S2 – Chapter 13: Escape and Resolution.
640 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

// A Fathers Redemption. //

Day: 5 in the demon-kingdom.
Time: Morning.

There was two large explosion that echoed within the castle.
A lone man walks out of a room where the explosion came from, crowd of servant with buckets of water rushed inside the room. While he light a cigarette and puffed a few smokes before a knight came to complain to him.

『Your majesty!』

『HAVE YOU GONE INSANE!』

His knights cried out to him yet he ignored it.
He broke the machine known as the *Gate*.
All three portals were now unusable and repair will undoubtedly lasts for a month or so...

He smiled at his servants and said with glowing dark eyes.

『No, this is what I should have done from the beginning.』

『Why did I give up on that child so soon, I wonder?』

『If only I had done things differently.
I wouldn't have to resort to this...』

His eyes were full of regrets but he was left with no other choice...
The man who questioned him were puzzled of what that meant.

Scowling at him he turns to assist to quell the flames inside of it.

Fire blazes in the room where the flames were slowly extinguished by his people.
His daughter Esla who was nearby came to see the explosion only to overhear his word with the servant.

『Father! what's going on!』

He walks to her and placed his hand on her head.

『Doing what I should have done sooner...』

『I pray that your sister will live happily.』

As Esla heard it, her face showed a shocked expression.

『Eh?』was her response.

As she thought about it for a few moment, she then cracked a wide smile.

『Hey, won't the frost queen be furious about this?』

『It's not only the frost queen to worry about,
I believe the whole council will be complaining a lot in my ear's for quite some time.
Even if I told them, they are too deaf to even listen to a word I say anyways.』

She giggled in response as they walked together with his daughter heading towards to his office carrying a fierce yet gentle smile written on his face.

...

...

...

________________________________________________________________________________

// What the heck just happened? //

Her grandfather casually strolled inside the palace after he used the gate.
Shadow Knights saluted as they saw him carrying a barrel of wine.

Where he nods to them and wandered the palace hall of Bristle.

He soon made a sharp turn and searched for the storage shed where he placed the barrel there.

A few knocks on the barrel lid he then said.

『It's fine to come out now, Estel.』

*Pop!*
The barrel lid came off as it made a rolling sound on the floor.

『Puuuuhaaa!』She took a deep breath.

Estel right now came out of a barrel full of wine.
She wore little to no clothes and hid most of it on her own shadow.

Her grandfather aware of this gazed away and went towards the exit to guard it.

But the purpose of this was to distort the demon-kins keen senses.
Wine were strong conductor to mana allowing Estel to go undetected while inside it.
While also providing a cover for her own scent which the skillful guard can detect.
The downside however...

Dripping wet she came out of it buck naked with the scent of wine stuck to her body.
She then said.

『I'm not sure what the heck just happened to my father but...』

『I'm finally freeeeee-』she joyfully said.

She rejoiced but as her eyes turn to a corner there was someone hiding inside the storage shed with her, where the both of them gazed at one another.

Estel was frozen in shock while the person hidden there covered its eyes.

Like a robot Estel pulled out a piece of towel from her own shadow and covered herself before approaching the hidden figure. As she moved the barrel's she saw a young maid shaking and covering her eyes that she could easily recognize.

It was Saya, the poor maid she first met in the palace.

...

...

...

After dressing myself up.

The word "Luria" woke her from her senses as Estel introduced herself.
She then asked her.

『Why did you came out of the barrel?
And what happened to your hair and eyes.

Are you really Luria?』

Cautious and distrusting but she was too shaken and she looked like she would believe anything.
She made a deep sigh and said.

『Long story. 』

『But what about you?
Why the heck are you hiding in this storage shed in the palace with the barrels?』

『It's a long story as well...』

As the two said the same words the both breathed in deeply giving a sigh.
She then explained herself to her.

Apparently Saya who had worked in the palace was peacefully living in it.
But accident, after accident, after accident came one after another.

The palace was attacked by the undead.
Demon-kins known as the terrifying infamous shadow knights wandered the halls scaring the servants and now the palace were assaulted by Assassins disguised as servants in the night.

