Chapter 3
1k 3 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Star People

Chapter 3

Gunboat Diplomacy

July 5th, 11 AE…

The port city of Grevel…

It was the day after the initial contact with the people of this world and the incident with the slave merchant. After interrogating him, the merchant was locked in the Missouri’s brig for the time being as it was still unclear of what to do with him. The attempted kidnapping of Reelan and the other Kyteeri officers, plus the attempted murder of Mark and the other crew would neither be forgiven nor forgotten.

The problem was that Mark later learned from that scumbag, that all slave merchants were sanctioned by the Empire of Sath and were given extraterritoriality rights. As a result, they could buy or kidnap, (which they did on a more frequent basis), whomever they wanted to sell as slaves and the Kingdom of Vereles could do nothing to stop them. This made establishing diplomatic relations with the Empire of Sath even more unpleasant, and the Council of Prime Directors were already hesitant to deal with that nation in the first place.

The slave merchant, who went by the name of Genar Vastonge, was screaming out that he had extraterritoriality rights and that the wrath of the Empire of Sath would be brought down upon them. Mark wasn’t too worried about this event as it was undoubtedly an act of self-defense on his crew’s part.  And he couldn’t blame the Kingdom of Vereles for not being able to do anything about the slavers. They didn’t have the ability to oppose the Sath, nor punish any of the Sath citizens for committing crimes on their soil. That included kidnapping and even murder.

“And that concludes my report on yesterday’s events.” Mark finished as he spoke to the council via holo-communicator in his quarters on the Missouri.

“All right, Captain. The Council has unanimously decided not to reprimand you or your crew for their actions in this event.” Prime Director Rodera stated. “We all agree that this was a clear case of self-defense and you and envoy acted accordingly.” He then gave Mark a bit of a whimsical smile. “And personally speaking, if somebody tried to buy, and then kidnap my wife, I would have said a lot more than just ‘up yours.’”

“Thank you sir. So what is our course of action at this point? Do we wait for the Vereles emissaries to arrive or do we abandon the diplomatic mission?”

“At this point, the establishment of friendly relations with the nations of this world is still a top priority. Therefore, you will make contact with these emissaries. However, you are given permission to move the Missouri out of harm’s way, should the situation become ‘untenable.’ Do you understand, Captain?”

“Yes sir! And what about our ‘guest’ down in the brig?”

“He’ll have to remain in your brig for the time being.”

“Understood sir. Captain Delan signing off.”

-------

After the image of Captain Delan disappeared from the main viewer, Nasaak, the Catian Prime Director turned to the other members of the Council.

“I’ve been meaning to ask. What does the phrase ‘up yours’ mean anyway?”

Nerto chuckled a bit before replying. “It’s an old Earth saying that is meant to be an insult. When that slave merchant offered to buy Commander Reelan, Captain Delan told the merchant to take that offer and shove it up his own rectum.”

The Catian smiled, showing an impressive set of sharp canines as he turned to Rodera. “I can see why you like the Missouri’s captain so much!”

-------

Back on the Missouri, Mark entered the bridge, in which all the crewmembers stood up and saluted him.

“As you were.” Mark said before sitting down beside his First Officer.

“Did you finish your report to the Council?” Reelan asked.

“I did. No one is to be reprimanded for their actions yesterday. As for the diplomatic mission, we are to meet with the emissaries of Veleres as scheduled. However, the Council has given me the authority to move the Missouri out of harm’s way, if the situation becomes untenable.”

“That may happen sooner than we think, Captain.” Lieutenant Visera stated. She was the ship’s communications officer and a Kyteeri as well. She had light, blonde hair done up in a short style.

“What do you mean?”

“Even though this region relies on psions or magic, their communication wavelengths can still be picked up by our equipment. I’ve been monitoring the local airwaves and I picked up a transmission being received by a Grevel station that belongs to the Empire of Sath. It reads as follows, ‘Prince Vexor and the Sath emissaries will arrive at Grevel by late afternoon today. The Green Dragon Fleet is nearing the interception point and will stand by.’”

