Chapter 8 – The Gold Buried Under the Diamond
5.7k 12 116
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Clan Master, I’ve brought the Young Master here,” Yun Yi said towards Yun Zhan after he and Yun Ling arrived in the study.

Yun Zhan was browsing through some books on his shelf when the two arrived. He looked at Yun Yi and said kindly, “Sorry for the trouble, Yi’er.”

“No, it was nothing, Clan Master,” Yun Yi smiled. “If that’s all, then I’m going to take my leave.”

“Alright, you are dismissed,” Yun Zhan nodded at him.

Yun Yi slightly bowed. He left right after.

Yun Ling and Yun Zhan watched Yun Yi leave. It was only when he was out from their sight that Yun Zhan began to speak, “Yi’er reminds me so much of my younger brother. However, unlike him, Yi’er is much more talented, he’s even more talented than I.”

“Tell me something I don’t know,” Yun Ling rolled his eyes at him.

He had already lost count on how many times his father told him how Yun Yi was more talented than him and his brother, and that, if it wasn’t for Yun Ling, Yun Yi would’ve been the main star among the younger generation in the Yun Clan. If it wasn’t because of how bright Yun Ling’s talent was, Yun Yi would’ve been long famous in the capital. It was too bad that he was always overshadowed by Yun Ling.

For example when it comes to cultivation...

“Amazing, he just started cultivating three months ago but Yun Yi’s already in the Foundation Establishment Realm.”

“That’s nothing. Yun Ling only cultivated for less than a month yet he already entered the Foundation Establishment Realm.”

Both of these feats were amazing. Normal people would need at least a year before they were able to enter the Foundation Establishment realm, some might even take longer than that. The fact that Yun Yi was able to do it within three months shows just how talented he is. However, when compared to Yun Ling, his achievement didn’t seem much.

If Yun Yi had been born in another clan, he would’ve shined. It was too bad that he and Yun Ling were born in the same clan. The two were always being compared to each other all the time. Of course, there were people in the clan who appreciated Yun Yi’s talent, but to the outsiders, they only know him as Yun Ling’s aide, nothing more than that.

Yun Zhan knew Yun Ling and Yun Yi had some sort of rivalry but there was nothing he could do about it. He couldn’t even blame the boy if he started to resent his son. Even he would feel the same. Being compared to someone better all the time was incredibly unpleasant.

“Anyway father, what did you summon me for?” Yun Ling asked.

Yun Zhan stared at his son for a few moments and sighed. He took an envelope from his desk and threw it towards Yun Ling.

“What is this?” Yun Ling received the envelope and opened it. There was a letter with an exquisite design inside. “An invitation letter?”

Yun Zhan nodded, “The fourth prince’s servant came here to deliver the letter. You were cultivating then so one of our servants took it instead and gave it to me. It seems that the fourth prince is hosting a banquet tonight and wants to invite you.”

“Oh, the fourth prince?” Yun Ling raised a brow at that. “What is the banquet for?”

Yun Zhan thought for a second. “It’s probably for the Golden Dragon Election. Your uncle told me just now that the fourth prince is also inviting all the competitors that have arrived in the capital to the banquet. Your friend, Yu Shan, is invited too.”

Yun Ling remained silent, not saying anything.

“You should go. This banquet is probably for you and Yu Shan. The emperor also told me that he’s going to have one of the princes deliver some information regarding the Golden Dragon Elections to you two.”

“So this was the emperor’s idea. But why would he choose the fourth prince instead of the crown prince or the first prince?” Yun Ling wondered. “No, wait. Among the princes, the fourth prince had always had the least amount of power and authority. The emperor is probably giving him a chance by delegating him this task.”

Yun Zhan was pleased with his son.

“That’s right. Everyone participating in the Golden Dragon Election will certainly become big figures in the future. In this banquet, the fourth prince can make some connections with these people and gain a modicum of authority.”

Those who dare to participate in the Golden Dragon Election are the best of the best in the empire. If the fourth prince is able to make friendly relations with these geniuses and potentially these geniuses’ backers, then he has nothing to lose but everything to gain.

“The emperor is quite fair. Although he had already decided for the crown prince to inherit the throne in the future, he also wants the other princes to live a well-off life with some amount of influence in the royal court,” Yun Zhan added.

“Alright, I am going to attend this banquet.”

Yun Ling put the invitation letter back in the envelope and kept it in his robe.

“By the way father, about the matter of Yun Xia’s mother...”

Yun Zhan sighed when Yun Ling brought this up.

“The men I sent already returned. They didn’t have a clue.”

Yun Ling also sighed, “No matter, I’ll just ask Yun Xia’s caretaker. I’m sure she knows something.”

Yun Ling still hadn't asked Yue Dongmei because he was waiting for the result of his father’s investigation. Since they didn’t come up with anything then he would just have to ask her.

Yun Zhan agreed with Yun Ling, “I’m sure of that too. I already tried asking her but she wouldn’t say anything. I also don’t want to force her too much or else Xia’er will be upset. My granddaughter is quite close to her and I don’t want her to hate me.”

Yun Ling looked at him, unimpressed.

‘You’re just like grandfather huh?’

“Anyway, please tell the servants to prepare the carriage, father. I might as well take a look at the other participants. I’m curious how strong my opponents will be in the competition.”

Yun Zhan frowned at him.

“How sure are you that you’ll win the Golden Dragon Election?”

“Do you even have to ask?” Yun Ling smiled.

Yun Zhan only smirked.

“Right, that was a stupid question.”

Cultivation Realms:

1. Foundation Establishment

2. Spirit Awakening

3. Core Formation

4. Four Transformation

5. Mortal Lord

6. Fate Dominion

7. Sacred King

116