Bastard (1)
160 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The city of Arx was startled by the rampant news that had seemingly reached everyone's ears. The rumors were going around the Garrison guards, civilians, and mercenaries alike of a new scandal seemingly happening with their Lord, Robert Idicium.

 

“Didn’t you hear? Lord Idicium found out he had a child with another Noble’s wife… Now he’s coming to his household!” A lady was talking to a grocer while buying food.

 

“How can that be possible? Doesn’t he already have a son from his late wife?” The grocer asked back.

 

“Some servants told me that the Lord doesn’t even call his son by his name, weird ain’t it…” A grizzled veteran joined the conversation.

 

The entire city and beyond were perplexed by the Lord bringing in a bastard, and a great many outside Nobles and organizations alike were also watching the situation with a keen interest. Rumors had become rampant in the city of Arx, and were slowly beginning to spread further into the surrounding Noble Lands.

 

Trouble will fall upon the Southern Domain of the Fortunis Empire, yet this was only the beginning.

When night falls, so do the lights in the city of Arx. Not far from Arx in the nearby forest there was a large estate in direct contrast to the city. Around the estate were twelve foot walls and patrols regularly doing rounds to protect the estate and their Lord. The estate was large enough to store and hold hundreds of personnel on the grounds. Within the estate, there stood a dark residence with but a single window lit up.

 

Sitting upright in front of the window was an eight year old boy, though taller and more muscular than most his age. With short umber-colored hair and face that exuded the childlike innocence the boy stared at the window, his eyes shrouded in a deep haze. His face could only be described as wild, and already showing the beginning signs of a handsome young man. This eight year old boy was Viran Idicium, the son of Robert Idicium and heir-presumptive of the Marquess House that ruled the surrounding lands.

 

Viran had already gone through his lessons for the day and had thought that today would be another simple day for him, but only now was he aware that his Father was taking in a new son- and a bastard at that. Viran was seemingly indifferent to the situation as he continued to stare into the abyss outside of his window, the only illumination being a lantern that was placed in front of him.

 

‘... A new Brother, huh.’ Viran’s only warmth in his damp room were his thoughts racing.

 

Suddenly, a light knock is heard on the door. After waiting a few moments the door creaks open revealing a pale face, as though it were a carcass. This pale face was a tutor and personal aide of Viran, he would usually teach Viran much about the magic that envelopes their world. The lanky body and pale face belonged to Spion, the tutor and aide.

 

“Lord Viran. My Lord wishes for you to meet him.” As usual, the voice of Spion could only be described as a low tune from a broken instrument.

 

Viran absentmindedly nods, sighing heavily as he hops off of his seat and begins to put a light vest over his clothing. Opening the door of his room Viran is met with a stark darkness all too familiar to him, the lantern slowly makes the darkness recede from his vision. Viran lived separately from everyone else in the estate, and the servants that were supposed to attend to him usually find some excuse to leave his residence. Having eight rooms inside of a large house yet only one inhabitant, was a lonely yet true norm for the young Viran. 

 

Leaving the residence, the duo begin to walk through the paved paths that are barely illuminated by the lantern’s light. With every step taken Viran would have another thought pop into his head, he felt suffocated by the darkness surrounding him and the events that were about to transpire.

 

‘Please, don’t be seen different from me.’ This vain hope of Viran concerning his new Brother was all he could hold on in the cold night.

 

A residence five times the size of Virans own enters his vision, when the doors are opened for him by the servants he is greeted with a large luxurious vestibule donning a large chandelier overhead having a natural glint of gold and precious gems embedded within. A faint laughter can be heard by Virans keen ears, making his body tremble and eyes stiffen immediately.

After the doors had closed behind them, Virans body language becomes noticeably different and stagnant to the keen eyes of Spion. Viran struggles to walk forward more, and his feet stagnate before stopping.

 

"Lord Viran, it would be rude of us to make my Lord wait. Are you feeling under the weather perhaps?" Spion's voice was in a lighthearted tone, as though he was mocking the young boy.

 

"I'm-I'm fine. Let's continue" Viran's feet begin walking forward once more, as the laughter in the distance becomes more and more apparent.

 

Standing in front of a door inside of the residence, he begins to lightly knock before opening the door. The door reveals a study adorned with a multitude of books, weapons, and expensive pieces of painting. In the middle of the study was a large desk filled with papers that were now scattered everywhere, and two pairs of hands slowly gathering them together again.

 

The laughter had stopped, and the mood had darkened considerably in the room. A man of average height and weight sat there, his face revealing a well tempered beard and a wild face. His hair also bears a keen umber colored gleam similar to Virans. This was Marquess Robert Idicium, the Father of Viran.

