Arc 2 Chapter 24: Heroes (2)
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sword's Journal Entry: "Entropy"

You see, in the past two years of exploring this strange world, my drive was not simply to explore. I implored my minions not to stay in contact with me while I was doing such research.

 

I used my “Redescription” ability not hundreds, but thousands of times, simulating different ways of manipulating natural phenomena and what I have discovered is such that scientists in my “previous world” would go absolutely insane. Research on optical physics and thermodynamics reached such an extent that they expressed variables and constants according to laws of light, but there was a system far more comprehensive than that of light.

 

How does light move?

 

How can ocular lenses perceive such light?

 

What in the hell is this thing I have been generously classifying as “magic?”

 

Well, the answer was quite enlightening. Before getting to that, I must debunk the theory of the speed of light right now.

 

It was very obvious by the fact that I could see my status displayed on a window that the speed of light and laws of light are not always constant. Nobody else could see my status either, so it could be individually manipulated.

 

Manipulation? If manipulation of the laws of light were possible, that would immediately debunk the speed of light as a constant near three hundred million meters per second. It certainly is a convenient figure to measure the speed of optical science, but if the speed of light can change, what use is it?

 

Entropy. This is a theoretical variable invented in the field of thermodynamics to represent the state of change in excitation and kinetics for the state of an object. Put more simply, it is a representative of “time,” but it is not quite that simple.

 

Entropy is a much more expansive field than I thought. Entropy is an invisible force that manipulates all laws. Light, sound, chemistry, motion, everything depended on entropy in the surroundings. Even time is no exception. Time is what we observe as the advancing of change in our surroundings, including ourselves.

 

What if time can be stopped? Reversed?

 

What if light can be changed to only be visible in a certain range? Can the speed of light be increased or decreased?

 

What about chemistry itself? There is a theory going around that explosions of stars and interactions with extreme environments or radiation is what creates new elements, but that is only half true. Entropy had a hand in it.

 

The natural manipulation of entropy is a hard thing to explain, but it happens extremely slowly naturally.

 

Here is an explanation of my findings on entropy so far:

  • The speed of light is only a relative calculation based on the physics of the star system. Even in a different star system, each “sun” has a different rate at the transference of light.
  • Since it is varied, it obviously can be manipulated. We are still far away from the rudimentary manipulation of entropy, but there are a couple more important concepts first.
  • Entropy travels at a speed literally trillions of times the “speed of light.” I have not called it a constant because the “speed of entropy” can also be manipulated. More on that near the end of my report.
  • My first lead on what entropy actually was is when I tried simulating black holes using “Redescription.” Creation of black holes can be done naturally as a result of destabilization of the environment, but that is also only half true.
  • The reason black holes exist is because of my theory of “Entropy deprivation.” According to several simulations of excessive use of manipulating entropy which is everything and ever-expanding, excessive use of entropy causes the space it occupies, which is an embodiment of entropy, to rampage and literally suck the surrounding entropy towards itself. Recovering from a black hole state will cost millions of years at a minimum if left to its own devices. I have managed to conceptualize a blueprint for a device that is capable of reversing this process and stabilize a destabilized patch of space.
  • People always call magic anything that cannot be explained, but everything can be explained. Entropy is no exception to this rule. The only thing holding humanity back was the screeching halt of their technological evolution.
  • The simple fact is that it takes way more research than anticipated to create machines good enough to surpass even the speed of light, let alone trillions of times that. Superior rare earth metals would be consumed; a demand for technological innovation would be unceasing. Bottlenecks of resources would also be considered. Circuit boards, factories, pollution management, every step of the process needed superior materials to gold in conductivity and more durability, so alloying was inevitable. However, this degraded the performance of the natural element and bottlenecked the research.
  • Conservation of mass is also debunked in this case. I already assumed this was the case since my “Redescription” ability was creating special substances out of nothing, but mass is not always constant either. That is only a convenient way of expressing calculations.

After finishing a lot of my research which went on and on from there, I have concluded that this concept of “Entropy” was way beyond my realm of understanding for technology.

 

The important part is why I can use it at will. Well, the answer is quite simple if one has been paying attention at all: I am not human.

 

Entropy used as “magic” is something that flows in the environment naturally and is, for the convenience of argumentation, “ever-expanding.” Humans cannot manipulate this force very well since their evolution did not compensate for its manipulation. My species did, for some unknown reason. Since entropy is capable of travelling to a very far-off distance in seconds, I have concluded that there is some third-party involvement in the surrounding environment that makes the manipulation of entropy possible from a remote location.

