Chapter 8: The Request of the queen was more troublesome than I expected.
2.1k 3 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meanwhile...

Riding a gigantic wyvern trained by their kingdom.
A total of five Knights were sent by the king are on their way to where Estel was sent.
It's been three weeks since Estel's disappearance carrying a device which guides them to the pendant Estel once held.

Those who investigated the incident discovered pieces of the jewel on the ground where the battle happened which are now used as a source to trace her location.

The people sent were known as Shadow Knights.
Recorded as the most powerful soldiers in history,
A group of them is capable of annihilating an army if provoked.
Feared as reapers in the battlefield and elites of the king.

"Seriously! why does the king care so much for that filthy wingless brat!"
A grey-skinned knight said wearing a dark coat around his body.

"Shut up!
This is a direct order from the king himself!"
A young man retorts to his complaints,
his clothes hide most of his features except the brown color of his skin.
He held his sword tightly while about draw it until a man shouted from behind.

"Seid!?" the sound of an old man can be heard.

"The King entrusted us with the mission to return her in one piece!
Not squabble amongst ourselves." as the captain lectured him he only could click his tongue.

"Tch!" While gazing away from the gray-skinned knight.

But another knight added.

"Weren't you the guy who got rejected by her?"

"She didn't reject me, I was barred away."

"Isn't that the same thing?"

"..."

Seid was silent, he was furious yet felt a weight of guilt inside him.
Another of the knight then said.

"Isn't that brat better off dead though?
Even the commander I served in the castle was complaining about that child after all."

Seid gazed at the knight with bloodlust
But before he could complain and draw his sword.
His captain hand blocked his hilt and stood in front of him.

He drew a large pole-arm behind his back and pointed his weapon at him.

"You HERETIC!?" He shouted.

Everyone in the back of a wyvern was readying their sword in terror as he exuded a malicious aura around him. Seid was confused about why the captain of the knight was furious.

"The king sent us here on a mission to return his daughter in one piece!
Are you saying you will KILL HER just for your foolish whims!"

"I apologize!
I was careless!
I never said anything about killing her!"
The knight then kneeled as he knew to duel the knight captain was practically suicide.
He was regarded as one of his strongest knight recognized by of the demon-king himself.
His history of the battle against monsters and people alike made him a legend amongst his men.

The man then heard the sound of cloth as his weapon was then sheathed.

"Let this be a warning to all of you!"

"If any of you fools dare to go against our mission.
I will not hesitate to cut you #!@*^& down!
AM I CLEAR!?"

"Yes, Sir!".

Seid could only felt admiration at the captain as he watched him protect the honor of his king.
As they journeyed on to the only clue they had...
________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 8: The Request is more troublesome than I expected.

[It's been three weeks since the moment I have arrived here.
Her Highness and the princess decided to keep my identity a secret.
They simply believed I was from a duke house of the demon-kingdom.

If they knew that truth...
Well, I don't think that these two will look at me the same way ever again.
Though they look at me with pitiful eyes of an abandoned puppy as Leanne and Lana seem to be spoiling me lately. Telling me to call them by their name.

I prefer to keep a distance as I intended this role to be a temporary one.
A certain fact still troubled me.
And that is how am I suppose to live outside this palace?

The journey to the unknown is a very scary thing.
I'm glad that, they were the first to find me.
 
Someday... I'll repay them for their kindness for letting me stay here.

Though that repayment became more troublesome than I thought.
The Queen's request has finally arrived to haunt me.
I knew it wasn't just a simple request.]

______________________________________________________________________________

"Finally! I'm about to be free from this stupid education."

Were Leanne's first words the moment lunch has arrived.

"What do you mean being finally free?" Estel asked her with a wry smile.
But before she could say more of what she mean't.

The taste of the tea made by Estel baffled them.

Right now, they are in the courtyard.
Eating their daily meal.
Estel has provided them with her mixed herbs unique to her past life,
by borrowing the palace kitchen's ingredients and a little bit of help from the gardeners.

It was her way of thanking Leanne and Lana for keeping her past a secret.

"What the hell is this!?" Lana and Leanne shouted.

It was a simple tea herb in her time known as Oolong milk Tea which wasn't invented yet.
It gave out a unique new taste for Leanne who loved surprises.
Giving a creamy texture while providing a buttery flavor.
She was confused at what it was made out of as she couldn't determine what kind of tea it was.

