S2 – Chapter 16: Debt’s to be repaid (Part 2)
626 11 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 16: Debt's to be repaid (Part 2)

『Without solid evidence we cannot persuade the people.』

This is what Leanne said to Levere.
Which is why she had requested him to send a message to her mother.
She then set up a trap by blocking multiple places using her mother's men and ensuring that they won't escape and have only one route to escape.

『Leanne, your quite a monster at this...』Levere said to her with a wide smile on his face.

『Never did I expect that a plan that involves leaking information like this could come in handy...』

As he said those words, Leanne, however, carried eyes full of bloodlust.

From a distance, she uses a spyglass to glance at their movement.
She now gazes at the man who murdered her brother.

『You must be excited.』

『Excited? no more like disgusted.』she said with thirst in her words.

『That man took away two important things in my life.
As if I am going to let them get away with this!』

She was serious, she requested levere to purposely leaked the information of her escape.
This will, in turn, cause them to flee believing there is a problem.

Where prepared armed soldiers are already ready to intercept them through her mother's command should they change course...

This was a checkmate for them.

Leanne then said.

『I've seen many people whom I've observed in my life,
how they react and move in a game of chess...

From the way, this bastard attacked my home from the shadow.
This one is a coward that only shows himself when he is assured to win.

Surely such a man will retreat upon hearing a single failure.』

She gritted her teeth in her thirst.
But then...
A voice of a woman then revealed herself behind her.

『Princess, you have nothing to worry about.
My people will surely apprehend these people.

I promised.
To you and your mother,
That I will surely won't let them escape.

This is also my repayment for letting me see my daughter smile again.』

Leanne then in confusion asked her brow paired together.

『What do you mean? by that...』

Rue tilted her head.

『Did she not tell you? 』

Leanne was confused by her question.

『That girl keeps a lot of secrets, she rarely tells me anything.
I sometimes wonder if I did something wrong or I made her feel too uncomfortable.』

Leanne felt bitter she felt like even now she hid something from her.

Rue sighed as she saw her expression sours.

She then said to her.

...

...

...

『Estel in my kingdom once tried to take her own life.』

As she heard those words, Leanne's eyes widen in shock.
Puzzled at the difference of Estel's expression and her words, she then asked.

『How is that possible?
She had such a gentle smile and was quite cheerful.』

『This is what I was concerned about,
but now is not the time to discuss such things.

Look closely, your prey is coming.』

As she said those words, the carriage was now heading in their direction.
Like a marionette played by her own strings, it was time for her to play the puppet master.

...

...

...

The shadow knights revered as the most terrifying warriors in the world.
But there is a reason why they are so feared.

Specific people adapted to the world carrying specialization where they are good at specific things.
But in every group of wanderers, there are those who performed specific roles which made things extremely efficient.

The front regarded as the vanguard.
Or those at the backline be it support or offense.
But humans, elves and other races carry limitations in their abilities.

This is what sets the demon-kin apart.

Their absolute territory of specialization is based on their race.

Chosen Vanguards of the demon-kin are composed of those who possess pure instinct and brute force that surpasses most would call common sense.

While those who are at the back carries many talents from their respective race such as the dryad which can manipulate nature itself or those who specialize in illusion.

Because of this...

In mere seconds the protection from his subordinates which the archbishop used was instantly annihilated as though they were simply fighting mere insects.

There was a total of three vanguards in every group of the shadow knights.
They were often called juggernauts as they rushed towards their objectives.

The three rushed from the side as they assaulted it in unison flinging away every soldier in their path.

In a single heat of a moment the armored carriage was sent flying as it rolled towards a building crashing.

When the Order's knights realized they were under attack, they swiftly took action.

However...
Despite carrying heavy armor and well-forged weapons.
To them, they were like mere toy's being pushed around like dolls.

With every swing of their weapons, the soldiers were being thrown away by absurd strength that could be described as inhuman.

As they fulfilled their purpose and continue their rampage.

There are also those who are unfortunate enough face a powerful mind-eater by trapping them in a dream causing them to lose their will to fight as they fell to the ground unconscious.

These are the unique abilities only known to their race.
It cannot be replicated and simply inborn talents which most would dread to face.

It was at that moment Morale of their forces dropped to the extent that the cries of soldiers and horses as they fled the broken carriage abandoning their task.

Leanne now understood, the difference between humans and demon-kin.

『They were stronger than I expected.』Levere was the first to say this.

