CHAPTER 18
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I eventually found the right way to the hospital. The doors were locked, had to press a doorbell.

Bzzzzz.

“Hello?” a voice startled me. I did not know where it came from, but it sounded very artificial and had a background noise similar to heavy downpour.

“Can you let me in..?” I asked, slightly hesitant, “I’m here to see a patient.”

The door lock clicked, allowing me to enter. The reception felt even quieter than the streets, and was equally as empty. I roamed the white sterile corridors, passing one ceiling light after the other, moving quickly through the gloom in between them. I hadn’t always been afraid of the dark. Used to go on long walks in the evenings back home, but after what I had been through in this valley, I could only associate darkness with horror.

Found it. “Bò” had been scribbled in white chalk on a blackboard by one of the rooms. I gently turned the doorknob. Emily was fast asleep on a chair, head tilted back, and mouth wide open. Transparent liquid ran through a tube going into Bò’s arm on the bed next to her. I lightly kicked Emily’s foot.

“I wasn’t sleeping,” she shook her head while stretching her arms.

“Is he going to make it?” I asked.

“Yes, but there’s still the slight possibility that the wound could get infected.”

“Well disinfect it then.”

“They have, with the purest alcohol, but sometimes even that is not enough.”

“Will he be able to fight?”

“Not a chance. He should stay here and recover while we get your sister.”

“I’ve made it this far,” Bò suddenly said, in a voice raspier than usual, “I’m coming with you.” He sat up in his bed, placing both feet on the ground.

“You shouldn’t,” Emily told him.

Bò put his weight on his feet little by little, then stood up.

“See? I’m.. fine..” his feet gave way. The tube ripped out of his arm.

“Bò!” Emily rushed over to him.

“Get the crutches!” She pointed to the corner of the room where a pair of crutches were leaning against the wall. I brought them over to Bò. He began regaining consciousness.

“You fainted!” Emily said.

“Oops, laying down for so long does that. I’m fine, really.” Bò replied.

He tried using the crutches to get back on his feet.

“Aaaagh!” he reacted as if he had just gotten stabbed. The sound of the crutches falling onto the floor in front of him echoed. Bò remained sitting, leaned against the hospital bed.

He cried: “I’ll never be as great as my father.. He helped so many people throughout his life.. And I can’t even help a little girl.. I’m a dishonor to his name!” He slammed his fist into the floor.

“You’ve helped plenty already, you did good,” Emily said, “here. This’ll cheer you up.”

She handed him an open tin can; the tar one from Yellowport. Bò took a pinch, and stuck it under his lip.

“Thank you..” he sighed, “I can’t stand to see the disappointment in my mother’s eyes when I tell her I wasn’t there for the grand finale.”

“I made your mother a promise. A promise to keep you alive. She doesn’t care whether you’re a hero or not, she only wants her son to come home,” I told him.

“She said that?”

“Yes, she loves you more than anything in this world. Don’t end up like Tòmaz, please, for her sake..”

“I guess you’re right..” Bò said.

“Shall we get you back into bed now?” Emily asked.

“Okay..”

Bò looked like a baby being lifted in Emily’s arms. He was gently laid down on the bed again.

“Just hang tight, we’ll be back for you in no-time,” Emily said.

1