Chapter 2: A very strange disease
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The talk of the town after the 1324th commemoration of the wolf kingdom was not the king's emotional speech or beautiful snow dress of the queen, but the fate of Marks Flavius the son of Veris Flavius. At the inns, during tea breaks, at the noble's tables, gossips can be heard.

"I can't believe Baron Flavius didn't wait for the end of the king's speech before leaving the ceremony with his son."

"He's so disrespectful."

"What would you have done if it was your son?"

"My life and those of my family belong to the king."

"I knew something was wrong with the boy from the first time I met him"

"The Flavius are military men. He doesn't look like one at all."

While people were gossiping, an old man with white hair and a white beard, a stethoscope at his ears was closely examining a young boy. The old man was doctor Medicus, and the young boy was of course Marks.

"How is he, Doctor?" Veris asked with a worried tone.

Medicus didn't immediately reply. What he learned during its 5 decades of experience is that handling anxious parents can be more difficult than curing patients.

"His breathing is steady. He has no fever, and all his organs seem fine. However." Medicus took a slight pause before adding "It feels like his mind is not responding."

"What do you mean by that doctor?" Domi quickly asked with her eyes already full of tears.

Medicus sigh softly before continuing. "In my many years of experience, I've never witnessed a case like this. Your son's body seems to be fine, but he's in a coma. I've tried all the techniques I knew to wake him up, but none of them worked."

"Maybe all we need is a bit of patience and he might awake on his own."

Medicus turned around and started organizing his tools. Domi started crying, but Veris, as the head of the family, felt as distraught as his wife, but he couldn't show his emotions because he knew he needed to stay strong to help his family overcome this challenge.

"Yes, He might awake tomorrow by the wolf god's will," Veris said those words to comfort his wife and more importantly himself.

"I shall take my leave then, Baron Flavius," Medicus said while opening the door.

"Thank you for your help," Veris replied while staring at his son.

When Veris and Domi were left alone in the room, She kneeled at the side of her son's crying.

"It's my fault-- it's all my fault. I was so focused on the commemoration that I didn't notice my son's disease," she said while crying.

"Don't say things like that Domi, This has nothing to do with you. Even the doctor can determine his illness how could you have had? Veris said softly.

He bent down and proceeded to caress his wife's hair.

"He will be up tomorrow. You know very well nothing can affect this little rascal."

However, Veris's predictions were wrong. More than a week later Marks was still in a coma, and a dedicated nurse was hired to take care of him. As the days turned into months, Domi felt more and more depressed, and Veris felt irritated and angry. He was angry at himself for being so useless and watching powerlessly as his son's muscles atrophied. Only God knows how many doctors he has contacted. They all said the same thing.

"I've never seen anything like this. His body and brain are fine, but it seems like his mind is just not here." Veris murmured as he repeated the exact words he has heard dozens of times.

Domi on the other hand, was at Marks's bedside reading him a story because she didn't want him to feel lonely. At least this could help alleviate her heartache. She would've felt a lot worse if she knew how useless her attempts were.

In reality, Marks's senses were all cut off from his mind. He couldn't see, smell, hear, or feel anything, and he has been like this for many months. Maybe more, He doesn't even know anymore all he cared about was getting out of the trap he found himself in. He was just watching the entrance of the king, and then… nothing. He felt like someone had just plunged him into the depth of darkness in an instant.

"WHERE AM I?" he shouted. "HELP!! PLEASE! MOM, DAD!?" He wanted to cry. Then, he remembered he was tired of crying. In the beginning, he thought it was just a nightmare and all he had to do was to wake up for everything to be over. However, every time he tried to muster some energy to move his eyelids, his limb, or his mouth, something seems to suck that energy away. He kept on trying, but the thing became more and more effective as sucking the energy.

Then, he stopped altogether. "WHAT'S THE POINT OF LIVING. HE SHOUTED IN HIS MIND!"

"HAHAHAHAHAHA" He followed with a burst of uncontrollable laughter followed by total silence.

"Am I going crazy?" he murmured.

"I should not and I will not," he replied. Everything became silent again.

As Marks was being tormented, many more months passed. It has now been more than 2 years that Marks has been in a coma. His story has become one of the folklore of the city. The story of a young noble cursed by a witch that only a young beautiful maiden with a pure heart can awaken with a kiss. Travelers would hear this story in taverns, and commoner moms would tell the story to their young girl to make her fantasize about possible life as a noble girl.

One day, an old man arrived in town. He dressed all in black, and for some reason, it seemed like he wasn't on the street at all. He bumped into people, and they would not notice him at all; it was like he didn't exist. Everyone who tries to focus on him would feel their concentration being disturbed.

"Let's find a place to gamble; I'm feeling lucky today."  The old man said as he opened the door of a tavern. As for usual, people didn't notice him. Only when he was standing in front of the owner that the latter finally noticed him.

Surprised, he asked by reflex "How can I help you, sir?"

The old man replied, "I'm looking for some great wine and table where I can gamble in peace."

The owner was a little surprised by the old man's manners, but he brushed it off as another quirk. He has had many weird travelers around the years. As long as he makes some gold, he doesn't care where it comes from.

"Alright, Sir! Niva, please take care of our guest." A voluptuous red hair lady appeared on the side of the old, sent a flirtatious smile at him while hugging his arms and pressing it on her gigantic breasts that her revealing decollete was trying its best to contain.

The old man attracted by Niva's scent and assets could not help but smile foolishly showing his few remaining teeth.

Niva was an expert at getting men to spend money. She has been working in taverns since she was 15, and now at 35, she has learned all the tools and techniques available to make men spend without consideration. Moreover, this foolish old man seems to have no barrier of defense that required her tools.

This night like many others, Veris was in his study sitting at his desk working on the family's affairs. However, like every night before, he couldn't help but think about his only son: Marks. The young man was full of energy, and one day he fell unconscious never to wake up since. He has tried everything doctors, herbalists, sorceresses, shamans, and priests. However, nothing seems to be working. He and his wife feel depressed and his marriage is suffering because of it.

Knock knock

He suddenly heard someone knocking at his window. He found it absurd since the study was located on the third floor of the Flavius manor.

"I'm hearing things now," he murmured before focusing back on his work.

Knock knock knock

He heard the sound again, but this time more clearly. As a courageous warrior, having fought numerous battles, he did not hesitate for a second to open the window. A strong burst of wind hit him in the face forcing him to close his eyes. After opening his eyes, he saw nothing. He checked the window to make sure it was closed properly, but when he turned back he was shocked to see an old man sitting on his desk looking at him.

"Who are you?" Veris asked with a grave voice.

0