22. Stuck Together
965 5 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It wasn’t long before Brielle and Maya settled into a routine. Brielle was fronting most of the time, which allowed Maya to rest. They still found plenty of time in class together to chat and goof off. It was the closest they’d felt in a long time.

Wednesday afternoon, Brielle ended up following Eric home after school. The two spent a lot of time sitting on the couch and talking. Eventually, Maya and Brielle were able to configure things so that Maya was looking at her phone and texting Lily while Brielle kept talking to Eric.

Maya texted Lily, “We haven’t seen Charlie since Monday.”

“Yeah,” Lily replied, “she’s been looking really down in class. Hasn’t spoken up as much as she usually does. I think Brielle really hurt her.”

Eric and Brielle were talking about a project they were working on together. They had third period together and kept making googly eyes at each other every day in class. It was hilarious to see at first, but it wasn’t long before Maya started to find it repetitive.

She texted, “You wanna hang out sometime? I don’t think we’re free this weekend, but maybe next week?”

It was a while before Lily responded.

“I’ll think about it.”

Maya wanted to groan. She just wanted things to be normal between them. It was being selfish, Maya knew. Things weren’t normal and Maya couldn’t really have Lily in the way she wanted.

“I get it,” she replied. “You need your space. Don’t worry about it.”

“I’m sorry. It’s just weird thinking about how I’m going to look at your sister and I’m supposed to be seeing you.”

“I know.”

“It’s going to take time, Maya. It still hasn’t sunk in that this is real. I’m afraid I’m going to look at Brielle and think she’s just pretending to be you. I know it’s not true, but I’m worried.”

“I understand.”

But tears were welling up in Maya’s eye.

“Are you okay?” she heard Eric ask.

Maya turned to look at Eric and Brielle relinquished control of her mouth for Maya to use.

“I’m fine,” she said. “You can have my sister back. I think I’m done.”

It’s okay for you to be here, Brielle insisted.

No, it’s fine.

Maya retreated back into their headspace and let Brielle have full control again. She mused over the conversation she’d just had, wondering if there were some way to have reached a different outcome. It was self-torture, she knew, but she couldn’t help it.

Things were going well between Brielle and Eric, though.

“I need to get my hair redone,” Brielle said, running her fingers through her braids. “I was thinking of changing up my style a bit.”

“Oh, what were you thinking of?”

“I wanna stick with braids, but I’m thinking maybe cornrows this time?”

“I’m sure it’ll look great on you.”

“You’d think I look great no matter what,” Brielle accused.

“Guilty as charged.”

They were leaning in a little bit, eyes locked. Maya could feel Brielle’s lips twitch and her heart sank a little. Eric was smiling softly.

Brielle, please don’t!

Brielle jumped back, startled.

“Oh, sorry, Maya. Um…” Maya could feel her blush. “I’m sorry Eric. I probably made that a little awkward.”

“No, no, it’s okay,” Eric insisted, but he looked away. Maya could see that he was clearly disappointed he didn’t get his kiss. She felt a little bad.

Brielle checked her phone and continued, “Um… it’s probably time to start heading home for dinner. I’ll see you tomorrow, Eric?”

“Yeah. Tomorrow.”

They shared an awkward hug and Brielle picked up her backpack. There was another brief, awkward goodbye, where Eric made sure to include Maya. Brielle got into the car and started driving away. After a few blocks, though, she pulled to the side of the road and stopped.

“Are we going to talk about this?” she asked.

I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have freaked out.

“No, it’s okay. I forgot about you for a second. But we’re going to have to figure this out sooner or later.”

You can’t just forgo your relationship entirely because of me. I’ll bear with it. Just… don’t worry about me.

“…I know you wanted things to work out with Lily, Maya,” Brielle said. “I’m sorry they aren’t. And… I want you to feel like you can pursue a relationship of your own but… honestly? I’m not comfortable with the idea of you using my body to do it.”

She paused for a moment, then asked, “Are you really okay with being a passenger in my relationship with Eric?”

…I think I will be, with time. It’s okay. We don’t have to figure this all out in our first week. I’m sure we’ll have plenty of time together to adjust.

“You sound a little bitter about it, Maya.”

Maya didn’t respond.

