Chapter 219 – Garden Lights
1.4k 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Afterwards, Barry Diller asked about the results of the talks between him and Murdoch. Eric did not hide anything and clearly told Barry Diller that Firefly will soon become a shareholder of Fox TV Network.

Barry Diller's reaction after hearing the results was similar to that of Jeffrey and Robert Shaye. After asking if what Eric said was the truth multiple times, Barry Diller slowly patted Eric on the shoulders and walked away quietly.

Eric can understand the reason behind Barry Diller's sour mood. The Fox TV Network was established in 1986 and has grown into the fourth largest network in North America in just four years. To attain this feat, Barry Diller has made great contributions.

But even so, Barry Diller only owns less than 5% of Fox TV's equity. Meanwhile, Eric managed to obtain 10% of Fox TV's shares with just one TV show. It's only natural that Barry Diller is unable to reconcile with the unfairness of the situation. However, Eric didn't feel too bad for Barry Diller. The world has never been fair. Hard work doesn't always result in an equal amount of gains.

After walking through the crowd and speaking briefly to a few people who struck up a conversation with him, Eric finally found Jennifer who was chatting enthusiastically with Nicole.

"Jenny, what are you talking about, so happily?" Eric nodded to Nicole and put his arms around Jennifer's waist before he gently kissed her on the cheek.

Eric's public display of affection made Jennifer feel a little embarrassed as she shrank her neck and replied, quietly, "We're talking about girls' topics. Why do you care?"

"Heh, I have always been very interested in girls' topics, so tell me quickly," Eric teased as he lightly squeezed the sensitive flesh of her waist, causing Jennifer to glare at him in annoyance.

Nicole smiled as she looked at Eric and Jennifer, feeling a hint of envy, but Eric looked up right then and casually commanded, "Nicole, I'm a little hungry, can you bring me something to eat?"

Maybe it was because she had worked as a maid at Eric's house for a long time, Nicole nodded habitually. However, she suddenly realized her gaffe and hesitated for a moment before she continued to walk towards a dining table filled with food nearby.

Jennifer saw Eric command Nicole like a servant, so she looked at him, dissatisfied, and complained, "Eric, how can you speak to her like that. Hey, Nicole, wait for me! Don't listen to this guy, let him starve to death."

Jennifer yelled as she chased after Nicole.

"What an idiot. Eric, dump her as soon as possible. If you ever have children with her, even your genius IQ might be genetically neutralized by her empty brain and you might have a retard for a child."

Eric turned back to the source of the words and reached his hand out to ruffle Drew's hair before he joked, "You must have been burning the midnight oil at school. I never thought I would hear you use a scientific word like genetics."

Drew knew that Eric was being sarcastic, so protested, dissatisfied, "I'm not skipping class. It's night right now."

Eric reached out and lightly pulled the girl's tiny ear and asked, "The distance from your school in Pasadena in northeast LA to Malibu in west LA is more than 40 miles. Given the traffic in LA, you wouldn't be able to get here in less than two hours. So, tell me: If you didn't skip school, how did you get here?"

Drew could only tilt her head slightly because Eric was pulling her ears, but her little mouth continued to defend herself, "What kind of an idiot would drive through the city? Don't you know that there is such a thing as a highway? From Pasadena to Highway 101 and then to Mulholland Drive, it takes less than an hour... Ouch!! It hurts!"

Hearing her excuses, Eric pulled slightly harder and the girl closed her mouth immediately. Soon, her eyes became watery and she looked at Eric beggingly.

The people nearby looked at them curiously. Some people who were unsure about Eric and Drew's relationship asked the people nearby before they looked at Eric and Drew, ambiguously. Jennifer, who was walking back with a small dinner plate with Nicole, saw Eric pulling Drew's ears, snorted, and said to Nicole, "Nicole, let's go. Let him starve to death."

Nicole hesitated for a second, looked at Eric helplessly and followed Jennifer.

