1-The Game
883 8 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Duncan wasn't like other kids. He knew this, the other kids knew this, his teacher knew this and so did his parents. They didn't tell him off or anything, in fact they were proud to be his parents. Ace, Genius, Prodigy. These were a few of several names he would be called as knowledge simply poured into him due to his vast curiosity. 

He would spend hours upon hours with books. He would spend days trying to figure out a new hardware as he took it apart one screw at a time.  He was fascinated by the unknown and in his drive to understand he pushed himself to know more.

In this quest to find out how the world work he started to understand that the world was a boring place. 

At times Duncan would ask questions to which the teacher would fail to answer as they simply did not know. 

People who would cling to him simply because they wanted his answers, and then drift away because they couldn't follow his conversation. Hobbies that became repetitive as he figured out the most optimal way to accomplish it. Dates that failed to make his heart skip a beat. It was all mundane. 

Everything eventually sunk into monotony.  Waking up early in the morning Duncan looked to his clock which read 5:15, a solid hour before he needed to leave the house. "Just another day" Duncan sighed. 

Pulling himself out of bed he briskly took out the outfit he had prepared the day prior and gave himself a quick wash to wake up his body as he showered the night before.  A simple brush of his teeth and the appropriate touches to his face and hair had made Duncan ready for the day.  Duncan took out his phone simply to check the usual sites, all bearing the usual news of new laws or some new controversy that outraged the internet, when he decided to skim the app store. 

The app store wasn't a place that Duncan usually found himself but for some reason he felt that today of all days he should give it a quick look.

The top pages spouted the usual popular games or new and upcoming games which were just reskins of older popular games to which Duncan ignored, simply opting to delve into the depths. 

Time passed as Duncan skimmed over the results of his latest search when a peculiar app caught his eye.

It showed a cave-like structure with a singular runic eye that shown a bright red in contrast to the dark brown and black background. 

"Micro-Management: Survival Bases" Duncan read aloud. Such a simple name for such an ominous app. 

A simple click and the summary revealed itself on the screen of his phone. 

Micro-Management: Survival Bases is a game bestowed upon those who seek a meaning to life. Is the world hard to live in? Is it to unnatural? To mysterious? Is it boring? Then spend your time away managing a "Den" filled with a variety of survivors from the lowest of insects to the almighty mechs controlled by futuristic AI. Manage these survivors through thick and thin as many events and disasters befall your survivors. 

Features:
-Experience apocalypses ranging from the classic zombie survival to the death of your sun. 
-Multiple survivors of various varieties
-Acquire upgrades through a variety of ways such as upgrading equipment, genetically enhancing or even ascension.
-Invade or Support the world of others from friends or enemies. 
-Reward your survivors by decking out their home with the base management tab. 

Warning: The lives of your inhabitants are the lives of real people. This is a one-time offer and if you so choose to download this game you are subjected to the terms and services. There will be no turning back and this is your last warning!

Terms: Your inhabitants have lives of your own, they will make decisions of their own and they can choose to disobey your orders. They can also choose to leave your base if they so desire. In the events of a wipe (No remaining survivors) You will be forced into partaking in another player's Micro-Management: Survival Base Game.

Deletion of the App, Death, or Passing the game off to another will count of a Wipe and follows the punishment as mentioned above. 
Completion of the game is when you have solved the apocalypse in your world and return society to normal. 

Good Luck Managing your Den - Devs "Article B" and "Sunshine Smirking" 

Duncan scoffed at the terms and warning. People's lives are on the line? 

Duncan read through their terms and conditions and saw no clause that would allow them to kidnap you, nor did they have a clause in which they would have access to your body.  As if the law would allow them to take his body. What would the game even do? Suck his body into the game?

Duncan downloaded the game and he headed for breakfast. 

At the table sat his father, a newspaper in hand and the television in the lounge spouting the recent arrest of a school shooter.  In the kitchen was his mother stood cooking for them as the an alarm blared for a third time that morning, this time  a thud was heard and scuffling came from upstairs. 

