Chapter 9 – Distant Dream
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once upon a time, in the south-west of Alicia continent. There was a kingdom called Myrdinia with a figure of a castle and griffin on the blue flag as its symbol.

The kingdom was fell by a long civil war that happens in the past.

The Myrdinia kingdom was a large size kingdom that expanded the territory through war. After so many years of war, the kingdom became so large by the territory it's occupied, then entering a long stagnation phase. Since the Kingdom can't break out from its stagnation it fell on civil war. And, the kingdom falls apart by that. Created many kingdoms from its ash.

Myrd is one kingdom founded from the ash of the Myrdinia kingdom. The kingdom took the first half of Myrdinia's name as the country name and the picture of a castle on the blue flag as a symbol. That because they believe they're the rightful heir of the Myrdinia throne.

They take many wars with the other splitting country in the wishes to take what was rightful to them and believe it's their duty to unity the Myrdinia kingdom once again.

After many years of the Myrd kingdom's founding. Except for royalty and some old noble family, the story of the founding of the country faded from the memory of its people. Just a few that still remember the story and its old wishes.

That the tale of Myrd kingdom founding.

 

********************

**********

*****

 

(1336 Mose, Merkutrith, 3rd day, Jaunay)

 

"...That's the Myrd kingdom founding story." Misha finishes her story.

Arc and Misha are inside Trans-Gaffore. They ride it to travel to the Myrd kingdom. Misha's maids, Drylis and Nisself, sitting behind them silently.

As Duke Safron says, Misha departs home the next morning. Misha with Arc, her two maids, and some other servants following the first army to march back home. While the other, including Grandpa Jug, will stay for some time at the former Greezoth territory.

They use the T-G as their transport to the Myrd kingdom. While they travel, Misha tells some story to Arc, included, the Myrd kingdom founding tale. She felt bored just silently waiting, their arrival to the Myrd kingdom. Telling stories to Arc is little entertainment for her.

Arc condition becomes much better. He also rapidly recovered in astonished rate. After one day passed, his throat feels much smoother, and he managed to say some more words than yesterday. The rate of his recovery shook Misha. She feels Arc recover too fast. So fast she curious about his body. But, she was also happy with his recovery. With his voice healed,  she has someone who can be talked through their travel. Her maids, unless necessary, they somewhat restraint themselves from closing with her, making it difficult to talk with them.

Arc looked restless himself from the start they ride the T-G. He keeps throwing a glance at the T-G interior from time to time. For Arc, the T-G is truly something new for him even with his lost memory. He was wondering just how a lump of iron can move and be fast despite its size. The existence of T-G itself different from the knowledge he supposedly knew.

"..Ugh..!" His head ached.

Sometimes, although he couldn't recall anything of the past, some knowledge occasionally would appear in his head, like some common knowledge. But, when something different or unusual comes before him, some knowledge rushed into his head, and he'll be in pain as if it was shoved into his head forcefully.

"Are you fine?" Says Misha worriedly.

"...Fine..."  He reassured.

"Well, if you say so. Just where were we again?"

"...You...say...some...thing...about...Myrd...founding."

Misha claps her hands.

"Yes, That!"

Misha resumes her story.

The two of them enjoying their travel this way. Misha keeps telling Arc many stories she has and Arc who has vacant looks, yet eagerly to listens to her story, as Arc himself enjoying hearing her. Misha smiled spots his attitude.

Misha is pleased by talking with Arc likewise. Except for Grandpa Jug and her family, it's somewhat difficult to talk with the adult around her and other people of her age. The last time she spoke with the children of her age when she was in the village and that didn't even go smoothly.

She can smoothly talk with Arc. For Misha, he somewhat unlike any other children. His manner calm and somewhat mature, making it approachable for Misha, albeit it just the second day from their encounter.

Misha thought people didn't think he was a former slave, just by looking at how he acts. Although his identity still a mystery. If it isn't for; how she found him, how messy his talk, or how he can't read, Misha might be doubted his identity.

While she tells stories, she takes a view outside of T-G. The T-G proceeding at a slow rate, matching with the army march. Misha can look at the lines of men in the surrounding. Their posture was trained and disciplined, walked through the long road.

Looking at how slow they proceed, Misha grumbles. At this rate, it would take a day to arrive at her home.