 

I do believe Caal already knew about a lot of this information, because of a vital fact: The pillars.

 

On this planet, there exist three pillars. Analyzing the entropic signature on the one I found in the Realm of Light, the pillars’ express purpose is to stabilize the surrounding space so excessive use of entropy does not cause black holes. It passively fixes destabilizations and compensates for repairs on its own. Each pillar is heavily guarded by denizens of the Realm of Darkness except for one nation that considers the pillar located in their territory as something of a religious symbol.

 

Long story short, I, or a previous iteration of myself created various scrolls that change the human brain slightly so they can manipulate entropy in their surroundings to a certain extent. It is a painless procedure that activates, but only once foreign humans are brought from another world with zero involvement of the “third-party” force giving abilities to certain species.

 

Earth. That is what they called their location that they transported from. Oddly enough, my old world seemed to have mostly similar research and technological innovation, making the timing and location oddly coincidental.

 

One more thing, I am beginning to suspect that something with this planet is very wrong. I feel as though the tides of the future will differ greatly from different epochs that came before it.

 

Year VI0, South Fare Kingdom, Sword’s Perspective

Such an interesting bunch. It seems I did not choose the wrong candidates for the summoning. Once I examine them further, I found some of them have accelerated thought abilities, major offensive weapons as well as their own cliques. They do not appear to be very offended by their summoning either, just a bit confused.

 

Of course, I had to witness the change of Epoch that was triggered by the scrolls they picked up. I chose the South Fare Kingdom on purpose because I knew they would use them. After all, corruption only fails 100% of the time for the people involved in the system. Since I am but a third party, them having their own interests means nothing to me.

 

I was stationed at the top of the castle’s roof for observing purposes. Nobody could see me here as I was well blended into the ceiling’s shadow. Once the summoning was completed, the heroes were dragged outside by some soldiers for strength training and casting training. No matter how advanced this world is in technology, the population seems to have been denied proper “magic” research, so they do not know much about it.

 

For that purpose, these heroes were summoned to shed some light on the abilities you can attain.

 

For example, a really short guy has been summoned with the hero skill that lets him improve anything just by swinging it. That is an outrageous ability.

 

That is right. The abilities they get are completely determined based on their affinity and nature. The guy who swings to improve himself… Yeah. He looks like a dwarf. Dwarf is also his name. I would like to believe that is a coincidence.

 

I also witnessed a cute girl dressed in green. As expected, she gets the ability to command nature. Not calling forth some green tidal waves of magic or anything, no, she gets to literally command nature with an ability called “Command” and her little commanding banner stick.

 

Fluffy bunny army unite! Tiger recon unit, scout the dragon mountain! Owls… Intimidate the enemy with your creepy head turns and stern gazes!

 

That magnificently ended in a tangent, did it not? I also spotted somebody with a weird gun able to shoot rocks. Oh my! Is she also able to change the properties of those rocks using some freaky ability?! What a nostalgic view, seeing her try and figure out how to change things around. I remember when I first tried magically changing things… Sniff.

 

The next interesting subject is somebody who is flying. Unlike me, he is flying freely using his ability. That guy has an interesting orb in his hands that lets him bless anything the orb touches, one target maximum, with flight as well. Inanimate objects only get zero gravity.

 

I saw others with interesting abilities as well, but the flying guy’s name is what really caught my attention. Of course, I have been casually sifting through the analytical description and aside from a few people with strange abilities like chronos time reading abilities for a few seconds, the flying guy has a name which really caught me off guard. I did not summon anybody based on my preferences or anything.

 

His name was Cal.

“You surely enjoy spying. Mind letting me know what you are doing on the roof?” Said a voice calmly behind me.

 

… … Did my… Presence detection not go off?!

 

S***!! [Redescription: Time-Space Warp!!]

 

I barely escaped notice by the others.

 

Marsha’s Perspective

What a strange place. I saw many strange people lined up before the throne before we came outside for practice, but all I can say is everything has shattered my common sense.

 

I can see somebody flying, I can see Quentin making himself invisible by copying light passing through him and absorbing the rest, I can see a strange lady approaching squirrels with a stick with a banner on it…

 

It is all just so tiring…

 

“Quentin, what ability do you think Sue has?” I ask.

 

It is not without regard, she certainly has a weird ability. She has been popping up and vanishing random guns for a while now at weird speeds. However, she always sported a weirdly listless attitude, as if being able to see through everything.

