Chapter 46: A bit of practice and Accepting Losses.
1.1k 7 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I only realized a fact just now.
My hair remained silver regardless of what I do.
When did this start I wonder?

As she thought of these words, she then recalled it.
"It began after I used light magic." was her suspicion.

To which Aisha swiftly explained.
"Your dragon attribute is Light.
Naturally, the moment you use light magic.
Your blood will undoubtedly respond."

[Just as I thought.] as she deeply sighed.

As I ran towards the rooftop where my grandfather was waiting,
though I never expected I'd be alone up there.

"I can see you have found someone to help you with your problem."

Her grandfather said as he gazed at her brown hair.
Able to swiftly determine Estel through her height and size alone.
He then asked.

"But where are the other's that are usually with you?"

Estel could simply shrug while shaking her head in response.

"Well... I suppose we can begin our training here.
Let's try and see if you can manage your to control the output of your spells."

Estel was soon subjected to training her ability to control it.
From afternoon till dusk she trained for quite some time.
During those hours, she then asked him.

"Where's Seid?
He is usually here when we were training."

"I sent him away to send a message and also an errand.
He won't be coming back after a few days."

Which Estel simply said while practicing.
"I see..."

...

...

...

As the sound of humming coming from a ball of light, she had conjured up.
As it shined upon her hand while trying to not pull out too much of her strength into it.
She could only hear the breeze of wind and calmness that soothed her mind.

[It's quiet.] as she turned to her grandfather a question she recently recalled.

"Grandfather..."

"Hm?"

"Can you tell me about the treaty regarding the other races?
For what I recall in my studies, you were the one who created the treaty.
If I am not mistaken..."

He grinned a bit to her while he said.
"Yes, the treaty after their attempt to invade the nation of our kingdom.
Apparently, this treaty function to prevent needless war between our race and the others around our home.
But that doesn't mean that the treaty alone can stop their race from attacking us.

Which was why I made a large number of clauses in it."

"Clauses?"

He then replied.

"It's a bit complicated if I were to cite them out.
Better to make a simple example.

If a demon-kin were discovered by humans but were attacked believing it was a monster.
That demon-kin is permitted to kill such people in their defense.
The same rule applies to any humans as well.

The reason for this clause was because.
Rouge, banditry and other things happen often within the many nations including ours.
We cannot simply claim another nation had attacked our people without proper evidence that their nation was the ones who committed the act.

There is also another clause.
If a demon-kin decided to rampantly cause chaos within the human territory, however.
They would lose the protection which our treaty withheld and will be subjected to human laws.
But if any nation were to gather up an army and assault a family of demons within our nation or outside of it.

Only then would it be a crime within the treaty of our kingdom.
Those who survived such encounters can come to our kingdom and beg for justice from our nation that had broken our treaty. But should the place be too far, it becomes a pointless endeavor if it turns out to be a lie.

So sending a few scouts to confirm their existence are brought to the fold.
Before the shadow knights are sent out to deal with such a bothersome nation."

He then explained to Estel.

"There is a reason, why it was forbidden for demon-kins to leave our kingdom without any sort of permission or emblem of our nation. There are required training for them to defend themselves in order to raise their odds of survival.

If I were to make it simpler.

It's a treaty to prevent nations from conjuring up an army or a mob of citizen from causing unnecessary bloodshed, all because of small differences.
It will not stop all of them, but it should keep the educated ones at a close watch.
In case something like that does happen."

Estel then asked him a question.
"Doesn't that mean, the strongest one will always win?"

He nods to her question but with an explanation.
"Being strong isn't everything.
Being quick on your toes and swift enough to escape is also an option.
If the attacker be it human or demon failed to do any of it.

Then it is simply their fault for wandering this world without learning any kind way's to survive such encounters.

Which is why becoming strong is such an important aspect in our lives in order to defend ourselves.
Being aware of your surrounding is also important.

Just remember...
You can also capture them and present them to human enforcers is also an option.
Though, I only do such a thing when I am seeking a reward or information within their lands."

Estel then asked.

"What if they don't believe me?
What if they started twisting the truth."

