Chapter 2 – Discussion
8.8k 23 171
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Father, I heard someone came here proclaiming to be my daughter? Why haven’t you thrown them out yet?”

When Yun Ling heard the news from Yun Yi, he was shocked at first but immediately calmed down. He was well aware of how lascivious he was in the past. Back then, he was involved with many women and that became quite a controversy. Not only did he sleep with pure maidens, and high-class prostitutes from famous brothels, he even had an affair with some married women.

Because of that, some ambitious women took advantage of his reputation and came to the Yun Clan’s Compound claiming to be pregnant with Yun Ling’s child, hoping to become one of Yun Clan’s daughter-in-law.

Of course, their lies were exposed right away, and they were all exiled from the capital, but that didn’t stop the rest from trying to do the same thing. The temptation of becoming part of the Yun Clan’s main family was an opportunity too great for them to pass on.

“Let’s talk about that later. First off, how’s the matter with the Core Formation Slayer?” Yun Zhan asked as he took out a bottle of wine and poured some in his glass.

Yun Ling sighed in relief. The fact that his father wanted to talk about this matter first meant that the one claiming to be his daughter is a pretender. Otherwise, his father wouldn’t be as calm as this.

“I’ve been trying to find him for months but he’s very elusive. He does things carefully, so it’s very tough to get clues on him. However, I was fortunate enough to be able to locate one of his hideouts.”

The ring on Yun Ling’s left hand glowed for a brief second and then a scroll suddenly appeared on his hand.

“In his hideout, there were several strange formations that are focused on a pool filled with blood. There are also hundreds of spiritual cores inside arranged peculiarly. This is how it looks like...”

Yun Ling gave the scroll to his father then went back to his position right after.

While his father was examining its contents, he continued to speak, “There’s no doubt that this Core Formation Slayer is a demonic cultivator. The fact that he only kills core formation cultivators means that he must be after their spiritual cores. What I don’t understand however is what does he need it for?”

“Hm, this is indeed the work of a demonic cultivator. I recognize these formations. There was a demonic cultivator I killed years ago who had a copy of a formation similar to this one. I remember he was from the Pure Heart Demon Sect.”

“Pure Heart Demon Sect...”

Yun Ling frowned. Pure Heart Demon Sect was the biggest sect of the demonic path in Jin Empire’s territory. To think he had been chasing someone from that sect all along. Good thing he stopped otherwise, he might meet a misfortune sooner or later.

“What do you think of the strength of this Core Formation Slayer?” Yun Zhan asked as he took a sip from his glass.

“He’s at least in the Four Transformation Realm,” Yun Ling replied right away.

“What makes you think so?”

“After examining the corpses of his victim, I can say that they all died instantly. There were also no signs of battle in the scene so that means they died without being able to fight back. Judging from these two points, it’s either the opponent is a formidable assassin or they simply have a much higher realm than his victims,” Yun Ling paused to see if his father was following.

Yun Zhan merely nodded, gesturing him to continue.

“It couldn’t be an assassin because the corpses all had their hands on their swords. This shows that they were aware of their opponent’s presence, and prepared for a fight. If the Core Formation Slayer was an assassin, then they wouldn’t have noticed him at all until it was too late. It would be too foolish for an assassin to show his presence to his victims since this would only serve to raise their guard and make it much harder for him to kill them.”

“So it couldn’t be an assassin?” Yun Zhan asked.

“It couldn’t be an assassin,” Yun Ling shook his head.

“What you said makes sense. However, a lesson for you, my son, don’t fall for stereotypes,” Yun Zhan said with a smile.

“Stereotypes?”

“There are all types of people in the world. Even if one can live for thousands of years, there’s no way they’ll ever know all types of people out there. An assassin only kills in the dark? Who said an assassin can’t kill in broad daylight? A demonic cultivator is evil? You’d be surprised to know how many gentle demonic cultivators are out there. A righteous cultivator is good? I have seen many exemplary individuals doing unscrupulous things behind the people’s back,” Yun Zhan shook his head and emptied the wine in his glass. “Son, you are blessed with good eyes. I want you to have a broader vision and not limit yourself to these things. The reason I always gave you missions after missions in the past and decided to have you go after the Core Formation Slayer was to give yourself experience. I don’t want you to cultivate all the time in the safety of our compounds. You would only amount to nothing if that happens, a mere paper tiger. Strong on the outside but fragile inside.”

“Father...”

Yun Zhan poured some wine in his empty glass and continued, “After all, walking ten thousand miles is better than reading ten thousand books. I won’t blame you if you hate me for being too controlling and making you do all those things.”

Yun Zhan had a distant faraway look in his eyes when he finished speaking. He smiled wryly and shook his head as if lamenting something.

Yun Ling’s heart ached when he saw that expression on his father’s face and quickly said, “Father, I knew you only had the best intentions for me in your mind. There’s no way I’ll ever hate you.”

“Really? That’s good then!” Yun Zhan suddenly beamed.

“Father?” Yun Ling didn’t know why but he was quite unnerved at the sudden change of attitude of his father.

“Your grandfather is here. Now, it’s time for your punishment for siring a child without our knowledge,” Yun Zhan looked at him viciously.

The door was suddenly blown into pieces when a middle-aged man entered the room.

“Unfilial grandson! How dare you not tell me that I have already become a great-grandfather! We must have not disciplined you properly in your childhood!”

171