Twenty-Four vol.2
762 13 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rose watched as a brown, leather bag disappeared from her hand and into mana. Blue dots that soon simmered to invisibility.

". . ."

What really was the dungeon? It could create temporary bags that stored all the mana orbs she had obtained? And once everything was out, it disappeared, just like that? That seemed beyond technology to her. If the ability to create something from nothing was to be placed into someone's hands, then she would have to call that being a god.

"I feel cheated," She said as she walked. Annoyed with furrowed brows.

"You can't be serious?" Lilias asked besides her.

What Rose found out, that she thought she should have realized much sooner, was that actually selling a mana orb would net you less than the lixels required to buy it. It was an obvious thing, as the actual retail-sellers needed to make profits, but she found herself oddly surprised when it actually hit. As if she had been cheated out of her hard-earned money.

Instead of 16 mana orbs being worth 32k lixels, the actual selling worth was 28.8k lixels. Essentially, low-grade mana orbs sold at 1.8k lixels each, but were bought at 2k. It made sense, Rose thought, but she still grimaced.

"Of course I'm serious," She said.

Elsa laughed, patting her head.

"You're cute sometimes."

Rose threw her a glare.

Evidently, she admitted, she didn't know much about business, or economy, and nor had she ever tried to sell mana orbs before this instance. Not to mention, she was a homunculus with limited world experiences. She might be smart, but knowing things she didn't know was impossible.

"It's only natural I wouldn't know," She said, "Only natural."

"Right right," Elsa nodded, patting her head, "Only natural."

Rose rolled her eyes as they exited a store which was quite closed to the dungeon; just after they descended from a segment of the floor lifting them back from the base of the massive construct. The halls of the dungeon association was populated with people, cars, and hoverboards. Pretty much any transportation means. Ad Rose stared at the glass-like walls, and watched individuals pass her by, she ran through her mind.

They had sold all the mana orbs they made within the dungeon. Rose currently had 6 on her person, and that was plenty. In the end, each of them took a share of 9,600 lixels each, bringing Rose's current individual fund to 22.6k lixels. Not rich in the slightest, but an acceptable sum.

'Well, at the very least, if I ever need mana orbs, all I have to do is enter the dungeon,' She thought, smiling lightly. It was a small thing. But a small chain released from her was a weight lifted nonetheless.

Though, Rose couldn't actually remember much of what occurred on the first floor. She knew she fought twice. And killed one Guardian. Remembering also what Elsa's spirit was, she was able to determine that the guardian they killed was a Lightning Wolf of sorts. In essence, she remembered nothing that could help someone else go through the floor. For those who a spirit didn't drop, and they didn't etch it while still on the floor, they would probably forget even the wolf.

The dungeon, truly, did not want to make itself easy through ease of information for others.

"Wow," Elsa said, "This fricken thing must not want anyone to cheat their way up. Are you serious? Where's my damn memory? And where did all my dang mana bombs disappear to?!"

Though they remembered the downtimes where nothing happened to progress their clearing of the floor, they did not remember anything that did actually do that. Elsa was rightfully pissed. Mostly, because her bombs were gone.

Thankfully, Rose thought, she remembered the words the voice had said to her. From entering to leaving. That, at the very least, wasn't gone from her.

Yet. . .

'Something able to tamper with even my memories must be powerful,' She thought. Now that she actually pondered, if it could remove, then she couldn't even be certain that it hadn't added false memories. That was how useless them telling others what they had experienced within the floor would be.

Yet, the very fact that it left them with the sense that something was missing, and that they knew exactly what parts were missing, seemed to call attention to the fact that the thing that tampered with their memories really only did so to keep the dungeon's difficulty.

'It's rather odd.'

The outside world gleaned under sun rays through the window. Rose stared at skyscrapers, and floating islands in the distance, as the bus they boarded began its trek. At some point, perhaps they would need to get a car, and perhaps they would need drivers licenses. Those things were thoughts for another time, however.

"With the forever increasing life expectancy making 300 years of age possible, the City Council continues to debate increasing the legal age of adulthood from 16 to 20. Lobby groups are in opposition, however, citing that only the ultra-wealthy can even think of reaching beyond 150," A voice announced, "The city lord has yet to make her stance known. Yet, being a half-elf who still looks in her early twenties at 73 years of age, many expect she will side with the Presi majority in the council pushing for the change over the Merez minority for the first time since she was elected 23 years ago."