Her grandfather then smiled with a sinister dark aura around him.
"If that is the case, then I'll be sure to gouge out their entrail's and spread it all in front of them."

Estel then complained to him with an annoyed expression.
"I'm talking about myself!
If I somehow started exploring the world."

He then smiled.
"Do you intend to explore the world then?
I don't think your family will allow it..."

She then fidgetted a bit as she revealed a troubled expression.
As he then replied to her expressions.
"Then try and learn to learn how to fly, at least.
If you truly wish to be free from your father's men.

Being able to fly is quite a convenient tool of escape " he said.

Upon hearing those words, Estel swiftly declines.
As he complained asking "Why!?"
Estel simply said, while making an excuse.
 
"It's better to keep these wings hidden while changing how I look.
Using my wings will only draw too much attention and possibly drew in incredibly dangerous individuals that I rather not deal with!? "

Which he could somewhat agree with her words.
Especially now that there are a group of people within the academy hunting for her.

As the day ended, she returned to her room with her grandfather escorting her.
Leanne and Lana were already in their rooms upon their arrival.

Explaining to her they were busy after she had fled.
But she then requested her grandfather.

"Please permit Estel to come with us to a party three day's from now." were her words.

He accepted her offer but in one condition.
Estel must wear a specific dress which her mother specifically ordered for such occasions.
With him tagging along of course.

Estel tried to stop their conversation desiring no part of it.
But Leanne and Lana were smiling with a grin on their faces as her father soon revealed it to them.
A silver dress sparkling white color, it exposed the back and shoulders while also showing elegance in its design. As Leanne and Lana gazed at it, then turned to her like hungry wolves.

Her grandfather swiftly left the scene as she was forcefully dressed by them.
Her elegant looks revealing her fair skin, possessing a slender figure despite her short size.

The emblem of the demon-kingdom was presently visible at the center of her chest.
Making it incredibly elegant as the cloth covered her chests as it reaches around her neck.
With her eyes matching it, but to their dismay.
 
Her current brown hair oddly clashed with the clothes.

Leanne then asked.
"How on earth did you turn your hair into that color?"

"I... I found some dyes.
Don't ask where." were her excuse.
Hiding Jake's work to avoid them from prying what happened between them.

Lana and Leanne had curious gazes at her as they soon turned to ready the baths.
Estel soon removed her clothes and hanged them in a dresser.
She followed the group with a towel at hand,
However, another problem has occurred during their bath.

Apparently, the coloring agent which Jake had applied to her hair is merely a temporary solution.
Water and soap seem to wash them off...

Her cry of frustration as the next day soon dawned with Estel asking the two for a favor that day.
To go seek out Jake for his dyes, which they later pried out what happened from her.

In order to make Jake believe them, she had mentioned it was fine to tell  Jake the truth regarding her name. Leanne and Lana could simply giggle as they teased her.

"Oh, Estel is finally warming up to a man?"

She could only reveal an embarrassed expression in response.
While retorting: "I'm only responding to the faith he had given me!"
As they left the room with smiles on their faces.
Estel was left in the room, waiting for their return.
________________________________________________________________________________

-Meanwhile in the Council of the Demon Kingdom.-

"Your majesty, how long do you intend to waste our precious time on that child!?"

One of the members showing a single large horn in his head cried out.

Another then said with a calm and intelligent voice.

"To create a gate connecting to humans is never a good idea.
If they were able to study and imitate it, you of all people should know the consequence."

Finally, the Frost Queen Dragon who is second to his power then said.

"I advice bringing her back to the castle post-haste, so we can assess her value as a candidate.

If she truly is...
What you claim she is,
Then there is still purpose in her if she is deemed unworthy, such as restoring one of our lost clan."

However, another dragon race retorted to her words.
"Are you mad!
She has human blood running in her veins.
If you're telling me to restore the lost clan with such taint inside her.

Then her children will only bring shame to our kingdom!"

As voices then echoed of other races soon raised their complaint to he
The frost queen could only glare at them in response as she released a blood lust towards them.
as those who spoke up were swiftly silenced.

