Ch10: Bad Situation
2.6k 2 70
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bad situation

Again asleep, in the capsule probably

Again in this state.

How long will it be before I wake up? I need to get out of here and get on with my life. I just need a chance, that's all. While I was waiting, I heard some kind of conversation again, so I decided to pay more attention and see what I could understand.

"What do you mean my time work is over?" Someone said quite angrily.
"I'm the best investigator on the ship, and the only one who at least knows something about her."
"Why can't I work on this for more than two hours a day?"
"THIS IS RIDICULOUS.
"She's been showing signs of brain activity in her sleep since yesterday, she didn't have it before."
"And there's the story of how Cedric says he was beaten by her."
" It could be a sign that a conscience is awakening".
"This must be investigated!
"It may only be a matter of time before we can no longer control her and she falls into the hands of the Empire!"

Again that voice talking about investigating. It seems they don't know anything yet, which is good if I want to keep Codex safe. He also talks about being on a ship, will it be the same aircraft carrier I was on, the U.S.S. Essex?

"I've already said several times that you have a maximum of two hours a day for maintenance," another voice said, it was that of a man, a little older because of the way it sounded, because it imposed a lot of authority on him.
"Nothing more"
"Except for you, no one wants to work on the security measures that you yourself have put in place".
"We have a strict control with the sedatives that are supplied"
"Hence the time limit"
"And since Dylan's disappearance, the project has been completed in the hands of the Alliance, the I.S.C. no longer has anything to do with it."
"If you continue to be a nuisance, I will arrest you for attempting to gain access to a restricted area outside the facility."
"I guess you know what that means, right?"
"You would be tried for espionage, and that pays a high price in a war."

"You are a bunch of incompetents!"
"I swear I'll take care of this one way or another!" the angry person replied.

"I am only in charge of guarding this room, if you want to complain, you will have to talk to someone else".

"This won't stay like this," I heard the angry person retreat with steps so loud that I could hear them even without concentrating.

Well, it seems that they have me locked up and watched when I'm not fighting.

"I just saw Brandon leave."
"Was he trying to steal information again?" Now a woman can be heard with a calm tone.

"He's always looking for a way to get more time with her".
"But my job is to keep him in check," the man replied, now with a gentle tone.

"From one of the best spies of the Cold War to a simple gatekeeper."
"Aren't you overqualified for this job?" she said.

"My retirement date is approaching.
"I don't want to die this close to retirement," he said.
"It was a personal decision, I offered to do this to see the capsule".
"Besides, the war is almost over.
"And soon I will have a granddaughter to take care of, Haru."
"One of my daughters died with her husband at the beginning of the year, at the moment she is living with my other daughter, but at the moment she has financial problems and since she has no children of her own, so I thought about taking a little load off her".
"On the other hand, I even got a job as a police chief, I'm going to start soon, and they have a good schedule as well, so I can take care of her".
"I have to make up for all the time away and the absence of her parents."

The war is almost over! But how?
What have I missed all this time?

"Family," she said in a melancholy tone."
"We all have one."
"Though I've been hiding from mine all my life"
"I don't want them to worry"
"No more than what has already happened."

"It's hard to have such an important position in the Alliance"
"It leaves you no time for anything," the old man said, knowing very well why he said it.

"I wouldn't even call it a position."
"That in the end almost everything depends on me only reflects the inefficiency of the High Command," she said as if it were not important.
"When all this is over, I will devote myself to my family."
"I will leave all this business and favors."
"I don't want that anymore."
"After losing someone again, I realized that it does not matter if I save the world, the world will not care what happens to me or the people I love".

Your way of speaking reminded me of myself, in fact it is what I would have said myself. That despite everything that has happened, I just want to leave it all behind and concentrate on what is important to me, because it has already cost me a lot to help others.

"And speaking of the end of the war," the man said in a more serious tone.
"What about her?"
"Will we leave her there?"
"Will they keep her in some forgotten warehouse?"
"Or do you plan to free her and try to teach her something other than killing?"

"She has completed 35 successful missions, all without problems." She revealed.
"Although Dylan's disappearance has made it impossible to continue the investigation."
"She has undoubtedly exceeded the plans we had with her, unfortunately, she has been quite effective. "
"So much so that they already have plans to continue using her even after this ends."

WWHHAATT !!

35 missions? But if I only remember 2!
What the hell happened to the others? Where did they come from?
Did they really manage to control me?

"But," she began to speak again.
"Personally, I think that even if this ends, the I.S.C. will try to regain control of her, even though they are the ones who left, they gave that up, now that they have seen how effective she is, they will look for a way to have her back for themselves".
"All this should not go on, we do not know who she is or what she is capable of, as Brandon says, we do not know if we are really capable of controlling her completely".
"She has a knack for killing in cold blood."
"I know she can communicate, listen to the story Cedric tells about her in Tunisia".
"And the fact that she hasn't said anything since then is very strange."
"We do not know what she might be thinking or planning.
"What do you think would happen if I really had a personality?"
"Don't you think he would be looking for a way to take revenge on her captors?"
"But there is something that bothers me even more."
"From what ruins and where did Dylan get her? Don't you think it's strange that we don't know anything about it?"
"What would happen if it was the same thing that caused those ruins, because according to the book it was the only thing intact in that place."
"And even worse, Brandon, who is looking for all possible information about her, is not interested in knowing it either, but no, it is as if he already knows the answer and that is why he is not looking for it. "
"They work for the same company, so they must have a lot more information than what they are giving us."
"So it's all a pretty shady affair between them and us."
"This could go bad any time."

"Then I assume you already have a plan to solve it," he replied simply.

"I have already had my assistant Xi'an destroy various pieces of information."
"Just enough for Brandon not to notice," the woman began to explain.
"When the attack on Vienna begins, we will redeploy the "Valkyria" and set up a command post in the city to monitor it, since that has been his goal all along, I doubt he will refuse, so he will leave."
"When he leaves the ship, we will wipe out everything here, leaving him with only what he has at hand.
"When we see the right moment, we will pretend that an enemy is attacking the command center, forcing them to leave the place as soon as possible, we will destroy the place with all the data."
"We'll put the girl to sleep again and when Brandon returns to the ship, there will be nothing left."

"And what will happen to her, she is the center of all this," he asked again.

"I do not like how it sounds but we will have to get rid of her too, we will say that we lost her during the battle in a surprise attack, what I still do not know is if she will be destroyed with explosives or in some way that leaves nothing".
"To end the suffering she has gone through.
"To be locked up against her will, following the orders of people she doesn't know."
"It is certainly a fate worse than death. "
"At least we'll put an end to it, and may she rest in peace.

When I heard that, I was afraid again. They would try to kill me after my next mission. So if I didn't succeed in escaping, that would be the end of me. And even though I'm glad they're done with the information, I don't feel good knowing that the next time I wake up will be the last time I fall asleep again.

I have to concentrate and find a way to get out of the city, or at least find a place to hide until the effects of the sedatives wear off and I can wake up to get out of there.

Almost nothing, too easy compared to the Moscow metro at least.

70