Fifty-Four
1.5k 7 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The screen blinked off to reveal the smirking face of Mare.

"I'll send you the time and place to meet up later," The info-broker said, "Anything else you want to know~?"

"For a price, right?"

Mare laughed, "Aye aye, I guess you know me well."

". . ."

Rose felt like rolling her eyes but could only sigh. Still, she looked at the girl and spoke with narrowed eyes.

"They're using me as a pawn, right?"

"Oh? What makes you say that?"

She furrowed her brows.

"For one, I'm not stupid. For two, I'm loyal to neither side. And for three, I'm a Geared. Well, anyhow, it makes the most sense, and it seems awfully too perfect for both lords to want me that much. I'm guessing I was made a bait by Walker and Brian took it willingly? If you don't want to admit it, that's also fine."

Mare smiled. "You're sharp, miss. Though I think I rather keep my lips sealed for this one, no? I can't simply give out the private info of my client, you know?"

"So I'm correct. Thank you."

The info broker shrugged and Rose watched as she turned to walk, yet stopped in her tracks to look back.

"By the way. Your weapon is very dangerous. . .but it can also be helpful."

"Hmm? Meaning?"

"Your flames listen to your wishes right? Attacking only what you wish, blazing stronger as you rage, and being able to copy an attack and make it your own, right?"

Rose raised a brow. "You've been stalking me?"

Mare only laughed, "Who knows~?"

Clearly the info broker had been watching her. . .for quite some time, and she hadn't noticed at all. That spirit of hers that allowed her to slip into and out of shadows was chilling. If she were any better at fighting, she would be a deadly assassin.

"Try wishing for something other than death with your flames. It's very rare that a Gear could be so limited, even some armaments might have more uses than yours if it only killed. There's a reason why they're the strongest."

Under the sunlight, a shadow wiggled and Mare left her final words.

"Well, at least that's how it usually is."

Her body squirmed as she leaped. In a moment, the figure of the young girl transformed into that of a shadow wolf as four paws touched the ground. The animal glanced back at a calm Rose, growled once with a grin, then stamped forward, its speed increasing with every step.

A moment later and Rose felt a touch of humidity pass her by—like condensed water droplets—as she thought, 'Is she talking about <Igris>'s ability to burn mana?'

— — —

A motorcycle revved with the twist of a handle.

Rose sat at the helm of the black thing, her legs on the plates to her side as Elsa sat behind her, hugging her waist.

". . ."

The two wheels maintained their stance on the sand of the desert and Rose wondered why the girl wanted to leave so early, the sun having not risen yet. There were only stars in the sky.

"Now just tap here." Elsa leaned forward and placed a finger onto the screen in the middle of the handles.

A moment later and the wheels of the vehicle retracted upwards. The motorcycle fell slightly before stopping in place.

"Presto! Isn't it awesome? It used to belong to. . .well, I came to own it and fixed it up but could never really bring myself to use it much."

The girl talked and talked as if she were chatting about someone she loved.

"Alright—now just pull up slightly."

Rose did as she was told and they were off, flying over desert sands in but a moment as the wind assailed them.

"It's dangerous as hell but it's amazing, y'know?"

"It is."

They hovered over the slums, passing overhead of shacks and houses and of the quiet early-morning streets. The vehicle was silent, moving through the air through the tug of mana and nothing more. It looked ridiculous without wheels, but it functioned properly—though janky.

"That way, there, that small mountain." Elsa quickly pointed out.

There was a mound of brown that pierced into the sky. One of the few structures around Alos's desert that reached high.

As the vehicle stopped, Rose realized it faced the rising sun.

"I gotta say. . .you holding me like this is a bit embarrassing. . ."

Rose smiled, looking down at the girl in her arms. Although she was much taller and larger than her, her strength was more than enough to carry her effortlessly.

"Should I drop you?" She asked.

"Do that and I'll drag you down with me."

"I would survive even if you did though?"

"Damn you."

Rose laughed and walked closer to the edge of the structure. In time, both dangled their feet as they watched the orange ball of fire slowly rise from the horizon.

"It looks good, right?"

"Yes. It's somewhat worth you dragging me out early in the morning."

"Hey, if there's anyone that should be complaining, it should be the person that actually needs sleep."

"No, I think I'll complain too."

". . ."

The sands of the desert shined gold. Alos and the slums surrounding it looked stunning under the sky that gradually became blue from purple.

"You ain't fighting for me are you?" Elsa muttered at that moment.

Rose stared at her through the corner of her eyes.

"No," She replied.

"That's good then." Elsa smiled. "I once had someone who tried to do just that."

The girl stared ahead, looking upon the land and reminiscing.

"In the last war, she tried her best to protect me. She tried her best to keep me safe even with the commotion and chaos. But she only became one more blood stain and I could do nothing more than place her where she liked best."

She turned her head behind them and Rose did the same, looking past the floating motorcycle and at a stone marked with the fading words 'Melissa Mont'—a grave without a body.

"This war seems more quiet, but. . .you being next to me feels like history is repeating itself. . ." The girl muttered.

"Don't die, Rose."

64