"...What...up..?" Arc asks, wondering why she grumbles.

"Ah, nothing. We being cut off again, huh."

"...It's...better...take...rest...now."

"I'm fine, Arc."

"Young Lady." Drylis come to them. They both looked at her.

"We already prepare a place for your rest."

"Hey, I said I'm fine."

"Please, just take rest, Young Lady. Our journey still long. You should save your energy, Young Lady."

"Just how long our travel?"

"At this pace, by my estimation. We'll take a rest near the former country border this night. And by the next evening, we'll be arriving at the Geagte city, Young Lady."

The Geagte city was the name of the capital of Everyne territory and Misha home city.

"'Sigh' Fine, I'll take rest."

Misha takes Arc's arm, brings him to her rest place.

"...Geagte...city." His blank look faced Misha.

"Yes, that was where my home is."

"...It's...that...so." Still confused by his circumstances.

Arc was puzzled about what he would do once they arrive there.

"Just cheer up! You have a slight gloomy look there, you know. What have you depressing about?"

"...It just...i...don't know..."

"Well, in that case, Arc! What would you once we arrive?"

That was Arc troubled about. But for some reason, he can't just say that. He decided to tell Misha what first came to his head.

"...I'll...learn to...read first."

"Oh, I think that's on the list you must do when we arrive. What about next?"

"I think...I'll...learn..." He thinks he would...

"...What?"

"...learn to...cook."

"That it's?"

Arc nodded. That was coming to his head. Unknowingly he was craving for another soup like Misha gave him. He imagines he may easily get that by learning how to cook.

"If that's you want."

Misha letting him do what he wants.

"Hope my family at home easily accepted you such as my father."

"... Unnn..."

A sudden slight nervous surge out of him when Misha mentioned about her other family. Arc feels a little scared thinking of meeting her other family.

"... Misha..."

"Yes."

"… Can you... telling... about... your home…?"

"Okay!"

Misha telling about her home to Arc.

Their journey still continues.

 

********************

**********

*****

 

The sun was setting down.

Darkness fell, shrouding the ground. Crescent moon hovering in the blackness of the sky. while the stream of stars sprinkling around.

The army stopped their travel. Take rest from the long journey.

Arc and Misha. Their party set up a camp at a foothill nearby.

During Misha's maids and servant setting up their tent. They both sitting around the campfire. Despite currently being summer, the night wind slightly chilly. As Arc and Misha Sit near each other, using a single cloth to cover their body.

Arc still cuddles his sword in his arms, staring blankly at the campfire. Misha, while wishes get a little warm from it, feels uncomfortably close to the campfire. Apparently, her previous self-death still shadowing her.

She watched Arc, still wearing her robe and bringing the sword from the Moored city. She wonders why he always brings that sword. Can't hold back her curiosity, she ask:

"Hey, Arc... What with that sword?"

"... Uhm..." That sudden question replied with Arc's anxious look. He tightens his arm on the sword in his embrace.

Looking at his nervous appearance, Misha raises her hands, gesturing him to relax.

"It's okay! I won't do anything to your sword... I just want to know why you bring it."

Arc silent for a brief moment.

"It's ok if you can't say it."

"...Nhn..."

Arc shook his head. While he was unsure of telling her, she but his benefactor. He didn't want to lie or conceal something from her.

After contemplating it, he decided to tell her.

"... This sword... something... precious to me..."

"Something precious?" Misha puzzled. It just looks like a worn-out sword to her.

"... Nnn... It's something... they give... to me... It’s…  the last thing... was remaining..."

'who's them?' he can't remember them even while knowing that sword was given by them.

His sound turned sour and quiet at the end. There's sadness in his voice.

That something is given by his dear one in the past, apparently. Misha still curious about that, especially his past, but she can't ask more, fearing it might open the wound in his heart.

After that, they fell into an uncomfortable silence.

Misha turns her face to the night starry sky, observing the night scenery. Her eyes then caught a line of light flashed past in the sky. Following by another one, two, then many lines have flashed in the sky, creating a magnificent view of a rain of light.

She finds star falls rain transpire in the black sky.

"Whoa..."

Misha was fascinated by the view.

Not just her; the soldiers, her maid, and servants, all of them noticed the spectacular sight, they stopping their activity, watching such a rare beautiful view in the sky.