As she herself understood, that they truly carried no mercy for their enemies and willing to turn a battle into a one-sided fight with their full ability in tow. During this moment the carriage door was broken open by one of the vanguards as swords stabbed the shadow knight from inside of it.

Such a shame that such weapons made from steel alone were not sharp enough to even pierce their armor.

The vanguard reached out towards two people with both hands as they were raised in the air.
They were then thrown to the direction where Leanne stood.

Rue who was beside her was silent and simply tied them up with her threads and the battle was over in a mere instant.

Only spanning at least a minute.

To Leanne her vengeance felt too easy, she was ready for a fight...
Clutching her weapon in hand tucked away in a holster.

But it was way too easy that she never had a chance to even use it.

She never expected such a one-sided battle to occur with their assistance.

But to her, it was a victory none-the-less.
She glared at the man known as Cardigan who is currently writhing on the ground in pain.
The shock of having their doors ripped out as their carriage rolled left them dazed as they were thrown out of their own carriage was something neither the archbishop nor himself expected to happen.

Because it simply happened way too fast...

『How does it feel to become the prey of the owl you once hunted?』

As he heard her words, Cardigan froze and slowly gazed upwards.
He saw Leanne wearing boots and simple clothes which commoners often wore...
Her sapphire blue eyes gazed at him with fury, he then made a wide grin in response.

『Using the shadow knights to hunt us down? Looks like you've thrown away your pride.』

『Pride? Hah, did you really think I'll give you luxury to give you the chance to escape?』

Leanne's eyes were full of rage.
She might as well have sold herself to the devil just to claim her vengeance no matter the cost.
But she had the opportunity to use what was in front of her.

The demon-kin's which came to search for Estel and their growing relationship with them.

『After what you've done to my father and simply watched my brother die as he bled out!
Don't forget how you just tried to turn me into a pig pen to those mercenaries!』

『Oh please, you were the one at fault for that.』he calmly replies.

No regrets, No hesitation, this man was twisted beyond what Leanne had ever imagined.

She felt enough disgust that she finally lost her patience that she lunged at him to strike him despite his powerless position.

*Thud* *Twack*

The sound of her fist caused his body to be pushed back to the ground as she repeatedly struck him.

Her mind was clouded by pure rage as Levere and Rue watched her...
The tears that fell from her eyes with each strike.

*Thump* *Thud* *Thump*

After she had struck him for like 40  times or so, her arms felt tired as they slowly went limp from exhaustion. During this time Levere had sent his men to apprehend the archbishop as they gagged him with a piece of cloth and tied him with a rope.

As for Cardigan himself, his face was beaten black and blue as he was left unconscious during her fit of rage.

Leanne then said.

『Why...
Why am I still not happy.』

Even though she succeeded in her revenge.
Even though she was there striking the man who was responsible for it all.
She knew that her father or brother will not return which made her even fall into sorrow.

Rue placed her hand behind her and calmly said.

『I know how you feel.』

Leanne froze at her words, as she scowled at her as she grieved.

『How!...
How would you know how I feel!』

She then smiled and replied at her expression.

『I was once a princess just like you.』

『At least the two people you loved.
Were able to risk their lives for your sake.』

『So what if that was the case!
Both of them are dead!』 she shouted in grief.

Rue replied to her with a cold voice.

『 Because mine never had that chance!』

『They were poisoned!』

『Because my own country feared the power of our bloodline.』

Leanne's face slowly softens as she heard that.

『On my return to my country, I saw my house already burned to the ground.』

『Tell me Leanne do you know, why I became the mistress of the demon-king?』

She paused to her waiting for an answer.

『When I reached the city, I realized they deemed my family an evil existence!』

『Despite being heroes of that land who aided them in their hour of need.』

『I lost faith in humanity, and ran to the demon-kingdom.』

『I didn't care...
If I were to become a slave to them.

I didn't care...
If I were to become their tool.

But what I found instead was a ridiculous person who rescued me.
After that, all my hate suddenly faded...』

『Faded?』Leanne asked.

『I found the place where I belonged to a home, happiness, then finally love.』

『This world is full of selfish fiends like this all across the lands.
But now is your chance to finally purge them from your home.』

『You still have two people left in your home right?』

Leanne recalled her mother and her little brother.

『Protect it with all you have...
As for me, I've already relinquished that pain.』

As she said those words Leanne was at a loss for words.
But their moment was soon interrupted as an explosion occurred in the City Hall.

