Chapter 16: Biron Monastery
1.1k 4 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dyne was trying to get these old farts and hunters to help him reach Biron Monastery. And so, he used various schemes to make them decide to go there.

“It’s just too dangerous.” Ipkus shook his head.

“We don’t know if they have survived.”

“They have. You forget. They are Biron Monks. When the era of Serus came, we never wore those Serus and relied on our own strength and trained in it. I’m sure that if those fans are working, and with the strength of the Monks, they would surely survive.” Tetsu patiently answered.

“Ipkus is right, Master Tetsu. Even if you joined us on the journey, it would be fought with many hardships.”

“I suggest we try. We have a Gobu Gobu, and I can talk to some Gobu Gobu. If we can convince a Gobu Gobu village to aid us into an alliance, then we should be able to hunt towards that area.” Dyne added.

“Alright. But you have to understand. We have to prioritize our own safety! We are still in the midst of this calamity. Bravery should not become foolhardiness!” Juno explained to Dyne.

“We can take our time, and perhaps within a year or so, we could journey there. Dyne, I know you are eager to go back home, but you shouldn’t be reckless!” Juno explained.

“Oh, right. When we were passing by, my memory caught sight of a very beautiful auntie with green hair. She looked like your daughter. Is she a relative of yours?” Dyne asked.

Juno’s expression was stunned. The Elder also gave Dyne a shocked look.

“What?! You saw her in Biron Monastery?!” Juno shouted.

"Um... Yeah. Although it should have been like seven years ago, to me, it was just like yesterday. I originally thought I was somewhere near Biron Monastery when I saw your daughter.” Dyne hesitated.

“She... She’s in Biron! She made it to Biron!” Juno was in tears.

“She must be alive. Let’s hope for the best, Juno. But do not tell Mei yet about her, least we give her false hope.” The Elder gave his warning.

“Who is this auntie?”

“She’s my wife! Thank you for telling me this!” Juno glanced at Dyne.

“We have the keys and hope. It looks like fate is on our side!” The Elder laughed.

“It must be that Genesis Tree.” Dyne murmured.

“I was told by my father of an old tale. The Genesis Trees guide the fates of men. When the Mist spread across Karisto, there were rumors that one town managed to resist the Mist because it had three Genesis Trees!” Dyne explained.

This was a lie. In the game, Buma was frozen because of a powerful Seru that brought a powerful frost in the town. As such, the power of the Genesis Trees was sealed. But since he wanted people to continually pray to the Genesis Tree to at least make Meta strong enough to talk to him, he needed to make up these lies. Of course, Dyne was slightly confident in his deduction. An unawakened Genesis Trees could already repel the Mist around it. Three trees could surely have created a more powerful effect.

The expressions of everyone changed.

“The Genesis Tree protected them?”

“Right. There were three of them. When I arrived at Sebucus Islands and realized that the Mist was there, I immediately decided to go here! Sebucus Islands had only two Genesis Trees. But when I heard there were more Genesis Trees here than in Sebucus Islands, I decided to move here. In Karisto, we only had three Genesis Trees. Three of which were in Buma. Sol used to have one, but it died, and only a sapling remained.” Dyne gave the details of the in-game placements.

Drake had up to four Genesis Trees, but one would soon die as it was close to the Mist Generator.

“We’ve always known that the Genesis Trees had power... And so we were praying every day... My son especially prays there the most.” Val sighed.

“Well... His prayers gave you guys me. It must have been the protection of the Genesis Trees that allowed Bertugo to miraculously find me and bring me out of the Mist.” Dyne smiled.

The Elder smiled as he noticed the changing expressions of both Juno and Val.

Dyne then turned towards Tetsu.

“Master Teacher, please allow me to learn the ways of combat!” Dyne gave a bow.

Tetsu smiled.

“But of course, child. Tomorrow we will start our training.” Tetsu smiled as he gave a courteous bow towards the Elder and left.

“Dyne... You may stay with us.” Val offered.

“Thank you. Uncle Val!” Dyne gave a courteous bow.