“Green Dragon Fleet?” Reelan wondered.

“I believe that might be the unknown fleet that’s just waiting off the coast, Commander.” Ensign Taichen said. She was a female Catian and the ship’s navigator. Unlike the more common lion-type, she was more akin to that of a panther. “I’ve been monitoring the long-range sensors and I connected with the satellite surveillance network that we had established around the planet. Just a few minutes ago, I picked up a large number of ships heading toward our general direction.”

“On screen.” Mark commended.

Taichen showed her results on the main holo-display. It showed the northernmost curve of the Merdov coast and several small dots on the ocean.

“Magnify.”

The image became closer and clearer, displaying the image of several warships, all in formation and maintaining their position, just a few miles out of visual range of the port.

“Are those, sailing vessels?” Reelan wondered.

“They appear to be wind-driven, wooden ships, very similar to what was found on Earth in the 16th to 17th century.” Ensign Gatsbu explained. Like the Velor Prime Director, the ensign also enjoyed reading up on ancient Earth history. “Sensors indicate that they are ships-of-the-line types, each having an armament average of 30-50 cannons. I count thirty-one of these ships in total. And I do see one ship that looks to be some kind of small carrier.”

“Do they present any threat to the Missouri?” Mark asked.

“If we didn’t have the defense barrier… if they got close enough… if they can actually hit us with no fire-control systems….” The Velor ensign shrugged his shoulders. “They may just be able to scratch the paint… maybe…”

“Looks like someone wants us to stay for a while.” Mark’s second-in-command commented before turning to her lifemate. “Is it really top priority to establish diplomatic relations here?”

“I’m afraid it is.” The Missouri’s captain sighed. “Then again, it’s not like they have any way to stop us from leaving if we wanted to. Still, it wouldn’t hurt to exercise caution. We are scheduled to meet with the envoy from Vereles this afternoon. Hopefully we can work out an initial treaty and be gone before the envoy from Sath arrives. If not, well we’ll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.”

The other members of the bridge crew nodded in understanding.

--------

Later that day, in the conference room at a local inn…

At this point, Mark REALLY wished he was back on the bridge of the Missouri. The Vereles ambassador, a pudgy and middle-aged man, kept on going on and on about how beneficial it would be for Free Land and their nation to open up trade between them. He just went on and on about the treasure trove of magical gems and ore in Alder and how much his country would pay for them.

Okay, okay, I get it! You really need the magic gems on Alder. It’s not like we’re using those things! If it were up to me, I’d let you have them all!

On the other side of the conference hall, Reelan and the other Kyteeri representatives were the center of attention, as just about all the eleven ambassadors that Vereles had sent were glued to their unearthly beauty and abilities.

“So you say you are not elven?” Ambassador Wylern asked. He was a high-elf advisor to the king of Vereles and was about 540 years old, though he looked like he was still in his late fifties.

“No, we are Kyteeri. And we are definitely not elves. After all, how many blue-skinned elves have you met?” Reelan pointed out.

“Point taken.” Wylern admitted. “Are you able to perform magic?”

“If you’re talking about psion-related phenomenon, then yes we can do that.” The Kyteeri officer demonstrated by holding out her hand and making a glass of wine levitate off a nearby table and float toward her. The glass easily settled in her hand, in which she took a sip.

All the elven ambassadors gasped in shock. Just how was she able to do that? She didn’t invoke any spells or recite any chants. She had not used any medium, nor were there any magic stones present. This only made the elves even more interested in setting up a diplomatic relationship with the people living on the Alder continent.

Finally, after three long hours of discussion and debate, the delegates were ready to sign the initial documents and further their relationship with Free Land. Then it happened.

“Make way! Make way! His royal highness, Prince Vexor Lorcra of the Empire of Sath has arrived!”

Oh crap! Mark thought as he signaled to his crew to be ready. He also walked over to his wife, just as the front doors opened and the heir to the Empire of Sath strutted inside.