 

Quentin turns back to me and adds, “I dunno. Nothing is forcing you to tell others your abilities, you only have to use them to a minimal degree here to train. I’d assume it has something to do with shooting weird projectiles though. I can see her guns shooting out odd things like boxing gloves and bowling balls.”

 

It appears Sue noticed our gaze at her and approached. “Hmph! That is merely my Hero Item! I would expect nothing less from a bunch of gossiping lovebirds!” Said Sue.

 

How should I say it? She is completely short. She looks like a little kid, saying such prideful things with every word. What is strange about this though is that she stays completely expressionless as she utters such things.

 

… Wait… Such things?!

 

Huh?! I am blushing quite a bit after that.

 

“W-w-what do you mean?! I thought your ability had to do with guns! And besides… I don’t l-like Quentin like that!!” Believe it!!

 

“Hm hmph! You have “liar” written all over your face, you know?! You can’t lie forever, you know?!

 

Anyways, my ability is to accelerate my thoughts! Kneel before me!!”

 

How can I put it, she is so cute. How could I possibly stay mad when a little girl listlessly explains what love is like a jealous girlfriend with a completely unchanging pose?!

 

She had to look up to me as she approached me… I can see her chin… I cannothelp it...

 

Pfft.

 

“Why are you snickering!!” She shouted. Even though she shouted, her face did not move at all...

She turns around and quickly stomps back to her training. She uses a gun passionately while expressing none of it. What a gap…

 

Sue went back to her friends, one of which was manipulating a block of iron he asked to be brought in and another was flying in the air while throwing a slime he was carrying at various things to make them float. That person came down from the air, put a paper and pen on a table and was asking Sue something.

 

Most I could not hear, but I heard “Hey Sue, can you…” then the guy quieted up a bit more once he realized what he was asking.

 

Then…

 

What the heck?! She is drawing so fast!! I see many perfect circles and lines being drawn with no ruler or protractor. Statistics were practically popping up left and right on the measurements and angles.

 

After a while, I see what looks like an airplane’s blueprint… If I keep my eyes off of them for even a few hours, what the heck will they do?!

 

The first guy was manipulating the iron he asked for into parts that appeared on the blueprint with equal precision and I was floored.

 

What the heck?! What can other people do?!

 

I turned to look left to see people silently looking at each other and changing iron to gold… Sue and the others seem equally impressed by these powers.

 

I mean, they are not even talking!! How are they orchestrating these things between them?! It looks like somebody is coordinating a telepathic signal or something, as they are still looking at each other at least.

 

Apparently the girl waving the stick around is called Shia. She can control little animals and command them… Absurd… Another short guy is with her, placing auras on the animals she tames and seemingly improving their physical abilities.

 

Many many more ridiculous powers later like barriers, transporting metals around, changing targets to imitate the shape of various other things… summoning flames and heating metals…

 

I cannot keep up. I cannot. Please somebody help me.

 

“Strange powers, huh?” asked Quentin.

 

“That’s true. I never expected to be on the receiving end of a shock this huge. I really hope we can work together well with other people.” I said.

 

A girl with a strangely Japanese appearance holding a book approached me at a brisk pace.

 

“You. What is your power?” She asked.

 

“What is your name?” I had to confirm it first.

 

“I ask the questions here. My prophecy is telling me both of your powers are the most absurd here. What are they?!” She practically shouted that.

 

“Since that book is a prophecy book there probably is no use in hiding it. I have the ability to read and manipulate people’s mind.” I said.

 

She quickly drew back and cringed at me.

 

“That’s creepy. Stay away from me.” Even though she said that, she only drew back and did not walk away.

 

 

 

She is still standing there without saying a word.

 

“You. What is yours?” She asked Quentin.

 

“It’s rude to demand things from people without introducing yourself first. My name is Quentin and her name is Marsha. Please give your first name at least.” Quentin replied.

 

“Sorry, but we are intimate enough for you to refer to me as my first name. You better not hit on me. My first name is Yui.” She replied calmly this time.

 

She proceeded to explain that in Japanese, calling people by their first name without honorifics is a more intimate way of referring to one another… Right after, she still said her first name without reserve. If that is true, why would she contradict herself and give it away?

 

“Call me Yui.” She said.

 

Uhm… excuse me? Why would we after she just explained that? An awkward air drifted around for a bit…

 

“Hey, what’s wrong? Call me Yui already.” Said Yui.

 

Is there anyone who is not crazy?! She is disgusted by my power, draws back, then stays here and insists we refer to her intimately… I think her personality is more jarring than her power…

 

Wait… Why is she speaking English?!

0