Chapter 6: I became the princess personal maid. ಥ_ಥ
2.3k 12 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What should we do with her?" Lana asked.

Estel right now was completely out-cold in the middle of the princess room.
They used a sofa that Leanne often used to her visitors.
While the two continued to plan their next move.

"Nothing." was her answer.

"You don't intend to tell your mother about this?"

"Mother can wait.
First, we need to ask her questions but looking at her sorry-state right now."

"..."

"..."

The two continued to gaze at the young maid who collapsed the moment her actual name was called. Lana could only sigh.

[I feel sorry for this girl.
To be abruptly be found in mere days after all that effort to hide.
It's not surprising she'd collapse from shock.]

Lana turns to look at the princess.
she had an excited expression while she bit her right thumb and her left was around her waist.
As expected of the genius daughter of the palace.

Since the very moment, Lady Leanne was  born
She was a girl who enjoyed puzzles.
Her perfect memory outfitted with a sharp wit made her popular amongst the noble houses that her father received a lot of marriage application that he had to burn the whole stock-pile of them.

Even as a child she was quite...
Unique in a sense that both her brother and father feared her sense of curiosity.
Her mother was the only who was completely indifferent with her though.

At the age of 8 she discovered her elder brother's Lance, hidden book mechanically tucked away underneath his drawer. The reason? she was puzzled by how there was still space underneath, while the top is full of his studying books. Curiosity took hold of her as she searches the drawer for something she thought was treasure only to discover what underneath it was lewd drawings, not one... Not two... but a pile of them were kept in there.

Her brother who returned swiftly went pale the moment he saw her with a bunch paper laid down on the floor glancing at where it came from he froze from shock as he saw her.

She innocently asked, "Brother what are these?".
He then persuaded her to keep it a secret in exchange for candies or even his time in return.
Realizing the importance of what she found had completely changed her brother.

A strange switch was pulled inside her mind.

It was at this moment she became obsessed with solving mysterious puzzles around her.

At the age of 9.
She noticed strange occurrences in the parties thrown by her parents were happening.
Missing necklace and jewelry were found missing.
The princess simply pointed out the details of the robber and in a few moments...
A servant brought by one of the noble houses were the cause.

At the age of 10.

She revealed every embarrassing detail of her family and brother during dinner after they tried to force her to learn the history of her own predecessor saying it's a waste of time and nothing interesting in it except for the hidden dungeon underneath the palace.

[To be simple...
She blacked mailed all of them with a bright cheerful smile of a young girl.]

This finally nailed the coffin in her household.
Lady Leanne was no ordinary girl and was given special attention from her family.

From 11-15 she was somehow tricked to learn the queen's education planned by her family in secret. Out of fear that she will somehow use her own knowledge to reject it.
Using simple psychology and reasoning they were able to successfully reason with her.
Her teachers were simply relieved by their efforts.
As even they had begun to fear her.

As for the years that happened by then...
Let's just say she caused a lot of mischiefs that she earned the title: Leanne The Owl.
Due to her quiet and elegant look but also her ability to skillfully notice things around her.
Because of this, her family forbade her to join parties often held.
The possibility of chaos involving her mouth may occur until she had fully grown.

Her parents however also saw her curiosity as both.
A weakness [as it brought trouble quite often.]
and strength [as it often benefitted her.]

The two parents were worried about their daughter safety.
They sent Lana who the daughter of a lineage of knights to keep her safe in case she caught something dangerous that could possibly harm her.

And thus...
It actually happened.

"Lana how good are you at dealing against magic?" Leanne asked.

"I'm confident that I can cut her down the moment she tries pulls something."
Were her words.

Lana was a skilled swordswoman trained by her father,
But her story was a simple admiration to her siblings who were often training outdoors.
Her family allowed her to train, believing she will give up due to the regime and discipline required.

But to their dismay, she became even more infatuated with it as she slowly grew more skillful.
She aspired to become an adventurer to make her family proud by making a name for herself.

But her family were concerned for her safety, wishing for her to live a life as a lady instead.
However when news of the queen was searching for a lady swordsman to guard the princess.
Her family took the opportunity and sent their daughter as the guard while praying that she would learn from the princess and become a fine lady.

"Have you fought anyone that used magic before?" Leanne asked.

"I've fought against my brothers during our spar, they used magic as a part of their technique.
I can swiftly discern the ominous feeling from it."

"Does that mean you can use magic too!" she eagerly asked.

"Well, yes...
I can dispel magic that causes illusionary effects because I found them incredibly annoying.
As well as conjure a few ice spells.
Unfortunately, those are the only spells I know."

Leanne's eyes brighten, as she saw her guard were more than appearances.

"As expected of the guard my parents hired!"
She happily said.

"My parents were actually the one who pushed me to work with you..."

Leanne gave a wry smile as she said.
"Ah... that's right you wanted to become an adventurer.
My apologies."

"No... being your guard seems much more interesting."

While Lana patted her head, the both of them gazed at Estel who is soundly resting in her sofa.

________________________________________________________________________________

Estel Pov:
[Ah... I thought it was all a dream.
I thought it was all a lie.
I Thought I was completely safe after finally settling properly around the place as a maid.

How the heck did I end up like this!]

Chapter 6: I became the princess personal maid.

While drinking tea in a white chair within the princess room.
A day had already passed, her hair was a mess and her maid clothes were crumpled.
The Princess and her guard were calmly waiting for her answer.

"How long do you intend to stay as a maid?" was the princess question to her.

After sipping the hot tea her guard has prepared for her.
She then sighed.

