Arc 1 Chapter 9: Harlequin Inn
160 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There there. Even though I used a perfect excuse to cover my tracks, why do I feel he's misunderstanding something? I just met him, so it's not that shocking that he probably has some conclusions about me that are wrong.

_♦__________________________________________________♦_

I posted my job listing earlier today, so I should be able to find a job in short order. I ended up coming up with a name to satisfy the man in the office, but it was startlingly similar to Earth's name affidavit system. I'll have to register for Identification using this name soon.

The name I chose? Only the coolest one: Sword. Hahaha, I can feel my 8th grader syndrome overflowing!! I'm practically a celebrity to the city's bureau by now.

Once I arrived at the city square, I took another look at the map given to me by the helpful patrol investigator lady. Apparently she circled a location I could go to rest for the night and pay later. Not only that, but a week's stay only costs 5 Stardust bills.

1 Stardust bill is equivalent to 100 Stardust coins.

1 Stardust coin is equivalent to roughly $0.55 from earth. How do I know this? I measured it's conversion to bread price and found $2.75 loaf of bread equivalent to 5 Stardust coins, roughly $2.75. It's also convenient when stating that 5 Stardust bills is equivalent to $275, the rough equivalent to New York city's average weekly hotel price. Not a bad price for a hotel.

Not only that, but it's said I can accumulate up to 3 week's hotel "rent" and pay it all after 3 weeks. I could use lobby and sleep there free as well. Is that place a homeless shelter?

I went there, and slept. Slept I did. I took one of the tiny booths and slept there, telling the receptionist I would be staying in a normal room in roughly 5 days, if I can find a job by then.

When I realised that I was an idiot, I quickly abandoned the idea of getting a job.

"Sorry, I will be taking my listing down today."

"Excuse me, Sir Sword. How come?"

"I have decided to try becoming an Adventurer."

"Wise Choice. I was surprised to hear you say you wanted to work a normal life like a retired person. With a Strength boosting passive Fabrication, you should be able to climb to Class B quite quickly. It's the kind of fabrication I would call nothing less than a talent."

"The only reason I didn't inquire further about it is because I had assumed you lied about your Fabrication, giving me such a specific statistic about it. I'm happy to see you pursue your dreams!"

That last line horrified me. He figured me out? What is this guy, an investigator?

Either way...

"I will be taking my leave now. Thank you for your service."

"You as well, Sir Sword." Pfft.

_♦__________________________________________________♦_

Not only can I create an ability to spawn money, I can also create an ability to increase my strength by fifty percent. I tested the first ability earlier, but I am not creating the second ability on the off chance I can make a more powerful variant later.

That's right. I can spawn money. Incredibly easily. For about a week, I'll be able to use this funding to purchase a stay at a hotel, but if I stay longer than that, my money would become the object of suspicion. I'll become an Adventurer to make up the deficit in trust.

Once I returned to the Harlequin Inn, the receptionist greeted me again with a smile.

"Have you found a line of work?"

"Actually, I have found a budget source that I can use. My orphanage has a support program for me to start out my line of work, which will be Adventuring."

Complete set of lies. I only know about such a program because I heard it in passing. If pressed, I could say it was from a different city. Not many people have emigrated and immigrated cities.

I wonder how good this world's intelligence network is...?

As I wonder it again, I arrive to my room to find a fine refurbished room with one bed. I paid 5 Stardust for a week's worth of stay, then laid on my bed.

"Pretty comfortable. Seems this world has a material for bedding as well that is not sheep's wool. I wonder what the glass is made of? If a city like this has a high crime rate, it's likely there exists a cheap tempered glass solution for gun crime. Listen at me, sounding like a black company businessman."

_♦__________________________________________________♦_

On day 3 of being in Harlequin city, I noticed something.

Something so devastating that it shocked me to my very core.

Something so disastrous that it might impede my ability to gain a reputation.

Apparently, there's been a rumor going around that a walking green haired statue is going to become an adventurer.

Ok, there's so much to unpack there.

Statue?! How do they know I want to be an adventurer?! What does being an Adventurer have anything to do with being a statue?!

Has my exploits been public knowledge the whole time?!

Right, I should probably mention how I have come across such information. Standing in front of me is a 6'5 armored maniac holding a sword in the middle of the city in broad daylight.

"Is it you?! The Green Haired Bad Omen to Harlequin city who caused the swirling mist on Death Plateau?!"

It doesn't matter if this maniac is deranged or telling the truth, it's clear to me that my every exploit being public knowledge is why some people were staring at me in the very beginning.

This is bad. Their information network is good. Thank god my excuses were consistent, but this doesn't solve...

5