Fifty-Two
1.5k 3 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The group of four stared at each other. The leader of this platoon of soldiers was utterly confused, but Rose and Chase knew what was going on.

"Well. . .I suppose you're right," Chase said, "You wouldn't happen to want to come with us willingly and hand over Brian's location?"

"Sorry, but I can't." Mare shook her head. "It would ruin my business, you see. She should know that, no?"

Rose nodded, that much she had said before. Still, she asked the girl, "How much would it cost to buy the info?"

"Not for sale." Mare shrugged, a dagger danced in her hand. "I just came to mock you two."

Her statement caused a tilt of the head for all present. There was a perpetual smile on the girl's lips and Rose felt as if it were directed at her. It did not sound like something the info broker would go out of her way to say.

The girl laughed then turned and waved behind her. "Well, good luck catching me then, okay?"

With that, she broke off in a run.

". . ."

". . ."

". . ."

Chase brought out his weapon and slashed. Water snapped into the air, but Mare hopped up, her body blurred, dodging the attack before landing upon the floor on four paws.

In a split second, the girl had turned into a shadow wolf, a creature whose fur was as dark as the night's sky. Her speed increased as she stomped against asphalt and continued her sprint.

The boy moved his feet but Rose tugged him back.

"What?"

"You should go reinforce them. I can catch up faster, I'll chase her."

The leader agreed with her statement, "Please."

Chase grumbled slightly, it would leave a bad taste in his mouth if she took the entirety of the credit, but the boy soon shrugged his shoulders.

"Alright, that sounds fair."

Rose nodded, feet stepping to go after the wolf.

She followed the creature as it ran between the slummers that littered the streets and soon pounded against the floor to enter an alleyway.

She knew the girl would exhaust her spirit in time, reducing to normal speed. Unlike Mare, however, Rose could use Mana Channeling even as she did not know why she had that ability. She was currently at 95% charge and there was still a mana orb attached to her hip. Mana channeled within her, pushing its way to her legs as her speed increased.

It was merely a matter of time before she would catch up.

Plus. . .

'She definitely wanted to separate me from him,' Rose thought, 'She wants me and her to speak privately.'

That was a speculation she held as she followed after the wolf to enter an alleyway. It stopped in front of a fence and smirked behind before leaping in one motion, clearing the structure. Rose furrowed her brow but her leg bent, doing the same thing in ease.

When she landed upon the floor, what stood before her was a smiling Mare back to natural form.

"See, I knew you would follow me." The girl tossed her dagger into the air and caught it again.

A stab whistled through and the thing vibrated. Rose quickly stabilized herself, a piece of her clothing ripping as she brought a scabbard up.

A spark connected between both weapons.

"Wow you're strong!"

"Do you really think you can fight me?"

Mare laughed as she hopped back. Twirling the dagger, she sheathed it back into her thighs.

"Nope." She shook her hands, numbness escaping them. "I was only curious."

"?"

"Say, you must know why I had you follow me right?"

The scabbard disappeared from Rose's hand as her emerald eyes steeled at the girl.

"A private chat, I assume?"

"Close, but not quite~I'm not the one chatting."

Mare tapped her pad a few times and a face blinked up.

The first thing Rose noticed was golden eyes that shined like jewels. Then, a youthful, tanned brown, face with bellowing black hair to accompany it. The person at the other side of the screen appeared no older than 14.

"Rose, meet Brian."

There was a smile on the man's face as she saw his stare.

"Yo," He began with a minute wave of a hand, "You can probably guess why we're having this chat, can't you?"

She narrowed her eyes.

"You want me to join your side?"

"Bingo," He laughed.

"Why me?"

"Huh?" He tilted his head. "That's a rather odd question don't you think? Damn, if it isn't you, then who? It couldn't be anyone but you, you know?"

"I don't quite get it."

He sighed, folding his arms in front of his chest.

"Well, there are very few Geared in the slums. Aside from you and that boy Chase, there exists only Liz and Colbron—two other Slum Lords—and my sister. You see how it is don't you? I was late for sure, but how the fuck did I look away for one second and Walker already has 3 Geared on his side? We can't fight against that, didn't two of you just rip through my assault like butter? Hell, one of you would have done the work alone!"

He was between ranting and cursing and she allowed him his spite. The next moment, he ruffled his hair.

"I know I can't poach Chase, he's as loyal to his father as a dog," The boy tched, "And I can't get Liz, that woman has been itching to fight me since I got here. Finally, Colbron isn't even a fighter or support type, his Gear might as well be fucking useless in battle."

He narrowed his golden eyes at her. "I don't know what he promised you, but I can give you much better terms."

"Much better terms?" Rose furrowed her brows. "Like?"

Brian smiled.

"If you come with me, you won't have to use any illegal means to enter Alos. I'll deliver you there for free."

That was a very tempting offer. His assuredness at making that a reality convinced Rose that he really was backed by Alos. Maybe not fully, but to at least some sort of degree. Yet, as much as she trusted that he would be able to give her that much, she still had to shake her head.

"That's not all I want," She stated, "I would also like to bring my friend along. . ."

"Fucker, I thought you would want something massive, agreed!"

". . .and to also have her healed."

He laughed after she said that. "That's even more simple. My sister is the only healer you'll find in the slums. Agreed."

Rose nodded. "Now, how do I know you'll keep these promises?"

She hadn't asked Walker that question given that he had been the only choice. Yet, in a scenario where two lords fought over her power, she held the upper hand.

"You want my earnest? Alright." He grinned as he pointed at Mare. "Follow this girl to meet me the next day after tomorrow, at 12 PM. Bring your friend and I'll have my sister heal her."

65