He was big brute, around 6’4” and heavily muscular. He wore what appeared to be a Roman-style armored breast plate and shin-guards, along with some gaudy epaulets. He also had on some breeches and gold boots. On his back was a scarlet cloak and on his hip was a short sword and dagger, along with a primitive flintlock pistol.

His entourage consisted of several guards who were similarly armed with melee weapons and single-shot flintlocks. The Missouri crew and diplomats were put on high alert as the prince shouted to everyone.

“Where are the Free Land ambassadors? I would have them sign the Alder continent to become Sath’s vassal state without delay!”

There was a long silence in the room as Vexor’s demand sunk in. Finally, Mark decided to step forward and speak.

“If you’re looking for a representative of Free Land, then that would be me.”

“And who are you?”

Though Vexor was taller than Mark by about two inches and was more massively built, the captain of the Missouri stood firm without flinching. After facing down the Cryterians, this wannabe tyrant was nothing.

“Captain Mark Delan of the space battleship, Missouri of the Star Alliance Fleet of Free Land. And you are the crown prince of the Empire of Sath?”

Vexor puffed out his chest with pride. “I am. And you should thank whatever gods that you pray to that I do not have you executed immediately for your impertinence! A lowly ship captain would not be worthy enough to lick the soles of my boots, let alone speak to me as if we were equals! If you truly are the emissary to Free Land, then you will immediately pledge your nation to become the vassal state of the Empire!”

The arrogant prince then thrust the document in front of Mark’s face with a smug look. The captain of the Missouri scanned the contents of the document but remained unimpressed.

At that point, Reelan walked up to her husband and asked, “What does it say, Captain?”

“Oh the usual demands of a wannabe dictator.” Mark replied nonchalantly. “Total obedience… You will give all your magic gem stores to the Empire…  An extremely high tribute is to be paid every year, which includes a large number of citizens to be made into slaves… the nation will not be allowed to make alliances without the consent of the Empire… blah… blah… “

At that point, Vexor noticed the blue-skinned beauty next to Mark and became immediately smitten by her.

“Oh what do we have here? Such a vision of loveliness! I have heard the rumors of the appearance of blue-skinned elves and their beauty. I see it was all true! I have decided! You shall become one of my concubines! Come here… erk!”

Just as he reached out to grab Reelan, his wrist was trapped within a very strong grip. He looked to the side and saw Mark holding him back with a single arm.

“I would prefer that you do not bother my First Officer, and my wife.”

“Peasant! How dare you lay hands on me?! I’ll have you hanged for this!”

Try as he might, Vexor found that he couldn’t pull free of Mark’s grip. Since Mark was an evolved Terran, his physical strength was greater than the norm. Mark noticed that Vexor’s free hand was going for the flintlock on his belt. With a simple twist, Mark spun Vexor around, and then knocked him to the floor with a cross to the chin.

Landing painfully on his backside, Vexor glared at Mark with a swelling chin for a moment, and then called out to his guards. “Kill him!”

The guards immediately reached for their pistols, but the Missouri’s crew reacted faster. In less than a second, ten blue bolts of energy were fired. Fortunately for the Sath guards, they were hit by stun bolts, since Mark’s crew didn’t want any innocents being killed by friendly fire. All ten guards dropped to the floor and were rendered unconscious.

After seeing his guards seemingly killed by some kind of strange magic, Vexor reached for his own weapon, only to find it gone. He looked up and saw Mark holding the flintlock in his right hand. Beside him, Reelan already had her pistol pointed at the buffoon prince.

“Looking for this?” Reelan’s husband said before casually crushing the weapon to pieces. He had disarmed Vexor the moment he spun him about.

Vexor looked on in shock as an object made from oak, bronze and iron broke apart in Mark’s hand. He could feel a wet stain form near his crotch.

In Mark’s other hand was the document that the prince had shoved in his face. He simply tore it up and let the pieces fall to the ground to join the remains of Vexor’s broken flintlock.

