2- Den and the Apocalypse
808 7 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Duncan looked over his options and evaluated them.

The first option would net him a steady supply of points, however what the option didn't mention was the drawbacks. It is possible that by choosing this option the ways that he could obtain points would be reduced in some capacity such as the requirement for obtaining points or the availability of said points. Another way that they could limit him is by giving him lower-grade survivors or Den so that he would have to use more points to fix them up for the long-run. 

Moving along he eyed the second option, the one where he could tame two beasts.

The second option said that I could tame any two creatures. Any two creatures could make for an aggressive offense, utility, or defense for the Den. However, what classified as a creature however? Would AI be accounted for in this term? How about inorganic constructs? Would other humans fall into this category? What could he and what could he not control? In addition he would only get the benefits from the creature he had tamed. What about the offspring? What if they were naturally hostile to those around them... he could put his colony at great risk.  In addition to that, he would have to find a way to house the offspring as well as feed them. The costs would be covered for the beasts he controlled so how would he know what to feed or care for them?

As for the final option. Duncan brought his head together to think about the merits and downsides.

The final option allowed for me to choose a starting location with adequate functions as well as an AI to help run the base. I could choose a functional location abundant with resources with a defensible location, but what would the AI's function be? Would it operate an assembly line? Would it man the defenses or boost research? Even if I chose a location favorable for me, would the apocalypse still make it favorable? I do not know when or how the apocalypse would affect the location I had chosen. It make be a good location to begin with, but when the apocalypse hits would it still be good? And the apocalypse would be a grade higher.  Apocalypses are considered world-altering events. The events would destroy everything to a greater degree. 

Duncan looked at each of the options.

The two tamed beasts seemed two conditional to use effectively, and then the huge point dump that he would have to spend for the children. He didn't know what points he needed to take care of them so he left this late

The first option that would deal with points seems to be made for beginners, it seemed to be made to hold your hand. Duncan wanted a challenge, therefore he had ruled this option out. 

Duncan considered life boring,  There was nothing exciting happening. Therefore Duncan knew the choice he wanted.

"Option 3" 

You have chosen Option 3, you are allowed to choose the starting location of our Den. In addition to choosing the location of your Den, the facilities will be a grade higher than a normal starting base and will have a free AI. However, the apocalypse you will experience will be worse than normal.

 

Are you sure you want this choice?

    [Yes]                               [No] 

"Yes" Duncan confirmed with a tap of his fingers.

Very well. Generating your world. 

The world is known as the Hunting Grounds, as your overlords have called it. 

The world has a variety of environments to survive in. 

Before Duncan, the screen flew outwards to show a large circular map of the world. 

A variety of landscapes flowed across the map, from Icebergs to Grasslands. 

Duncan's eyes flew across the map searching for an ideal location to set up his Den. 

He ruled out the ice biome. He also ruled out the desert biome.  If the world was called Hunting Grounds as the overlords had called it, then he should probably have a Den that was either well hidden or mobile. 

Duncan noticed the large ships floating in the air. There was potential that he could put his base on the ship and organize a takeover... but would he have the personnel and resources to do it before he was wiped out. 

Duncan finally settled for creating an underground bunker located by some mountains, forests, rivers and fertile grasslands.

Creation of Den confirmed. Your bunker comes with a large storage room, a research lab, an engineering bay alongside a hangar crossed with a garage (empty). In addition you have a barracks, cafetorium and generator room. You also have five spare rooms (1 large, 2 medium, 2 small) for you to make use of. 

The Free AI that has been given to you is AI Edmond, Specialization: Radar.  

As for the survivors of your Den they are 

Ken Akimoto- Human Male: [Smart][Klutz][Resilient][Weak]

Nora MacLouden- Human Female: [Hyper][Optimistic][Obsessed][Reckless]

Astrid MacLouden- Human Female: [Aggressive][Warrior][Leader][Kind-hearted]

Anders Roanis- Human Male: [Strong][Analytical][Low-Stamina][Tyrant]

Yukari Hanashita- Human Female: [Loner][Accurate][Quick][Adamant]

Rorik Dendem- Human Male: [Creative][Eccentric][Strong][Susceptible to Illness]

Riktor Quita- Human Male: [Calm][Strong-Willed][Sadist][Low-Stamina]

Seth Young- Human Male: [Sexist][Enhanced Body][Nimble Fingers][Narcoleptic]

Garrick Brown- Human Male: [Careful][Animal-friend][Coward][Weak]

