Chapter 34: An Unexpected Reunion.
1.6k 4 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a large discussion regarding my situation and what had happened with my grandfather.
My mother acted strangely, making her more serious and dominant, she made swift commands to the servants as well as bringing menders to restore the queen back her strength as gratitude for her family for keeping me safe.

With her whole family watching the scene.
No sooner the queen awoke from her sleep with a warm welcome of her own family giving a wide embrace to greet her safe return to the living.

She turned to the room to see the three of us watching from the sidelines.

But to our surprise, she then called my mother's name.

"Rue... am I dead yet?"

My mother swiftly smiled back at her as she calmly said.
"I'm surprised you can still recognize me.
I was expecting you would forget."

She then retorts with a frown.
"Do you even know what the other nation call you now?"

"The Shadow Mistress of the Demon King." She answered with a wink

"Right?" both of them then giggled like young girls.

Everyone in the room was puzzled including her husband.
"Wasn't the Black Mistress the one who brought calamity to that nation?"

The Queen then pinched his hand as he pulls it away from her.
"Honey, don't say such a thing!" She said angrily to him as she turned to my mother with a worried expression.

"I'm sorry for your loss,"
"I thought you were already gone, the only news that my informant told me, was all about how your whole family was executed by your own nation as traitors despite being named heroes of your kingdom."

My mother then shook her head while gazing away at the window.
"Lyra... That's already a long time ago."

As she then turned to my sister and I,
while giving us a wide grin, she then pulled both of us as she flaunted us to them.
"Besides, when you have such beautiful children like these.
You can't wait for them to have grandchildren."

Both of us swiftly retorts with flushed faces as we cried out.
"Mother!"

"Mom!"

My sister and I were silent.
She never told us anything about it.
We were giving her worried and curious looks,
It was a moment where we were interested in our own mother's origins.

The queen herself tried to compete, as she pulled Leanne to her side along with her two sons.
As they both gloated and laughed.
Everyone gazed at them with a wry smile, trying to not break their reunion.

As they soon had a long discussion of their past, while serving us tea and shooing away the guards including her own husband, telling him there is much work to be done.
Replacing them with servants instead.

The two then rambled about many things.

Regarding the fall of my mother's nation Astoria who tried to challenge the demon-kingdom.
and her tale of how she was left with nothing wandering the forest of the demons hoping to be captured by them.

It was a long tale regarding how she became a prisoner then sold as a slave to the demon-king as he began to fancy his interest in her. As well as how he soon decided to turn her into his mistress.

My sister and I were interested in the part where she said.
"We had a wild night under the bright moon." while placing a finger on her lips.
Everyone in the room blushed at her words a few male servants could only writhe in jealousy at her words.

But we later knew that Rue the Shadow Mistress and Lyra the Queen of Bristle.
Was actually once students of the prestigious school within this kingdom.
They were close friends until my mother had to return to her kingdom after her family situation regarding the intent of war between the demon-kingdom became known to her.

It took her a two-month journey riding a horse as she returned on her own to her fair nation as a Sovereign princess who was engaged to the prince of her nation. Though it fell short as her own family was betrayed when she arrived.

After that, was the beginning of how she became the mistress of my father.

My sister and I at that moment saw our mother in a new light.
We were surprised to see.
That despite our mother's cheerful smile, hid such a terrible past.
Only to understand that her love for us siblings was her way for her to forget such a past.

Or so we thought...
Until she laughed out loud while saying.

"Everything went according to my plan."

Boasting to her of how she avenged her family by using our father's power.
Everyone could only give her an awkward smile, including us sisters.

________________________________________________________________________________
Eventually, they finished their long talk, her family nods to us as we did to them.

Later on, after speaking with the queen with a set of tea.
She then made a request I did not expect to happen.
"Admit my youngest daughter to your school."
Lyra the queen, eyes began to shine the moment she heard it.

Leanne, on the other hand, had a sharp gaze directed at me.
She wanted me to talk to me in private, but with my sister holding my hand.
There was no way I could escape her grip as it has the strength of steel itself.
I could only shake my head in response.

As they spoke to one another, my mother expressed her concern for my safety as she said.
"I fear, her own kin might come for her.
Is there a way to keep her safe without anyone from our kingdom from recognizing her?"

During those moments, Leanne then made a proposition to Rue and Lyra.
"If you intend to bring her to school without anyone in your kingdom to discover her.
Wouldn't using her current alias as Luria be efficient?"

