Chapter 8 :past/present
51 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We are marching through the forest, returning to the camp  couldn't be more stressful and energy consume then this.

A fox girl trapped by a rope, she hasn't stopped moving for the entire trip, spitting words of infamy, in my back the wind spirit, she'll try to kill me or take back the girl. Her face is that of a predator waiting for his prey to lower his guard.

We're almost there, I hope Luna came back, they don't trust human, but maybe they may be more open with demon?

The smell of burnt wood invad my nose, thank the good she's here.

 

Luna turn her head at the sound of rustling leaf and branches, stomped by our foot.

"Zero did you caught some fi..... What are doing with a demi-human on your shoulder and tied?"

"Well, when I tried to come back after fishing I run into them, they were fighting humans, then they attack me thinking I was with them.  I tied her up and brought back here.

*sigh* 

"Zero can you please put her down and release her from the rope."

I put down the fox and take off the rope. She jump backward and ready herself to fight.

"There is no need for us to fight, because we have a common enemy." She takes off the hood and reveal her horn

"You're a demon! Why are you with a human?"

"It's kind of a long story, why don't you sit around the campfire and rest? I'll tell you how we met."

"O.ok"

The fox girl sit on the grass, she wrapped her leg with her arm and look at Luna, ready to listen.

The spirit is floating around, looking at me with a sharp glare.

"First what's your names?"

"My name is Key and this is my contracted spirit Seraph!"

"You have two lovely names! My name is Luna and this is Zero"

I make a gesture with my hand.They just ignored me and looked by at Luna.

 

"Tell us how ended up in the human continent?"

"SO....one year ago when I was in the demon continent Oqux, I saw a fire nearby a forest and went to see. Humans in armor were eating, cages by their side, they already captured a lot of demons and demi-humans. Then I three man surrounded me and knocked me out, when I waked up it was dark, night had fallen and I was trapped in a cage. I couldn't use magic and those human didn't feed us, they didn't want us to regain our mana or strenght."

"Mmh?...you can regain mana by eating?" 

"Yes, by eating or sleeping, one can refill his mana."

I didn't know that, my mana usually refill itself automaticly, actually more like time meter. I can use magic without mana, but can't use higher spells.

 

"We travelled for a month, finaly we arrived at a gigantic castle, every demon had to pass by the king and if the they didn't met is standards he would have kill them. We were at least 20 people and in the end 6 remained alive. They put chocker to restrain our mana and for those who had higher strengh they drugged them. One day they found out I had an unusual power, seeing the status of people. The king called the church of light and started a ritual, they ripped out one of my horns, testing it, they succeded in making a cristal ball with the same power I have. They didn't kill me because it was like insurance, if the cristal broke they would rip the other one, my horns can regrow and so they tought of profits.They didn't care how I feel, they didn't treat me better either, food was disgusting and I was chained in the wall of a prison behind a magic door, only the king and pope could access it. Darkness was my only friend."

Key eyes were wet by tears of sadness and anger.

"Poor little demon, you must have suffered so much, do you want me to get rid of this human!"

She point at me and ready a spell.

"No, no, no this is the part where Zero comes in. After a year passed, I almost resigned myself, they tried to use me do kill my kind, then the day when the palace is the quietest the door open, at first I tough it was daily routine, beating, torture, but it wasn't, a young human man, with clothes that weren't fit for a guard or torturer appear before me. Even though I knew he wasn't a guard I still said that I will not help them, my body reacting on is own. I looked at his stats, almost eveything filled with interrogation points, exept his name, age, sex, class, Hero."

 

"What!! this man is a hero!"

She jump to the back, even Seraph was ready to fight. Are they fighting maniacs?

"Wait.wait, even though he is a hero,I can assure you he's not like the rest of them."

 

(Them?What does that mean?)

 

"How can you be so sure about this, he's a hero and heroes always kill our kind."

"Because if he was like the others, he wouldn't have save me, prepared something to or shown the slightest sympahty toward me and you. He could have killed you, but he didn't."

"T.that's not true, I am very strong and he wouldn't have killed me!"

"I would have protected her with my live!"

"....Do you know a knight named Markus?"

Their faces changed into terror, sweating and scared

"This man can rival the demon king, the strongest human in all the world."

"Even in the spirit kingdom his name is feared, a cruel man with no mercy."

"Well, he was defeated by Zero today."

"Whaaat??"

Now they look at me with wide eyes.

"You can't be serious, how could he defeat him, what is your level and power?"

................

"Why should I tell you that, it's not like you're gonna change your mind about me."

"Zero..I also am curious...when we were still in the palace you easily defeated three lv 20 assassin and the lv 51 Markus...Is it true that you are lv 200?"