Almost universally, the passengers within the bus groaned collectively as they started at the screen on the frontal, bus window.

"Hmm?"

Rose, curious, and stuck at the window-side of her sit, stood up to get a better look.

"What is that?" She asked as she stared at the screen.

"News." Lilias replied, far right.

Elsa, in the middle of the two, nodded.

Rose arched a brow, 'News?'

She stared at the screen ahead, hand clutching the seat of the moving vehicle. Displayed upon it was the image of a woman behind a table with pieces of papers strewn about her. Though she looked human, Rose realized she couldn't tell if the person was truly a human, a homunculus, a robot, or a hologram with its own intelligence. It could be either or.

The lips of the woman moved as she thinly smiled.

"In other news, the expansion of the city has proceeded swimmingly, and an 11th sector can be expected in the near future to undertake our growing population of five million plus."

To this, there was no reaction. Quite frankly, Rose thought none of those within the bus cared about the expansion of the city. They seemed disinterested. Most had already ignored the broadcast and stared at their pads, or whatever other gadgets they had with them.

"Wow, that's it?" Elsa muttered besides her, folding her arms as she leaned back.

It was an odd thing to realize that a slum war she had participated in was boiled down to nothing of note to those within the city.

Rose sat back down.

"The weather this afternoon will be sunny as always," The voice of the woman echoed, "Forever as bright as our great city."

As soon as they returned home, and closed the door behind them, the three collapsed universally upon the single couch they had. The living room had been furnished, about as furnished as they cared to do. There was a couch, there was a rectangular table in front of them, and attached to the wall was a piece of circular metal with an orb at its center; a television currently off.

"Alright," Lilias spoke first, "I'll go set my equipment down and clean myself up."

And just like that, she was on her way to go shower.

"Whew," Elsa shot back up from the couch.

"Going somewhere?" Rose asked as she watched her movement.

"Huh? I don't stay fit by just standing around ya'know? I didn't have time for it in the slums after the war started, plus they blocked off the roads too, but I'm gonna go get changed then go for a jog," Elsa arched her head back as she spoke, "Then when I come back, I'll cook something for us, and start looking at how we're gonna get into Alos's Mage Academy."

Rose nodded. "Then enjoy yourself."

Elsa nodded. "Will do."

She stopped her steps, paused, and arched her head back again.

"Wanna come with?" She grinned. "It'll be a good time to get to know the area, don't you think?"

Rose stared at herself. She had on jeans, a jacket, and sneakers. Then she stared back at Elsa.

"Doesn't seem like I have the right clothes for jogging," She said.

Elsa shook her head. "Part of the clothes I bought for you were gym clothes."

They exited their apartment and entered into the afternoon again. They both wore sports bras, but Rose wore black leggings, while Elsa wore running shorts.

"First we stretch and warm up," The girl said.

Rose nodded and, though she really didn't need to do any of those two things, followed Elsa's movements. Within a few minutes, they were jogging in place in front of their apartment building. Elsa breathed in through her nose, then out through her mouth. Rose followed her actions.

"Alright, let's go."

And they were off.

"You've gotta move your hands with your legs. And you've gotta breath in with your nose, and out through your mouth. That part wasn't only for the warm up. . .though I guess you don't really get tired anyway?"

"I'll do it."

Rose kept pace with Elsa as they advanced on the sidewalk, the sun piercing through the roofed dome of the city. They jogged in place when they reached a traffic light, surrounded by people dressed in all sorts of clothing. There was even another person jogging ahead, waiting to cross in the opposite direction. When the lights turned green, they were off once more.

The lights turned red and the cars on the ground stopped while those within the air continued their movement.

The two jogged across the street and Rose made note of the surroundings.

Then, a voice resounded across the city.

[Dungeon break detected within Sector 10. All citizens are advised to stay away from the notified area. Soldiers will be sent shortly.]

[Deploying strata field.]

In the distance, an area of the city was immediately covered in a dome of mana—a shield mimicking that of the city itself—and segmenting that section from those of others. The pedestrians on the streets stared at it momentarily, then continued on with their day.

Rose and Elsa shared a glance, shrugged, and did the same.

In time, Elsa was sweating as they passed buildings, turned from sidewalk to sidewalk, and crossed streets. Her breathing was rushed and Rose noticed the girl was slowing down significantly. Yet, she still kept her jubilant grin up as she breathed in and out.

