Chapter 1: The Dying Valiant and the Betrayed Immortal
7.6k 11 117
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dyne Valiant limped as he walked. The floor behind him had a lot of blood. He was only able to move due to sheer will as the blood from him continued to drip. He had served the army and returned home a war hero. But the politics and corruption that caused the death of his family urged him to take matters into his own hands and live as a vigilante. 

The total body count of the enemies he killed numbered over three hundred. Though he had been shot and would probably be unable to survive, he at least managed to claim vengeance at his father's death. The primary killer had been slain. His only regret was that he could not destroy the crime syndicate that killed his siblings and mother.

“I guess this is it…” He sighed. He slowly tried to stand up. The sirens could be heard in the distance. But this wasn’t beneficial for Dyne since the criminals had the police in their pockets. And while several good cops roamed the street, all the leaders had determined that Dyne would be shot on sight.

He slowly lifted his battered body and walk.

“Worse comes to worst, I’ll just shoot myself.” He mused. He walked out of the building and was staggering in his steps. Luckily the rain would wash away the blood that trickled down his body.

He slowly staggered and walked deeper into the depths of the darkness.

An odd sight befell him as a man with strange clothing was sitting out the corner with blood also appearing in his body.

As Dyne passed by him, he noticed that the man had wounds far worse than he had. At the end of the alley, he could see the cops already arriving. He glanced behind him, and he could see that several unmarked cars had come on the other end. With the last remaining strength, he forced himself to jump down towards the strange man and sat next to him. The garbage bins and various barrels blocked them from sight. The two peacefully relaxed as their backs were supported by the wall.

In an odd twist of faith, both were now seated together, and both were dying.

“It is a good day to die.” Dyne quoted one of the old school games he used to play as a kid.

“I guess you’ll die ahead of me. What’s your name, pal?” Dyne asked with a strange expression.

“Why aren’t you going to a hospital? The memory I received from my Master states that wounds like that could be treated at a hospital.” The strange man frowned.

“O…K…” Dyne laughed. He was also surprised that despite the grave wounds, this man seemed to be further from death that Dyne was.

“You must be some foreigner? Did you got caught in the crossfire of my fight? I’m sorry. But right now, I don’t have a choice. Wait a sec.” Dyne then fiddled in his pocket and pressed a small detonator.

BOOM!

The floor several stories above exploded.

Suddenly, the police and the gang members who went inside the building. Soon after, gunshots were heard, and it created a commotion as the gang, and the cops started to shoot each other.

"Ah. The fitting end. With that, both groups will start shooting each other." Dyne laughed as his plan succeeded.

“You were saying?”

“I see now that this world is not as easy as my Master imparted on me. Going to a hospital should have doctors that would immediately kill you. Am I correct?”

“Righto! I made a lot of enemies. I need to go to a hospital or back to my little lair to get patched up. But right now, I’m too wounded, and those cops will definitely kill me. And the hospitals would only let my enemies know where I am.” Dyne smiled.

“What are cops?”

“Uh... The police?”

“Ah! Of course! Now that term, I do know! I’m sorry. The memories I received from my Master are somewhat limited. I both know of things and yet will fail in understanding the simplest of terms. For example, that word, I didn’t know that those are the same.” The man stated.

“What an odd conversation to have right before dying... But enough about me… What about you? You have worse injuries than me, but you seem alright.”

“These physical wounds mean nothing to me. The real threat is the poison in my soul. Much like your situation, I also fled from an adversary beyond my capacity. And like you, I am destined to die.”

“Oh. Bummer.”

The man then gave a strange look at Dyne.

“What offense has these man caused that they need to repay with their blood?”

“I just wanted revenge. They killed my family and my old pop. My dad’s a detective. He did everything in his power to protect this city. But corruption won in the end. I’m a soldier, so while I was sent off to war, I didn’t know that things were getting bad here. After protecting my country, I went home only to find that the reason I wanted to protect my country was already killed.”

“I see…” The man gave a melancholic laugh.

“What about you?” Dyne asked.

“I am a disciple of a rather powerful and influential person. She was the most powerful person in the place where I came from.”

“Was? You mean she isn’t anymore?”

“Indeed. The same could be said about your situation. The greed of men and the desire for power was the reason that led to my master’s downfall. It seems that your condition is worsening.” The strange man then noticed.