“No need for all the formalities. If you are as strong as you say you are, you could be the next Master of the Hunt!” Val laughed as he led Dyne out. Dyne could have sworn that Val gave Ipkus a meaningful look on the way out.

Dyne followed Val as he limped his way towards his home.

“It seems little Vahn will now have a rival!” Val laughed as they walked out.

“I saw him praying on the Genesis Tree earlier.”

“He does that. Dyne, I believe you should take your time to also spar with Vahn. Since young, he’s been training with Tetsu, and honestly, he is one of the youths here who has promising potential as a fighter. And I’m not saying that just because he’s my son!” Val laughed.

“Uncle Val. Forgive me for being nosy. You seem like a strong hunter, even stronger than Uncle Juno. Even Master Tetsu implied that earlier.” Dyne asked curiously.

“Oh? That caught your attention? You seem very aware of your surroundings. I’m curious how you were raised.”

“I had a strict dad who made sure I wasn’t playing around.” Dyne laughed.

“Well, truth be told, I was the Master of the Hunt before Juno. But as you can see, I am quite unfit to do that.”

“You must have done great things considering how much the people still respect you.”

“A few years ago, Vahn ran away to get something in Drake Castle.” Val immediately explained.

Dyne knew this as he played the game but still revealed a surprised expression.

“What?”

“That’s why people respect Vahn and me. The madness of the Mist is scary.  Yet Vahn managed to brave it all. He reached Drake castle. He was so young, but he reached so far.”

Dyne was secretly startled. When that plot point was revealed in the game, he really didn’t appreciate it. But now that he lived in it, and the horrifying description of the Mist, how was it that Vahn managed to reach Drake Castle?

They reached Val’s home after a long walk.

A young girl came out and greeted his father.

“Papa! I already prepared the bed of Dyne, just as you said. Hi brother Dyne. I’m sorry. But Papa said that your Gobu Gobu couldn’t sleep inside.

Vahn also came out and greeted his father and Dyne.

Dyne smiled and waved back to the two. Nene is Vahn’s younger sister, and despite her young age, she acted so maturely. This was natural since Vahn had focused and trained every day in fighting while his disabled father couldn’t do much. As such, most of the house chores were done by Nene.

“Shall we tuck in for the night?” Val asked.

“I’d like to pray more at the Genesis Tree. I’ll also check on Bertugo and the Slime.” Dyne requested.

“I see. Go ahead. Don’t stay up too late. Tetsu stars training early in the morning.”

“It’s alright, Uncle. I’m used to early morning spars. My father would usually wake me up before the sun is up. My body is basically used to that schedule.” Dyne laughed.

“Alright, do take care.” Val nodded and went into their home with Nene and Vahn.

Dyne walked back and could still see some of the villagers rejoicing. Surprisingly enough, the Gobu Gobu was now in the festivities, and they were making him drink alcohol.

Although Bertugo couldn’t understand them, the happy smiles made it accept the humans' generous offers.

Dyne shook his head.

“Hey, Dyne! This Bertugo sure knows how to drink!” One of the hunters laughed.

DDyne wanted to talk to him but realized that while this was a game world to Dyne, this was life for Bertugo. Dyne could tell that the Gobu Gobu was really enjoying himself.

“Erm... Where will he umm... stay?” Dyne asked.

“Don’t worry, kid! He can stick with us! I think we can give him some hays to lie on for tonight. We’ll make him a neat bed tomorrow!” The hunter asked.

Dyne went towards the apparently groggy Bertugo and asked if Bertugo was alright. Bertugo kept nodding and nodding his head as he trailed off and burped. The Slime was right next to Berutgo, doing nothing.

Dyne laughed and went back towards the Genesis Tree.

As he gazed at the power of the Genesis Tree, Dyne sat down right under it.

“The Mist can cause emotional changes, huh?” Dyne recalled as he sat down.

“Well, now... it’s time to put my theory to the test.” Dyne frowned.

Here are more in-game characters:
Vahn's father and sister:
Mei (Vahn's love interest)
Juno (Mei's father) died at the start of the game so I can't get a screenshot of him alive.

44