"Oh a park!" Elsa's eyes widened.

Ahead of them, a street over, there was a large, rectangular, park.

"Let's stop and catch our breath there."

Though only one of them needed to catch their breath, they headed there.

The road into the park broke off into two, circling around flower beds. Some people rode bicycles, others jogged as well. There was a playground on the left, and to the right was a building next to a swimming pool. The entire place was luscious and green, and the scent in the air was that of plant life.

Rose eyed it all, admitting to herself that it looked nice.

Besides the flower beds at the center of the place, the two sat down upon a bench, angling themselves to face it as they watched the ongoing world around them while the swimming pool stood behind. Next to the playground ahead, there was a skate ramp where several kids were currently having a go at, and in front of them another passed by on a hoverboard while one chased behind upon a bicycle.

A dog barked in the distance, running upon the grass, and a mother watched her toddler follow after its tail.

"Damn, I should have brought water," Elsa released a haggard breath, realizing she had been forgetful. She sighed. "Oh well."

". . .you're too carefree sometimes," Rose replied.

Elsa laughed. "Yeah yeah, mom."

Rose rolled her eyes and leaned back. She watched her friend through the corner of her eyes. Palpable muscles. Abs. Glistening in sweat.

'She looks great,' She thought. 'She must have worked hard for that.'

"Isn't running fun?" Elsa asked as she wiped sweat from her head.

Rose raised a brow.

She didn't really understand it as she didn't sweat, and her heart didn't beat. If she were to actually stress her body while running—which was near-impossible—unless she herself forcefully stamped it down, her core would automatically pour mana into her to return her to a state where she was comfortable. Homeostasis. And that counteraction wouldn't be due to fatigue, but merely mending damages she caused her body in that process. Yet, something like that would require hours and hours of continual running.

"It's fun running with you," Rose replied. She didn't find the act itself fun. But, doing something while next to Elsa felt calming and right.

Elsa grinned.

"Ha—yeah that does sound nice," She awkwardly chuckled through harsh breaths, "But. . .that's not what I meant."

The girl stared ahead.

"This was fun though," Elsa said, "We should jog together more often after entering the dungeon. Maybe get Lilias to come along next time too?"

A scoff rang behind the two.

"Dungeon? You two are dungeoneers?"

They turned their head behind them as a man stood up from the shade of a tree. He walked out, wrapped in a grimley coat of sand-brown, with unkempt, long, dark-blue hair that had leaves stuck to it, and a face that looked too wrinkled for his assumed age. Behind him was a crude, dirtied, mattress for a bed, a bicycle leaned on the tree—a loft of stuff upon it—and a mix match of bottles on the ground.

"Yeah, what about it?" Elsa replied, cautiously eyeing him. "Who are you anyway?"

The man crudely smiled as he leaned onto the bench, anchoring his weight between the two girls. Rose almost wanted to recoil, but then his words rang.

"A failed dungeoneer that lost everything," He spoke, and his breath smelled starch-like, "A man without a home."

"So. . .you're homeless?" Rose asked, piecing his appearance together with his words.

He smiled as he sighed. Then he stared ahead, far off until his dark eyes sought and grabbed a hold of the sky, scowling.

"Homeless? Yeah that's me." He chuckled. Then he glanced at both of them. "Let me guess, you're both in the same party?"

Though their eyes momentarily crossed with puzzlement, Elsa and Rose nonetheless nodded.

He laughed.

"Let me guess, one of you is a Geared? Huh? Am I right? Am I right?" He narrowed his eyes, looking between them. "Which one is it?"

"Me," Rose said.

His eyes stopped at her.

Then he smiled.

"Oh what a cruel world," He said.

Rose raised a brow. "Why?"

His smile deepened.

He pointed at the sky.

"Do you two see what I'm seeing?" He asked.

"Huh?"

Elsa and Rose followed the point of his finger. They spotted the dungeon in the middle of the city, piercing through its dome. They spotted the surrounding skyscrapers. They spotted the domed islands that floated in the air. And they spotted the flying cars and vehicles.

"Look at those skyscrapers," He said, voice laced with anger, "Look at those floating islands."

He glared at the distant luxuries that either reached or floated within the sky. Status symbols above them all.

"The rich. The Geared. The politicians. They look down on us like the peasants we are. Our world may have advanced, but we're still nothing more than subjects of gloatful lords. Trapped and caged behind walls and borders just as we've always been. Nothing's changed but the means in which we're controlled."