"Hey, Arc. Look at there!" Pointing at the sky.

"…Hoaa!" He says in admiration. The spectacle forgets him his previous sadness.

Looking at the current Arc. Misha thought it would a good idea for them to looking at the view more clearly.

"Arc, follow me!"

"...Where...?"

"There! we're going to that tree." She pointed at the hilltop.

Misha grabs Arc's hand, drag him to the hill peak. They both go under the tree there.

From there, they continued their viewing. Arc and Misha look at the magnificent night space view once more.

The star rain lasted quite a while.

"It's beautiful."

"...Yeah…"

While they both looking at the view, suddenly, a strong sense of nostalgia rushing into Arc's heart.

It feels he already watch that somewhere, along with them.

‘Who's them?’ Again.

The feeling of missing something greatly disturbing him.

Then his scenery change.

He no longer on the hill, alongside Misha. But he stands in the middle of the vast plain.

A moment later, Arc catches a glimpse of what he has searched for.

There're them. They watch him from a distant place, a place he couldn't reach. They smile, waving their hand toward him.

Arc stretches out his hand, try to reach them.

“Arc…”

“…Ah…”

Misha's sound called him, caused snap him up from his daydream. Returned him on of the hilltop.

It's disappeared. They've disappeared. The scenery, the thing, the people he has been searching for no longer there.

His hand hangs in the air, pointing to the dark and quiet space.

A feeling of loss and loneliness envelop him. Warm touching his eyes then drops pouring from it.

Misha looks at him

Misha watches Arc's action from the beginning. She was slightly surprised when he abruptly raised his hand toward the sky. He stretches his hand as though trying to grab something distant in the sky.

He seemed in a daydream when then, snap out after she calls him.

The look he makes after wake truly unbearable for Misha. He falls into a muffled crying, tears poured to the ground, inviting a deep sympathy from her.

"Hey, it's okay."

"...*sob*..."

Misha approach and hug him in her embrace, though it was hard to do with their childish frame. She caresses his back to soothe him. Arc return her embrace.

She occasionally forgets he was a child and former slave as he keeps calmly behave before her. She didn't know what kind of horrible experience he been through or what kind of deep-seated wounded heart he has previously.

Misha takes her handkerchief from her pocket, using it to wiping his face as he calmed down.

"you truly a crybaby, Arc." She jokingly while rubbing his nose, trying to change the mood.

"...Ngh..."

When they first meet, Arc also cries after she gives her soup to him. She smiles lightly remembers that.

"...Sorry..." Arc said, his cry over. He bows his head, embarrassing to look at Misha, showed his pathetic figure twice at her.

"It's fine!" She pats his head.

"Let's go back. the view already over."

Arc looks to the sky. the Starfall rain is over. Just a night of sprinkle star and crescent moon on there.

He nodded, then together back to their camp.

When they reached, the tent finished to set up, and people slightly in a panicked state. Apparently, they worried about Misha's sudden missing from the camp.

Misha apologizing to them for her missing reassured them she was okay.

Arc and Misha sleep in the same tent, perhaps from his previous sadness, he clings to Misha while sleeping.

"Good night."

"...Night..."

Misha let him and returning the hug. They sleep in each other embrace.

 

 

********************

**********

*****

 

(1336 Mose, Merkutrith, 4th day, Vermay)

 

After the starfall rain last night.

The rest of the journey was going uneventfully.

At the time, they reached Geagte city. The twilight advent veiled them in the dusk light.

From a distance, Arc's group approaching the city.

Arc take look at his supposedly new home. Yellow fields surrounding the city. the stone walls encircle the town, protect it from outside harm. Vehicles formed a long line up in front of the gate. Airships and flying beasts fly high in the sky of the city. The soldiers seen walked on the wall.

He can't look at the inside of the city because of the wall. Judging from the outside, Arc thinks it might quite vast inside.

Arc continues to stare at the Geagte city as they gradually approached it. Misha comes over to him, taps his shoulder.

"How it's."

"...That's...Geagte...city." He didn't move his gaze from it.

"That's right. Come on. We'll get off soon." She says, pulling his right arm.

"...'Nod'..." Take one glance to the city before following Misha.

Arc looks forward to his new life.

 

1