Chapter 74 – The Day Before the Competition
1.8k 3 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Thank you so much to Pedro Sousa for pledging $10 and to Edge Nation (Skydkie) for his $7 donation. Seriously guys, thank you so much. I didn't think anyone would donate to this story at all... the money I earn from patron will be used for my tuition once it's enough. Thanks once again.

The entire street of the Jin Empire’s Capital was totally crowded. There was literally a sea of people walking down the street while many others were still arriving in the capital. The capital had always been busy but never had it been this busy before. The reason for the arrival of these people many people was none other than to observe or participate in the Golden Dragon Election which would be happening tomorrow.

“Geez, why do we have to come into this place just to see some nobodies fight? I would rather hunt some lesser beasts or kill demonic cultivators than do this boring shit,” a young man complained to his companion as he lazily looked around.

“What do you mean nobodies? You shouldn’t underestimate the people in this empire too much. The Jin Empire is one of the strongest empires in the world. They can rival most first-rate sects on their own. As exceptional as you are, even you might lose to their geniuses if you don’t take them seriously,” said a middle-aged man to the young man.

“As if,” the young man muttered condescendingly.

The middle-aged man could only shake his head in disappointment at the young man. This guy was too arrogant for his own good. He viewed everyone who didn't belong to a sect as someone inferior to him.

These two were actually from the Law God Sect. Both of them were instructed to come into the Jin Empire and watch their once in a decade competition in each generation. Their mission was to look for promising youngsters in the competition and recruit them into their sect. Successfully doing so would earn them great merit in their sect.

It wasn’t only the Law God Sect who was trying to do this. There were also people from other sects who were currently in the Jin Empire trying to find talented people they could recruit into their sect.

There was nothing strange about this behavior from the sects. Every time there was a big competition in a kingdom, empire, or in a second or third-rate sect, the higher-ups from first-rate sects would send people to observe the competition and recruit people they have taken a liking to.

This was how the first-rate sects maintained their power and even kept getting stronger over the years.

The middle-aged man let out a sigh. Their mission was to recruit talented youngsters into their sect, but that was actually just a second-priority for them. Their first priority was to recruit him. The genius that their sect had been trying to recruit for years. If he was able to get that person into their sect, he would be rewarded with a high position in the Law God Sect.

“Yun Ling, huh?” the middle-aged man muttered as he looked at the photo of a beautiful-looking man drawn in some type of high-quality paper.

The young man glanced at the photo and frowned, “I really don’t understand why the higher-ups are so obsessed with that guy. What makes him special? I mean, yeah, he’s beautiful and all. I will totally bang that if I don’t know he’s a man. Wait! Maybe there’s a big shot in the Law God Sect with a sick fetish and wanted to get it on with this guy? Yeah, that’s probably it!”

The middle-aged man was disgusted at his suggestion and hit the young man’s head.

“Stop thinking of silly things. Let’s go, we’re taking up the line.”

“Papa, the Golden Dragon Election is tomorrow, right? Is Papa not going to cultivate today?” Yun Xia asked her father as she came near him.

Yun Ling was casually sipping on his tea when he saw Yun Xia come towards him. He immediately put his tea on the table as he smiled at her.

“Xiaxia, cultivating too much isn’t good sometimes. Besides, Papa has already done his best preparing for this moment for years. A single day of cultivation won’t affect Papa’s results. Since the Golden Dragon Election is starting tomorrow, it is for the best that Papa relaxes his body and mind so Papa can be at his optimal condition when tomorrow comes,” Yun Ling explained as he took a sip of tea.

Yun Xia merely tilted her head at the side. She didn’t understand most of what he said.

“It means, it is better for Papa to take a rest so he can do well tomorrow instead of cultivating until the last minute,” Yun Ling explained.

Yun Xia’s mouth formed a shape of an ‘o’ as she finally understood what Yun Ling said.

“Good luck for tomorrow, Papa! Do your best!” she said cheerfully. She was confident that her father will win the competition since he was the best.

Yun Ling smiled at her and said, “Xiaxia, since Papa is going to relax today instead of cultivating, how about we play all day today?”

The little girl’s eyes glinted at that. Her papa had been busy in the past two days preparing for the Golden Dragon Election and helping other people out with modifying some sort of supreme art? She really wasn’t sure. In any case, her papa was busy cultivating and helping them out so they hadn’t played or gone out in the past two days.

“Sure!”

“What does Xiaxia want to play?” Yun Ling asked.

“Hide and seek!” Yun Xia answered enthusiastically.

Yun Ling let out a small laugh at that, “Okay! Let’s ask Snow Fang and his son, and also the other servants to join us.”

“No using powers, Papa!” Yun Xia pouted. It would be unfair if her father were to use some cultivation power thingy. The game would be no fun in that case.

“I know, I know…”

“Yu Yinyi, the Golden Dragon Election will be starting tomorrow,” the emperor said as he looked at the handsome middle-aged man standing faithfully behind him.

This middle-aged man was Yu Yinyi, the unit commander of the Jin Empire, and the father of the supreme genius, Yu Shan.

“Yes, Your Highness,” Yu Yinyi answered.

“How is the security?” the emperor softly asked.

Yu Yinyi shook his head as he let out a sigh, “Unfortunately, Your Highness, just like the Golden Dragon Elections before, I suspect that many people from other sects have gotten inside. My men have caught a dozen men, all belonging from different sects, but I am sure that there are just as many who have slipped inside.”

“That’s truly unfortunate but there is nothing we can do about it. Even with the tightest security, it is unavoidable to have some ants slip inside. I’m sure that in this decade, many of our geniuses will be recruited by the other sects once again.”

Yu Yinyi didn’t say anything.

“But it doesn’t matter. Only the less capable ones will be easily swayed to their side. The most exceptional geniuses are the ones that will be hard to bring to their side. Those are the ones we should be paying attention to.”

Announcement
Join the discord server to read 11 chapters I didn't upload on scribblehub: https://discord.gg/hG9BVQjUw8

Anyway, please become my patron to help fund my education. You can read 2 chapters a day from Monday to Friday and 1 side chapter every Saturday for $3 only. Thank you so much.

38