All their gazes went wide open as they saw a figure of a white dragon,
Yet it's disfigured head was something out of a nightmare.

『Mo-mother!』Leanne cried out with a pale expression.

『Levere, handle things here.
Make sure our prize doesn't get away.』

As Rue was about to leave to help intercept the creature.
She heard the sound of horses coming from behind...

...

...

...
________________________________________________________________________________

// A sudden intrusion. //

A group of knights of the order carrying a large banner appeared behind them.
These soldiers were far different from normal ones and revealed a fierce expression in their faces.

This was undoubtedly the banner of another great archbishop of the order as its gaudy carriage was similar to what the first arch-bishop carried...

『Another one?』Levere said.

But unlike the first, they didn't ambush them nor fired their weapons at them.
As the carriage stopped the door swiftly slams open as another bishop wearing the same cloth appeared as we walked towards them, he gazed at the dragon from the distance instead.

『Looks like we are too late.』

He then turned to the Arch-Bishop that was currently apprehended.

『Leanne of Bristle, I would wish to parley.
Unfortunately, this foolish Brother of ours acted on his own disobeying the pope and brought a great disaster upon your land.』

Leanne glared at him in her response at this moment Rue blocked her then took a step forward.

『Unfortunately, lady Leanne is currently not well.』

『If you seek to parley, what do you propose?』

His gaze then turned towards the dragon.

『This kingdom is doomed.』he said.

『That dragon is an unstoppable relic that was sealed away.
Yet this foolish idiot decided to use it in this kingdom without any of our permission!』

『I seek to claim that man and excommunicate him for treason!』

He cried out in fury, his expression was stiff and serious.

『May I ask, why did this man attack this nation?
and what did these fools sought to gain from the country under our protection?』

『Apparently, there was news of a light dragon appearing in this kingdom.
While our Order carried the beast as a symbol of our holy banner the pope declined any desire to attack this kingdom.

He proposed to wait until the dragon herself to seek our presence.』

Rue's face twitched as she heard the word "Beast."

『However there are those whose greed and obsession with our faith has failed to comprehend the reason and chose to use brute force instead. That they even tried to kidnap the great dragon for the sake of their own desires.』

He then bowed his head to her.

『Mistress of Darkness, forgive the transgression of our brother and bring him to us. 』

『So we may enact our own justice upon him!』

Rue's face that was once gentle then slowly turned to a frown.

『I see, so your Order was responsible...
For why my daughter was severely injured.』

Rue thus far only gained the information of her losing control.
Being kidnapped was something new to her...
She didn't know why she lost control and why she was in such a state.

Leanne and her family kept it hidden to prevent any more conflict between the Order and the Demon-kins. But now that it was out in the open...

(Everything pieced together.)

『Eh?』the Arch-bishop was puzzled.

『Daughter?』

She then said in her annoyance as it slowly turned to fury.

『That Light dragon you call a beast, was a child of mine that suffered for so long.』

『Kidnapped and taken away, when she finally found herself the smile she had once lost.』

『Your telling me to forgive you fools for such actions made against her!』

She moved her hand towards the unconscious guards

As the sound of snapping noises of their necks as they rose from the dead like puppets under her command.

Rue was now scowling with fury at the people in front of her,
His guards drew his weapons as they saw it happen.

HOW DARE YOU ALL HARM HER!
WHEN SHE FINALLY FOUND HER PEACE
!』

The rage of a mother,
The rage of a necromancer,
Though she could not heal her daughter's pain.
She at least wanted to help the people who made her smile once again.

And so the parley was broken.
A battle erupted as they were forced to face a battle in such a way they never imagined.
Though the first ended in a one-sided battle.

This one seemed to last longer as each of the soldiers seemed to carry a power different from normal people.

The battle occured in the opposite directionw here the two dragon had fought.

...

...

________________________________________________________________________________

// Seid's Protection. //

Lyra the Queen of Bristle was currently persuading the populace of her city.
During this moment a young shadow knight was deep in his thoughts while guarding her.

[My job is a shadow knight.

To follow orders of those above us.
To follow them without fail even at the cost of our life.

Rue the mistress of the demon-king was the person who took me in.
After a specific incident regarding her daughter, she decided to have me at her side.
Truthfully I never expected to become a shadow knight.

It was just a pipe dream that turned into a reality when I ended up saving a young girl whose expression was the same was my sister.

I ended up protecting her without realizing why...
My body acted on its own...
Because she was eaten by a monster.