"Luria?" she curiously

Lyra her mother then exhaled as she said.

"It was the name she called herself when we picked her up.
Though, she professed herself as a duke daughter of your nation.
While she begged us to become a maid in our household."

"Eh?"  were my mother's reaction,

while my sister's hands tightened a bit as she turned her head to me in a sharp gaze. My embarrassment to the situation had grown two folds as blood rushed to my face with regret and frustration.

[Please, let this day end.] were my thoughts.

But Lyra replied to her reaction.

"But given the situation.
She must have been terrified of being discovered as a princess of your kingdom.
After all, was it not true that her own kind rejected her?" My mother eyes then turned to worry and sorrow as she later explained to her.

"Indeed... but it was something that none of us could control.
After all, Estel was attacked using magic by the very students of our own kingdom.
We kept everything in the dark to keep the peace.
But after that incident, we had no choice but keep her the castle."

________________________________________________________________________________

// A traumatic past. //

Estel gripped the clothes on her chest as she looked downward, her bitter expression as she heard a certain fact that would never leave her mind no matter how long it took.
All she could remember was...
A young boy who held small wings had blocked the magic thrown at her.
As teachers and servants alike soon panicked to stop their reckless actions.

It simply happened too fast, that she no longer wished to remember that day.

"So... it was indeed true.
But I am glad my daughter seems to have grown an attachment to her.
It reminds me of our days together."

Leanne's face blushed as she heard it,
Lana who was at her side with bandages could only tease her with a grin.
But then Rue then asked while gazing at Leanne.

"So... what kind of things did my daughter do as a maid?" Leanne's heartbeat swiftly as she was asked with such a question. She felt both guilty and terror as the wrong words could possibly trigger her wrath as they did to her own nation.

"Um..." as she was about to speak Estel intervene as she shouted.

"She's a great person who constantly worries for me.
I would never have any other person as a friend than her!?"

Her fear then turned to embarrassment as she retorts to her word.

"How can you say something so embarrassing like that!
Are you alright in your head!"

The two mothers gazed at both of them as the two then blushed at their own words.
However, it was soon followed by their laughter.

At that moment Estel and Leanne could only think in their embarrassment.
[Somebody please, kill us.] while they both covered their red faces with their hands.

Esla, however, shuddered as she asked mother.
"Why didn't you tell me about that?
All that was told to me, was she was harassed."

Rue swiftly retorts to her serious question.
"Because we did not want people like you to overreact.
Aside from that, Estel was protected by another student.
She came unharmed but that student was in terrible shape."

As she also added with a wink.

"Of course, we repaid that person with a reward that none of those students could easily reach."

As she explained it to her, Esla felt a bit comforted that her sister was in one-peace.
She simply gazed at her with annoyance and curiosity as our mother herself were hiding certain things from her.

___________________________________________________________________________

Morning -> Midday

// We cannot stay here for long. //

While the Mistress and the Queen continued their discussion.
Esla soon coughed at her mother, as she had forgotten the time.

"Ah... that's right,
Lyra, there are things I need to do.
It appears it's time for me to go."

"Such a shame.
Though, you will come and visit again?"

She winked at her as she then told her.
"We constructed a gate to our nation here.
As long as none of your people tries to destroy it.
I should be able to visit again, though placing a few of my people guard should suffice."

Lyra then asked with a puzzled expression.

"Gate? to your nation?
What do you mean?"

Rue giggled as she then told her.

"It's better to see it for yourself."

As she said these words, we soon moved to the room where the gate was made.

"This is... quite astounding," she said.

Lance was frozen with awe as he watched at the gate before him.

A portal revealing a dark corridor of their castle was in front of them.
The intricate design of writing and scribbles of magic were completely written all over the room.
"We erected protection to our work, prevent any harm to the writings.
It should be safe for use at any time." The twin shadow knights said to her.
Assuring it's the safety of use.

She then replied with a salute.
"Great job as always you two."

The both of them smiled under their helmet as they returned the salute.
As she turned to Lyra to say.
"My husband might come here,
He has a terrifying look but he's quite a reasonable man.
Take care of my daughter for me."

Before she left, she then gently embraced Estel with a long hug, while whispering.
"Don't cause too many problems now." Estel nodded to her in response.
As seconds fly by, she then turned around to face the portal as she entered it.

Esla was soon next to follow her.
"Mission success." She said to both of them giving a thumbs up.

"You two manage the gate from here.
We will return here with father soon."