Inside the council, every leader of their race is free to voice their opinions.
Fighting is not permitted, but debates and requests are allowed.

One fair rule is given to the place.
Which was to remain silent if the Demon-king requested it.
However, threatening gazes or releasing killing intent to pressure them is permitted.
As long as it does not possess an intensity for someone to have a heart attack.

"Your majesty, please reconsider!
We are wasting precious resource by keeping a gate open to that place.
There is only three possible gate's we can use!"

________________________________________________________________________________

Indeed, the Gate is a powerful portal which allows for long distance transportation of troops and resources.
Often used for trades and transportation to further increase the wealth of their nation.
It is one of a kind device which their country holds in great secrecy.

Using specific magical symbols and the right coordinates, one can transport important things to an important location.
However, it required a large number of fully charged mana crystals which are both used as currency and a source of power within their land to use it.

Goblins that are often found are used as guinea pigs to test the portal to avoid unnecessary loss.
While also taking at least 24 hour's to fully replace the used crystals and restock it.

Constantly using it without gaining anything is undoubtedly a wasteful endeavor.
________________________________________________________________________________

As the sound of the door opening.
A voice of a young girl then echoed within the room.

"Do we really have time to argue about this?
Even if she truly does hold the blood of the white dragon.
Our current situation right now is dire.

Our movement are currently sealed by an unknown assailant lurking in this place.

Even if we did successfully managed to bring her back.
She is technically untrained and incapable of properly defending herself.
Thanks to you jerks constantly perceiving her as a threat."

The person who said those words were none other than Esla who had arrived.

With sharp words, she had struck swift cut to their tongues unable to retort to her words.
Her father could only deeply sigh as she approached him with two letters in hand.
________________________________________________________________________________
Upon confirming the discovery of Estel's true origin as a half-blooded white dragon.
The whole council was a huge mess of constant bickering and pointing fingers.
On the day of her disappearance, the council rejoiced but soon turned to discover it as a huge loss.

Her scales can break any curse, her light can heal without any price except her strength.
Capable of performing a miracle of saving a person from the grip of death.
Such an attractive person just slipped through their fingers in a mere instant,
all because they were blinded by their own prejudice.

Those few who tried to support Estel were furious upon this discovery.
Which nearly broke out in a heated battle amongst the leaders.
But her father swiftly put a swift halt to all of them.

Only a bitter emotion was what everyone felt as they heard the news from Esla and her mother.
That the young lass no longer wished to return home.

But as her father opened the letter that Esla reached out to him.
He noticed a note as it said:

[What A Mess You Fools Just Did.]

Written in thick text with his brush.
As he noticed the magical presence around it, he activated the spell as his voice echoed in his head.
________________________________________________________________________________

"My Son.
What a mess this truly is...
If I was still King in that throne,
I would undoubtedly go on a rampage and execute every person in that council for punishing this child.
All because of a simple miscalculation.

To think the Moonlight will descend once again.
Especially now, that the Silver race had been cleanly wiped out.
The odds of one being born is at least nil to nothing now.
You are fortunate that she does not harbor any grudges towards our home.

A dragon of light that heralded the dark attribute.
It does not matter what race her other half is...
The fact she carried the attribute only means she is capable of unleashing devasting power.
Capable of annihilating a country in a single breath.

You should already know what that symbolizes.

The Legends and Tales about them.
Are All Undoubtedly True.

The oldest demon-lord who lived as a Moonlight was the one who shaped our nation and
vanquished every human that tried to turn themselves into a living god for their own selfish desires.

That person stopped our race from turning into living cattle for their experiments.
Think what would happen if Estel grows in the future and capable of wielding such power?

Tyr laughed a bit as he said those words.

Well... it doesn't matter.
Due to her bitter past.
She does not, wish to return home anymore.

Nor do I feel any kind of ambition within her to become a Queen.
I am teaching her as she grows, but it is a slow process.
She lacks any basic understanding and knowledge regarding magic.