The next evening, Brielle went straight home and started working on her homework. She breezed through it, hardly paying any attention. When she was done, she shoved everything back into her bag and picked up the guitar sitting by their mini-fridge.

“Don’t listen, okay?” she told Maya, sitting down at the desk and pulling up a video. “I sound terrible.”

Wouldn’t dream of it.

Brielle practiced her basic chords: G, C, A, E minor. She struggled a bit with the D major. She’d been working on it for less than a week, so she was still struggling to get the positions down without slipping.

Despite what she’d said, Maya did listen in on Brielle’s practice. It was really easy to zone out to the strumming of the guitar. Maya had been getting a lot of time in her own head recently and it was nice to just relax for a bit.

“Dammit!” Brielle muttered.

That, and Brielle’s occasional outbursts made Maya giggle every time.

Maya’s phone chirped and Brielle paused the video. She picked up her sister’s phone and read the message. It was from Eric.

It read, “Maya, you still up for a game with me and Amelia tonight?”

“Maya?” Brielle asked.

Oh, that’s right. I need to take over for a bit.

“Dang it. I need time to practice, Maya.”

Well, excuse me. I like spending time with our friends too, and you got a lot of time with Eric yesterday, didn’t you?

“Fine. I just wish you’d give me a little more consideration before you make plans that interfere with my schedule.”

You were there, Brielle! You were a part of the planning process.

“I don’t listen in when you’re talking to people, Maya. You couldn’t have reminded me?”

I forgot! Now let me take over.

“Fine, I will. Just be more responsible next time, okay?”

She started to relax, but Maya was a little annoyed.

Why can’t you… never mind.

“Hold on. ‘Why can’t I’ what, Maya?”

Maya took a deep breath and replied, Why can’t you just adjust to me being here? It’s been nearly a week, Brielle, and I still feel like it’s just barely sinking in that we’re together now.

“Well, excuse me,” Brielle retorted, “if I’m not adjusting fast enough for your liking, Maya. I only lost my individuality for you, because you didn’t want to wait for a possible cure. Clearly I’m being selfish by not wanting to pretend that everything is just peachy fucking keen!”

She threw the guitar onto the bed.

“I didn’t want to do this,” she said, tears welling up in her eyes. “I only did it for you, because you were so scared and I hated seeing you afraid like that. I wanted to live my own life and be able to kiss my goddamn boyfriend without my sister begging me not to!”

Maya’s phone chirped again, but Brielle didn’t move to pick it up. Neither of them spoke. Maya could feel Brielle seething, but she was too hurt by what she had said to come up with a retort. Brielle wiped away the tears in her eyes but didn’t say anything more.

It took a while for Brielle to calm her breathing again. When she did, she told Maya, “You can play your game. I’ll move out of the way.”

I think we need to talk about this…

“No, forget it. I was being stupid.”

Brielle…

“Just take over and play with your friends already.”

I don’t want to play anymore. Maya was still feeling pretty sour. We need to talk about this.

Brielle sighed, but nodded.

I feel like I’m half a person now, Maya admitted. I lost all of my freedom when I lost my body. I… I don’t want to feel like I’m stuck in here and only allowed to come out when you don’t have anything better to be doing.

She continued, I’m sorry I made you do something you didn’t want to do. I know I’m a burden on you. I know this isn’t fair. If I could reverse it, I would. You don’t deserve this.

“Maya, I would have done anything to save you.”

I shouldn’t have asked you to. I just hurt you in the process.

“You didn’t hurt me. I just got hurt, and I’ll recover,” Brielle said. “It’ll be slow, but I’m going to get over it. And you’ll be able to take control and date whoever you want and people will recognize that you’re here. Just… I need time, okay?”

…okay. I’m sorry.

“Don’t apologize,” Brielle told her. “Or, better yet, apology accepted, now forget about it. Your friends are waiting for you to play with them.”

I’d rather not, Maya said. It can wait until another day. Can you tell them that I’m just not feeling well?

Brielle texted back a quick message and put Maya’s phone back down. Then she climbed up onto the bed and sprawled out. Slowly, she took in a deep breath and let it out.

Do you think we’ll be able to spend the rest of our lives like this? Maya asked.