“We’ll be declining the offer to become the Empire’s vassal state, thank you very much.” While Reelan kept her weapon trained on the son of the emperor, Mark addressed the Vereles ambassadors. “I am truly sorry that this distasteful incident occurred. It seems we must postpone the finalization of our diplomatic relations with the Kingdom of Vereles, as the situation has become too volatile to continue. We will be in contact.”

Motioning for his crew and the Free Land diplomats to evacuate the premises, Mark headed toward the door. Just as he neared the exit, he heard Vexor shouting out threats.

“This insult to the royal family of Sath will not go unpunished! You can’t escape! My fleet will send you all to the bottom! You had your chance! Now your nation will be crushed under the might of the Empire! This is war!”

Mark paused, allowing his crew to exit before him. He gave the prince another old Earth insult, by thrusting out his fist and raising his middle finger. He then turned about and ran out the door.

-------

The bridge of the Missouri

“I take it the delegation didn’t go very well.” Lieutenant Commander Harken asked as he received the captain’s signal over the emergency channel.

“That would be an understatement, Harken.” Mark confirmed as he, the diplomats, and his crew ran through the streets. “Prepare the Missouri to get underway! Our ETA will be about 2 minutes! All hands to battle stations!”

“Aye sir!” The Catian third-in-command replied, then switched channels, and announced on the ship’s main communication system. “All hands, man your battle stations! I repeat, all hands, man your battle stations! Red alert! Red alert! This is not a drill! I repeat, this is not a drill!”

A siren went off as the crew of the Missouri went from routine to battle-ready in seconds. Down in the engineering section, the mighty meson/anti-meson reactor powered up as the ion thrusters were being readied. Crewmembers ran to their stations and the ship lit up with various lights. Outside on the docks, the mooring lines were immediately severed as the anchor was drawn up. At that moment, the lookout spotted the captain and his group approaching the pier. He ordered the boarding ramp to be lowered. In less than 20 seconds, Mark and the others boarded the Missouri and the ramp retracted. A few seconds later, the ship moved forward and was on its way out of the port city of Grevel.

--------

“Captain and First Officer on the bridge!” Harken announced as he ceded the command chairs to Mark and Reelan. As they took their places, Ensign Gatsbu announced their heading and speed.

“Captain, we are now clear of the docks and are currently at a speed of 15 knots.”

“Increase speed to 25 knots once we clear the harbor.” Mark commanded.

“Lieutenant Visera! Send word to the Council of Prime Directors! The diplomatic mission is a failure! We will be soon engaging the Green Dragon Fleet of the Empire of Sath!” Reelan stated.

“Navigation! What is the position of the Green Dragon Fleet?” The captain inquired.

“Sensors indicate that the fleet has begun moving toward our position. They’re moving at about 5-6 knots” Ensign Taichen stated. “It looks like they’ve launched some kind of aircraft.”

“Aircraft? Didn’t the surveillance team state that the Empire doesn’t have any aircraft?” The First Officer asked.

“They don’t.” Captain Delan confirmed. “Those aren’t aircraft! Those have to be wyverns!”

--------

The Green Dragon Fleet…

After receiving word from the prince via magic communicator, the Green Dragon Fleet immediately began sailing toward the harbor. Among their number was one of their newest ships, a wyvern carrier. This new vessel was capable of carrying at last 40 wyverns and their knights into battle, thereby projecting Sath’s air power at sea.

All forty wyverns were launched and ordered to delay the Free Land ship and prevent it from escaping. With both attacks coming from the sky and the sea, how could they possibly fail?

High in the sky, the lead wyvern knight was astounded when he sighted the Missouri. How could something be that big? It was like a giant metal, floating castle. And the speed it was going was unbelievable!

However, they had their orders and he signaled for his flight of wyverns to begin their attacks on the ship.

---------

The Missouri’s bridge…

“Sir! We have incoming bogeys on an attack angle heading towards us!” Taichen announced.

“The surveillance logs indicate that wyverns are able to generate fireballs that are similar to low-grade plasma bolts.” Reelan remarked.

“Shoot them all down.” Captain Delan ordered.