"two hundred? What kind of sick joke is this? No one in this world can be lv 200, only the gods, demi-god or descendent. Don't tell me he is..."

"I'm gonna be clear I am no god, it's true that I have been summoned, but I do not want to be involved in any bullshit from this world. I only want to g on a world tour, that all."

"Zero! This is really important are you really lv200?"

*sigh*

"Yes, yes I am lv200, if you really do not believe try to look at my status again, I'll gladly cancel the concealment skill."

"O..OK."

she look at me deeply and the next second she went pale.

"Can I..write them in the earth?"

"Do as you like."

She took an intact stick from the firewood and proceed to write down.

 

Name: Zero        Age: 21      Sex: male 

class: hero/????

Lv: 200

Strenght: EX

Intelligence: EX

Dexterity ; EX

Mana: none

????

Charisma: SSS

Luck: EX

Blessing of  the god of light

 

"You're stats are as this, the EX mean unmesurable, there is also some interrogation point and..mana none?"

"Are you fucking telling that this is his stats!"

"I mean that could explain how he could punch my wind blade and capture you very fast."

....................
This is unconfortable, none have said a word and are staring at nothing. They complitly lost their mind.

 

"Now that this is done, we should eat something."

I take the fishes from my inventory.
"That a lot of them, perhaps you class is fisherman." said Luna giggling.

I ignored her and put the fishes on sticks, and placing them near the firewood

 

"...Zero! I am really sorry for attacking you earlier, you aren't bad,but we still can't trust humans, we..we just can't."

She spoke with a melancholy, she bowed down, but never looked at me, she must still feel unconfortable. 

" It's alright, but what kind of grudge do you have with humans? What did they do to you?"

"Humans raided our village not so long ago, I'd say maybe 17h,I saw them kill my many people who did nothing, they were good people! I can still hear their cries and screams and my family made me escape. Now I'm here realizing that mzybe I had a chace to protect everyone, maybe..."

"No, right now you're trying to find an escuse for your mistakes, I saw you earlier and I can assure you, You could have killed them all with the power you have. Yes, you could have help them,yes, you could have save them, yes, you ran away."

"I already know that!It's easy for you a level 200, you're not scared of dying, because no one can kill you, but for me, no for eveyone else dying is the worst pain one can feel. You can't tell me what I already know."

She almost started crying, but she bottled up her tear and face me with all her might. She got guts.

"Then go save them, they may still be alive or captured and you got quite the fighting spirit. I am gonna help, but one time, I'll only help you once. Healing, fighting or strategy I will help you one time and that's all.

"Alright no taking back!"

"Guys the fishes are ready!!"

But first I wanna eat!

*Gruuua*

So did Kei, the sound of her stomach echoeing through the forest and she got flustrated quickly.

"I..I.I haven't eaten anything at all since the time I escapete a.and..."

"It's ok, if you want to eat with us then you're welcome to do so."

A radiant aura spring from her and she give the most heart warming smile.

"An angel, she's an angel."

Though she is a demon.

We took each 4 fishes and begun to eat. It was delicous, not as good as the soup I made, mostly thank to spices and variety of food.

"You don't eat Seraph?"

"No I do not need any nutirent to mantain me, I gather the mana around the air and absorb it, that's the same as eating."

"I see, do spirit usually absorb mana?"

"Yes, but it's different for each type of spirit, fire spirit will gather mana from fire, earth spirit from earth etc..."

"That's interresting."

 

We finished eating pretty quickly and everyone was stuffed.

"Kai I have a question, how do you form a contract or befriend a spirit?"

"Mmm...It's actually complicate, it's no for us to decide, the spirit will be naturaly attracted to their fated person. Each spirit has one and when they found him usually they form the contract."

"I see, Do you think I can also form one?"

"It's pretty unlikely, spirits hate humans."

"Why?"

"A very long time ago human tried to enslave spirits, they captured, experimented and killed a lot of them. So it's humanity fault if spirits won't take them as partner."

"Eeeeh...those people really are stupid, what kind of benefit would they gain if the spirits hated them. Even if they would gain some kind of power, they'll just make enemies out of the spirits. The ratio gain and lose is way to big, spirits are strong and human are weak. One person like Marcus can hold ground against everyone, but if it's attrition then humans would lose. Food, money and people are the resources for war and that is why they're loosing against demons."

"How do you even know that?"

"I don't, they're just some ipotesis."

 

"I have a favor!" She stood up, confident and serious "Please help rescue my village, at least those who are still alive!"

She is determinate to go back, she resolved herself and no longer afraid.

"I said you I would help you, count me in."

"I too would like to help as much as possible, such injustice can't be forgiven."

 

"Of we go to the hidden village!"

 

5