The reason why I wanted to be a soldier of the demon-kingdom.
Was simply because I wanted to become strong.

To become a shadow knight a hero of my nation.

Monsters roam this world, mostly the mindless ones.

They are difficult to deal with and are drawn to us as they seek out those they believe can make them stronger by eating them.

The demon-kingdom had a difficult situation as they are relentlessly attacking our nation.
Humans who waged war with us are regarded as monsters in our kingdom.
Which is why most of my kind belittle them.

Though time has changed and they were now providing us with support.

It's interesting but also concerning.

We never interacted with them, they are like blobs of greed in our eyes.
But now that I see them first hand.

[They aren't that different from us in terms of our minds.
But they are unexpectedly weaker in terms of our abilities.]

That was the only hypothesis I made.

Though I came to regret it when something unexpected happened.

...

...

...

While Seid was guarding the Queen he felt a dangerous presence,
One that sends a chill down his spine.
The order who had brought a gift claiming it was evidence was brought to the center of the hall.

Seid who saw it swiftly commanded the rest of his troops.
He produced an illusion of the queen in front of them to deceive their eyes as he snatches her away from the scene.

『What-are-you...』

As he leaped from the window with her in his arms, he simply said.

『They just brought something ridiculous.』

He then felt it, a surge of energy within the great hall.

Unknown to him,
The rest of his shadow knight moved to stop the power coming from inside the cage.
But they were all taken out as a blast of an explosion came from it.

Those within the great hall were either injured or wounded as most of them flee the scene.

It slithered and roared.
A great white dragon but it carried no scales and had wings that seemed artificial.
Its eyes were no dragon and appeared soulless and disfigured.

Those who saw it could only pale at what they saw as they fled in a panic.
Thus the chaos had begun within such a place where the truth to the populace should have been made clear.

As Seid fled with the queen in his arm,

『What do you mean something ridiculous!』she shouted at him.

*Crash*

A giant white dragon appeared on top of the city hall of her fair city.
Her mouth gaped as she now understood why Seid acted that way.

『My job is to protect you, that thing appeared to me like a bomb.
So I acted as I send my men to suppress it...』

He then pulled out a metallic object inside his armored coat.

As he threw it in the sky as it transformed into a floating golem.
Conjuring an invisibility spell on it.

It soon disappeared as it tracked the beast that appeared.

Though to his surprise, another black dragon came and lunged at it as they fought in her city,
At that moment he knew which direction to run.

He put the queen down then said to her.

『Your majesty, It's best we run now.
We can't get caught up in that kind of fight.』

『What? can't you do something?』she complained to him.

『Amongst the shadow knights, I am a reconnaissance specialist.
Illusions, Techniques, Tracking, and tricks are my finest abilities.

Against something gigantic like that.
I highly doubt I could fight something that powerful.』he bluntly told her a fact about himself.

The queen could only grimace as she watched two dragons suddenly appeared and rampaged within her city. Screams of her people were heard everywhere as they fled away from the chaos.

『This is the second time, that my country is on fire.』she said.

『My husband isn't here to take that thing down.』

As she bit her lips despair and sorrow came from her eyes.
Seid then asked.

『Are you forgetting something, your majesty?』

She turns her eyes towards him.

『Your kingdom is currently under our protection.
Have we failed you in our quest to shield you thus far?

We are peerless in our hunt when we see our prey.
We will see it forth that this thing goes down.』

She felt a bit relieved hearing that but felt bitter at her own powerlessness when her people needed it most. As she stood and held his hand and ran.

He then said.

『Though, we do have a problem right now.』

『What problem?』she asks.

『The Gate isn't working properly.』

『Eh? isn't that the tool you people use to get here in an instant?』

『Exactly.』

The gate is broken, unaware of the cause the shadow knights in her kingdom are all on their own.
While Seid seeks to send information to relay a powerful threat appearing in the middle of the city.
It was a difficult situation for him.

『We need to find lady Rue, fast.』he said with a serious expression.

But right now keeping the queen safe was his mission.
He cannot fail as things had already gone out of hand.

...

...

...

A/N: The city of bristle is a merchant city.
Adventurers of great ability ignored it because the city peculiarly had their monster problem resolved by the kingdom itself causing them to migrate elsewhere.

If you expect some random appearance of a hero the odd's are extremely slim.
At best assassins or manhunters are more present and giant monsters are way out of their league.

Announcement
The finale is going to be one wild tale.
13