Chapter 1: Right As The Clock Strikes Midnight
671 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1: Right As The Clock Strikes Midnight

A shot of red crossed the night sky passing over the lands of the Selphim dukedom. The stars in the sky overtaken by a bright comet speeding elegantly high in the air heading east.

The streak of fire sailed smoothly flashing past the small towns and villages of the countryside before beginning its descent and not long after a slim body touched down with a soft pat onto the dirt ground. Without a single hair astray or her game hunting outfit wrinkled the eldest daughter, or once was, of the Selphim family Celestine Lucurid Selphim stood before the city of Bright Dawn.

Flipping her wrist she glanced at her watch.

“35:58,” She said frowning.

“A minute too early.”

Having been told to arrive in the great Hero’s territory in a month’s time she took the final steps past a signboard alerting travelers they were leaving the Acridicisent Kingdom.

[If life here is unbearable I’ll leave for the Black Continent.] She thought to herself.

Her attachment to the Acridicisent Kingdom was a powerful one. Tied to her motherland because living for it is what was instilled into her since birth.

Being a graceful lady, ruling her people, serving the royal family, and helping the kingdom, and her dukedom, see a better future.

All her life, all her memories, all of her experiences were filled to the brim of her life within the Acridicisent’s borders she could not fathom a life outside of it. Her aversion and her deep fears of a true unknown if she left kept her chained to these lands even after facing the betrayal of the peers she thought something of. However the chains were not unbreakable and their wear was still within bounds, although reaching their limit quickly.

“So you did come after all.” A voice rang out from the shadows behind moonlit trees.

It wasn’t an unfamiliar voice she had heard it before the first time being a loud desperate yell from her estate’s front gates begging for a moment. Loud enough to pass through the glass as she peered outside.

“I’m honored, the great Hero Novec has come to personally greet me at his territories most western part.”

Hero Novec stepped forward his large frame coming into view. A body filled with the trials he faced that allowed the finishing blow on a rift demon as powerful as Malzak.

Celestine stood still for a moment it had been years since she last saw him in person so closely. Comparing to the first time she allowed him into her home he had grown considerably.

[He was so small then.] Reminded of the time she saw a thin boy from her home’s second-floor library banging on the front gate shaking it yelling at the top of his lungs.

He had been refused, he had no proper apportionment, by a stationed guard but he made no attempt to accept such a response.

[Was it pity that I gave him a moment of my time? Was it the desperation in his eyes that led my life to this point? His eyes…]

Lost in thought stuck on trying to remember what it was about the eyes her mind was interrupted by Novec’s voice.

“The one should be honored is I, having the gifted daughter of the Selphim family come to me.” Novec bowed deeply before lifting up and offering his hand.

Celestine laughed giving him her hand allowing him to kiss it lightly.

“What charm, yet seeing you again has reminded me of the stuttering boy who turned mute the moment I heeded his need to hear his selfish request.”

She felt his hand tremble the moment her comment left her lips before he gently let go returning her hand to her side.

“Besides, I am no longer part of the Selphim family was taking that away from me another one of your selfish desires?”

She looked curiously at Novec for an answer her voice carrying an obvious bitterness towards him, although she did try her best to suppress it.

“I…” he hesitated unsure of an answer.

It was his request but it was just something he felt he had to do. He did not know why but his life had always just been following his instinct.

Seeing him wrack his mind Celestine stopped his train of thoughts.

“It doesn’t matter. There is no need to answer, you are the Hero Novec that saved countless lives, rescued countless innocents, and saved the Selphim dukedom from its impending destruction had you not appeared. What you request was yours to have, it is only right.”

She meant those words. She did feel thankful and indebted to him for his selfless choice when he chose to become the champion against an unknown enemy with no reservations.

Novec looked saddened at her words but said nothing. He truly did not know why he had forced her to come.

“Please follow me to the capital you must be tired from your journey here. I’ve prepared a palace for you to reside in.”

Celestine nodded as she watched Novec jump on his massive greatsword and ride the air. With a light jump, she mounted her firey eight legged mare summon and followed after him.

Staring at Novec’s back Celestine wondered. [Why am I following him?]

In terms of speed nobody could match her steed Hellfire. She could have run away many weeks ago to the continent in which the journey itself is the most dangerous part. A trail with space random splitting breaks in reality, mind altering fogs, and zones of pure death which threw off anyone who would dare chase.

Yet, as hard as she thought she didn’t seem to mind complying. She was more curious into finding out why she didn’t mind and why Novec, who did not seem to know either, wanted her here.

***

 

11