-------

As the wyverns began charging up their flame breath attacks while diving at the ship, both the beasts and their knights were shocked as multiple bolts of light came up from the ship and began picking them out of the sky. Some were metallic arrows while others were elongated pulses of energy.

“What the Hell?!”

“Look out!”

“AAAAAAAHHHHH!”

On the ship, the point-defense missile launchers and maser guns easily reduced the attacking force into bloody chunks of wyvern and human remains. In less than 20 seconds, the skies were clear of any wyverns.

The Missouri increased its speed.

-------

On board the flagship of the Green Dragon Fleet, the Vengeance, Admiral Verto Shikara was stunned beyond belief. To witness forty wyvern riders wiped out in such a short time was just impossible! Just what kind of magic did that ship possess to shoot down so many so accurately?

However, the wyverns’ sacrifice was not in vain as they had delayed the Free Land ship long enough for the fleet to get into position. Now every one of his ships could bring all of their guns to bear. There was no ship in the world that could withstand the broadside fire of thirty Sath warships! Once the Free Land ship came within 2 km, every ship would open fire and send that metal monster to the bottom!

------

“Looks like they managed to cross the T” Reelan announced.

“It’s a valid battleship strategy.” Mark admitted. “However, it’s too bad for them that our guns far outrange theirs. Helmsman, straight ahead 30 knots. All forward secondary batteries, load kinetic rounds and prepare to fire at the six center ships.”

“You’re not going to use the pulsar guns?” His wife asked.

“That would be overkill.” Mark reminded her, and then said, “OPEN FIRE!”

The two smaller turrets at the front of the ship traversed and locked onto their targets. Then they let loose with six flashes of light, as projectiles that were designed to destroy space warships sped toward the Green Dragon Fleet.

-------

On his flagship, Admiral Verto couldn’t believe that the Free Land ship was firing at them from over 20 km. Were they mad? There’s no way they could hit their ships at that distance…

KA-BOOM! KA-BOOM! KA-BOOM! KA-BOOM! KA-BOOM! KA-BOOM!

To the shock of all those present, six warships of the mighty Sath Navy were blown to pieces. Admiral Verto was flabbergasted. How could they possess such destructive and accurate fire? The other captains of the remaining ships were also in a state of confusion. How could the enemy destroy a ship with a single shot? What kind of monster were they fighting?

Admiral Verto then recomposed himself and ordered his remaining ships to converge on all sides of the enemy vessel. Surely that single ship could not defeat many ships coming at all angles, right?

------

“They’re not backing off, Captain.” Taichen announced. “It looks like they’re trying to encircle us!”

“Damn! I was hoping they would back off after that first salvo.”

“We don’t have a choice now.” Commander Reelan stated.

“No we don’t.” Mark let off a sigh and gave the order. “All secondary batteries, fire at will!”

-----

KA-BOOM!

“The Fortitude has been sunk!”

KA-BOOM!

“The Fearless has been destroyed!”

KA-BOOM!

“The Ravager is gone!”

KA-BOOM!

“The Paladin’s Shield is destroyed!”

KA-BOOM!

“The Crimson Fire is… well, on fire!”

At this point, the Admiral was in a state of near-panic. The metal monster that was the Free Land ship seemed invincible. They couldn’t even get within range to fire at them. And he even doubted at this point that they could do any damage if they did get in range. By the time his junior officer announced that the fifteenth ship had been lost, he decided that there was no hope of winning this battle.

“All ships… full retreat.”

----------

“Cease fire.” Mark commanded as the main holo-screen showed that the surviving Sath ships had disengaged and were retreating.

“Looks like they finally got the message.” Reelan remarked.

“Yes, and I’ll have some more explaining to do in front of the Council of Prime Directors.” The captain then told his bridge officers, “Alert all crews to stand down from battle stations. Helmsman, set a course for New Pearl Harbor. Take us home.”

“Aye sir!”

Mark let off a long, tired sigh as he sat back in his chair. Reelan, sensing that her superior officer and mate was feeling a lot of stress, stood up and began massaging his shoulders from behind his seat. Although it wasn’t by the book, nobody on the ship was going to blame them for this minor violation in protocol.