 

Opposite of the man stood a bright-faced young man with a head of dark hair the color of coal. The boy was considerably shorter and skinnier compared to Viran and, contrary to his wild looks, had a fair and graceful face. This boy was Gregory Idicium, the half-brother of Viran.

 

Hearing the door opening Lord Idiciums slowly fades into an apathy known by many around the estate and beyond. Lord Idiciums hands slowly stop as he folds them over each other and places them over his desk before speaking in a rough tone.

“That’s all Spion, you may leave.” Hearing the door close Lord Idicium continues, “I know you already know so I will skip all formalities, this is Gregory. Your new brother and I expect you to be respectful to him.”

 

Virans face contorts into a frown as he walks further into the room. Face to face with Gregory, Viran realizes his hopes related to having a new brother were about to be broken immediately.

 

‘That grin, he’s mocking me isn’t he…’ Virans mind quickly comes to a firm conclusion.

 

“Hello Viran. I hope we can have a nice relationship between us, though we are only half-brothers I would like you to treat me as though we are true and real brothers.” Gregorys face warps into a kind hearted smile.

 

Seeing this smile Virans eyes dim as he cannot truly believe his new brother. Viran turns his eyes towards Lord Idicium and sees a rare smile plastered on his face, eyes that were focused solely on the back of Gregory.

 

“Yes. I hope we can get along as well, brother.” Viran says this with a stifled tone.

 

“That’s good, you two should get along since you’re now family.” Lord Idiciums smile fades as he directs his eyes towards Viran, “Help him make accommodations in the estate, your schedules with the teachers will also change. Here, you both may leave as well.”

 

Taking a sealed envelope Viran says his regards to Lord Idicium before leaving with Gregory in tow. Unsealing the letter shows instructions towards Viran, detailing his and Gregory’s new schedules.

 

“Right Gregory, looks like you’ll get a room towards the east wing of the residence near the kitchen. You will also be taught by multiple tutors at a regular time everyday and…” Virans feet without warning stop in front of Gregory’s door as his voice trails off.

 

“And what? Viran?” Gregory’s concerned tone sounds off in Virans right ear taking him out of his thoughts.

 

“Oh no, no it’s nothing. Hahaha, well it has gotten quite late. I wish you a good night's rest.” Viran quickly exits the scene.

 

Viran eventually reaches the outside of the residence once again and he finally stops. Tears begin to form inside of his eyes as he clenches on the letter harshly, the tears begin to overflow.

 

“Why… Why. Why is Gregory so special…” A voice eeks out of his body, a voice filled with dejection and fright.

 

As Virans tears fall, servants and guards alike are seen around him. Though none offers any words to the boy as they walk by. They all had treated him as if he was air itself. This was always natural for Viran. Whenever a servant would gladly offer him sympathies, or if they were we even serve him they would be gone within the week. These people were just trying to protect their lifestyles, yet such an act elicited a deep sadness in the boy.

 

Gregory would have his own room in the same residence as their Father, while Viran would be subjected to living in his own residence alone. Gregory had also taken all of Virans tutors, and would work in the morning while Viran would work in the middle of the night. Viran had spent three whole years already with all of his tutors, yet they were all about to be taken.

 

Viran begins an unsteady gait towards his own residence, tears and snot staining his clothes and face deeply.

Robert Idiciums face shows no emotion as he stares at the back of his son. A deep apathy is only shown from all courses of his body, as though he wasn’t even thinking.

 

“Hahh-” A deep sigh releases from Robert Idicium’s face before he quickly stops himself and begins to clench his fists.

 

Robert Idicium spins on his heels as he leaves the window and the descending view of Viran and walks towards his study. Going through the intertwining hallways Robert Idicium is greeted with the sight of Spion standing in front of his door standing in a firm upright position.

 

“Greetings my Lord. I had come here to bring a message concerning Gregory.”

“Hmph. From who?” Robert Idicium asks while pushing the door open.

 

“Some surrounding Nobles such as Baron Oros and Count De Met have all sent runners to question the rumors about Gregory. They are curious as to why you had brought your bastard into the household, especially at such a time when there is much upheaval in the Empire.”

 

Hearing this Robert Idicium grunts in an unhappy manner and quickly shoos Spion away. While Spion is walking away Robert Idicium looks closer at Spion.

 

For some inexplicable reason, Robert Idicium was puzzled by the nature of Spion. Brushing it off, Robert Idicium closes the door to his study marking the end of the day.

3