"Morning mother, father." Duncan greeted to which both looked toward their son. His mother gave a huge grin as she scooped the pancakes from her skillet onto a plate. "Morning sweetie, as always you're ready for school, and on time too." his mother glanced upstairs as a haggard teenager stumbled down. 

"Bright and fresh as always son, have you heard, another school shooting. 3rd one these past two months..." his father sighed. "Can't they do anything to restrict these wackos." 

"Congress has been pushing forward a restriction bill, yet the Conservatives are up in arms about it. Not many people want to ban guns outright as their arguments are for free use in sanctioned hunting events as well as self-defense." Duncan said.

"I get that if some murderer came at you with his dual Ak-47s then you'd want to respond in self-defense, but are you really going to carry around a machine gun in the off-chance someone points a gun at you?" His father argued. 

"Enough dear, food is about to hit the table and I don't want to talk about how some dude get blown to bits." Duncan's mother swooped into the conversation, ending it with the plates she placed down in front of them. 

She turned to place down two more plates, one for herself and the last for the girl with disheveled hair braided in some outlandish braid. 

"Julie dear." His mother shook, earning her a grunt from his sister. "You should learn to wake up earlier, your brother is always on time and always ready around this time." 

Julie muttered something uncomprehensible before she took her knife and fork and started to eat.

"Let her be, college will iron her out; if high school doesn't get to her first" their father chuckles and he is silenced by his wife's glare. 

"Thanks for the meal babe" The father said simply and after shoveling what he could he swiftly evacuated the room with the sound of a car starting to signal where he was. 

"Honestly..." His mother spoke, exasperated by the behavior of both her husband and her daughter. "At least I can count on your Duncan."

"I won't let you down mother." Duncan replied in kind and he quickly finished up his own plate of pancakes before walking out, leaving his sister to grovel over her pancakes as Mother supervised her. 

Duncan got into the car and pulled out his phone to find that the game had finished downloading. He pressed lightly on the app and it opened to black before a screen popped up.

Welcome! To Micro-Management: Survival Base

Welcome Den Master (That is you), to our game. Do you wish to play the tutorial?"

 

                                    [Yes]                                                [No] 

 

Duncan swiftly selected Yes before the screen disappeared and a new one took its place.

 

Welcome to Micro-Management: Survival Base, a game where you take control of the lives of various people in the face of the apocalypse. You are the Den Master, a role similar to an overseer in the Fallout games series made by Bethesda, a role that has you looking after the survivor's homes which we call Dens. These Dens can range from a simple hole in the ground to overarching space ships.  You will be provided a random Den upon the completion of this tutorial. 

In these Dens are your inhabitants or Survivors who are currently living through the middle of said apocalypses.  Each user receives a unique Apocalypse so that no two runs are ever the same.  You can manage multiple Dens but if your Survivor count ever reaches 0 then it will be classified as a Wipe and it will be game over for you. 

For starters this is a simple [Forest Village Den]

In front of Duncan the screen changed into that of a village, multiple people were wandering around it gathering crops and some stood on palisades acting as sentries. 

There are three modes that you must be aware of. 

 

The first mode is Management mode. Management mode allows for you to provide for your Survivors, reward them for their bravery by upgrading their home or the Survivor respectively. You use this mode to check on the needs of your Den, to improve and make decisions on where to take your Survivors. 

Click on one of the sentries to find out what his needs are, his traits and more.

 

Duncan followed the actions and a new box showed up.

Name: Sentry A Level: 3 (24%) Class: Sentry

Stats:

Age: 15
HP: 150 (-30)
MP: 30
SP: 140  
Str: 25  
Char: 10 
Int: 9
Wis: 8
Dex: 16  
Con: 17 (+)

 

History:
Sentry A was created for this tutorial, think nothing of him.

Traits:
[Alert]
[Long Sight]
[Weak Heart] [Paranoid] 

  Wish:
To get off of Duty

Status:
Alert

[Order]

[Enhance]

[Skills/Bonuses]

Duncan nodded his head and continued to read. 