Brielle thought back, Maybe. I don’t really want to think about this right now.

Maybe Dad is preparing dinner? We could help.

Brielle grunted and got up out of bed. They headed down the stairs and into the kitchen. Their dad was putting meatloaf in the oven.

“Hey kids,” he said. “I was going to make a salad to go along with dinner if you want to assist.”

“We’d love to, Dad.”

Brielle and Maya got started grating cheese while their father cut lettuce. Things were quiet at first. Maya just quietly hummed to herself in Brielle’s head. After a few moments, she heard Brielle start humming along as well.

“Are you two doing okay?” their father asked. “I heard shouting upstairs earlier.”

Maya cringed a little bit, and felt Brielle do the same.

“Everything is fine,” Brielle insisted. “We just had a disagreement.”

“You two need to get along,” their father told them. “You’re closer to each other than ever before. I can’t imagine what it’s like for the two of you, but you’ll need to take care of each other. Promise me you will.”

“I promise, Dad,” Brielle said.

I promise, Maya added, even though he couldn’t hear her.

Part of her had been very worried that once she didn’t have a body of her own, she wouldn’t really be a part of the family anymore. Perhaps it had been silly, but with how long it had taken her parents to adjust to her being there it seemed all too likely. The fact that her father went out of his way to acknowledge her meant a lot to Maya.

Brielle looked up when their mom entered the kitchen.

“How are you, Brielle?” she asked.

“I’m okay.”

“And you, Maya?”

Maya wormed her way to the front.

“I’m alright,” she said. “It’s a lot to get used to, that’s all.”

“That’s good to hear, sweetie.”

Maya smiled a little, then lowered her head.

“I’m sorry about the outburst I had the other day,” she said. “I shouldn’t have shouted at all of you like that.”

“No, dear,” her mom replied. “We needed the wake-up call. It was wrong of us to ignore you like we had been.”

She felt herself being hugged from behind and glanced up to see her father.

“She’s right,” he said. “We were hurting you and it was wrong of us.”

Yeah, Maya, Brielle added, You deserved better than what we were giving you. Don’t feel bad.

Maya grinned and leaned into the hug her father was giving her. Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad after all. As long as she had her family, everything would be—

The ringing of the doorbell interrupted her thoughts.

“I’ll get it,” her father said, letting go.

Maya turned to her mother and gave her a hug instead, but after a moment her father called out for them to join him. Maya and her mother exchanged a look and left the kitchen. Standing at the open front door was a young Arab woman in long orange robes.

“Gemini. Good, you’re here,” Ilham said. “I have something you’ll want to hear.”

“We asked you to stay away!” Maya told her.

This is just what we need right now, Brielle groaned.

“I know,” Ilham continued, stepping inside, “But hear me out, okay? I messed up. Bad. It’s only because of me that you two are in the position and… I feel guilty, alright? It’s my fault that all this happened to Maya and I need to try to make up for it, okay?”

Maya exchanged a glance with her parents, then folded her arm and replied, “Alright.”

Ilham’s face lit up.

“Alright,” she said, rubbing her hands together. “So I figured you were going to follow my advice and stick yourself in your sister’s head. I called a few friends, then a few friends of a friend, and I think I found it. An experimental spell that allows headmates to attain their own bodies! Can you believe it?! A loophole! I found an actual loophole that’ll let you have your own body again!”

“With all due respect,” Maya’s mother said, “I don’t think we’re—”

“Yes.” Everyone turned to look at Maya. “I want to do this.”

Maya, are you sure?

“I’m sure,” she said. “I think that maybe the two of us could make this work, with enough time. But I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I had the chance to give Brielle her own body back and didn’t take it. We have to try.”

Everyone was silent for a moment, then Brielle nudged Maya and asked if she could take control. Maya relaxed and let Brielle move to the front.

“I think we should do this,” Brielle said. “I’m not all too keen on trusting Ilham after everything that’s happened. But I trust Maya. If she’s determined to get her own body back, then after everything she’s been through we owe it to her to help.”

Thank you, Brielle.

Of course, Maya.

Finally, some good news!

We're in the home stretch now. Just a few more chapters to go and this story comes to an end. I'm going to miss these characters a lot.

46