Charlotte Longbottom- Human Male: [Intuitive][Masochist][Uncaring][Genius]

Osvall Moores- Minotaur Male: [Berserk][Iron-Muscle][Simple][Hearty]

Waila Fero- Minotaur Female: [Warmonger][Leader][High-Stamina][Narcissist]

Mute Isaibel- Harpy Female: [Silent][Intelligent][Weak][Coward]

Nast Stone- Lizardman Female: [Sturdy][Powerful][Ignorant][Adamant]

Eremus- Fire Spirit : [Voracious][Charismatic][Aggressive][Complete Control: Fire]

June- Maine Coon Male: [Silent][Alert][Lazy][Voracious]

Whiskers- Maine Coon Female: [Nimble][Quick][Lazy][Aggressive]

Ustasimas- Minor Dragon Male: [Naïve][Playful][Magic-Oriented][ADHD]

AI: Laura, Specialization: Robotics: Accessibility (2%, Needs a better facility)
AI: Tyrian, Specialization: Hunting: Accessibility (0%, No suitable facility)

Duncan whistled as a ton of information swept across the screen. Luckily there was a scroll bar for him to move it back and forth for him to look at.

The distribution of traits seemed to follow with two positive and two negative traits with some variations. Duncan looked over the survivors, half of them human and yet many of them were also some sort of fantasy species or animal from earth. But to think he'd even get a fire spirit and a dragon? 

Duncan zoomed to the dragon only to see it was the size of a corgi at best much to his disappointment. 

He moved Mute, Ken, Charlotte, and Anders into the Research Lab,  Rorik into the Cafetorium so that he could prepare food. 

Riktor, and Seth were placed to learn how to upkeep and repair the place, Duncan had placed them to learn about the technology in the engineering room, generator room, hangar and garage. 

Garrick was tasked to look after the two Maine Coons and the Dragon. 

As for the rest of the survivors, Duncan saw most off them were combat oriented so he gathered them together in the Large spare room and had them train hand to hand combat against each other with orders not to harm. 

"Time to see how much the upgrades cost!" Duncan said and he moved over to the shop menu.

Den Upgrade Window:

Reinforced Armor: 1000 Points
Electric Current: 4000 Points
Land Expansion: 5000 points ( 1 acre of land)
Fertile soil: 2000 Points
Crops: 1 per seed
Livestock: 100 per pair.
Improve walls: 3000 Points
Upgrade room (varies from 10-10 Million)
Specialty Room addition: Varies from 10-10 million
Gene Mods: Higher tier mods go for more points.
Specialty Personal: Price based on previous knowledge.
....... Previous Page (1) of (100)......  Next Page........

Duncan was taken back by how expensive some of the options are. To expand the base he had to have 5000 points? 

10 million to get the highest tier specialty room?  

100 pages of upgrade he could go through?

Duncan remembered his free gacha and took a look at the variety of gachas that were available to him.

Survivor Gacha Resource Gacha Upgrade Gacha Specialty Gacha: Elementals

Duncan looked at the four options before him... he didn't need any more survivors currently, and the specialty gacha featured elementals... he had a fire elemental currently but there was a chance he would get another fire elemental. 

Duncan thought about the resource and upgrade gachas. 

They could get him a resource or an upgrade he could use... but what if he couldn't use the resource or the upgrade?

"I'll save it for when my Survivors are more specialized or for an emergency." 

Duncan had 1000 points he could spend so for now he spent a couple of points on crops for the long term as well as converted the large room into a basic training facility and gym as well as a medium room into an indoor greenhouse. 

Duncan also gave the researchers some samples, alongside science books and the engineers some basic engineering books as well. The grand total he had left was around 237 points.

"Alright kids, have a nice day of school!" Duncan's father spoke as the car came to a stop. 

Duncan looked up from his phone and nodded. "Have a nice day father!" He waved goodbye before hopping out of the car. Not a second later, Julie came barreling out of the car as she started to dash toward the school. 

"Another day..." Duncan sighed taking his first step toward the school. 

_________________________________________________________________-

Wahooo! Another chapter surprisingly.... well you can say that work was slow.... like super slow so I was able to do some advance details which made this chapter so much easier to write.

Of course normally I just have rough outlines so deciding what I want for the meat and butter of the story takes quite a while... and many drafts... and well. I'll leave it at that. 

Enjoy the chapter and tell me how I can improve? Or who your favorite character is I guess? Or theories... You know what... put anything you want in the comment section... I'll see it you know. 

-Author Sederance

15