Because of this her nerves were wracked and was now hiding in the storage hall unable to leave out of fear of being suspected as one of the culprit behind the assassination attempt on the royal family.

『I've been here since yesterday.』with her teeth chattering with a troubled expression.

『I want to resign, I want to go home.』

『The city is said to be on the verge of an uprising.』

『I'm worried about my family.』

She earnestly said to her.

Estel herself wanted to get out of the palace.
Her grandfather authority and figure is enough to bypass the shadow knights and royal guards.
After hearing her situation she then said.

『Why not come with us then?
I intended to leave this place as well.』

『Eh? what do you mean? and you still haven't explained what happened to you.』

『Well... 』

She told her regarding her identity as a princess and the reason why the demon-kingdom is now involved with bristle.

『You...』she had a pale expression after hearing it from her.

『Yes, It's my fault why this whole place is in quite a pickle.』

『I feel a bit guilty, but I intend to leave this place.』

『I'm sure it's going to be fine after I leave this place behind.
Give it a few weeks or months.』She said with a optimistic yet unsure smile.

『So? how about it.』

She reached her hand to her, but Saya was reluctant but took her hand either way.

『I hope your right...
But still, to think you were the daughter of the demon-king.

Why are you in such a place like this?』

『An incident occurred and I somehow got lost here.
Explaining it is difficult let's just say some fool decided to send me here by mistake.』

She was suspicious yet, simply shook her head and didn't ask for more.
Her dark eyes show's that she was too tired to think and would believe anything.

『You said us? who is the second person.』

『He should be outside.』

She walked towards the exit and knocked on the door three times.
*Click* The door opens and the a large dark figure appeared before her.

It was at this moment she understood that most of her words were not a lie.

『This is my grandfather.』 she introduced her to him.

He then said with a curious gaze.

『A friend of yours?
I sensed her presence but I didn't particularly see her as a threat, so I ignored it.』

Estel deeply sighed as he said those words while holding her head,
while Saya gave him a wry smile.

[You just ignored a person hiding where your own daughter came out of a barrel buck naked.

I have a lot of complaint's about those words.
but looking at how the demon-kingdom works with transformations from beast to human.
It's nothing strange to see one of my kind go naked after shaping themselves into a human.
It's basically natural for them.

DAMN IT!] she cursed her own race natural aspect.

『She's coming with us.』I said to him.

『I see...』he curiously gazed at her then looked away.
We soon swiftly walked through the halls with Saya at my side.

Right now, I wore a dark cloak with dark clothes fit for travel, it oddly looked cute due to its design.
It also covered the collar to avoid any strange suspicions which made it look quite natural.

My father didn't hesitate and swiftly gave me something like this.
It was quite strange, that he somehow knew what I wanted.
Did the first demon-king talk to him for me?
If so, I got to thank him the next time...

as she thought of it for a while...

[Ugh, nevermind.
I'm never coming back there.] she deeply said to herself.

Though I never found out the reason why or how he was able to convince him.
The council will surely be furious with him because of this...

I felt guilty and worried for him at the same time but...
That was simply my only opportunity of escape from that place.

I can't allow getting trapped there a second time.

[Because I can imagine a number of things the council can do,
Just to chain me down in that place.] She shuddered a bit as she imagined it.

As we walk around the place, the halls of this place had drastically changed.
The aid of the demon-kingdom to compensate for a few damages and a few renovation made the place a bit more attractive than before, but there are certain parts of the place which remained damaged.

『This part of the palace appears to have been recently attacked.』

It was a hallway where there were blood stain on the walls and broken pieces of vase along with a few chips on the walls.

『Assassins came yesterday aiming for her majesty life and a few of the royal knights and demon-kin's engaged against them. I was caught in the cross-fire and I've been hiding in that shed ever since yesterday.

What you see is merely the aftermath of what happened...』

Saya said with a troubled and tired expression, her movement appears sluggish and her teeth with chafing in stress revealing the truth in her words.

My grandfather then tapped my shoulder.

『You should restore a bit of her strength.
She might collapse at this rate.』

I nodded in response and requested Aisha's a bit of direction.
I pulled her close to my cloak and covered her shoulders with my cloak hiding my hand as I apply a bit of magic into her.

