Chapter 3: Bobinus- the immortal
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a moonless night, and only a small candle was lighting the study of the Flavius family in which two men were facing each other in a silent and tense atmosphere. The first one was Baron Veris Flavius, The head of the Flavius barony, while the other was an old man with messy hair and beard.

"Who am I?" the old man broke the silence. " Let's just say I am ugh.. the man who will ugh.. solve your problem,"  he added with a drunkard's voice.

Veris was surprised by the man's peculiar response because among all the answers he was anticipating the old man's reply was the least expected. In the beginning, he was looking at the man as a possible threat to his life or to those of his family members. However, the senior seems just like another senile old man; strange of course, but also drunk. The stench of alcohol coming from him was a clear confirmation of his hypothesis.

'He obviously has been drinking' Veris thought, but his first impression didn't diminish his weird instinctive feelings screaming that there was more to this old man than meet the eyes.

After observing the old man for a while, Veris asked "How did you get in here?".

"What do you mean by how I got in here?  You let me in." the man replied.

"How did I let you in? I just opened the window." Veris froze suddenly. He realized what the man was talking about. He was true that before opening the window he heard knocks, but how can this be possible. The position of the Flavius study was strategically chosen, and the location of the window makes it almost impossible for someone to climb to it unless he or she was flying. Veris has heard about mages and talented warrior doing incredible stuff but never has he heard of an old beggar capable of flying. Moreover, the old man was claiming that he could solve his problem. As a baron, he always has problems that need solving, but his son's illness was the greatest challenge he was facing.

'If this man could solve it' Veris didn't dare to continue thinking. He has had so many disappointment throughout the past 2 years, and the last thing that he wants to do is to put his hope on a strange old man who just intruded in his study.

Veris cleared his thought and ask the man. "Which of my problem can you solve?"

The old man looked at Veris as he was an idiot replied "of course your son's illness."

Veris felt like more than a thousand bombs exploded in his brain. "What did you say?" He couldn't help but ask again.

The old man smiled showing his old and missing teeth, and replied "Your son's illness, I can cure it."

After listening to the man's sentence, Veri's heart started to race at a frenetic pace. It was just like an old beggar being offered a thousand pieces of gold coin. Most of the time it's too good to be true. Veris tried his best to keep his composure, and ask the old man "How can you cure my son when you haven't examined him and you don't even know his illness?"

The old man replied with a lazy voice "I already check his condition with my spiritual sense, so I know what he has. I'm an immortal after all."

"An immortal!" Veris exclaimed.

'That explains everything' he thought.

He recalled a story that his father used to tell him at the dinner table, of his ancestor's encounter with 2 immortals. One of his ancestors as an adventurer, during one of his travel on the continent he met 2 supernatural beings fighting. There were both extremely strong. They were standing on the sky like it was the earth, and they could kill transcending warrior without lifting a finger. Their clashes were causing earthquakes, and their techniques could annihilate cities. He thought that these were just fairy tales from his father.

'Could it be true' Veris thought. He wanted to believe it because this could be the only way for him to save his son.

Without asking another question, Veris ran toward the old beggar with extreme speed using all his high-class warrior techniques and a body he has been training for years. 'If this old man is an immortal, I want to see it with my own eyes' he thought.

"High-class Technique fist of the Lone wolf"

As Veris was finishing his attack, he found his body frozen. Then, he heard the voice of the old man behind him. "What are you doing boy? I came here for a business transaction and you're attacking me?" The old man's tone suddenly changed. He released his aura forcing Veris' body to the ground. The latter felt like the man before he could kill him without lifting a finger. He was a cultivator, and a real one.

Bobinus looked at this little baron with irritation on his face. If he wasn't a righteous cultivator he would have killed this insect with no remorse. 'I came here to help him, and he dares attack me' he thought.

"My apologies Lord, I-I-I was just trying to verify your claim." Veris tried to speak while bearing the pressure placed on him by Bobinus.

"Do I look like a liar to you? Kid" Bobinus replied. "Tell me a reason why I should not kill you for your impudence." the immortal added.

Silence followed, and Veris replied, "because you wouldn't want your boots to be dirtied by my blood."

"HiHi HiHi" Bobinus uttered a strange laugh then removed the pressure he was emanating.

"Let's get back to the business kid. As I was saying, I'm an immortal and I can cure your kid, and what I want in exchange is gold; A lot of gold. See, I've been at the many taverns throughout my journey, but the god of luck seems to have forgotten about me. I'm pretty sure my luck would be back soon all I need is gold."

"I am a very righteous cultivator, and I have never stolen anything from anyone; let's just say I haven't stolen from a mortal."

"I'm ready to cure your son in exchange for a hundred thousand pieces of gold."

"Do you agree with the deal? Remember I'm probably the only one who could save your son before he dies next month."

"What do ya think?"

Veris was shocked by what he just heard, but the only words that kept repeating in his mind were 'dies next month.'

"My son is going to die next month?" he murmured.

"Well, your son has been putting up a fight actually. He should have been dead 6 months ago since his body has been parasitized by a spiritual insect that feeds on his spiritual energy, making it impossible for his soul to connect with his body. I'm not sure if you're getting what I'm saying. In short, If I don't help, your son will be dead for sure by next month."

Veris was just frozen at his spot not because of Bobinus' pressure, but because of what he just heard. His son was going to die and the only way for him to save him is to pay this old man 100000 pieces of gold. He has spent so much gold trying to save his son. He has even borrowed some from his friends and wife's family. He was in a difficult financial situation. He knew that all he had left was the family estate that his ancestors have fought hard to gain.

'What should I do?' he thought.

'Is that even a question? Save Marks' a voice in his head replied.

'You are Marks's father, but you are also a member of the Flavius family you need to save the legacy handed down to you. You can always have another son.' another voice added.

While Veris was going through an inner conflict, he thought about the face of his son who would always look up to him, and his promise, the day he was born, to always protect him.

"I AGREE TO YOUR DEAL!" He shouted.

Bobinus was a bit surprised he didn't expect a member of the nobility, who care so much about wealth, status, and appearance, being ready to give up everything for his son. He was touched, it reminded him that he, long ago, had mortal parents who cared about him. However, what hasn't he witnessed in his 454 years of life?

'Filial love is just one of the many emotions human experience' he thought.

"We have a deal then!" he replied with his ugly smile.

0