Chapter 6: Unimpressed
43 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone locked their eyes on Laurence's small figure. An eerie silence filled the atmosphere until a laugh broke the taciturnity. It was coming from Cassandra.

"Her!? Haha, she can't even properly read and write. Much less, she doesn't even have the capacity to become an adventurer based on Brauwne's intuition." Cassandra said in a mocking tone. Every adventurer knows that Brauwne has the power to test one's capability. Chattering began to fill the area as doubts arise.

"That's right, Master! She doesn't even know the basics of magic!" The man from the Great Eight exclaimed.

"Interesting... That's why I'm entrusting you to teach her. I have taught you many things, and now it's time for you to pass on the knowledge to others. Arnold Fabian, it's an order from your Master. Please teach her the ways of swords and magic crafts and of sage arts." The Great Sage spoke earnestly.

"But Master... Why must I be the chosen teacher? I haven't mastered most of the sage arts. I'm nothing compared to Falc, who had managed to master most of your teachings!" Arnold reasoned with His Master.

"Believe in yourself. You're more empathetic to your surroundings. You understand your allies or enemies far better than the Seven. That is why I chose you." The Great Sage gave Arnold a solemn look before looking at Laurence. Walking towards her, the crowd stepped aside to give the Great Sage a path. Only one person didn't budge. Cassandra shot out a cold glare and directed it to the fool. The Great Sage paid no heed and continues to walk, eventually passing by the person. The gap provided by the crowd is spacious enough that five people can pass through. If it wasn't, who knows what could've happened.

"Young lady, would you like to go on an adventure?" The Great Sage asked.

"Ugh... I guess...So?" She doesn't particularly know what to say. Her mind is caught up with the recent turns of events that she can't even focus her mind. Laurence just stood in her place and stared blankly at the Great Sage. The person that stood in the middle began walking towards the two of them.

"Your Excellency, can you guarantee that she'll come back home alive?" The anonymous person said.

"There's a possibility that she won't, but I'm confident she will. After all, my prophetic visions never betray the future." The Great Sage said as he turned his face towards the person.

"Greg?" Being blocked by the Great Sage's figure, she tilted herself to peek at the person. Finding out that it was her brother, she immediately thought about the trouble she would get into.

"Then I can't let you take her if you can't even promise that she'll return. Please excuse my rude behavior." Greg said, neglecting the Great Sage.

"Believe in her. Not only will she stop the Evil Sorcerer, but she will also bring peace over the lands." The Great Sage walked towards Greg and patted his shoulder. Tenderness lingered in his wise voice. Well, Greg knew that doubting the Great Sage is stupid. He knew that His words were valid, that Laurence has a high chance of becoming a hero. Yet, he didn't understand why he hated the idea. The truth is, Greg has complicated feelings for Laurence. He didn't want her to leave for a long time, albeit he wanted her to become what she wanted to be the most. Greg tried to make more excuses, but none of it came out of his mouth. He just stood still, his mouth quivering from trying to say something. After calming down, the Great Sage removed His palm from Greg's shoulder and walked towards Laurence.

"I'm sorry, milady. I know it's sudden, but you must come with me to the Imperial Palace of the North. We have something cardinal to discuss. I will come to visit your house tomorrow before we depart for our journey. Right now, I have important matters to take care of. Go back to your home and give this to your father." The Great Sage said to Laurence as He handed her a neat piece of parchment. Laurence replied by nodding. Excusing herself, she walked towards Greg and tugged his sleeve, gesturing him to come home with her. Ignoring their gaze, they walked past the crowd while keeping a straightforward gaze on the road. They were silent with each other. Neither of them has decided to start a conversation. There was an awkward ambience between the two.

The surrounding is beginning to get dark. The road is illuminated by glowstone lanterns, and people are nowhere to be found except for some. It was peaceful, but it just increased the awkwardness. Greg was in a state of discomfiture upon pondering why he had to make such reckless decisions when it was about matters that came from the Great Sage.

"So, how was your day?" Laurence finally decided to take the initiative to break the silence.

'Oh-um, today was a dull day. It's just another boring meeting. I thought it would be more fascinating if the Great Sage was there. I was so wrong." Greg chuckled as he said this.

"Really? I think it's fantastic." Laurence said.

"How come?" Her brother replied.

"I mean, you got the opportunity to witness someone as great as the Great Sage. You told me how he rarely shows Himself to the public. It was good that He came here, but it's incredible that He chose me as the hero." Laurence said. Enthusiasm would be best to describe her tone and appearance.

"Ugh-yes! I mean, it's great that you can be the hero that you wanted to be... but do you really want to go somewhere as far as the Northern Imperial Palace?" Greg asked Laurence.

"I don't know, but He said it's essential." Laurence also has mixed feelings about leaving her home. After all, she wasn't ready to depart from her homeland. Laurence had never really gone far out from Gleedenfield province. Going for a long journey while not even going far out of the comfort zone, of course, it was natural for someone to be nervous.

Opening the gate and going inside, the two were greeted by Dad. He looked at Laurence, totally unimpressed.

"Dad. Here's a message from the-!" As she walked closer to Dad, she received a slap on her face. She looked at Dad, confused why he had slapped her.

"Do you have anything to say for yourself?" Dad's words and glare are cold. Looking at the way Dad reacted, Laurence couldn't help but be on the verge of crying. 

3