Eric was about to continue to teach Drew a few more lessons words when "Heroes of Justice" appeared bravely to criticize Eric for inflicting "child abuse."

"Hey, Eric, how can you treat a girl so rudely!" Elisabeth, who came with Julia, removed Eric's hand and pulled Drew to her side.

Drew hid behind Elisabeth and stuck her tongue out at Eric while grinning.

Eric didn't know if Elizabeth was really not sure about the situation or pretending to be stupid, but since someone intervened, he couldn't continue to teach Drew.

"Liz, what're you here for?"

Elisabeth thought Eric would attempt to make excuses, but when she heard his words, she had to say, "Julia is leaving, don't you want to see her off?"

Julia, standing behind Elisabeth, didn't expect those words and she quickly pulled Elisabeth's dress.

Eric glanced at Julia, who avoided his gaze, and realized that this was Elisabeth's idea, but he still nodded and readily replied, "Okay."

After he spoke, he noticed Drew trying to slip away and yelled at her, "Don't run, come with me."

"Julia, it's not even ten yet, why're you going back so early?" While walking to the parking lot outside the villa, Eric asked.

Julia opened her mouth and hesitantly said, "I… uh..."

"Julia is feeling slightly under the weather! Why are you embarrassing her?!" Seeing Julia's embarrassed look, Elisabeth immediately rebuked Eric.

Eric smiled bitterly and shook his head.

When they got to the parking lot, Eric said, "Julia, can you do me a favor?"

"Huh?" Julia looked at Eric, confused.

Eric pulled Drew towards him and continued, "Can you let Drew stay at your place tonight and take her to school tomorrow?"

Drew seemed to want to object but seeing the look in Eric's eyes, she knew that he wouldn't listen to her excuses, so she reluctantly nodded. She knew that Eric had to take Jennifer home tonight so he wouldn't be able to take her, as well, since the two girls would definitely end up in a fight.

After seeing that Drew got in the car with Julia, Eric spoke a few words to the latter before seeing the two off.

After Julia's car left the gate of the estate, Eric did not return to the villa, but sat down on a bench in a small garden nearby.

Elisabeth hesitated for a few seconds before she sat down next to him. Seeing Eric take out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket, Elisabeth habitually wanted to rebuke him for smoking when she realized that they were outside, so she finally didn't say anything.

Eric lit the cigarette and took a deep breath before exhaling a light blue smoke. He then turned his head and asked, "Liz, what's the matter?"

"Are you troubled?" Elisabeth asked instead. Seeing Eric's confused expression, Elisabeth asked teasingly, "Instead of mingling with your many women, you're hiding here and smoking."

Eric chuckled and replied, "I don’t have many women. Besides, women and films are the two major pursuits of my life. I can't wait to enjoy them. Why would I be upset about it?"

This was the first time that Elisabeth had heard Eric speak so straightforwardly. After being left stunned for a few seconds, she rolled her eyes and said, "Your pursuits are really... vulgar."

Eric ignored her words and continued to enjoy the cool sea breeze late at night under the dim street light while smoking a cigarette. He had thought that Elisabeth Murdoch would eventually leave, but even after he finished smoking the cigarette, she was still sitting next to him, which made Eric feel a little uncomfortable. Finally, he asked, hesitantly, "Liz, your father forced you to be my assistant director. If you're unwilling, should I ask Murdoch to forget about it?"

"Do you hate me?" Elisabeth asked suddenly.

Eric shook his head and quickly replied, "I never hate beautiful women."

Hearing Eric's words, Elisabeth felt her heartbeat speed up, but her mean tongue was still in service as she replied, "You never fail to use your glib tongue, you playboy."

Eric turned his head towards her as he leaned back on the bench, unrestrained admiring her beautiful body wrapped in a dress, before he smirked and said, "Then you don't have to run away."

Feeling the aggression within Eric's eyes, Elisabeth subconsciously wanted to cover her chest, but she suppressed the impulse as she refused to bow down to him and asked, " You narcissist, why should I run away?"

10