Chapter Two – The Traitors in the Night
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night continued to drag on and I was stuck with all the other noble children. It wasn't too bad I guess, at least Karen didn't drag me into trouble. Also, Ralph left me alone to glare at me with the other nobles from his land, but I was glad to be just glared at and not talked to by him. 

His older brother Darren, a tall well-built eighteen-year-old with brown hair that was completely average except for the scar across his face from a woman’s nails, was training with some mercenaries according to father, as is for why it’s because he couldn’t be acceptable as a royal battlemage and be trained in the capital. His attitude was “poor” when it came to the commoners, but father stated that was an understatement as Darren was known to kill commoners that disagreed with him or if a commoner didn’t let Darren have his wife for the night. If Darren wanted it, he would get it and even his father Duke Harold didn’t stop his own son from raping and killing their own subjects. So, I was happy to only be dealing with Ralph and not Darren today on my birthday. Especially the way he always hangs around Karen and Lindsey like a dog in heat the way he leered at them. 

I looked around the room to try and find the old wizard, but he was nowhere to be found. Not surprising as he always finds a way to leave these types of parties. I was getting tired myself and was walking towards my father and mother to ask permission to go to bed. As I approached I saw that Duke Harold and Duke Christoph were talking with father. 

“William my dear friend, thank you again for allowing us to come celebrate with you this evening." Duke Christoph said.  

“Of course, Henry, we are neighbors and fellow nobles.” My father replied. 

“Henry, it is late into the night are you sure you wish to leave? I know that William has plenty of room for both of our parties tonight. It is so late and dangerous to return with no light.” Duke Harold stated. 

“Fabian of course I know it is late and may be dangerous, but I have pressing issues that I need to handle tomorrow afternoon which requires me to be there. Especially with the mining issues, I am facing as you may know Fabian." Duke Christoph replied with a glare to Duke Harold. 

“Now, now gentlemen. I will not have a fight break out between the two of you, especially in my castle. I am the one appointed by the king to deal with this issue amongst the two of you and I will handle this with my utmost care." My father said as he glared at the two dukes.  

“Apologies William, I meant no offense, I am tired and stressed. I meant nothing by it.” Duke Christoph said. 

“William, I am sure Henry meant nothing by it. Henry, I only meant for you to stay to help alleviate my worries about your party traveling through the night." Duke Harold said to both parties.

“Fabian, thank you for your concern but it is not needed. If nothing further, I will take my leave. Gerald, please get my daughter and have the family ready to move out. We are leaving within the hour.” Duke Christoph said as he called for his butler and walked away to his wife. 

“William, thank you again for the hospitality for allowing my family to stay the night in the castle.” Duke Harold said to my father. 

“Of course, Fabian, I wouldn’t want something unbecoming to happen to you on the way home from my son’s celebration tonight. There is always a place for a noble in my castle, there is no need to thank me. Ah Samuel, what is it, my son?"

“Father apologies for interrupting, I only came to ask permission to go to bed as I am tired and wish to rest," I asked my father with a pleading look.

“Of course, Samuel, what father would I be if I denied my growing boy sleep? Off with you but make sure to tell your guests goodbye before heading to bed.” My father said to me with a stern face but soft eyes. 

"Yes, father. Thank you, Duke Harold, for attending my celebration today. I wish you a good night." I said to the Duke without having my disdain show on my face. Based on the look from the Duke, it appears I failed as he looked at me with a sharp gaze that saw through my façade. 

“Samuel my dear boy, it was wonderful to be here to celebrate and I hope to see you again real soon. It is always wonderful to be here in the castle and the Shire Valley. Such a beautiful piece of a dukedom, too bad it doesn't belong to the Harold Family. Ah, I shouldn't say such things, apologies William." Duke Harold said with a piercing look then a slight glare to my father with his last part. 

“Fabian, no need to apologize, I know my land is beautiful. Land usually represents the nobles who own it, so how is your bleak land to the south of me? I heard more creatures were coming out from the dark forest?” My father said with a sharp glare towards the Duke. I knew to take my leave now. It looks like my mother was going to step in, so I hurriedly escaped the word fight between Duke Harold and my father. 

I went to all the guests that I cared for and some I didn’t, to say my thanks and goodbyes. 

“Karen, thank you for attending my birthday and I wish you safe travels tonight.”

“Samuel, it was not a problem at all, just make sure to attend mine in a few months’ time. Remember, I want a pony this year, my father doesn’t wish to give me one yet, but I know he won’t refuse one if you give me one. A beautiful lady requires a beautiful horse to ride.” Karen said with a sigh looking at the ceiling, lost in her own mind. 

“Hmm, I will see what I can do, my average lady," I said and ran away before she could say anything.

Karen was yelling something, but I did not hear it as I was too far away or maybe I didn't care to, only the gods above know. I ran to my room and with the help of Alice made myself ready for bed. I thanked her for the help and wished her a good night. Alice left to her own room in the servant corridors a floor below mine. 

I finally laid down to rest and thought on the day I had. It was nice to spend time with the family and see some nobles I haven’t seen in a while. It was nice to see Karen if only she could be quiet for just a moment, so I could appreciate her cuteness but alas as a spoiled brat as the old wizard always called her, she always had to say something. 

It felt like just a moment when I closed my eyes to rest but I woke with a start to being shoved around. I opened my eyes and sat up to see the old wizard shaking me awake. 

“What are you doing old man?” I nearly shouted at the old wizard. 

“Hurry my boy, the castle is under attack. We need to grab your things and leave right now.” The old wizard said in a hurried manner while moving around the room to grab my things. 

“Attacked? What do you mean attacked? Who is attacking us? Are you joking with me?” I tried to say calmly while not trying to sound scared. I hoped this crazy old wizard was joking with me even if it was a bad joke. 

“Boy, I do not have time to tell you the details. We must leave now if there is any chance of us leaving this castle alive. I promised your father when you were born that I would protect you no matter what if I was able. So, help me gather the essentials, we need to leave now.” 

“I don’t want to go!” I exclaimed. “I want to stay and help mother and father.” 

The wizened wizard stared into my eyes while grimacing. "I know you do Samuel," he said. "but you are not enough to change the tide of battle and you need to be protected until it's safe to return."

The wizard, who has watched over me since my birth and has taught me everything I know continued to gather my things in my darkroom. All around me I heard the screams of war and the bangs of steel. Even in my young age, I knew that what I heard was not the winning side of my family guard but the traitors destroying everything I know and love.

1