As for Lana, who loves sweets,
she found some chamomile flowers in the gardens.
Asking the gardener's for them, then borrowing some honey and apple in the kitchen.
Estel went her way to surprise her with a brand new sweet taste.
As she often simply drink simple tea herbs with added sugar which can get bland.
 
But little did Estel know her action will no doubt ensue chaos.

"Estel!?" both of them shouted her name in surprise.
As she swiftly blocked both of their mouths with her hands.

"The both of you calm down!" she complained.
As the two then slowly sat down in their chair in silence while gazing at her with piercing eyes.

"This kind of tea is too delicious." were Lana's words.

"What is this? it's a strange taste yet... it tastes good?" Leanne confusion deepens.

The two then swapped teacups as they drank it.
After a few moments, they gazed at Estel like starving wolves.
She gave both of them a wry smile.

"You better explain what kind of magic did you do with this tea."

Estel came prepared as she gave both of them the instruction to make the tea she provided them.

"Let this be my gift for allowing someone like myself to remain here." she politely said to them.
Lana could not help but hug her in response while Leanne had a jealous look.

"You've only been my maid for a week now.
It's like your telling me you're going to leave soon." Leanne gave Estel a sharp look.
But Estel denies it.

"No! That's not it."

"Of course not!
She will stay with us forever right?" Lana said while snuggling her soft cheeks.

[Forever? Ugh... have mercy.
I just want to sit somewhere and handle a small tea shop or something.] Estel thought.

"Hmm...
We could always have her adopted into my family." as Leanne thought of this.

Estel retorted cried out.
"Absolutely not!"
As the three continued their daily life.
A servant carrying a message arrived telling them to meet her majesty in the dressing chambers.
Estel was feeling uneasy as they went to the chambers of the palace.
________________________________________________________________________________

“You must wear this.” Were the queen’s words written in the letter.

In front of Estel servants with cheerful faces but underneath those smile are hungry wolves that seemed to have seen their prey.
Lana and Leanne were amazed at what they were looking at.

The servants were carrying beautiful garments of maid clothing that were made with the finest cloth.
Its smooth texture shined while its darker color shined.
Coupled with the elegant color of purple despite being designed as a maid-outfit.

Estel looked at it with a worried expression.
As it simply looked out of this world.

Estel froze as she gazed at it.
“Isn’t… this a bit too much?”

“Her Royal Highness demands it, Estel,” Lana said.
Leanne, however, understood her mother’s action and simply nodded to her.

But then a girly voice of a man was then heard from the room.
“An elegant dress for an elegant maid.” was what he said.

A woman in a beautiful dress then appeared.
His hair had a color of green, he had a body that shaped like a woman.
Even his face was a woman!
The only thing giving him away was his... voice.

Estel's face froze upon seeing it.
It reminded her of a past-life whenever she had to deal with make-up.
The only one that could help her was a man.
She was ashamed that even during those time in life that even a man surpassed her in caring for their outer appearances more than her.
It was a shameful event in her life she wanted to be forgotten but recalled it, instead.

But she felt fortunate that she couldn't properly remember the person face or name.

"You must be the personal maid, her majesty talked about.
I've already received your sizes when you complained about the size of your clothes."

Indeed Estel's stolen clothes from Sara were a little too tight.
She requested a new set and prayed for Sara to forgive her.
If she somehow discovers that she was the culprit of her stolen maid clothes.

"My name is Happei, a pleasure to meet you girls and also your highness."
He said with a cheerful smile on his face while bowing to the princess.

Leanne then introduced him to Estel.
"Happei is our weaver and clothmaker.
He makes quite elegant clothes to the extent, he was personally hired here by my mother.
Though my father and brother don't seem to like his taste."

"Hey!? Those two hooligans simply doesn't understand the taste of my elegance!"

But Estel gave him a wry smile her thought then wondered.
[Uwaah... this guy is totally a nut-case to say that!
So bluntly...
How the heck does this guy keep his head I wonder?]

She then looks towards Lana and Leanne who seems used to his shenanigans and laughing at his words.
As they began to converse.

"Lana, did you throw your old dress away?" He complained.

"I simply have no chance to use it.
After all Lady Leanne is banned from entering any party until her parents decide she is ready."

