Episode 1: The Moon Herself
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Originally written for Royal Writathon. Made in April, 2020.)

 

A yellow coyote-wolf, Vanos, ran down the sprawling streets of Wysdom. Merchants spread their arms over their produce as parents yanked their children's tails back. The world of Voto had many species, and the Drakkiks were a well-known species. Dires, or draconics, who had been fused by three bloods. 

A wolf and a fox couldn't normally breed, but with dragon DNA as the link, it allowed for Mosor to exist as she jumped over the wooden rooftops. Crimson architecture everybody had stable housing. None of that shamblings in other, lesser developed areas. 

The final of the three to make the trip, and crusading past the crowd with her wide berth, a wolf-hyena. Kyofi. As she rampaged, whoever didn't get out of the way was thrown out of the way. 

Panic's essentialness came because somebody had done the worst thing a small restaurant ever saw. Dine and dashing. 

A huge marsupial creature ran on all fours. These plant-like creatures had petals coming out of their scaly bodies. The Bohs. He stood bipedal again to find his bearings, when Mosor jumped out in front of him. 

She growled, but was only half his size, as any Boh was five feet tall. The boh put his paw on her head. Angling her feet, she tried to push forward with any leverage she got. 

Kyofi came from behind and tackled the Boh down as she was taller and fatter than him. The boh screeched, and Vanos came in for the final part of the group tackling. 

While screeching, the boh slashed at their faces with his long claws, but the triad avoided his slashes and restrained his arms. 

Kyofi picked around in his pockets and found the boh had money. "Guess we didn't need to make this hard after all." She pocketed the money and went over to her sister, Mosor. Both had dark brown fur, but the difference came in that Kyofi's fur would have spots of dark brown and Mosor had yellow spots instead. 

Mosor asked the struggling boh, "Wait, why'd you run off?" The other two raised their eyes at her inquiry. 

"I didn't feel like paying," he muttered as he prepared to scamper. But Mosor placed a paw on his tail. 

He looked back, and she asked, "Do you need any help?" His expression softened, but he shook his head at her. She let go and he ran.

"Interesting, you only took the money," said a voice in the crowd. The three turned to face said voice, and saw a tall, yellow wolf with dark brown splotches. 

"Kinda look familiar," Kyofi said. "But yeah, we're only owed the money. We are trying to run a restaurant, not a police station." 

But Vanos peered at the tall yellow wolf more and as he squinted, his vision told him something. "I think I know you." 

A light flashed and she was gone, but everybody in the audience had to blink their eyes. A Flashbang spell.

Mosor said, "That was rude, but anyway, let's go back. We're going to have a lot of sales after the Red Moon Festival." That settled that. 

A ding came as they entered the ice cream shop. Dires couldn't stomach ice cream as much as other species. Still, it was nice to have once in a while, and it was a small tradition. They had been third generation, starting with grandma Sunday. It ran down Kyofi and Mosor's mom, and in Vanos' mom. 

Mosor walked past the checkerboard tiles and went behind the counter. Kyofi handed her the money, and went to the back to tend to the toppings. 

Vanos' little sister, Ahmond, was staying for a few days. The red and black coywolf was busy doodling on a notepad on a table, not caring much about what was going on. 

"Have you had dinner yet?" Vanos asked as he came over to her table, and saw she was trying to draw a flower. Unfortunately, crayons didn't make for good outlines, and that flower was wilting, and poorly constructed. 

"It's only eighteen," she said. 

Vanos told her, "Still, we need to make sure you're fed. Could always give you some sort of salad." 

Ahmond pouted and said, "I can't focus on food, I'm trying to finish this drawing. Rosod and I are trying to see who's a better drawerer." 

"Artist," Kyofi told her. 

Ahmond looked over at Kyofi and stuck her tongue out, and Kyofi stuck her tongue out right back, before pulling an eyelid down. Mosor giggled as she watched the two. Vanos shook his head. 

A ding came and the wolf from before stood. 

Mosor tilted her head and said, "You came in and disappeared. If you didn't feel like being part of a crowd, why'd you Flashbang us?" 

Vanos said, "Especially since, that, you know, hurts our eyes and ears?" He grumbled at her, but the slender, tall wolf took a few steps forward. "You look a lot like-" 

"The Ascended of the Moon, Lhyna?" she asked, raising her head. All eight eyes nearly popped out of their skulls as they went over to her. 

"Why are you here, Lhyna?" Vanos asked. 

Lhyna smiled and said, "For over a year, everyone's tried to find the three treasures I've stashed around this country. Only this journal knows how to find them."

Lhyna summoned forth a book, and placed it down. It was bound by leather, and had no title on it. 

"I figure that maybe a smarter, simpler soul could learn how to open it." She placed it on the counter and slid it over to Mosor. 

As she turned tail, Lhyna said, "If you four can find the treasures, then remember the deal, I'll let you all be part of my guard." And she left, and a flash accompanied her disappearance again. 

Vanos tried to open up the book, but only the middle section would flip out. The first section had been glued shut. 

"Get the acetone?" Kyofi asked when presented with the problem. "Case closed. We cracked the case again." 

Mosor held an ink pen and opened up the beginning of the middle and said, "How about we simply use this as a diary?" 

Vanos laughed and said, "That's what you would do, Firefly." In most of Voto, a name was distinguishing, but in Wysdom, everybody had a nickname they were known by, for fun. 

"There's probably several of these books if she gives them out to anybody she thinks might find the treasures," Mosor said. 

"You think there are others?" Kyofi asked. She didn't recall that being part of the conversation with the moon goddess. 

"Maybe, I mean, we aren't the only good guys in this Sunnyville, Wysdom, right?" Vanos and Kyofi shook their heads. "Why not use it for a diary, and maybe we can at least show her we tried to open it up? We'll record every day's events, and after a month, we can stop our pursuit." 

Vanos and Kyofi said, "Deal." 

Mosor nodded and all three put their paws on the book. That was the start of the Firefly Diaries. 

0