Dyne’s vision was getting blurrier and blurrier.

“It’s alright. It’s just how it is. I can’t believe that I’ll die ahead of you.” Dyne laughed.

The man gazed at the rainy stars above as if considering something.

“Here.” The man gave a strange red pill.

“Will I get out of Matrix if I eat this?” Dyne laughed.

“What?” The man asked in confusion.

“Never mind.” Dyne took the pill and swallowed it.

Almost instantly, Dyne felt a strange sensation within him.

“What was that? I feel better...” Dyne turned to the man, but the man continued to look up.

“...”

Dyne was confused.

“Thank you for granting me this.” The man sincerely spoke to the skies.

“O...K... You’re not part of some strange cult, are you?”

“No. It’s just that the Sovereign of this world allowed me to have a companion to chat with as I fall into my death.” The strange man smiled.

“Oh... So that pill can’t save me?”

“It could give you enough time to head for the hospital. Or whichever adobe you prefer to hide and tend to your wounds.”

“Erm... Thanks. But I don’t think it’s possible now. The cops and the syndicate that I just attacked are both here. Both will try to kill me. So even if I can walk, I'm still a dead man. That drug you gave me made me recover a lot of blood... but my wounds are still too critical. I guess that my destiny is indeed to die talking to a weirdo.”

“What’s is this weirdo that you address me as?”

“A man with exquisite taste and uh... language.” Dyne smiled.

“I see. Forgive me. I am someone who does not belong here. Do you have... any alcohol with you?”

“No.”

“A pity. I wanted to taste the alcohol that this world has... Then perhaps it would be wise that we drink mine. I originally prepared this for my own toast in the success... but I guess the best way to use this is to share it with another who has befallen the same fate as me.” Suddenly, a bottle of wine appeared out of thin air and was hovering in the air.

“Dude... This is like... magic.” Dyne was amazed.

Two cups also appeared and settled on their hands.

“Bruh. I never took drugs because my dad really indoctrinated it on me. But dude... this is amazing!” Dyne laughed.

“It seems that the Sovereign is very kind. To think he even let me do this...” The man laughed.

“With all your tricks, can’t you try to heal yourself?”

“That is the one trick I am unable to perform. You see, the poison in me is basically incurable. On my desperate straits, I took all of the medicinal pills, herbs, and fruits that my world has to offer—the very best of them. And yet I am only able to prolong the agony for so long. I should have saved some for you. At least you’d survive. But alas, such is our fate.” The man laughed.

"Welp. Now that we have time... Tell me more about your world.”

“I belong to a world where gods exist. But not like the God presiding here. He’s infinitely more powerful as He is a real God. As for our world, we were only humans like you who were granted abilities, accessories, and tools to become gods. Your God told us to ignore this world and this universe for that matter. But I was in such a desperate circumstance that I forced those godly artifacts to breach the dimensions and bring me here.” The strange man sighed.

“Nice. I was hoping for something related to black magic... but a fantasy another-world thing. That’s also in my fave.” Dyne laughed.

The strange man simply smiled.

“What a tale. So me, the dying Valiant meets the Betrayed Immortal! So in this... world of yours, you were some big shot god?”

“No. The title of god was bestowed to my master. She was given the task of ensuring that the world would remain in check. You see, she was to ensure that the various kingdoms of that world of ours would not use their powers to oppress the weaker. She had the power to destroy kingdoms with the artifacts that the God here bestowed on her.”

“What artifact?”

“The Imaginarium Bond.” The man revealed a strange bracelet with several bright jewels.

Hi, Rapture Tales, Author of New Game+ here. This is a story that I am writing as a sideline. New Game+ is already on Webnovel and I have stopped posting here since last year since I got contracted. I decided to post this other story which I have been writing with more momentum. Nostalgic Gamer in a Cultivation World is a fanfiction story that I really enjoy writing. And honestly, this is a lot easier to write than the one in Webnovel. So I actually do 4 chapters per week at an average in this. Of course, for visibility purposes, I will be slowly posting the chapters but will keep the one in my Patreon way more advanced than the chapters posted here. So if you're interested, read more of this story in my Patreon account. (Over 60 Chapters posted!) 

117