Happie then responded to her words.
"Since when will Lady Leanne be ready though after that whole charade she pulled."

"Right! Ha-ha-ha-ha." Lana laughed as Happei followed.
Leanne was fiddling her hands while looking away at them in embarrassment.
Estel was curious and could only watch them while gazing at the dress in worry.

As soon as the two finally finished.
Estel then voiced her complaints.

“Won’t this draw too much unnecessary attention?
I'm a servant and your the princess?
Aren't I supposed to be a part of the scenery instead!”

“Are you saying you want the chosen servant of the princess?" was his question

Leanne added.
"There's no way that can happen.
Even I won't accept it!” as she rejects her complaints.

“That's not it! it's just...” Estel grimaced at a certain fact.
It would be strange for a princess to not stand-out.
But for her maid to stand-out as well? Was what bothered her.

“It’s too late to refuse this already.
You dug yourself into this too deeply already.
When you promised to her majesty.”
As Lana shrugged and grinned at her.

“Are you displeased with the color of purple?
Shall we ask a new one that pairs that fit your silver eyes instead?”
Leanna said with a worried look.

The servants swiftly trembled with worry, as the princess she said those words.
Happie was looking away observing Estel's movement.

“If we did that… doesn’t that mean your servant will struggle to make this again?”

“No worries, our kingdom is rich in materials across the lands.”
As she then explained to Estel where she was.

Regarded as the City of Trade: Bristle
Withholding many islands and ports.
It became a hot-spot for trade for both traders by sea and land.
The Royal family of Bristle put their hard-work along with its long history in managing its finances and defending their territory that it became a popular city of commerce.

“Isn’t Bristle a strange name for a city-state?”

“This place used to be a land of dispute fought by many kingdoms due to its rich land and position.

After my ancestors finally had enough of the dispute they took advantage of the chaos by being merchants of war.
They watched two countries duke it out one another, as they controlled the trade of supplies from the shadows.
When both sides were too weak and no longer able to continue.

My ancestor finally made their move as they conquered both armies using their own trained army.
Then using that moment they built a fortress known now as Bristle the palace we live in.” Leanne summarized it in great detail.

“Eh? this place was called Bristle?” she happily nodded to Estel.

“I hate the rest of history regarding this place though.
Let’s not talk about how this fortress slowly turned into a palace.
As my ancestor became.
Too drunk with power and riches.”

Estel gave her a wry smile, while Lana's face twitched.

“Your Highness…
I beg of you...
please don’t say that in public.” Lana said with worrying eyes.

After all, it was a dark history of their nation.
Of how the the impenetrable fortress bristle turned into a palace.

...
...
...

A few moments passed by…
Estel had finally worn the clothing made for her.

Leanne and Lana's expressions were.
“Uwaaah...”

“She looks more like a princess of maids now.” Were Lana’s honest thoughts.

Estel gave a wry smile while feeling completely worn out.
Happei then asked her.

“Are there any discomfort?”

“None, but aren’t these clothes a bit too flashy for a maid?” was her complaint.

“It is a rare request to make such beautiful cloth for a maid.
Since it is a personal request from her majesty herself.
I placed my best effort into designing it."
While adding.
"An elegant maid-dress for a dark-blue haired beauty with shining eyes that fits the stars in the night.
Was her majesty request of me.”

He then snapped his finger as the servants around them closed the windows.

Everything went dark as the color of Estel's clothes had begun to shine.

Estel's face stiffened as she noticed the change.
From a dark color of purple to a unique silver color.
The maid-dress had become a beautiful dress in her shock.

"What the heck is this!" She cried out while complaining.

The dress her-majesty asked was more troublesome that she had expected.
She could no longer reject the maid clothes and accept them as the queen wished for it.
And followed the rule of a maid-dress code.

Though she worries what kind of trouble the dress will bring to her in the future.

As she sighed at the future ahead of her seemed to have been set-up the moment she received it.

My comedy quality is dropping due to the story!
NOOooooo...
Due to how gloomy Estel's history is...
It can't be helped!
WRYYYYY!?

But that comedy will come sooner or later.
Come on brain, I know you can do it!

Note: made a typo on the color.
Estel hair is technically dark-blue despite wearing purple maid-dress.

42