She felt a jolt of strength and felt a bit lighter.

『Estel, this is...』

I smiled at her and replied.

『A bit of pick me up.
I'm still new at this, but it should be enough.』

She nodded and thanked me as we continued to walk.

A few knights made questions about the servant that were with us.
But with my grandfather's words, they were either intimidated by him or respected him in great pride that they let us pass.

As we went on our way...

_______________________________________________________________________________

// Worries of a Mother. //

The Threads of the World...

Every being possesses it.
Inanimate or animate.
Living or non-living.

Everything can be utilized by this power.
Invisible strings that can be used to seal one's movement, bind or connect another through it.

I can even track a person of my own choosing...
As long as I've marked them.

When I taught my daughter this power, I kept the necromancer part a secret.

The reason was simply that...
[She was too unstable.]

In front of me were broken dolls and vases with her bed all ripped up as her hands were bleeding from the glass that she used to cut herself with.

After that, I hesitated on teaching her more because I feared...

"What she would do.
If these powers were directed at the people around her."

Necromancy isn't a game, it is an art that could go bad based on how it is used.

Which is why I taught her it's defensive usage instead.
"Without any of the dangerous part around it."
"I wanted to wait until she matures a bit, but that whole incident had to occur..."

She has talent, yet the pressure of this castle bore down into her mind.
Years of being stuck in a single room and myself constantly being away from her.

Regrettably, I was too complacent as a mother.

This was my fault, I left her alone too much.
Constantly being thrown into working for this kingdom I pleaded my husband to allow me to remain at her side. This at least gave me time to train her properly and eased her loneliness.

Yet at the end of it all, she begged me.

『Please, let me meet father.』

I can tell from her eyes.
She is sick of being caged like a bird within that room.

[Will she ask him to leave this place I wonder?]

After that incident.

I finally met her again.
Her eyes were now different.
Almost as though she has gained something she had lost.

I was shocked and amazed.
Never though she would recover here this quickly.

Because of this...

I felt that it was worthwhile to keep her in this place instead of bringing her back in that place.
Which is why I swiftly made my move and returned to inform my husband of the situation.

He accepted my notion but the cost of requiring myself to get involved in bristle to deal with their problems and serve as their connection.

Unable to at least know more of her change, I begin to worry even more...
Until an incident occurred regarding herself going out of control and being sent back to the demon-castle with grievous wounds.

Yet I noticed she had scales like her sister now.
[What happened? I wondered.]

The Frost Queen Mother was apologetic to me for some strange reason as she answered most of my questions. After understanding what had happened I then asked her,

『I wonder, is it all too late?』

『She had already begun to loath her own kin.』

『Won't she rampages again like this?』

Her only reply was...

『That would be her decision.
I am sure Estel herself would not perform such an act that would harm her family.』

Indeed... that child is very kind, yet her mind has deteriorated from the constant harassment already won't this make things worse?

My position as a mistress was difficult.
As a mistress and as a slave owned by my husband,
I had no choice but to follow those who are at equal standing to him.

The Frost Queen was someone equal so I cannot go against her wishes.

I took a deep breath and accepted it despite my worries.

This was the situation of those who lived in the demon-kingdom.
But I would call my situation unique as my standing is greater than those below the king.

But those who are simply called slaves they have no power like mine.

There are many prejudices similar to how some human community sees commoners and non-noble blood alike.

But that is natural in the world we all lived in.

There was little control for me who had accepted life as a part of their nation.
Though, I did not regret it entirely.

My husband was caring enough to show at least reason and compassion giving myself a little bit of heart by sending the best of his most loyal men to follow my commands and keep me safe.

I even requested a few people who carried no prejudice that I enjoyed talking with...

But still...
In this situation...
I had no choice but to leave it to my husband and her elder sister to take care of her.
Hopefully, she won't take it too hard when they won't let her return here.

Though for some strange reason, the gate is having trouble.
The twins who managed it are quite troubled and are constantly trying to make a connection.

[A/N: Even now she isn't aware of her escape and how the gate's were destroyed.]

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: This Chapter answers a lot of questions in the past regarding why she never taught her everything about the threads which Estel used.

19