He glanced back down at Rose, locking his dark eyes with her golden irises.

"And you're a part of it."

Elsa frowned. "The hell's wrong with you? Forget whatever you said, how the fuck is she a part of it?"

"Oh?

He turned to her.

"Let me ask, did she need to take the Dungeon Association's assessment test?"

Rose opened her lips to answer him but Elsa raised a hand, stopping Rose, as she narrowed her eyes at the man. "Are you saying she's privileged?"

He sighed as he shook his head.

"You don't get it. You're privileged too, girl."

"Me? Are you serious?" Elsa asked. She thought that was the stupidest thing she had ever heard. She was born and raised in the slums. In what dumbass way was she privileged?

The man, however, scoffed at her.

"If she wasn't a Geared, how would you have entered the dungeon?" He asked. "By partying up with another Geared? Okay then, if you don't have the initial money to buy expensive armaments, spirits, or get gene advancement to be worthwhile in a fight, why would they take you? Because you can punch and kick? There's a ton more people like that out there with the same skill set and the equipment to back it up."

He shook his head.

"Face it. If you're not privileged in this city, you'll forever be at the bottom. Watching as your job is soon replaced by an artificial human made of tin cans or a mismatch of monster parts. Though. . ."

He eyed them both.

"Neither of you two have to think of that huh? A Geared and someone with connections." He laughed. "Best be glad robots and homunculi can't enter dungeons, or they'll be replacing you two too."

With those words, he turned around.

"Now, hush, and let me sleep in peace. I haven't gotten much rest these days."

Elsa's eyes glared a hole in his back.

"The hell are you sleeping in a park for if you don't like noise?".

"Oh, you must be new here." He yawned as he continued walking, waving a hand behind him. "The city's never silent, girl. A park's actually one of the quieter places you'll find."

Rose watched his back as he reentered into the shade of the tree and dropped on his mattress. She understood then that, perhaps, Alos was a crude thing that might appear prettier than it really was. At the very least, it wasn't a city forever bright.

"Don't let him get to you," Elsa said as she tched, glaring at the man who had already closed his eyes, "Lumping us together when he doesn't even know what we've been through. Just because you have a Gear."

Rose shook her head.

"As far as I see it, he isn't entirely wrong."

Elsa scoffed as she stood up.

"You're too logical. . .he isn't right either."

Rose stared up at the girl as she stood as well. "Yes yes, 'mom'."

Elsa sighed, turned, and began walking as Rose followed after her.

"What's wrong?" The homunculus asked. Puzzled. Wasn't she the one that liked making jokes like that?"

The slum-born girl continued on her path. Quiet for a moment as she soon exited the park.

"Elsa? What's wrong?"

Rose furrowed her brows.

"Tell me," She said.

Elsa sighed.

"He called homunculi mismatches of monster parts, Rose," She said, "He called you that. Aren't you angry? With everything else he said too, aren't you angry?"

Rose's eyes widened.

"Is that so. . ." She smiled as she reached a hand forward and grasped Elsa's own.

"Wha-what?" The girl quickly spun around after that.

"Thank you," Rose said.

"For what?"

"For getting angry for my sake," She replied, "But I'm fine. I've had. . .too much on my mind for one man's words alone to move me. So, thank you for moving for me."

There was silence.

Elsa opened her lips.

Paused.

Then spoke.

"Can we. . ." She grasped Rose's hand tighter. "Can we walk back just like this?"

Rose smiled, took a step forward, and stood side by side with her.

"Of course."

Rose found that, for someone who was all about jogging mere minutes ago, she had to walk slowly to keep pace with an Elsa—hands locked—taking her time.

How lewd. They're holding hands before marriage. *cough* Yes this story has had a Yuri tag since I first began writing it *cough*

Yeah. Long chapter. There was a lot to discuss in it. From plot, characterization, to world building while setting some things up. And it seemed odd to try and split it. I wonder if future chapters will be this long? Volume 2, as currently planned, is supposed to be a very long volume.

Also. I realized I forgot to explicitly mention that Elsa (along with her bike) did bring her guitar with her from the slums to the city. That, huh, yeah I completely forgot about that for a while.

It's there though. Trust me. Trust me.

As I'm sadly not perfect, inconsistencies like that will be fixed when I edit the volume as a whole.

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/vwKhVUR

Want more interesting stories? Check out my profile.

32