Good God that was such a hassle! I can’t believe that moronic prince thought I’d just stand there, sign away my nation’s freedom and let him take my wife! I can understand why the Council didn’t want to establish diplomatic relations with the Empire if that idiot was their representative. Well, even though we didn’t get to establish official relations with the Kingdom of Vereles, we avoided getting entrapped by the Sath. So we pretty much broke even. Although I get the feeling that I’m forgetting something…

“Captain?”

Mark looked up at his First Officer. “Yes, Commander?”

“What are we going to do with our ‘guest’ in the brig?”

“Damn it, I KNEW I forgot something!”

--------

July 6th, 11 AE…

“And that concludes my report on the mission to establish diplomatic relations with the Kingdom of Vereles.” Mark said as he finished recounting the events of the last two days. He stood in front of the Council of Prime Directors as he awaited their response and whatever punishment they would mete out for his actions.

“I must admit Captain Delan. That was quite the first impression you made on the people of this world.” Prime Director Anida stated.

“Not exactly the kind of impression we wanted to make, but impressive nonetheless.” Nerto added.

“I await your judgment, Prime Directors.” The Missouri’s captain said. “And I will accept whatever punishment you deem fitting for my actions. I only request that you do not punish the Missouri’s crew for following my orders.”

“Punishment?!” Nasaak exclaimed. “Why would we punish you for doing what you did? I would have done the same as you. Of course, I would have reduced that fool of a prince to a bloody smear, if he tried to take my mate and force me to sign away my nation, but that’s just me.”

“I don’t understand. This mission was a failure. I was unable to establish diplomatic relations with the Kingdom of Vereles.”

The Terran Prime Director gave the captain a nod before explaining. “The mission was to attempt to make diplomatic relations. And you did try. At the very least, our aim to announce our existence to the people of this world was achieved. It was through no fault of your own that certain people turned out to be quite rude.”

“Rude would be an understatement.” Viska remarked. “There were two attempted kidnappings of Commander Reelan, and the Missouri had to fight its way through a nation’s navy.”

“Fight? Hah!” The Catian Director chuckled. “That was no fight! It was a… what was that old Earth term, Captain?”

“Curbstomp… sir.”

“Yeah, that’s what I’d call it. I’ve seen mud-whompers put up a better fight.”

“Although we are not going to punish the captain for his actions, we still have a situation on our hands.” Anida pointed out.

“Hey, they started it with that vassal state nonsense!” The lion-like Director countered. “Or would you have preferred that Captain Delan and the diplomats sign away Free Land’s independence?”

“Certainly not! However, we now have to expect some reprisals from the Empire of Sath.”

“Of that, I have no doubt.” Director Rodera stated.

-------

The Empire of Sath, the royal palace…

“THIS WAS AN OUTRAGE, FATHER! THEY INSULTED ME AND THEY INSULTED THE EMPIRE! WE SHOULD BURN THEIR ENTIRE COUNTRY TO THE GROUND FOR THIS!”

As Vexor continued to rant in front of the emperor, his sister Lexina stood by and smirked. She had always known that her brother’s arrogance and idiocy would one day be his undoing and the previous day’s events certainly proved that. Although his public humiliation was something she had wished for, the loss of fifteen warships gravely concerned her.

According to the reports, the Green Dragon Fleet had vastly outnumbered the lone Free Land vessel, and yet the strange metal ship easily shot down 40 wyvern knights and destroyed 15 warships, all without the Sath vessels being able to fire once at it. Admiral Verto’s report was so unbelievable, that many wondered if he hadn’t gone insane. How could a cannon fire at such a long range with such accuracy? And there were also reports of the Free Landers firing blue bolts of magic and knocking out Vexor’s guards. And then there were the magical food packets the Free Landers had given to Grevel’s port master to pay for the docking fee.

“THIS AFFRONT WILL NOT GO UNAVENGED!”

Lexina’s attention snapped back to the present when she heard her father shout. She became even more alarmed when she heard what the Emperor said next.