But fortunately, I am not alone in teaching her.
Her familiar appear's to have taught her a variety of things which allowed her growth to extend further.
Unfortunately, like a child, she is still struggling and cannot properly control her ability.

I'll keep watch of her in your stead.

One day, perhaps...
She will return and claim her rightful place as the Empress of our kingdom.
Or she will live a peaceful life with a human and enjoy her life with her own children.

I look forward to seeing it.
The future she will carve.
When she becomes strong enough to awaken the egg of her own grandmother.
Perhaps we will see the light of our race, Once again.
________________________________________________________________________________

As he heard the last of his words.
The letter began to form as it burned.
The word:
Glory To Our Ancestors.

Were visible for a few seconds then instantly turned to ashes.

"Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha..."

The Demon King began to laugh as he stood from his chair with wide eyes.

While smiling and furious, a mix of emotion which made him look like he was going insane.
Then sat again in his chair with a frustrated expression.

Those who gazed at him trembled and worried.
It was rare for the demon king to simply laugh with such emotion.

He then turned to all his Aide.
As he laughed like a madman in front of them.

"Ha-ha-ha-ha!"

One of them steps forward and asked him.
"Is there a problem with our king?"

His gaze then turned into fury as he gazed at everyone with powerful killing intent.
He covered his eyes restraining himself from going on a rampage.
"Seriously, how did it end up like this.
Why did such a thing happen?"

None of those in the council understood his words.
As he removed the cover of his eyes, there were tear's that showed disappointment.
He turned to Esla while she smiled at his words.

"Looking at that smug face of yours, it appears you received his letter as well?"

She nods to her father in response showing a gleeful face to him.

"Regardless, the loss of this nation had already been made."

As he said those words, everyone within the room were puzzled.
Mumblings such as [Loss] had begun to spread.

He then made a declaration.
"None, will touch the gate.
That is our only connection to her, should anyone break this wish of mine.
I will hereby execute them with my own hands!"

It was at that moment, the council talk regarding the gate concern Estel were sealed.

________________________________________________________________________________

// A person of Interest. //

As the council meeting was adjourned the frost queen dragon had requested him to speak privately in his quarters.

She then asked.
"That letter which Esla had given you, possessed the emblem of the former demon-king.
And guessing from how you suddenly became adamant concerning your youngest daughter.
Only means you have discovered something about her.
For the king himself to be calling it a Loss."

He then asked her.

"You are oddly interested all of a sudden.
Tell me, what do you intend to do.
If her value could inadvertently bring prosperity to our kingdom?"

To her respond.
"Then I will swiftly enter the gate and persuade her to return.
It would be foolish to simply throw away such an important person.
After all the effort placed to find her."

But her father swiftly rejected her.
"That is unnecessary.
If you were to go there, you will simply trigger the anger of my father."

"Hey, wait?
The former demon-king's letter and connection to your daughter.
Is it possible that he is personally protecting that child of yours?"

The Demon king nods to her in response.

"My stubborn father that refused to move.
Actually sought her out with his own interest in mind.
He is now teaching her personally as his teacher."

"Te-teaching her personally?" she shuddered with confusion at such a thought.

He then replied to her,

"If you seek to find out, the reason.
Then speak to him, yourself.
I've received news that the gate was opened recently by one of his apprentices.
If you go there now and catch up to him.
You should be able to speak to him and see my daughter in person."

"Do you not wish to visit your own daughter?" he replied with a groan.

"We are currently hunting a threat that caused quite a mess within the castle.
As much as I wished to go and apologize as her father.
I cannot abandon my duties as the king of this nation."

While saying those words, the frost queen bowed to him with respect then swiftly fled the room.

He then cried out to her.
"I advice, You do not anger my grandfather.
You should know full well, that he is stronger than me in every aspect." As she nods to him in response then closed the door.

She had a smile that gleamed with intrigue and interest as she walked toward the room where the Gate Resided in.
As she soon met Seid who was waiting for Estel's Ornament replacement.

 

=3= So much lore...
Don't worry guys and gals, Crazy fun chapters.
Will soon arrive.
Eventually...
[BRAIN! DO SOMETHING!]

27