CHAPTER 21
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Our boat was stranded on the southernmost beach. Could’ve missed the entire island if we came at a different angle. Grimmington had said the manor was located up north, so we wandered up the island, pushing through rows upon rows of banana plants. Seemed to be the only vegetation present, because the ground had been trampled into nothing more than mud. My eyes were of no use, we hadn’t brought lamps with us, so we had to navigate using touch. The stars had disappeared, and the moon struggled to glow through the thickening clouds overhead.

I dragged my feet along the ground. My right foot got lodged under something, making me stumble.

“I no sleping!” the thing I had just tripped over said, “just pikking di lo’ hangin’ bananas.”

Two ping pong-like balls raised almost two meters from the ground. I could not see a body in the dark, only the white orbs; eyes. Out of habit, I pointed the VRC towards his chest.

“We don’t care about your bananas,” I said, “if you’re going to be a problem, I’ll end your life right now.”

“That’s a bit aggressive,” Mike told me.

“I won’ bee of problam!” white teeth formed below the eyes of the thing I had tripped on.

“Do you know Joe Barth?” I asked.

“Ye hee di wan I werk fo. Evree dey ah pikk dem bananas fo’ food.”

“Can you show us where he lives?”

“Whay is dat? Yoo sim lak bad peepol, pointin’ gan at mee.”

“It’s just a precaution, better safe than sorry.”

“Look, we have reason to believe Joe has at least one little girl locked up in his manor. Do you really want to be protecting a man like him?” Mike said.

“Wat proof do yo hav? Mista Batt rans ah banana bisnass.”

“Sales records from Haraldstown. He bought a girl matching the description of Leah’s sister. We’re trying to get her back.”

The teeth faded, and the white eyes shifted between Mike and me.

“A’ yo serius..?” the thing I had tripped on wondered.

“I’m afraid so..” Emily assured him.

“Oke.. If dis de ceese, com wit’ me, I sho yo. Ma neme is Abo.”

“Thank you, Abo, you’re doing the right thing,” Emily said.

I lowered the VRC from his chest, glad I didn’t have to kill again. Abo navigated through the fields of bananas. The ground slanted upwards until we reached the top of a hill. I could see lights from a town the size of Yellowport on the east side of the island.

“Dat dere is Banana Town, wher’ ma famuly livs,” Abo explained.

What a creative name for a settlement. Abo made me wonder how many families I had torn apart with my killing. I couldn’t change a thing, but it would soon come to an end. After Joe, I’d put the VRC, Schofield, and Kodachi back on display in Grimmington’s armory; a memory of our adventure.

Abo led us down the other side of the hill, the clouds grumbled. I felt a cold, wet spot on my hand, then another one, and another one.

“Looks like Leah was right after all,” Emily told Mike.

We came out of the banana plantation, and followed deep carriage tracks along a gravel road. A big black-barred gate overgrown with vines kept us from going any further. Lightning struck the four story tower of the manor on the other side. The flash was bright enough to light us up, only Abo stayed dark.

“Dis is di pleece,” Abo said, “yo can’t go fudda.”

I walked up to the gate, and stuck my head in between two of the gate bars. It fit.

“Leah, no.” Mike said.

I pushed the rest of my body through. Tight, but worked.

“Okay, this is too dangerous, Leah,” Emily tried to convince me, “the rest of us can’t get through there.”

The rain was pouring down hard. Another flash, this time on the hill where we stood only minutes ago.

“This is the only way,” I said, “thank you for getting me this far, but Maria is my sister, I can do this.”

“You need someone to have your back in there!” Mike pleaded.

“Stay watch out here, that is all I ask of you. I’ll be quick, don’t worry about me.”

“Yo don bee a littul crezy, I laik it,” Abo said, “good lukk littul gurl.”

I took a few steps towards the manor.

“I love you!” Mike shouted.

I stopped. I think I do too.

Looked over my shoulder and said: “This is gonna be awkward when I make it back alive,” then carried on walking.

1