Tuesday: December 3rd
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was sitting in a lecture that I could actually pay attention to. My phone had the slideshow up on it so I could take notes since I wasn't the fastest note-taker nor could I abbreviate. Most of the time I couldn't remember what I meant when I abbreviated. This always caused me to fall behind and then lose focus in class because I didn't understand what my professor was talking about. The struggle was there and it was real.

Once my lecture was over I shoved my stuff into my backpack and put my earbuds in. As I left the lecture hall, I ran into someone. Not just someone, a cute guy in fact. Fuck my life. Of course, I had to run into a cute guy. Now I had to build up my courage to talk to the guy so I could apologize. This was just my luck.

"I am so sorry," I said. Luckily, I didn't sound stupid. I'll take what I could get at this point. I mean I just had to get this over with so he never has to see me again. "I wasn't paying attention to where I was going."

"It's fine. Neither one of us got hurt and nothing got spilled," He said with a smile. Damn it, even his smile was cute. I was fucked if this conversation goes on.

I smiled back and said, " I have to get going. I'm sorry again." I took off before he could say anything else. I needed to get away before I made a fool of myself. Flustered Hailey wasn't a pretty sight.

Once I was out of the building I let out a breath. I was relieved he didn't follow me but would be kinda freaked out if he did. I mean people run into each other all the time so if they apologize there was no need to go after them. I mean I wasn't rude to him or anything, right?

I pulled out my phone to text my mom and sister. Despite the fact, my sister was completely clueless when it came to guys and my mom married my dad, they were kinda the only support I had for this. If I was going to be made fun of at least keep it in the family. Though it might not ever leave you alone if you do.

Hailey: Guess who ran into a cute boy? Literally

Sam: Did you talk to him?

Hailey: Just to apologize and then I ran.

Mom: Didn't I teach you two how to talk to boys?

Hailey: No.

I shoved my phone back into my pocket and walked back to the safety of my apartment. There I wouldn't have to worry about running into cute guys and trying not to embarrass myself in front of them. I could be myself in the safety of my apartment. My roommates already knew what they had gotten themselves into. I could be as weird as I wanted there and not care that they were judging because they chose this fate.

The second I got to the apartment, I threw my bag on the end of my bed and crashed on the other side of my bed. I laid there, collecting my thoughts. I was easily exhausted mentally, which made me exhausted physically. I always tried to have time during the day where I could just chill and pull myself together. It gave me time to clear my mind and not worry about a single thing. If there was enough time, I could take a nap if I need to. Though if all my classes are back to back, then I could just get them over with.

After an hour of laying on my bed, I went out of my room to get lunch so I could eat before my next round of classes. As soon as I walked into the kitchen, Alice walked into the apartment. She dropped her bag off in her room before joining me for lunch. We both sat at the island with our food, scrolling on our phones.

"I made a total fool of myself already today and it is only lunchtime," I said to start off our conversation. Just something to pass the time until we were done eating. "I ran into a guy on my way out of class."

"Was he cute?" Alice asked.

"He was."

"Did you talk to him?"

"Have you met me? I apologized and then I escaped before I could humiliate myself."

"Come on, Hailey. How are you supposed to find a boyfriend if you don't ever talk to guys?" She asked in frustration.

I sighed, "I have the confidence of a turtle. I'm not pretty. I'm not smart. I'm not athletic. I'm just me and no guy wants that."

"That's not true!" Alice argued.

"No guy wants an average girl who sleeps the day away, is terrible at taking care of herself, loves Disney and the Jonas Brothers way too much, and has a conflicting self-confidence."

"One day a guy will see past all of that. You just have to be willing to find him."

"Nah, that's too much work," I said as I got up to place my plate in the sink. I started to walk to my room. "Plus it isn't like I'm going to ever see that guy again. Do you know how many students go here?" I walked into my room, ending the conversation.

After a normal afternoon of classes, I was back at the apartment. I know, I live such an entertaining life. I never got into any clubs and I quit my job due to stress. I was struggling to work seven to twelve hours a week on top of my school work. It didn't help that I was required to work a shift at 5:30 in the morning every week and then have class until six at night. My body was not built for that and I fear the day I work a full-time job.

I ran into Layla and Ronnie just hanging out, chatting away. Layla was in the living room, munching on a bowl of cereal. Ronnie was in the bathroom, getting ready for a sorority thing. Our apartment wasn't big, so it's easy to have conversations in different rooms.

"I already told Alice this so I don't feel bad about talking about it while she is gone, but I literally ran into a cute guy today," I said as I collapsed on the couch.

"Did you talk to him?" Layla and Ronnie asked at the exact same time.

"Why is that the first thing everyone has asked me? I just apologized and then ran away like a coward."

"Awe, don't be like that. I would have done the exact same thing," Layla said. Layla had about the same experience of talking to boys as I did. Little to none.

I sighed in relief, "Thank you, Layla."

"I'm sure you would have been fine talking to him," Ronnie said, appearing out of the bathroom.

"Easy for you to say. You're gorgeous, confident, and easy to get along with. You get along with people and I don't."

"You're easy to get along with. Plus confidence is all about faking it until you make it," Ronnie said smiling as she gathered her stuff for her meeting.

"I'm not good at faking it when it comes to people. Exams, sure. People, no," I explained.

"We will work on it when I get back," She said as she left the apartment. I rolled my eyes and watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas with Layla. A nice calm ending to a very chaotic day.

0