As they gave her a nod and salute as well,
she then turned to Estel giving her a short hug.
While whispering in her ears.
"I have many things to speak to father about your circumstances.
Take care of yourself.
Alright?"

Estel nods to her as she then followed her mother inside the portal.
As their images visible within it, slowly it then began to close.

The servants and the rest of the people were left to guard the gate.
Lyra the queen gave a wry smile along with with Leanne her siblings.

"You never told me how amazing your family was Estel."
Leanne's face twitched with a complaint to her.

Estel exhaled as she then confessed.

"I never knew,
Usually I was carried by one of my father's servants while flying as they drop me off to school."Leanne and her family gave her a wry smile as she said those words.

The twins then informed Estel.
"The gate can only open for a few hours before it closes.
It will take at least a day for it, to be used again.
Princess, if you intend to return to the kingdom.
Feel free to do so...
So we may return home as well."

They said in an annoyed fashion.
She then replied.

"Wow... you two are quite jerks.
How are you two not fired yet?"

The two then giggled as they rhymed.
"We are jerks to everyone.
Be it human or demon-kin.
None can demote us,
Because this is the privilege of us geniuses!

So go away, we don't want anyone messing with this gate."
 the two proudly said towards the Bristle family while giving Estel the thumbs up.

Estel felt their irritation as she felt their annoyance towards the two.
The royal family was displeased by their words, but Estel could only exhale at the situation while apologizing to them.

The Bristle family soon later left the room with Leanne and her sons to avoid suspicion from the guards.

While the door opened Seid soon entered the room.
Noticing the displeased look on their faces.
He then understood what happened as he explained to Estel.
"Don't worry, they may be a jerk but they usually shut up once the captain is nearby."

Both of them swiftly replied.

"That's the only man."

"We do not want."

"To piss off."

 The two said as their word connect.
Estel retorts to them.

"And yet you two seems friendlier with my sister and mother."

"Those two gives us treats sometimes.
If you give us some good stuff to eat, maybe we will be buddies too!"

Estel could only give the two a blank look.
"Are they usually like this?"

Seid simply exhaled with a tired expression.
"You don't know the half of it."

But Estel felt familiarity in his voice as she approached him with curiosity.
Seid who is currently in an armor wiggled in worry and pain.
As his body remained aching from the weight of his armor.
She then asked.

"Why does your voice sound familiar?"

He then made a quick reply.

"My body is aching right now.
Mending your body took a toll on me.
Please don't get too close right now."

Estel then realized, her body that was recently in pain was no longer feeling such heavyweight.

"You were the one who healed me?
Thank you very much!" giving him a bow with her gratitude she then said.

"But wearing this kind of armor in such a state is a terrible decision.
Your going to get yourself in an accident." her concern for the person who helped her soon took over her. As she pulls his hand toward the bed in the corner of the room.
He then sat with his armor as she tries to pull his helmet.
But he stopped her with his own hands.

He then retorted to her action.
"This was your main intention wasn't it?"

Estel had an agitated look, while calmly saying.
"No, this is just my way of showing gratitude.
Also what kind of person wears heavy armor,
while having their body is completely exhausted?"

He then retorts,
"This is a part of my training!
and also..."

He then finally cried out.
"STOP PULLING IT!"

As he reached one of his hand towards Estel's hand one of her arms then went limp.

"Eh?" to her surprise

She then let's go as he fell into the bed.
The twin then said to her.
"He doesn't like anyone looking at his face."

"You better give up now princess,"
"Or else he might paralyze your whole body and do something nasty to you."

He then retorts to the twins.
"Shut up!" As he turned to her in response.

"It's harmless and temporary.
Just don't pull my helmet." he explained to her.

As her arm went limp as she tried to move it, she then observed it.
Only to understand, that he used magic.
She felt her hand senses slowly returning as she moved away from him.

She then apologized.
"Sorry, didn't know you were that serious.
I was only curious because your voice sounded familiar."

As she told him in a distance.
But then asked again.
"Tell me, have we met before?"

He shook his head as it rattled.

"I see..." She could only exhale while walking towards the door.
Giving him a farewell as she said.
"Then thanks for the help."

With a small *Thud* on the door.

One of the twins then said.

"What a coward."

"She will eventually find out anyways Seid."

He retorts once again towards the twins.
"Shut Up!"

"Argh..."

With his body still aching the two could only giggle as they received a pack of meal from the servants, commanded by the mistress herself.

I forgot to scan the chapter for errors.
It was too late when I checked =3="

38