This is the Information Tab. This tab allows you to see the status, stats, Their history in regards to the colony, the class, name, level, and wish/thought of the current selected unit.  Each unit comes with four traits, inherited from the parents, each beginner unit will have two positive and two negative traits.  As you can see from the HP stat it has in parenthesis (-30) 

To explain that, I will bring to your attention the three most important commands at the bottom. 

[Order] allows you to have the unit complete a task you wish for them to complete. A shortcut for this would be to tap and drag to the job you want to complete or foe you wish for them to fight. 

[Enhance] allows for you to upgrade your unit. You can evolve your unit, you can mutate them, you can give them classes or merge DNA.  Just be aware some enhancements are incompatible with each other and can result in the death of the Survivor. 

[Skills/Bonuses] Gives you more information on what skills they have, if they are active or passive skills and any bonuses the unit has currently from either traits or general states of being. 

In order for you to enhance your survivors you must use your Den Points (DP),

DP can be acquired through a variety of ways, mainly by hunting, gathering, surviving, or completing trials and objectives.  You can use these points on individual people or on the Den itself. You can also use them on the Overworld.

A new tab popped up showing a world 

This is the World Tab. The world tab showcases areas that you've been before. It also allows you to keep track of resource deposits, Dens, and other locations with handy flags that you can place.  It also comes with a History tab and Resource tab so you can know the history of the land you are in as well as the resources that can be harvested there. Of course you have to find or make records of the history and acquire the natural resources located there.

Next up we have the Sandbox Mode.  Sandbox mode is a freeform place where you can make copies of your survivors and Dens and experiment. This feature is only unlocked when you buy the [Replica Planet] from the Den Shop. 

The Den Shop is a place you can go to acquire blueprints, resources, survivors, and more granted that you have the DP to buy them. The shop has a variety of items to buy as well as, for those who like to gamble, a Gacha as well as weekly and monthly promotional items. 

That concludes our tutorial. You will be given 20 survivors to start you off, As a bonus for completing the tutorial you have been granted the rights to one free Gacha as well as your choice of one of these three options.

1. In addition to the 1000 starting DP, you will obtain an additional 1000 DP and the DP modifier will be 1.5x

2. You can tame up to two creatures that roam your world. Any maintenance cost will be free and provided for the tamed creature only. These creatures will also be granted two free [Enhances] each. 

3. You are allowed to choose the starting location of your Den. In addition to choosing the location of your Den, the facilities will be a grade higher than a normal starting base and will have a free AI. However, the apocalypse you will experience will be worse than normal. 

Duncan read his options and he pondered. At this moment his sister Julie entered the car and sat down, also pulling her phone out. 

"What are you smiling at?" Julie asked her brother and he kept his smile as he looked at her.

"Something interesting... I can't wait to see where this takes me." Duncan replied. He eyed his phone as he juggled the three options.

"Whatever, I don't need you going on your psycho rants this early in the morning."  Julie shrugged and the two stared at their phones on the way to school. 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm ashamed to say that I've been on hiatus.... not on this site mind you I only signed up like two weeks ago but for other sites... If you are here from RoyalRoadl then good on you, welcome back to this story. Its been a good two years but I'd thought to bring it back since I had so much fun writing this story. If you followed any of my other works then you'll be pleasantly surprised that I am bringing back another one of my works.  I wanted to see what I could do with a refreshed mind, and well... two years of college really improves people I guess? Don't destroy me since I'm no English Major. 

As usual my schedule fluctuates pretty rapidly so don't expect regular updates... maybe a bi-weekly update (1 per 2 weeks) or a week between each chapters (no promises) 

I left a foreshadow for you guys. If you can find the hint please PM me it and I'll give you a shoutout in the release chapter... anyway
Like the first chapter I had posted, I give you three choices (maybe like the only choices but still) Which bonus should Duncan go for? 1,2,3?

  • Author Sederance
11