden, the esquire face flushed as red as a beet. His 18-year-old heart wasn’t able to withstand the words uttered by the old man. This old guy was a madman, a maniac.

 

Instead of being the one to scan for dangers, he was instead the one who was scanned from inside- out.

 

This old dude was definitely an expert, a perverted expert. This was the first time in his 18 years in the world that he met someone like this old dud. This man called old Gazz was a leap ahead of the word vicious, taking the word to a higher level, the old man could even be the personification of lascivious.

 

Davin's eyebrows twitched as he imagined the old man’s notoriousness in this village. His instinct was telling him that this dirty old dud was the bane of every woman in this village. Perhaps, even of the men of the village.

 

No wonder the Madam and Knight added this guy in the odd roster during the last breakfast meeting, the esquire thought in his heart.

 

No questions asked this old man would definitely be welcomed by the members of the knight’s breakfast team. Like what the sayings say ‘freaks and monsters of the same feather flocks together.'

 

“And by the way, Davin, have ya’ seen a handsome tanned old man somewhere round’ he’re? The old perverted guy asked, his hands on his chin, a questioning look appearing in his eyes as he gazed at the still baffled esquire.

 

“Ya’ see that buddy, just suddenly slipped away somewhere. Leaving me behind her’e all by myself, I was already thinkin’ whether I should continue goin’ to the forest or I should just return.”

 

Looking at old man Gazz, the esquire was enlightened of the reason why uncle Sept was so excited upon hearing that Davin needed his assistance. It seemed like he couldn’t wait to get away from the grasp of this perverted old man as soon as possible.

 

Uncle Sept might have also undergone the creepy and terrible experience upon trying to play with this old man. The reasons why he was trying to get away from old Gazz.

 

Imagining what happened the moment he Uncle Sept encountered this guy, the esquire smirked as his eyes squinted, you could even see the delight in his eyes.

 

Looking at old Gazz, the esquire realized that this old dude was an open book. He hides nothing, his words and actions carry no hidden meaning. In short, the old dude was absolutely honest with himself to the point of stupidity. No cover-ups or secrets, just old plain him.

 

At last, Uncle Sept finally met his bane, the esquire thought.

 

“Are you perhaps talking about Uncle Sept?” the esquire asked.

 

“Ya, that’s right. That old buddy of mine!

 

 “Ahemm! Nice to meet you grandpa! I am Davin, I am the one who will accompany you in our patrol as ordered by the madam. Uncle Sept has to take care of the training of the villagers.”

“…”

Grandpa?

Yes, grandpa? Is something wrong grandpa Gazz?

 

“I’m not your grandpa…

 

“Oh.”

 

“Call me Ol’ Gazz will ya?”

 

“Erm, sure grandpa Gazz.”

 

“...”

 

♠♠♠Inside of the Forest of Wilderness♠♠♠

 

Upon stepping into the dark woods of the forest of wilderness, Davin and old man Gazz was greeted by croaking and hooting of many living creatures in the forest as if the forest itself was welcoming the arrival of the two.

 

The forest was covered by old gigantic trees swaying along with whispers of the wind breeze as the sun gently trickled its rays on the thick interlocking branches across the forest.

 

“Oi, Davin boy, is it yar’ first-time enterin’ this forest?” The Oldman Gazz asked as he rustled through the grasses and leaves on the ground, seeking clues and tracks of monsters.

 

“No grandpa. It’s actually my second time coming here.” Davin answered. “The first time was during the initial start of the villager’s training. I was then tasked by the knight to handle it.”

 

“Oh, is that so? So ya were the one who killed the massive boar right?

 

“Yes, grandpa.”

 

“The boar really tasted good, it was very juicy and yummy by the way,” said old Gazz, the sides of his mouth drooling a little after remembering the last breakfast meeting. “Anyway, can ya please stop calling me grandpa?”

 

“But why? My dad ordered me to always respect older people as well as be gentle to ladies,” answered the esquire. “He said that I should call them uncle, aunt, grandpa or grandma depending on how they look.

 

“Then call me uncle Gazz.”

 

“But you look like a grandpa.”

 

“…”

“Bah! Alright, call me grandpa then!”

 

Strutting across the big trees and unique plants inside the forest of wilderness, Davin and old Gazz inspected every nook and cranny of the area where the esquire managed to find the roaming Devil tusk boar a few days ago.

 

Being tasked to look for the presence of any clues or tracks of beasts if there was any, the two scampered around through the massive trees, stumbling over the roots as they sought tiny details for signs and tracks of monsters possibly left behind from the branches.

 

According to the Madam, even tiny details mustn’t be neglected. She explained that the lord knight’s instincts were telling them that was something amiss inside the forest. And at times like this, his senses were known to be usually right on the mark.

 

The questionable presence of a lone level three devil tusk boar who usually acts as a leader of a hog horde was also something that alerted both the knight and madam.

 

This type of beasts in the forest of wilderness usually doesn’t dare to go near any villages unless there was a famine, its territory was being challenged or encroached by some other vagabond beasts, or was triggered by human hunters.

 

As two searched all throughout the area, the esquire couldn’t help but think whether the old man would be of any help. The old man was just standing there kicking and rustling with the dried leaves on the ground, as if sulking after being called a grandpa. It seemed like grandpa Gazz doesn’t even know what he should be doing here.

 

“Hey, Davin boya, are ya sure there’s only one devil tusk boar?”

 

“Erm, I’m quite sure, I only discovered one roaming boar.”

 

“Then can ya explain what these things are?”

 

The esquire sauntered towards the place where the old man was kicking the leaves away. He scanned the area but couldn’t see anything else except for a bunch of piled up dried leaves.

 

“Alright, where?”

 

Old Gazz then gathered and cleaned away the bunch of leaves getting in the way of the view, clearing away the obstacles as he showed the esquire what he just had found.

 

The eyes of esquire widened from shock, there he saw marks of bloody boar hooves, not one but of about a horde of boars, about 30 in fact. On the other side, he could see large and deep mud prints of paws covering the area.

 

The esquire’s gaze carefully focused and zoomed at the muddy patterns on the ground as he removed the remaining dried leaves in the place.

 

It was…

 

Paws of death wolves.

 

2