“HAVE THE BLACK DRAGON AND RED DRAGON FLEET READY TO SET SAIL FOR THE ALDER CONTINENT! WE SHALL TEACH THE PEOPLE OF FREE LAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF DEFYING THE WILL OF THE EMPIRE!”

“Father, is that not unwise?”

“Be silent, little sister!” Vexor growled. “Stay out of matters that do not concern you!”

“When it deals with the future of the Empire, it most definitely concerns me! Did you not learn anything yesterday? You had thirty-one ships at your disposal and you lost half of them to a single vessel!”

“The Green Dragon Fleet was crewed by fools and weaklings!” Her older brother shot back. “Now we shall show those Free Landers the true power of our strongest ships! The Black Dragon Fleet is undefeated in all of Merdov and the Red Dragon Fleet cannot be matched in terms of speed and tactics! We shall crush that Missouri like a bug!”

“Thirty-one ships couldn’t stop it. What if they have MORE than one of those Missouri ships? What if they have a fleet of them?”

“They are a new nation, my daughter. They cannot possibly have a fleet strong enough to withstand our might! “

“But father…!”

At this point, both emperor and prince were too angry and prideful to listen to reason. They were right about one thing though. There was only one Missouri battleship in the Star Alliance Fleet. However, the Star Alliance had several dozens of space destroyers and cruisers on the planet, plus hundreds more waiting in orbit. And the Missouri itself was more than a match for just about any fleet on the planet.

The Empire of Sath had just started on its path toward destruction.

-------

July 13th, 11 AE…

“Well, that just about makes it official.” Benjamin Rodera said as he read the message that had been delivered to the Council. 

The Empire of Sath had sent their fastest, long-range courier ship to the Alder continent to deliver their ultimatum. The Empire had decided to give Free Land one final opportunity to accept their offer to become its vassal state. It was basically the same document that Vexor had tried to get Free Land’s diplomats to sign, with the same ludicrous demands and such. One noticeable addition was the demand that ‘all blue-skinned elf women were to be sent to Sath as the first tribute of slaves.’ If Free Land were to refuse again, then the Empire would declare war on the nation and burn it to the ground.

“Have Captain Delan report to the Council.” Anida said with a bit of anger. It was pretty obvious that she didn’t care for that demand that all Kyteeri women were to become slaves.

-------

Later…

“Well Captain Delan, you’ve read the Sath’s ultimatum. Your thoughts?” Nerto asked.

“The same as before, sir.” Mark then proceeded to tear the copy of the ultimatum to pieces before dropping the pieces into a nearby garbage receptacle.

“Our thoughts exactly.” Viska remarked. “So what should our official reply be, Director Rodera?”

Ben cocked his head in thought, and then smiled as he responded. “I think we can put that slave trader in the Missouri’s brig to good use. He’s been screaming every day for us to send him home. Why not oblige him and get our message across to the emperor at the same time?”

“And what will our message be?” Nasaak asked.

“Something simple and straight-forward.”

-------

July 20th, 11 AE…

Princess Lexina had never seen her father turn that shade of purple before. Then again, he’d never been that angry before.

A few days after sending the ultimatum to Free Land, the Empire got a response in the form of a slave merchant who had been taken prisoner by the Missouri’s crew. He had been released and sent back with the courier ship. He had just handed the ruler the official response of Free Land. Expecting the complete surrender and obedience of Free Land, Garres was initially puzzled as the document only had two words after the introduction. When asked what they meant, the slave merchant swallowed hard and told him.

That was when Emperor Garres flew into a rage.

On the document, it was written in the Imperial Script as follows:

To Emperor Garres Lorcra VII of the Empire of Sath…

UP YOURS!

Signed,

The Council of Prime Directors of Free Land.

To be continued…

Author’s Notes

The last part of this chapter was inspired by the story of Brig. Gen. Anthony C. McAuliffe, and his response to the Nazi’s demand for him to surrender at Bastogne. His response was ‘nuts!’

23