"As soon as I managed to leave this place unnoticed.
But looking at my circumstances, it appears I was caught in the end." Calmly she said with a bitter smile.

Her usual fear was now gone, all that was left was her resignation of the reality that she was caught by the very princess herself.

"Tell me... why did you hide?
You could have simply just told my mother the truth."

"Truth?" giving her a raised eyebrow.

"That you're the daughter of a noble from the demon-kingdom."
Estel smiled as she put her hands covering her eyes.

[How did she found out?] She was puzzled at her answer but then...
[Well, it doesn't matter anyways.]
When she removed it, her silver eyes glimmered as the sun reflected it.
She then said.
"Well... not anymore."

"Huh?" the guard and princess said in wonder.

"I was thrown away without remorse,
Even If I were to return to that place...
I doubt they would welcome me back."

Estel then paused and added.

"No... I believe they would scorn me instead."

In surprise the two observed her intently,
She had a lonely look, yet still retaining her elegance as she gazed at her tea.

"Why would they!?" Leanne cried out.

"Because I am wingless," she replied

"..."

"..."

The two went silent as she further explained.

"The pride of the demon-kins is their wings, tail, and even the color of their skin.
But I am a half-blood born from a human and a demon that never shown any kind of those features aside from my eyes alone."

"But to cast aside their own family.
Are they so selfish to do such a thing?"

"I've already put a lid, on my sorrows.
There is no need for me to remember them.
The very people where I lived simply saw me as a stain.
Let's leave it at that..." she said to her in annoyance.

It was clear to them now that Estel did not wish to talk about the people of her own kingdom.

"You're awfully cooperative," Lana said to her.

Estel then retorts with the click of her tongue.
"Looking at how I haven't been dragged to meet the queen or king just yet.
Simply shows you haven't told them of my capture."

Estel turns sharply at Leanne.
And said with a serious face.
"So... what do you intend to do to me now?"

Leanne was pondering, thinking.
[An outcast amongst the noble lineage of demons?
I knew they abhor humans that making a connection with them was like oil and water.
But to think they would cast-aside even their own children?]

As she continues to observe Estel.
Her elegant and straight manner of speaking and talking were no doubt of nobility.
[If that is the case, then I can't use her at all!?
But then again...
She seems to have been educated properly enough that she might be useful in the future.
Having such a maid who has such elegance isn't too bad either.]

Leanne then revealed a grin on her face.

"How about working for me then?"

"Eeeeh!?" Lana's mouth opened wide in reaction to her request.

"My lady! you're not seriously going to hire her?"

Estel chocked a bit on her tea as she slams her hand on the table.
"Work for you? you are aware of what I am?" were her words while giving her a wry smile.
While clutching her chest.

"Exactly why I want you at my side." while brightly smiling she then said.
"Or would you prefer to be locked in the dungeon?"

[This... isn't a request at all.] as she realized her situation.

But the princess then giggled.

"Even if you managed to escape this place, what will you do out there without a home?"

"I can manage." she confidently said

"That's just blind sophistry." She harshly said then bluntly said these words.
"The people outside this palace isn't as kind as the people you met here."

"Do you intend to sell yourself?"

Estel was flabbergasted.

"That's..."

Her expression pales, as she slowly understood her concern.
No one will give free food, shelter and other necessity for free.
Finding a job takes time and may not happen the way she wanted it to.
To be thrown outside without a single coin in hand is like rolling the dice.
[She had experienced it before...
She became a thief because of this.]

But even so...
she was optimistic that she can find a place outside the palace if given enough time.
But then recalled her terror of her own people as they only saw her as a failure.

At worst case, history will repeat itself and she will become thief again.
It was something she didn't want to happen again.

[Becoming a maid of the royal princess... doesn't come to just anyone either.]
As she analyzed her situation she then took the opportunity laid before her.

"Fine... I accept, as long as you don't make me do unreasonable demands." She reluctantly said.

The princess happily said.
"Horaay!" then turned to Lana with a letter already prepared.

"Lana, bring this message to the head maid."
Lana gives her a wry smile, about to ask her a question about the letter.
But then, simply shook her head and turned to Estel with a worried look.

"Princess Estel is a..."

"An outcast."

Estel was surprised, she was expecting the word Demon-kin.

"If you were to fear her all because of her race,
Then understand that there are also people who can be quite cruel as well." as she lectures her own guard.

Estel could only smile at her words.

"I doubt her words were lies,
She is a pretty good actor if she was able to deceive me so easily.
You should already know how sharp my eyes are... by now."

"Kuu..." Unable to retort she could only accept her words.

"Tell me... do you still doubt her?" The princess asked her a second time.

As Lana gazes at Estel who held silver eyes.
She then sighed, at the ridiculous situation she was in.

"Fine... but if she does something to you..."

Estel then agitatedly said.

"I was taught simple harmless defensive spells and nothing more.
Because of how my own people saw me, they didn't teach me anything else."

"..."

"..."
The two gazes at her waiting for more.

"Such as?"

"[Sleep], [Bind] and [Shape shifting]" As she told it to them.

"You can shapeshift?" the princess asked.

"Only my eyes...
I haven't exactly tried to alter my body in any way."

"That's boring! you should explore more!" The princess complained.

"I rather not fiddle with magic that could potentially have me stuck in a form that could get me killed!"

And thus...
The Estel became the princess personal servant.
But in her mind, these thoughts lingered.

[Seriously! What the hell is with this sudden development!?
I pray this princess won't push me to do something unreasonable.]
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I was unsure how to create this chapter.
So it took a while longer to finish it.
Note: if there are errors, sorry. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My grammar isn't the best.

47