Arc 1 Chapter 11: Fair Logic
176 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'm really confused. When and where did my identity get exposed? Did the intelligence network of this city purposefully leak the information to the civilians? Would that not induce panic if they did that so openly?! What are they thinking?!

While walking to the Adventurer's Industry, I was contemplating the result of the battle. Obviously, Grant was a far inferior fighter than what I was hoping for, gathering that he was an Adventurer. I'd like to be able to cope with holding back but it is unfortunately impossible at this time.

The pitiable man who acts like he never has walked out of his house before was able to register as an unskilled Adventurer, which means that reputation is reserved for people with no skill who want to play hero. A sad day for Adventurers everywhere, people with a lesser reputation are probably spited by the general population as well. I noticed the cold glares directed to me as well as Grant.

By the time the fight was over the number of witnesses have dropped drastically. Are they perhaps more used to fights between Adventurers with a superior reputation?

But, Grant did intend to kill me, no doubt about it. There was some relief on my side that I didn't feel the same way. People seem uninterested in the duel because I used weak spells on purpose. Since then, my MP has already increased far passed the amount I consumed and my health had remained untouched.

Well, in the end the speech at the end was nothing more than some empty lip service to hopefully maintain my cover if there is any cover left to speak of. If Grant is any indication then the identity I've been carefully hiding has been exposed only to a minimum degree. However, if I were to perform more meritorious acts, information would spread like wild fire and my suspicion would disappear.

As I was approaching the Adventurer's Industry, I noticed less people glaring at me.

While walking into the building (which is notably normal in a city such as this), a male receptionist caught my attention.

"Hello there, Mr. Sword. How may I help you today?"

You know fairly well why I'm here. Otherwise, why else would you know my name?!

"I would like to register as an Adventurer, please."

"Do you have your identification with you?"

"I have the certificate from the bureau of the city. I got it while I moved in."

"Let me see." The receptionist took the papers and went to the back room.

Before the receptionist left, he advised me to take a seat as a certificate takes longer to authenticate than a regular identification card. That makes sense to me, an official certificate is harder to get after all. It would be stranger if the receptionist accepted it at face value if all of these suspicions were cast on me.

I decided to shuffle over to a table with less people sitting in it, one which can seat approximately 20 people. The table became dead silent awfully quickly. People began whispering gossip about me as well as starting up new rumors. Rumors started in this building are supposedly less harmful as they don't spread as far. Even though there's more people in this building than most crowded streets, the Adventurers and employees have an unwritten agreement to not subject other registrants to that same treatment. That is good. I want to live here, please.

"Is this guy the statue? He looks pretty living to me." said one girl in the side, who was about 15 years old.

"Did you say pretty? Are you gonna hit on him?" said another girl who looked more... experienced.

"No way, I'd hate to be grouped with some unknown."

"Be quiet, he might hear you..."

My translation ability is making their voice in my head loud and clear. I don't need them to speak less loud, I'd rather them stop the rumor mill altogether. Just because they do not spread the rumor does not mean that they are entirely quiet.

"Does this man have fighting ability? We may find out in the test."

"What is in the test again? I forget."

"Who knows? Everybody who takes it's memories gets manipulated."

Wait, what?

"Yeah, I also heard..." Ah I see, those are simply empty rumors. I'd better not get caught up in a conspiratorial rabbit hole. After all, I wish to build good relations with the bureau.

After dawdling for roughly 15 minutes (Earth time), the receptionist came back out and informed me.

"The certificate has been authenticated. Thank you. Along with the certification form you handed to me, here is also an encrypted embedded chip showing personal information. The only people who can scan such a chip are high-level Industries and Inns. You've been successfully registered for the examination to determine your skill level. Please come back tomorrow as that is the time a tester will bring you to the dedicated testing facility for testing. Have a good day, Mr. Sword."

No charge?

Apparently, test taking is free in this world.

How fair.

...

Wait.

"Excuse me. Did you say "Skill level"? Is there no such concept of ranks?" I asked.

"Ranks? Do you mean monster ranks?" The receptionist said.

Grant was making up his own titles?!?! Who has the greater eighth grade syndrome here?! It's my loss, apparently. When I inquired further,

"In olden days, Adventurers used to be grouped like that but it was discontinued long ago when people of higher ranks grew conceited and perished immediately after ranking up."

That explains Grant to a T.

I must reflect upon my extrapolations. It seems skill data is privately collected and considered when receptionists accept or decline requests brought by Adventurers. Why did it work in other ways in games? This seems like the better option in any case.

_♦__________________________________________________♦_

Returning to the Harlequin Inn, I was ready for some good R&R. Time to see what these facilities can do!

Toilet. Check.

Bathroom with Toilet. Check check.

Shower? Unexpectedly check. This world really is advanced.

Creepy carpet? With this, how could you possibly go wrong? Check!!

Serendipitous check under the mattress due to my newfound paranoia which has developed into a full on prejudice of bed bugs? No bed bugs! Check! I'd rather have the paranoia when it's useful to stop infestations! Not only that, since I've not seen one yet, it probably just doesn't exist in this world.

I was told there is also internet. Infinite checks from me, I like the internet.

Now all I need is a computer. No checks here.

Is there a smartphone in this world? How about a laptop? This bares investigation.

I decide to head to sleep.

5