Chapter 8
128 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
CW: Distress

Chapter 8

 

Naira woke slowly the next day to the distinct sound of Violet’s boots pacing back and forth without pause. As she left her room she saw Violet pacing up and down the waiting area, her tail thrashing back and forth with each step. Looking at her eyes it’s clear she’s not slept a lot, if even at all. With the way she was pacing, the expression in her eyes and face, and with her tail she looked frantic. 

 

“Violet” Naira spoke softly as Violet was nearest her, but still a couple of metres away “what’s wrong?” Violet’s head snapped up to look directly at her, and Naira realised she wasn’t just frantic, she was Wild about something, but before she could say anything else Violet had pounced, clearing the distance and pushing her against the wall by her shoulders

“I Heard her Naira! I Heard her!!!” Violet said forcefully “She’s Alive!”

“Heard who Vee?” Naira enquired, wincing from her shoulders slightly whilst looking at Violet
“Who do you think?” snapped Violet, before releasing Naira and visibly sagging, a look of hurt upon her face “Krymson” she wailed, anguish driving tears to her eyes “I Heard her Naira, last night. More than once. She’s still alive!”

Naira looked shocked “...are you sure Vee?” she asked quietly
Violet’s eyes narrowed to a harsh glare, her ears back “Of Course I’m Sure Naira Do you Honestly think I’d mistake Her voice?!?” she hissed, the venom clear

“I just...I’m sorry Vee, I believe you. I just don’t see How”

Violet sagged again, her ears drooping and her tail falling down “I...don’t know, I can’t say How. But I Know it was her!”
“I see” said Naira thoughtfully “do you have an idea where you heard her from, which direction?”

Violet seemed to gaze beyond Naira, seemingly at nothing “I...I don’t know” she muttered, tilting her head slightly “It wasn’t like I heard her clearly. It was more when I wasn’t focused on anything I could hear her, but more perceived than directly heard. When I tried to focus on the words or sounds they vanished.” 

“Hmm” thought Naira out loud, starting to pace herself “it’s possible that the connections I created in your ears are picking up almost ambient transmissions from somewhere, or somehow. I have NO idea how though! I mean, everything about them was theoretical a month ago after all, everything about it is experimental!”

Violet just watched her pace, her eyes never leaving Naira’s face as Naira paced and mused, before stopping and turning to face Violet “Follow me, we’ll run some tests and scans, I’ll do a diagnostic on everything. I planned to today anyway, check everythings as ok as it seems”

With that she turned and walked into the room with the medical bed in it, gesturing for Violet to take a seat next to the desk

Violet followed her to the desk, and took the seat she indicated sitting down, before shifting with a wince to accommodate her tail more comfortably. Noticing this Naira’s eyebrow rose quizzically “did you feel that?”
“Yeah” Violet replied “why, did you not expect sitting on a 2 foot long tail to hurt?”

“To be honest Vee no, I wasn’t convinced the synthetic nerves in the tail would work for the length, it’s another untested experimental adaptation” 

“I see” mused Violet “I take it the adaptation is another of your own design?” Naira simply blushed slightly in response, before clearing her throat “shall we make a start on diagnostic checking then Vee?”
“Of course, do I need to be unconscious for this?” Violet asked, starting to pull the ragged black & purple knitted jumper dress up from her waist
“No, not at all! You don’t need to strip either Vee!” Naira exclaimed, causing Violet to drop her dress, though more of a top on her, back down.

“I can connect remotely via the links in each limb, the interface systems can be linked via my hybrid WiFi and RFID network” explained Naira
“So does that mean they can be accessed from anywhere by anyone?” Violet asked, a note of uncertainty in her voice
“No. They require specific access nodes and control protocol to allow access, as well as optical retina scan of both operator and yourself, observe” with that Naira scanned first her own left eye and then Violets, upon which the screen switched to show the real time data and the logs from all the implant connection systems. After about 5 minutes reading through the logs on her screen, whilst Violet just cooly stared at her waiting. Naira finally snapped back slightly, before turning to face Violet
“Did you say it was as you relaxed you heard it Vee?” 

“Heard Her you mean, and yes. Why?”

“Well the logs show that when you relaxed fully, and the connections went passive, the biological audio processors in your ears used the controllers connectivity systems to access the ambient WiFi in the studio, and went searching for….something” Naira explained, looking slightly perplexed

“Are you saying my ears went wandering the internets without guidance, looking for something of their own choosing?!? You Do see how fucked up that sounds right?” asked Violet sceptically

“You have entirely working and accurate feline ears and a two foot long tail, that react to your emotions” Naira retorted with a raised eyebrow “but No, not of their own choosing Vee, Something in your brain directed them to”

“How, and What?”

“I don’t know, I’m not a tech hacker! I can see where the access was made, but not where they went”

“Hmm” Violet muttered “So you can’t trace where they went to find Her voice. Are the logs downloadable, and how portable can you make the kit to connect?”

Naira looked perplexed “errr, yes, and loadable into say a car, but whatever for?”

“If we can’t find where they found Her, then we need people who Can”

Naira was confused, before understanding dawned on her face “you don’t surely mean..”
“Yes” Interrupted Violet “we need to go see Lillith and Anubis”

“But they’re over the Wall!” cried Naira “You’ll Never get past the roadblocks on the M1, with your ears AND you being a known Disquieter!! How do you even expect to get out of the city to head into the North and then cross the border?”

“Sy, he’ll help me” Violet replied calmly

“Your business partner?!? But he’s the most law abiding person we know! I mean Sure, he maintains and deals in slightly questionable legal exotic sports cars, but he’ll Never go for it!”

“He will Naira, he’s been a great friend, was in the Sanctum, and whilst what we’ll be doing isn’t legal he’ll agree it’s Right”

Naira didn’t look convinced
“Besides” Violet continued with a slight smirk  “he owes me a favour”

3